New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    The DM I was going to play a game in lied to me then.

he also said that as a Paladin I'm not allowed to lie or I fall. (honestly, the way the oath is worded that's sort of what it sounds like)
    Technically, he is right.
    3.5: Gross violations = fall.
    Pathfinder: Any violation = fall.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pres_man View Post
    EDIT: As a comparison. Would anyone rationally claim that 3.5 helped keep 3e going strong? Or would most people agree that 3.5 was the last nail for 3e?
    I would say that they are fundamentally the same system, and that the same is true with PF. True, there isn't 100% compatibility. Maybe only 80%. But as someone who has played most of his AD&D adventures converted to 3.5 I would say the conversions really aren't that much. I mean, Construct BaB changes? If the DM remembers the rule it takes 5 seconds to change. If the DM fails to remember the rule, who is even going to notice?

More to the point, the systems are close enough that there is a high degree of player compatibility. Most people who play PF would play and enjoy 3.5, and vice versa. If no one can publish 3.5, and no one cares enough to promote games of 3.5, at least we can carry on with something 3.5 like.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2010-02-03 at 02:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaeus View Post
    More to the point, the systems are close enough that there is a high degree of player compatibility. Most people who play PF would play and enjoy 3.5, and vice versa. If no one can publish 3.5, and no one cares enough to promote games of 3.5, at least we can carry on with something 3.5 like.
    I wouldn't say most. I'd say some, but not most. We have no way of knowing exactly how much of the demographic for either game matches up with the other. And a decent sized chunk of both demographics hate the other game.

And there are a lot of games people continue to play despite not being updated (2nd ed. D&D, OWoD, etc.).
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2010-02-03 at 02:40 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    I wouldn't say most. I'd say some, but not most. We have no way of knowing exactly how much of the demographic for either game matches up with the other. And a decent sized chunk of both demographics hate the other game.
    I would say most. I think we get a disproportionate amount of PF hate on boards by their nature.

This is because, in my experience, most of the people who hate PF do so for one of 2 reasons.

1. "Those jerks at paizo don't know their @$$ from a hole in the ground and when I tried to explain how 3.5/their beta was broken they flamed me!"
    or
    2. "PF made (my favorite class/race/thing) too weak/strong and I hate the change."

#1 is true enough, and does involve a reasonable # of the most active forum posters, but not a large % of the overall gaming public

#2 is an opinion and as such is fair. But again, I think few people who otherwise enjoy 3.5 would be unable to have fun in a game using Paizo rules. It really isn't much different from any other set of 3.5 houserules. I mean, if I sat down at a game of 3.5 and they told me that all the druids use the shapeshift variant, I would frown, make a mental note, and play something that wasn't a druid and have fun. Paizo's changes are minor enough that you have to really loathe one of them to not like a game because of it if you are a 3.5 player. Most of the PF games I have played in could have been 3.5 games with rebound books and it wouldn't have altered play at all.

And there are a lot of games people continue to play despite not being updated (2nd ed. D&D, OWoD, etc.).
    True, but fewer every year. Books are lost and can't be replaced. Players find new hobbies and few new players decide on their own they want to play OWoD or 2nd ed. Few games at cons use out of print systems, and less every year. Good games don't die, but they fade away.
    Last edited by Gnaeus; 2010-02-03 at 03:00 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mean, Construct BaB changes? If the DM remembers the rule it takes 5 seconds to change. If the DM fails to remember the rule, who is even going to notice?
    Yes, if the DM remembers the rule.
    How many BAB progressions for monster types do you have memorized?

As for 5 seconds, I am good with stat blocks. Really good. From comments by others, I have to say I am quite "fast" at doing up stat blocks.
    Changing BAB changes:
    BAB entry
    CMB entry
    CMD entry
    every separate attack entry

For extended stat blocks, it also changes every spell entry requiring an attack roll.

Fast as I will say I am, it takes me a bit more than 5 seconds to change that many entries.

Compound that through every other change with every other creature, and it becomes a significant chore to convert an adventure using anything but SRD creatures. (For which you just look up the new version.)

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Just use the bits from PF you like and ditch what you don't like. It's that simple. Consider if Unearthed Arcana mark 2. It's a great supplement/splat book with lots of alternative class features for the base classes, effectively.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    For example, Rogues now get d8 HD, a bunch more class features, and Sneak Attack isn't blocked by critical immunity (though the target still needs a "discernable anatomy").
    That's because they standardized hit dice and tied it to base attack bonus; classes with 1/2 BAB get d6, classes with 3/4 BAB get d8, and classes with full BAB get d10. The only exception is barbarian, with d12.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

I would say most.
    But you have no idea how many players there are, how many people continue to play, or how many do indeed hate each other. You can't say most because you haven't spoken to most. There is an outspoken minority who hates, a quiet minority who likes, and an overwhelming amount of "Just doesn't give a damn". By saying most, you're giving an opinion, not a fact. By saying some, you're at least correct for the 99.99% of the time that the proportion isn't 0% or 100%*.

*Note: UglyPanda's opinions may or may not be grounded in the basis of reality. Proceed with caution.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Druids got nerfed slightly. Wizards and Sorcerers got stronger. Yeah. Stronger.
    A lot of spells were changed, though. What made wizards and sorcerers so powerful in 3e was the sor/wiz spell list, not their class features. It's the same way in Pathfinder; sure, they have class features now, but they live and die by their spells.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Technically, he is right.
    3.5: Gross violations = fall.
    Pathfinder: Any violation = fall.

Yeah. I'm not playing then. They've pretty much screwed over my favorite class.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

But the good news is, it doesn't cost the Atonement cleric xp to return your class anymore (just lots of money) so if you do happen to breach, you can easily retrieve your abilities again (unless your party cleric is doing something funky).

The true limitation of the paladin class: forcing the rest of your party to build around keeping your high maintenance arse active.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryzouken View Post

The true limitation of the paladin class: forcing the rest of your party to build around keeping your high maintenance arse active.
    yeah. Exactly.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    A lot of spells were changed, though. What made wizards and sorcerers so powerful in 3e was the sor/wiz spell list, not their class features. It's the same way in Pathfinder; sure, they have class features now, but they live and die by their spells.
    What? Over 90% of the spells were completely unchanged at all. Those that were were not really fixed by any definition of the word.

Nope, no real power change here.

Familiars are quick and cheap to replace, though, so charging a touch spell on a toad and using him as a softball is now viable.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-02-03 at 03:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I would say most. I think we get a disproportionate amount of PF hate on boards by their nature.

This is because, in my experience, most of the people who hate PF do so for one of 2 reasons.

1. "Those jerks at paizo don't know their @$$ from a hole in the ground and when I tried to explain how 3.5/their beta was broken they flamed me!"
    or
    2. "PF made (my favorite class/race/thing) too weak/strong and I hate the change."

#1 is true enough, and does involve a reasonable # of the most active forum posters, but not a large % of the overall gaming public

#2 is an opinion and as such is fair. But again, I think few people who otherwise enjoy 3.5 would be unable to have fun in a game using Paizo rules. It really isn't much different from any other set of 3.5 houserules. I mean, if I sat down at a game of 3.5 and they told me that all the druids use the shapeshift variant, I would frown, make a mental note, and play something that wasn't a druid and have fun. Paizo's changes are minor enough that you have to really loathe one of them to not like a game because of it if you are a 3.5 player. Most of the PF games I have played in could have been 3.5 games with rebound books and it wouldn't have altered play at all.
    And group #3, "When WotC asked me to retire my 3.5 books, I politely told them, No Thanks. When Paizo, asks me to do the same, I tell them exact same thing." If the entire game group all has to buy new player's handbooks in order to use the system, then it is too different for me. They can have my 3.5 PHB when they take it from my cold undead hands.

EDIT: Actually, I don't mean hate. More like, disappointed.
    Last edited by pres_man; 2010-02-03 at 04:54 PM.
    Definition of DMPC:
    1: a character that if it was run by a non-DM would be considered a PC; a special kind of Ally (see p. 104 of the 3.5 DMG)
    2: (derogatory) any character used by a DM that disrupts the game
    Need to replace those core 3.5 books, check out Gauric Myths.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

They can have my 3.5 PHB when they take it from my cold undead hands.
    *takes*

*edits a few things that need editing and clears some stuff up*

*gives back*

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I guess my problem with Pathfinder is that I can come up with nifty house rules myself, but what's hard to do is actually balance the classes. I would LOVE to see a 3.5 that was actually balanced, where casters didn't become gods around level 10 and could still play with melees and skillmonkeys at that level, and where any concept that a player might have can be played with any other concept without one of them being too strong and the other too weak.

But Pathfinder didn't actually rebalance in a good way. Sure, they hit Druids, but they needed to do a LOT more, and they needed to not nerf Fighters or buff Wizards. If they had actually gone through the entire spell list and rebalanced it, and had fixed up some of the weaker classes, I might have gone for it.

Plus, if that's all they'd done then preexisting campaigns would still work and it would actually be backwards compatable.

Instead, PF is full of little changes that are in some cases nifty, but have the overall effect of requiring more work for the DM to adapt things and don't tend to have a significant positive change on gameplay. In the end, I'd rather just play a bunch of more balanced non core classes in my party and use the standard 3.5 rules.

JaronK

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tiktakkat View Post
    Yes, if the DM remembers the rule.
    How many BAB progressions for monster types do you have memorized?

As for 5 seconds, I am good with stat blocks. Really good. From comments by others, I have to say I am quite "fast" at doing up stat blocks.
    Changing BAB changes:
    BAB entry
    CMB entry
    CMD entry
    every separate attack entry

For extended stat blocks, it also changes every spell entry requiring an attack roll.

Fast as I will say I am, it takes me a bit more than 5 seconds to change that many entries.

Compound that through every other change with every other creature, and it becomes a significant chore to convert an adventure using anything but SRD creatures. (For which you just look up the new version.)
    Riiiiiight. I wouldn't bother converting stat blocks unless I was going to publish it. You either go "golems. Oh yeah. BAB adjustment +3" and apply a +whatever buff in combat. Or you forget AND NO ONE EVER NOTICES. It is really very simple. I cannot tell you how shocked I would be if my players were fighting a stone golem and someone watched me roll the dice and say what AC I hit and actually realized that I had forgotten to make the BAB change. If they did notice a discrepancy, they would probably just chalk it up to a DM modification to the monster.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

But you have no idea how many players there are, how many people continue to play, or how many do indeed hate each other. You can't say most because you haven't spoken to most. There is an outspoken minority who hates, a quiet minority who likes, and an overwhelming amount of "Just doesn't give a damn". By saying most, you're giving an opinion, not a fact. By saying some, you're at least correct for the 99.99% of the time that the proportion isn't 0% or 100%*.

*Note: UglyPanda's opinions may or may not be grounded in the basis of reality. Proceed with caution.
    I can say most, and I did say most, based on practical observation and logic. It IS an opinion, although it is a lot better than yours, because my point that "Most people who play PF would play and enjoy 3.5, and vice versa" is directly backed up by your comment that "an overwhelming amount of [players] "Just doesn't give a damn"". The casual majority of players would barely notice the rules changes, or only the most obvious ones like "Rogues get d8s now. Neat."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

And group #3, "When WotC asked me to retire my 3.5 books, I politely told them, No Thanks. When Paizo, asks me to do the same, I tell them exact same thing." If the entire game group all has to buy new player's handbooks in order to use the system, then it is too different for me. They can have my 3.5 PHB when they take it from my cold undead hands.
    The SRD is online and free you know. It's all that I've neede dto far so incorporate parts of it into my games.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JaronK View Post
    I guess my problem with Pathfinder is that I can come up with nifty house rules myself, but what's hard to do is actually balance the classes. I would LOVE to see a 3.5 that was actually balanced, where casters didn't become gods around level 10 and could still play with melees and skillmonkeys at that level, and where any concept that a player might have can be played with any other concept without one of them being too strong and the other too weak.
    If someone actually wrote a well polished sourcebook on E6, etc, Id buy it in a heartbeat.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

I can say most, and I did say most, based on practical observation and logic. It IS an opinion, although it is a lot better than yours, because my point that "Most people who play PF would play and enjoy 3.5, and vice versa" is directly backed up by your comment that "an overwhelming amount of [players] "Just doesn't give a damn"". The casual majority of players would barely notice the rules changes, or only the most obvious ones like "Rogues get d8s now. Neat."
    When I mean "Don't give a damn", I mean "Refuse to get involved when people argue over Pathfinder".

There are people who would say "Why should I bother learning new rules?" and "If it's barely noticeable, why should I play it?". Simply going by the people who show up in these threads and then saying that one side doesn't count is a very bad way to make an opinion.*

*Note: UglyPanda's opinions may involve full frontal lobotomies. Please consult your doctor before taking UglyPanda seriously.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2010-02-03 at 05:24 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishing by Dr. Bath.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    If someone actually wrote a well polished sourcebook on E6, etc, Id buy it in a heartbeat.
    I find E6 feels more like 2E. Take that as you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    That's both the problem and the joy of E6. It's so simple that you don't need a sourcebook for it... but that's AWESOME.

JaronK

24. - Top - End - #114
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Ok, I am a bit mystified by the its too hard to change stuff. I can buy that monster's can be hard to change (though not the CMB: BA+STR+size. really? that's hard? Unless it has an ability that says it is different, or unless it has Monk levels, its the creature's grapple mod!), but most of the class stuff from other classes seems to be just a matter of spending your new, spiffy skill points on more things, and possibly spicing up some of the weaker classes that now seem bland by comparison.

Dunno, though, I'm coming from a player perspective, and from my primary GM using a lot more Character antagonists than Monster encounters, so maybe my thinking is biased. [edit: also from a theoretical perspective, since we haven't started playing under PF yet. Which is why I'm trying to keep an open mind to potential faults/challenges)

RE Paladin: Houserule: only egregious/consistent violations result in Paladin Fall
    Tada! Enjoy your new, improved, Paladin, with cool abilities and an alternate for his mount. :P
    Last edited by Susano-wo; 2010-02-03 at 07:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Yeah. I'm not playing then. They've pretty much screwed over my favorite class.
    Not true. Just because the wording has changed on the Paladin falling rules doesn't mean that any violation is going to lead to your fall. Falling from paladinhood was mostly a DM thing to begin with, and there are 3.5 DMs that would make you fall for stupid reasons. No matter what the book says, whether you fall or not is going to be based on your DM's whims.

I don't see why people make such a big deal out of that change - I don't think it was even meant to be a change to begin with.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Susano-wo View Post
    Ok, I am a bit mystified by the its too hard to change stuff.
    I think you are missing the point. It wasn't that it was hard, it was that it is annoying.
    Definition of DMPC:
    1: a character that if it was run by a non-DM would be considered a PC; a special kind of Ally (see p. 104 of the 3.5 DMG)
    2: (derogatory) any character used by a DM that disrupts the game
    Need to replace those core 3.5 books, check out Gauric Myths.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Susano-wo View Post
    RE Paladin: Houserule: only egregious/consistent violations result in Paladin Fall
    Tada! Enjoy your new, improved, Paladin, with cool abilities and an alternate for his mount. :P
    Just because you can houserule something to fix it doesn't mean there wasn't anything wrong with it in the first place.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Just because you can houserule something to fix it doesn't mean there wasn't anything wrong with it in the first place.
    True, but the severity and magnitude of the houserules required to fix a problem does matter. For something as SIMPLE and as DM-dependent as this, it is virtually not an issue.

29. - Top - End - #119

There is a difference between houseruling and going by the spirit of the rules rather than the intention. If you go RAW, both 3.5 and Pathfinder are pretty much unplayable.

All I'm saying is if you're going to disregard the entire system because of one rule (or rather, an unfavorable interpretation of one rule) you don't like, I wonder how you're able to bring yourself to play 3.5 in the first place.
    Last edited by Rixx; 2010-02-03 at 06:19 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Halfling in the Playground

People that say wizards and sorcerers got stronger in Pathfinder haven't read the rules, simple as that. Yes, they did get a lot of class features that help them out, for example in the lower levels when spells are scarce and they needed help, and i that regard they've gotten stronger. But grossly overpowered spells on every level got nerfed and that was the biggest problem they had.

Arcane spellcasters aren't as good as they were, although they are still probably the strongest classes. Druids and clerics got knocked down a peg in some areas, you wont see CoDzilla any more. All the other classes got improvements, and most importantly to me, the ability to customize themselves without having to go through hundreds and hundreds of prestige classes. Every class is viable for the whole 20 levels.

Pathfinder didn't balance classes perfectly, but to do that you'd have to change the system in such a way that it wouldn't be recognizable as a 3.5 derivative any longer which is one of it's main selling points.

The turn to Pathfinder was a great one for me, since I don't like to go through a library of books every time I play the games. The core pathfinder rules are very solid and should keep you entertained for a long time, but if you want to bring stuff over from 3.5 you will probably have to houserule it a bit before implementing it. There is more stuff on the way, including the Advanced Player's Guide which will feature 6 new classes which you can check out on their homepage.
    Last edited by Ellington; 2010-02-03 at 06:27 PM.
    T'ain't what you do.