New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default GitP WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne group

I was wondering if anyone was interested in making a Gitp Warcraft 3 battlenet group?

Edit:Sorry I'm having trouble inserting a picture to my sig now.
    Last edited by Istari; 2007-09-25 at 07:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warcraft Gitp Group

EDIT: (original post replaced with organisational stuff)

So, in order to get this organised, I will edit every relevant information into this post here.

There are two GitP WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne groups now - one focussing on custom maps, and meeting on Fridays, and one focussing on melee (i.e., normal WarCraft), meeting on Sundays. There is a also a third GitP group focussing on DotA, but it is independant of the group organised within this thread; the associanted thread can be found here (warning, no guarantee of this link being updated, can be outdated). There is a fair chance of meeting some of us in the BattleNet on other days, too, so if you want to play, just come and see whether some of us are online.

The people who expressed interest in the custom map group are, so far (BattleNet names in brackets):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Istari (Istari.)
    The Orange Zergling (Baneling_Aspect)
    tannish2 (tannish2)
    starwoof
    Artemician
    Crispy Dave (Crispydave)
    LiteYear (own1-LiteYear)
    WhatIsGravity (WhatIsGravity)
    RationalGoblin (SplendidTuesday)
    The Randomizer (Sirendeous)
    DarkLightDragon (DarkLightDragon)
    Setra (BDSetra)
    PePe_QuiCoSE (Yakkul)
    Maged
    Winterwind (Winterwind_GitP)
    Poison_Fish (flibs)
    Slaanesh (Slaanash)
    SirSigfried (libertarian_sdr)
    Penthar (Penthar)
    Drago (Drago_the_Lord)
    Battlefield (Ianley)
    Swok (SomewhatOkay)
    Blood (Moozy)
    Mrmud (Blargade)
    Greenpepa (Aeroth99)
    Lord_Asmodeus (Lord_Asmodeus)
    Leper_Kahn (LeperKahn)
    Silfir (Silfir)
    Marek (Vinnam)
    Cynan Machae (CynanMachae)
    Albub
    Bitzeralisis (Bitzeralisis)
    theterran (TerraFormer)
    legoshrimp (legoshrimp)
    LahmiaVampire
    easyname (easyname)
    Darth Mario (darth-mario)
    Point Blank (P0int Blank)
    Goldstein (gold.stein)
    Myone (Admiral_Konaa)
    Lykos (Lykos)
    Zakama (Zakama)
    Slash_712 (Slasher_712)
    Siosilvar (Siosilvar)
    atomsized (atomsized)
    detrevnisisiht (detrevnisisiht)
    u-gotNOgame (u-gotNOgame)
    Kizara (Star_Moon)
    Catseye2121 (TheFieryTower)
    Glyphic (Ironlock, Glyphic_GitP)
    Hyunkel (Hyunkel)
    nooblade (nooblade)
    Nohwl (Nohwl)
    TheStagesmith (TheStagesmith)
    Forderz (Forderz)
    Raroy (Ralvious)
    Kayes (Kayes)
    AgentPaper (ThePaper)
    Duos
    Killersquid
    Bergett (Bergett)
    Battleship789 (Battleship789)
    Rigel Cyrosea (Rigel_Cyrosea)
    LordShotGun
    shadow_archmagi (shadow_archmagi)
    Demons_eye (GitP_Demons_Eye)
    The Linker (Lilplinka)
    toddex
    742 (742)

The people who expressed interest in the melee group are, so far (BattleNet names in brackets):
    Spoiler
    Show
    SirSigfried (Libertarian_SDR)
    Raroy (Ralvious)
    atomsized (atomsized)
    Forderz (Forderz)
    Cynan Machae (CynanMachae)
    Slaanesh (Slaanash)
    legoshrimp (legoshrimp)
    Mrmud (Blargade)
    theterran (TerraFormer)
    PrincessAlicia (PrincessAlicia)
    Winterwind (Winterwind_GitP)
    Darth Mario (darth-mario)
    Glenstorm (Glenstorm)
    u-gotNOgame (u-gotNOgame)
    Catseye2121 (TheFieryTower)
    The Orange Zergling (Baneling_Aspect)
    Rigel Cyrosea (Rigel_Cyrosea)
    742 (742)

Anyone else who wants to join in, feel free to do so. The more the merrier.

Meeting place is the Azeroth server (USEast), channel op GitP.

The official meeting time is for the custom map group is every Friday, 4 PM EST(=GMT-5). For the melee group it is every Sunday, around the same hour. However, the hours are just a guideline; typically, people can be found online long, long before that. Of course, these meeting times are always open to discussion, if people should prefer a different time.
    Also feel free to use this thread to arrange spontaneous games.

I suggest putting each other on our friend lists to make seeing who is online easier.

4 PM EST corresponds to the following times in various time zones:
    1 PM Pacific = 2 PM Mountain = 3 PM Central = 4 PM Eastern = 5 PM Atlantic = 10 PM Central European

We have our own channel bot, GitP@USEast, by courtesy of Leper_Kahn and Cynan Machae. Its capabilities and functions are described here. For optimum functionality, it would be helpful if everyone added the bot to their friend-lists.

A few guides for some of the custom maps we play in the group, written by our members:

A guide to SWAT, courtesy of nooblade:
    Useful links:

A guide for Parasite 2 courtesy of Slaanash and Darth Mario.

A guide to Castle Fight, courtesy of Darth Mario:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Castle Fight

The basics of gameplay are simple. You control a single worker, who constructs three kinds of buildings and can purchase items. The three types are: Unit Spawn, which create units that run at the opponents base and attack; Towers; which fire at attacking units; and Special Buildings, which have various effects to buff your units and hurt/debuff your enemy's. Castle Fight is played with two teams of workers facing off against one another. You win when you destroy your opponent's castle, although usually this is just a formality: a win is obvious before the castle comes under fire.

General unit information:

Units come in three types: Melee, Ranged and Air. In most cases, melee units can only attack other melee or ranged units, and ranged and air units can attack anyone. There are three major weapon types and three major armor types. These work somewhat like a game of rock-paper-scissors:

Normal damage is great against Medium armor, decent against Heavy, and poor against Light.
    Magic damage is great against Heavy armor, decent against Light, and poor against Medium.
    Piercing damage is great against Light armor, decent against Medium, and poor against Heavy.

This dynamic is probably the most crucial one to the game. Memorizing and following this chart is essential.

There are a few other types of damage and armor.

Chaos damage does it's full, normal damage against armor types. It is best used against Divine armor or as a poor man's siege unit, though is a good choice against anything.
    Hero damage deals slightly increased damage to all three major armor types and Unarmored armor, and slightly higher than normal against Divine, but is poor against buildings. This is the best damage type in the game, only three units possess it (the Human Paladin, the Undead Skeleton General, and the Mechanical Adamantine Golem).
    Siege damage is most often used against buildings. It deals reduced damage to all armor types except for Fortified and Unarmored. It should be used once your army is about to break into your opponent's base, since it is offensive in nature. It can also be used effectively against Unarmored enemies.

Unarmored armor takes slightly increased damage from all attack types except for Chaos. This is the usual armor type for casters, though a few other units possess this type. These units are weak, and should be protected, since any unit can kill them with relative ease.
    Divine armor is the best in the game. It takes dramatically reduced damage from all damage types except for chaos (though it is slightly vulnerable to Hero damage). It can be used against almost any unit, especially units from the Orc, Human, High Elf and Corrupted races (these races either lack affordable Chaos damage or have none at all). Only three units have this armor type: the Undead Banshee, occasionally the Chaos Blood Fiend, and the Mechanical Adamantine Golem.
    Fortified armor is the armor type of all buildings. It takes reduced damage from all damage types except from Chaos and Siege.

Races:

Humans are a good all-around race with cheap units.
    Strengths: The Paladin is alternately known as the Imbadin. There is a good reason for this. Warlocks are excellent against swarms of enemy units. Defenders will essentially shut down ranged attackers.
    Weaknesses: Despite what it says on the label, Warlocks deal spell damage, not chaos damage. This means that Divine armor units cannot be countered by humans. The human tower is poor.

Orcs, like humans, possess relatively cheap units. Their buffs are considered the best in the game. Orcs are a primarily ranged race.
    Strengths: Buffs, buffs and more buffs. With Shamen, three different kinds of Kodo Riders, and Ceremonial Altars (name? I'm writing this without the game in front of me), Orcs make their teammates flat out better. They also have great debuffs, with the Wyvern's Slow Poison, the Serpent Rock, and the Troll Trapper's net.
    Weaknesses: A lack of melee options. Orcs, like humans, completely lack chaos damage. Their tower is vulnerable to ground units.

High Elves, have the most expensive units in the game, but also have some of the strongest units.
    Strengths: Power. The High Elves do everything well, from the Blademaster, a fast-attacking high damage melee unit, to the Master Archer, a ranged unit that does high damage and occasionally stuns an opponent, to the Sorceress/Wizard, which casts chain heal and chain lightning. Also, the City of Magic will disable 2-3 of your enemy's units at any time, and is extremely cost effective. Don't leave base without one. Or five.
    Weaknesses: If you mess up, it's hard to recover. Since their units are so expensive, your enemy will outnumber you and will be able to respond to your builds faster than you can to theirs.

The other 6 races to come.

Building placement
    The layout of each castle is as follows: From the castle go two lanes, one on the top, the other on the bottom. Between them and on their sides is area where buildings can be built. On their way to the enemy castle, the lanes pass through two walls; at each of these gates, the terrain subsides, so that ranged units that attack along the lane have to shoot up (and hence, tend to miss) when attacking targets more inside the castle.

So where is the right position to place what types of buildings?
    Obviously, due to elevated terrain and the protection from melee units granted by the walls, the only two positions eligible for setting up the defense are the inner sides of the two walls. Since there are several reasons speaking in favour of setting up the defense as far back as possible (including: better protection for the castle itself, a more central position within the castle making it easier to reach coins (if any are in play), and more time for the troops to turn the battle on their own without endangering the fragile towers), the position to defend should be the inner wall.

Hence, towers should be built along the inner side of the inner wall. Always start building the towers at the middle of the wall, and go outwards from there - towers have enough range to protect both lanes easily even from the middle, and this way the big investment of a tower will be helpful no matter along which lane the danger approaches.
    One very important thing to note about towers: They always draw the attention of all enemy units within their range upon themselves. If your team has a tower, other buildings will be attacked only if they can be attacked from out of the tower's range (or if the enemy has splash damage and targets normal units). Usually this also means that the tower gets absolute priority for repairing, as it will be the only thing attacked.

This also means that nothing must ever be built in the area between the inner and the outer wall - it won't be protected be the towers. There are no exceptions to this - building something outside the inner wall is practically suiciding it.

Creep spawning buildings can basically be placed whereever, there are a few things to note about them though:
    • Firstly, they obviously shouldn't be built along the inner wall - that place is reserved for towers.
    • Secondly, it is usually a good move to build some buildings along the inner sides of both lanes, starting right at the inner wall, so that these buildings make the way to the towers longer for melee units. The units need to be able to get out though, and since units appear below the building that spawns them, if the bottom line of buildings happens to be much shorter than the one on top, path-finding of the units on the top lane can be confused, causing them to march along the bottom lane, unnecessarily weakening the top lane, so ideally just have about 4 buildings built side by side from the wall to where the two lanes start to curve towards the castle on the inner side of each lane, and build the other creep-spawning buildings elsewhere.
    • Thirdly, buildings built at the outer side of the lanes, right at the inner wall, are just barely within tower range. This means ranged units can be able to attack them without entering tower range. Since the towers should, ideally, protect the entire base, if you are going to build on the outer side of the lanes, do so a few spaces away from the inner wall.
    • The middle, between the two lanes, right behind the towers, is where buildings helping with repairing go (like Naga Coral Statues or Goblin Spare Part Yards). Note there must be enough space for the builders to fit in so they can repair. Further back is a good place for air units, as from there they will be sent along the middle and engage whatever targets they spot first on either lane (meaning they will always help the lane where the battle is taking place closer to your castle, i.e. the one where things are going worse for your team, which is generally desirable).
    • Since units should arrive as soon as possible, creep-spawning buildings should ideally be built as much to the front as possible without endangering them.

Special buildings are usually rather costly and valuable, so they should be built as far in the back as possible, where they are save.

Since a lot of special buildings can deal area damage to the enemy base, it is usually best not to cluster up too much, especially not to cluster up the most valuable stuff too much.

(more to follow)

A guide to Island Defense, courtesy of u-gotNOgame.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-04-13 at 08:42 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

3. - Top - End - #3

Thanks I fixed my sig. By the way do you know if we can play together even though we are in different timezones? I'm in EST

4. - Top - End - #4

If ladder wasn't the sole purpose of the clan, and even then depending on what custom games we would play on the sidelines. I'm in CST.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Istari View Post
    Thanks I fixed my sig. By the way do you know if we can play together even though we are in different timezones? I'm in EST
    Sure we can, provided we can agree on a time. EST? If I'm not mistaken, that's 6 hours behind me. So when it's 8 PM for you, it's 2 AM on the next day for me.
    Good thing I'm a night person.

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Zergling View Post
    If ladder wasn't the sole purpose of the clan, and even then depending on what custom games we would play on the sidelines. I'm in CST.
    I enjoy custom games, but prefer "normal" games - can be against BNet opponents or each other, I don't care. So I'd hope we wouldn't limit ourselves to custom games, either.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-09-25 at 07:25 PM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Zombie

ok you CAN play on any server at any time. the only difference is the anme and physical location of the server. THATS IT. obviously it takes a bit more time for your command to go all around the world 2x to get to the server than it would to just go nextdoor. but thats the only difference and its not THAT bad. i play on USwest mostly, but the whole universe would implode and then the whole of time and space will have being (time travel is involced) ceasing to have ever existed if i went to my USeast account (also i dont have a shiny picture and level 20ness)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

At least during that StarCraft game we played on Saturday I didn't notice any more lag to USEast than I usually have to Europe. So, no big deal.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

8. - Top - End - #8

I would join it. I wouldn't play off of USWest though, because I don't believe in East.
    Last edited by starwoof; 2007-09-25 at 08:21 PM.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Sounds good.

I just picked the game up again. I've primarily been playing custom games, but I keep considering moving into normal ones. I play in WST, but I'm alright with changing.

Also, we are talking Frozen Throne, right?

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    I enjoy custom games, but prefer "normal" games - can be against BNet opponents or each other, I don't care. So I'd hope we wouldn't limit ourselves to custom games, either.
    Well, yeah, I meant if the focus was entirely on ladder I'd not be interested. Or DotA.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Zombie

ladder is fun but gets boring. DOTA is a creation of pure evil, that i will not be touching with a 20 foot pole and a biohazard suit. also we should probably pick one server for both the SC thing and the WC thing. just because
    Last edited by tannish2; 2007-09-26 at 12:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    Also, we are talking Frozen Throne, right?
    Wanted to ask that myself. We are talking Frozen Throne, aren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by tannish2 View Post
    ladder is fun but gets boring. DOTA is a creation of pure evil, that i will not be touching with a 20 foot pole and a biohazard suit.
    Heh. I wouldn't have expressed it so drastically, but I generally second your notion regarding DotA. As for ladder, I don't find it's getting boring, but they tend to be highly exhausting; custom games are more recreational. Plus, they are fun. So I hope for both.

Well, yeah, I meant if the focus was entirely on ladder I'd not be interested. Or DotA.
    Understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by starwoof View Post
    I would join it. I wouldn't play off of USWest though, because I don't believe in East.
    also we should probably pick one server for both the SC thing and the WC thing. just because
    We don't have to do that necessarily, but I think the USEast server is the most fair one - it's pretty central for all of us, unless people from Asia join up, that is.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2007-09-26 at 04:46 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #13

I'm interested, pretty much. I'm okay with anything, really, Custom Games, Ladder, and DotA, anything goes.

I'm in GST +8. Could have a bit of a time zone problem. *Uneasy laugh*

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemician View Post
    I'm in GST +8. Could have a bit of a time zone problem. *Uneasy laugh*
    Well... when it is afternoon in America, it is morning for you (and nighttime for me). Alternatively, when it is night in America, it is afternoon for you, and morning for me. Either of those might work.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

15. - Top - End - #15

I peronally dont have frozen throne but the servers are compatable right?
    As for the time I was thinking somtime Saturday when we would do a collcetion of custom and regular games.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Zombie

U DONT HAVE FROZEN THRONE!?!?!? wow. u HAVE to get it. it has a lot more cool **** for the customs, custom spells for one.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I peronally dont have frozen throne but the servers are compatable right?
    Yes and no. Those are the same servers; in fact, the BattleNet uses the same servers for all games, so you could have WC3-players, StarCraft-players and Diablo-players chatting all in one channel. However, the games themselves are not compatible. Isn't a problem though, it merely means the people with TFT would have to use their Reign of Chaos CDs instead. Maybe not even that, TFT might be backwards compatible.
    However, most of our custom maps will not be working, and regular play has been greatly upgraded as well.
    It's up to you, but my advise would be to get TFT as soon as possible. It's worth it.

As for the time I was thinking somtime Saturday when we would do a collcetion of custom and regular games.
    Saturday? Might be colliding with the GitP StarCraft group, but it depends on the time you had in mind.
    So, what time did you have in mind?
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

18. - Top - End - #18

I was thinking around 2:00ish and I'm planning on getting TFT saturday.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking around 2:00ish and I'm planning on getting TFT saturday.
    2:00ish means 2 PM EST, right?
    Yeah, that sounds very well to me (and doesn't collide with the StarCraft group, either).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #20

Yes and no. Those are the same servers; in fact, the BattleNet uses the same servers for all games, so you could have WC3-players, StarCraft-players and Diablo-players chatting all in one channel. However, the games themselves are not compatible. Isn't a problem though, it merely means the people with TFT would have to use their Reign of Chaos CDs instead. Maybe not even that, TFT might be backwards compatible.
    However, most of our custom maps will not be working, and regular play has been greatly upgraded as well.
    It's up to you, but my advise would be to get TFT as soon as possible. It's worth it.
    I had a friend who only had RoC a while back, I don't believe TFT-RoC matches are possible. But we never actually tried he just told me I had to get on RoC if we wanted to play,
    Last edited by The Orange Zergling; 2007-09-26 at 06:12 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Zombie

i would really prefer friday, but 2 PM eastern 11 AM pacific time. thats early.....

oh, and ya i cant find my ROC disk (ill look, but the custom maps kinda suck for it) and im quite sure that they dont work together. cmon, get TFT, you also get one of the better cutscenes in video games.
    Last edited by tannish2; 2007-09-26 at 06:35 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I had a friend who only had RoC a while back, I don't believe TFT-RoC matches are possible. But we never actually tried he just told me I had to get on RoC if we wanted to play,
    It is quite likely. Obviously, if it worked, it had to be a pure RoC match, limited to RoC units, triggers, tilesets and such. I'm not sure whether such a game could be started with a TFT CD instead of a RoC CD, though. I doubt it, but maybe it would work.

i would really prefer friday, but 2 PM eastern 11 AM pacific time. thats early.....
    Both would work for me. I'd probably prefer Friday, of the two, but both are okay.

oh, and ya i cant find my ROC disk (ill look, but the custom maps kinda suck for it) and im quite sure that they dont work together. cmon, get TFT, you also get one of the better cutscenes in video games.
    He'd have to play through three campaigns to get that one, though, for I presume you are not talking about the intro video (which is fine, but not that great, as opposed to the video after the UD campaign).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

23. - Top - End - #23

It is quite likely. Obviously, if it worked, it had to be a pure RoC match, limited to RoC units, triggers, tilesets and such. I'm not sure whether such a game could be started with a TFT CD instead of a RoC CD, though. I doubt it, but maybe it would work.
    You can boot up RoC with a TFT cd and vice versa. Seriously.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Zombie

hhhmmm ill try that right now
    hhhmmm i guess you can, weird. well anyway, TFT customs are way better than ROC ones. (also i kinda like some of the new heroes....)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artemician View Post
    You can boot up RoC with a TFT cd and vice versa. Seriously.
    *forehead slap*
    Ah, I'm stupid, I should've remembered that - now that you say it, I have done so before!

hhhmmm ill try that right now
    hhhmmm i guess you can, weird. well anyway, TFT customs are way better than ROC ones. (also i kinda like some of the new heroes....)
    Not to mention the new units and the new damage/armour types in regard to regular games (I want my magic damage! I want my destroyers! )
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anyone up for some Warcraft 2 action? XD

I'm so 1337 at that game.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current Chars:
    Cora Hilltopple, Rogue 5/Fighter 2 (Left area of gaming group)
    Ethelon, Sorcerer 4 (Campaign postponed indefinitely)
    Altair De'Von, Cleric 1
    Gronth Gaar, Barbarian 1

Avatar is of Cora Hilltopple, made by me!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganon11 View Post
    Anyone up for some Warcraft 2 action? XD

I'm so 1337 at that game.

I'd love to, but I have only the old version, before the BattleNet compatible one came out.
    A guy I go to university with used to be German vice-champion in that game, though, and has told me a lot about the level of perfection some people ultimately attained in that game.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

28. - Top - End - #28

ok ill join right now im addicted to custom games mostly mazes
    PM me for computer hardware advice/help.
    thanks to Simius for the awesome avatar
    cookies drawn by Ceika

29. - Top - End - #29

What time friday then I'm free from school at 3. Again I say I'm most likly getting FT this or next week.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Ok: Uther Party!

Who's played it? Excellent custom game. Gotta have some of those.