New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Why doesn't Vaarsuvius use a wizard's staff?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock View Post
    I dunno, I think the nicest spells for that level are in abjuration and transmutation schools. Shadow Evocation is pretty nice as well. Prismatic Wall, Mind Blank, Shadow Evocation (though that's more useful for an illusionist or sorceror) and Temporal Stasis are all crazy good. And polymorph any object is.... yeah. Lets just say it needs some errata. Though I would find it highly entertaining if Xykon was finally defeated by being permanently polymorphed into an inanimate giant femur (And then a day later into a chamber pot via multiple castings.)
    PAO is insane, yes. Honestly better than a lot of 9th level spells. But every Conjuration except Trap the Soul is potentially a game-changer at that level. Incendiary Cloud at Azure City might have been enough to save the city, if not the Gate. Same with both the summons. Maze has no save and can rid a party of quite a fair number of opponents for long enough to get out of their sensory input range, or to lay a Hell of an ambush if it lasts even 3-4 rounds with no other threats in the immediate area.

Clone is always useful to have active, Horrid Wilting deals untyped damage, which is awesome just for not being negative energy damage in that school, but untyped is phenomenal. Given how far V has taken Explosive Runes, Symbol of Death should make you quail in terror. Create Greater Undead has all the usual uses of minion-making spells.

Actually it's kind of Evocation that gets the short end of the stick here; Sunburst is kind of Mass Blindness with damage tacked on against non-undead. Polar Ray's real use is in Epic levels, Telekinetic Sphere has sharply limited usage unless you habitually fight around cliffs, lava, or otherwise in locations where moving an enemy around is of great value, and Greater Shout's damage is lackluster for the level unless you're regularly fighting things that resist all elemental damage. Clenched Fist is great for taking out other casters, but still fairly situational. Then again, Evocation is kind of a meh school anyhow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

2. - Top - End - #92

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Given all this, it would not be at all surprising if Vaarsuvius knows Sunburst. The claim that Vaarsuvius must know Sunburst is a reach, but there are very good in-comic reasons for her to have learned it, and it should not provoke "deus ex machina" accusations if she uses it at some point.
    And honestly, this is one of the rare areas that there can be absolutely no cry of deus ex machina; after all, he doesn't need to say what spell V has at all times in his spellbook.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Durkon who can choose any spells never chooses undead-specific ones even when they know they're going to be fighting a Lich, so we expect V to pick one as one of hir only two spells?
    They know absolutely no such thing. Going into Draketooth's hideout, under the impression that they alone know its location and Xykon is on the other side of the world still playing the sewer level, it makes infinitely more sense to prepare an information-gathering spell rather than an anti-Xykon spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #94

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    They know absolutely no such thing. Going into Draketooth's hideout, under the impression that they alone know its location and Xykon is on the other side of the world still playing the sewer level, it makes infinitely more sense to prepare an information-gathering spell rather than an anti-Xykon spell.
    Not so; shortly after Girard's illusion pointed out to the Order that the coordinates Soon had for the gate were false, Roy made mention of the fact that Xykon has Serini's diary and thus the true location. Further, they know Xykon has Greater Teleport for a certainty. They don't know for a certainty that Xykon has his bling back, but they have an oracular guarantee that Girard's gate is Xykon's next target, and that he has the coordinates and Greater Teleport. If they get to a still-standing Gate, then they know to expect Xykon at any moment. This is where Roy's prophecy pays off; Azure City was frankly doomed in any case, even if Roy had know at that time that it would be the actual next target. If not for the prophecy, if they came to Girard's Gate intact, they might have to panic that they picked the wrong Gate to protect. The prophecy assures them Xykon has to be here before Kraagor's.

Spoiler
    Show
    I believe this is where the tension will arise, though - the Order does NOT yet know much about Kraagor's Gate, and Xykon does, and still has Greater Teleport. Even if the Order keeps this Gate away from Team Evil, they can pop right on over to Kraagor's - but we know from Azure City that the Ritual will take a few weeks to finish, so that's the Order's catch-up time. I rather expect this is the likely outcome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

5. - Top - End - #95

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    They don't know for a certainty that Xykon has his bling back, but they have an oracular guarantee that Girard's gate is Xykon's next target, and that he has the coordinates and Greater Teleport. If they get to a still-standing Gate, then they know to expect Xykon at any moment.
    However, they are also expecting to get some warning from Hinjo about Xykon's arrival, and they're probably expecting that warning to give them at least a day or so notice--nobody they know was present when Xykon threatened to teleport to the Gate two rounds after his phylactery was found, for instance, and the Resistance was nicely in place when they left for Sandsedge. The utter destruction of the Resistance has shortened timescales considerably, but they don't know that yet!

6. - Top - End - #96

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    However, they are also expecting to get some warning from Hinjo about Xykon's arrival, and they're probably expecting that warning to give them at least a day or so notice--nobody they know was present when Xykon threatened to teleport to the Gate two rounds after his phylactery was found, for instance, and the Resistance was nicely in place when they left for Sandsedge. The utter destruction of the Resistance has shortened timescales considerably, but they don't know that yet!
    Well, they don't know Xykon intends to teleport in shortly, but they knew before they ever reached the Western continent that he *can*, so it's not unreasonable for them to have prepared for the concept that Xykon either would beat them there, or would arrive not long after them. Especially if Elan has taught them much about drama. ;)

As I said, once they find the Gate, if it's still intact and they don't see any evidence of tampering, they know Xykon hasn't been in yet, and that he will be there before Kraagor's - and they DO know he's coming; remember Durkon was willing to blow XP to summon Devas even if they'd just be a speed bump for Xykon.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

So then why did Durkon have spells like Turn Undead and Mass Death Ward prepared? They don't seem all that useful for information gathering. And as evidenced by some of the other spells Durkon either cast or mentioned, he was definitely prepared for combat.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavenskull View Post
    So then why did Durkon have spells like Turn Undead and Mass Death Ward prepared? They don't seem all that useful for information gathering. And as evidenced by some of the other spells Durkon either cast or mentioned, he was definitely prepared for combat.
    Turn Undead's not a spell. It's a class ability.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Spamalot in the Playground

Haven't you guys read Origin? V is not very good at magic items and the crafting thereof. The fact that Malack and Leeky are running around with custom Staves of Houserule doesn't mean that V is capable of or even inclined towards the same.

It's not that "people think" it's abnormal. It is abnormal, because the system requires magic items to function as intended, and is very explicit about the fact.
    Yes, but beyond your bog-standard +X weapon and +Y attribute clothing item to keep up with the monster manual, most other things (including spell-trigger/spell-completion items) fall under the DM's purview, particularly should the players be unable or unwilling to craft said items themselves.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Turn Undead's not a spell. It's a class ability.
    Oops, I spaced that. Well, the rest of it still applies at least.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Because there's absolutely no narrative purpose for it other than to satisfy people who want the characters to more accurately reflect common D&D player strategies, and I am actively seeking to disappoint such people so they stop expecting that. Basically, the fact that "every decent player" does something has become a reason for me to NOT do it now, just to try to get people to stop asking.

Given that I've never listed what spells V has, what possible difference would it make for him/her to cast some of them from memory and some of them from a staff, other than making more work for me to have to explain to the readers, "This spell came from the staff!"?

Also, because it would be a pain in the ass to have to keep track of one more large equipment object in every panel V appears in. Is he/she holding it? Where did he/she leave it? Which hand was he/she holding it in last panel? Malack's staff has turned into an annoyance in that regard, hence the reason he put it down right before the fight began. I'm not about to make things harder for myself for no benefit.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

12. - Top - End - #102

Death Ward is useful against far more than undead - it shuts down some of game's nastiest effects. If Durkon hadn't prepared any Death Wards at all, that'd be incredibly foolish of him. Likewise, it would have been folly not to prepare combat spells, but judging by how quickly he ran out, he obviously didn't prepare many.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #103

DruidGuy

I wish the Giant didn't post; it was fun looking at these reasons as to why he wouldn't.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's an actual answer, though.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

15. - Top - End - #105

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyAnonymous View Post
    It's an actual answer, though.
    Yeah, those are always welcome. Still, I wish it was something like "V has a vicious allergy to hickory wood, or whatever staffs are made of" joke answer.

Knowing this site at times, a definitive "this is why" is always a good thing, of course, no complaints from me.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think a joke answer would also have put an end to the speculation.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think it was preparation in case Xykon happened to arrive, remember that all antagonists arrive at the speed of Plot, and with Elan on his team, he would be well-versed in such bardic conventions. But on a serious note, he prepared most of his combat spells to be Undead-Facing Powers, Death Ward and the aid friends/destroy undead Heal Spell etc. Or spells to clear out hordes of lesser hobgoblins, like Thor's Might. It just happened to also be effective against Malack, as Malack was also undead. Remember that he didn't know Malack was an undead enemy, so most of the spells were not meant to be used on anyone but Xykon. Also, he's a cleric, turn undead is a class feature, not a spell, he has it "prepared" everyday.
    When people told you that you were dumb, they were being nice.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    Is reshaping the laws of physics with naught but my incredible intellect not enough for you plebiscites? Do you also require me to lug around a phallic symbol to pointlessly supplement my ultimate arcane power? Perhaps I should also carry a bow, in case scorching my enemy to cinders with my bare hands is not sufficiently entertaining for you.
    This.
    OotS is a story, and as such, the characters rightly have their own reasons for doing or not doing certains things, independently from what "every sensible player" would do if the comic were a game of D&D.