New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Gamers: How does your character dress?

My girlfriends character wears a belt with tools and a knife and a cloak.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I swear, about 50% of what makes BW awesome is the little stuff like that that's applicable to just about any system.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The closest I've ever come to seeing any player character, regardless of player, wear anything akin to fantasy female "armor" was for a deliberate con. The party as a whole wanted to be able to hide their identities and methods when convenient while being as famous as possible as heroes straight out of myth, so everybody basically had two sets of gear: practical beastie-slaying wear carefully kept shabby-looking enough not to be obtrusive, and shiny, ludicrously adorned high fantasy costume to wear in town while displaying the slain beasties' heads and letting the bards do their thing. The whole party actually had a lot of fun seeing how many tropes they could pile into their "official" personas, among them chainmail with poor skin coverage.

Come to think of it, that was also one of a very few campaigns in which the question of what characters wore came into play. Most of the time, PCs of all genders, at least the smart ones, got clothes by buying them off the first commoners they met in a region.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Siegel View Post
    Just a belt with tools and a knife and a cloak? That must be... interesting. I have to ask, but do the npcs take notice?

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by Righteous Doggy View Post
    Just a belt with tools and a knife and a cloak? That must be... interesting. I have to ask, but do the npcs take notice?
    yes, most stop in awe and think her a hero
    Last edited by Siegel; 2012-04-29 at 06:36 PM.
    I swear, about 50% of what makes BW awesome is the little stuff like that that's applicable to just about any system.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Is she serious, or one of those victims that just assumes you'll think she wears clothes?

And Serp, your second image doesn't work and leads to a 404 not found.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

6. - Top - End - #36
    Colossus in the Playground

Hope it's a warm cloak, and a soft belt...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    And Serp, your second image doesn't work and leads to a 404 not found.
    Still?!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Yeah, it still doesn't work. No idea why.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

……What setting is this?

cause I have strong bet that its part of a certain setting that begins with a C, in a certain mechanical place that begins with an A, and who can be easily described by two words, one that begins with A, another with E, bearing a strong resemblance to another female character who is canon, who wears nothing but a cloak.

Creation, Autocthonia, Alchemical Exalted, looking like that female Adamant Caste on the cover of Alchemicals
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    ……What setting is this?

cause I have strong bet that its part of a certain setting that begins with a C, in a certain mechanical place that begins with an A, and who can be easily described by two words, one that begins with A, another with E, bearing a strong resemblance to another female character who is canon, who wears nothing but a cloak.

Creation, Autocthonia, Alchemical Exalted, looking like that female Adamant Caste on the cover of Alchemicals
    Hm...

Creation
    Autochthonia
    Alchemical
    Exalted

...Did I get that right?
    Not familiar enough with the setting to know what NPC you might be talking about, though.

EDIT:
    NO, NOT THE WHITE-TEXT! IT'S IN MY QUOTE-BOX, AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-04-30 at 12:30 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    ……What setting is this?

it beginns with M and G.
    Last edited by Siegel; 2012-04-30 at 12:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

I know its been said, but it really depends on the character. The bikini-mail has never really bothered me.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

Honestly, even as a male gamer I've never really done the 'bikini mail' thing. The closest I've come to anything of the sort was on an unarmored mage in a desert setting (so she, ah, she had an excuse). Generally my female characters dress either according to taste first (biker leathers, urban camo) for modern settings or according to profession (hardened leather, chain mail, chameleon suit, etc) for settings where such a thing is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Honestly, even as a male gamer I've never really done the 'bikini mail' thing. The closest I've come to anything of the sort was on an unarmored mage in a desert setting (so she, ah, she had an excuse). Generally my female characters dress either according to taste first (biker leathers, urban camo) for modern settings or according to profession (hardened leather, chain mail, chameleon suit, etc) for settings where such a thing is appropriate.
    Actually, wearing skimpy clothes in the desert is a very bad idea. You want light shades of a light material that protects your entire body from the elements. So unless you were using Endure Elements a lot, you probably should've died.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

14. - Top - End - #44

Actually, wearing skimpy clothes in the desert is a very bad idea. You want light shades of a light material that protects your entire body from the elements. So unless you were using Endure Elements a lot, you probably should've died.
    Fire genasi.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, wearing skimpy clothes in the desert is a very bad idea. You want light shades of a light material that protects your entire body from the elements.
    Yup. Plus, wearing many layers of clothing provides insulation. Just think of bedouins.

EDIT

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Fire genasi.
    Ooops. Our bad, then.
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-04-30 at 01:19 PM.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

16. - Top - End - #46

I try to have a legitimate reason to have any of my characters dressed skimpily.

My extended homebrew sig

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGirl

My paladin wears heavy armor and a shield. So does my cleric, and the rogue I used to play wore a chain shirt over normal, practical, not-revealing clothing.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Almaseti View Post
    My paladin wears heavy armor and a shield. So does my cleric, and the rogue I used to play wore a chain shirt over normal, practical, not-revealing clothing.
    As someone who regularly wears chain and chain-based armors, allow me to say this: you want to wear thick, practical clothing. Yes, you will sweat like a vampire during Pelorian mass, but those rings dig into your flesh like you owe them money, more so if you get by swords, clubs, harsh pushes, stiff breezes or uncouth language, and 'normal' clothes do not help with this whatsoever.

My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

it beginns with M and G.
    Mouseguard?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground

So first of all I do D&D 3.5 and I honestly dress my character attractively. Some times its a wizard in robes that are seriously not meant for traveling in, some times its armor that function as it should but still fits like a glove indicating a womanly form to one character that is actually wearing something like this.
    Spoiler
    Show

Which is totally fluff appropriate.

I like to think that they manage to still look totally sexy in their leather armor with out having their breasts hanging out and their mid-drifts exposed. I am still to practical for that. And its always really annoying when the guys crack jokes about how my barbarian is in a battle thong or something. I want my characters to be BAMF sexy. Where they are hot, but even hotter because they are also a deadly force/ charismatic charmers and what not.

Personal vanity/insecurity coming into play, I never want to do terribly unattractive things so in my fantasy RPG I am not going to be unattractive.

As an interesting note, I do tend to play a lot of women who are small. Either actually in the size category small or medium creatures of lithe builds. IRL I am 5'10" and I might loath short girls (to many times I had to be the guy at the school dance growing up) so my husband has pointed out the fact that I do tend to play shorties more.
    Cl:{D
    Hatchworth Smiles

Character(s)
    Spoiler
    Show

Lydia Deshayes, Socially Awkward Necromancer with a Broken Heart
    Wanderlust, a free spirited, hammer weilding barbarian.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Serena Foxfire, my AD&D Battlemage/psionicist that was the inspiration for my username, is a rather vain and ditzy socialite who insists on wearing the most fashionable clothing possible at all times. Fortunately we mostly do city adventures, so it's not too much of a problem, and in fact can come in handy in situations that rely more on social skills than on fighting.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

While I myself am not female, I tend to facepalm a lot of the time when it comes to how fantasy art is portrayed and that seems pretty much the consensus from both players male, female and otherwise that I've had the pleasure of playing with. Both my male and female characters tend to dress practically, though exceptions do occur usually with the help of magic or mechanics. For example, a male character of mine gets Int to AC while unarmored, so tends to go shirtless so as to display his Con 13 and Cha 12.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

23. - Top - End - #53

GreataxeFighterGirl

I had a female player on one of my groups that gravitated heavily towards the "chain-mail bikini" (or "basically-naked-wizard") trope. She pretty much always made sure to add some gratuitous fan-service to all her characters.

... This became particularly hilarious when she decided to play a male barbarian once.
    Last edited by Ellye; 2012-05-01 at 07:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

Although I'm not a girl. I do play females characters fairly often, if only to have a girl in the party (seriously female characters are statistically more powerful if you consider all the awesome prestige class options), and here is how I dress them.

I dress them according to how they would dress as logic dictates.

The Paladin is in mechanus armor, the gunslinger sniper is in camouflage. The changling is wearing a shapeshifting vest that she changes according to her current identity.

The succubus....well it is in her nature, and when you can assassinate someone via sex, you want to get ravished.

Not kidding one time I was playing a succubus and got kidnapped by some bandits.....they didn't survive the night.

So will I play the "chainmail bikini"? Yes...if my character has a reason IN CHARACTER to be playing the chainmail bikini.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Mouseguard?
    Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner

26. - Top - End - #56

It really depends on the character. I have a general preference for practical in combat and sexy or revealing out of combat, but it isn't universal.

27. - Top - End - #57

Yep, depends on character. If it's D&D, I try not to rely on armor for AC, so my characters can wear whatever they feel like, although it usually involves a mithril chain shirt, just in case. (My PsiWar had one she only wore while sleeping, so it was painted with a pattern of sleeping dragons. She was also the one who spent a third of her WBL on fancy clothes and jewelry, so that was fun.) If it's not D&D, then whatever makes sense given the setting (both fluff and crunch).

I mean really - are the female NPC's walking around nearly naked? I'm not talking "Barbaria the Warrior Queen", but "Jane Commoner, Farmer's Wife". If yes, then it's perfectly reasonable to go out in a chainmail bikini. If not... then why would you do that? It's a very odd double-standard, when all the female peasants are described wearing conservative long skirts and the female PCs are wearing two leather belts and a hair ribbon.
    6-Cha Druid avatar by Savannah!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Spamalot in the Playground

I asked my wife how she would typically dress her "Warrior cleric" characters and she pointed to the poster of Xena. So... I guess that's the look.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, Im afraid I can't say much here, being male in a all-male group. But ever since the party wizard picked up a Thayan witch for a girlfriend, tight fitting robes seem to be the new fashion.
    Check out:
    My Mortal Overhaul for Fifth edition.
    My custom filigree character sheets for 5th Edition.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner

That would appear to be a competently drawn sling, held correctly, with the proper proportions. I don't think I've ever seen that before, outside of about three paintings made by someone on slinging.org.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.