New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31

Default Re: Best Use of Spells Ever

I'm gonna tell a story from our latest session, last Friday. Before I start, I want to stress that our games aren't QUITE as serious as most.

Anyway, I'm playing an awakened cat sorcerer, and the group walks into a tavern. Friend orders food without realizing he doesn't want it, starts talking about how he won't pay for it but I start eating it. Barkeeper kicks me out, and I cast unseens servant to open the door. The bartended starts ranting about a demon cat at tries to pick me up again, but I resist and... somehow manage to win the grapple check. I claw him for 2 damage (yes, 2. Roll max and I have 6 strength), and he absolutely flips out at this point. I cast transfix (from CArc) on him and paralyze him in the middle of his running away, along with a small crowd of people, until the sun shines at night (or just until the spell ends... but still).
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

'Horrible Taste' v. a Mind Flayer's Extract attack.

'Invisible' on an grappled ally so that the other creature's 4 rake attacks would have a miss chance.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Stix View Post
    (he always left his left pinky with the party cleric before he did this sort of thing so he could be resurrected when they burned his body)
    You should reread Resurrection.

4. - Top - End - #34

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Veyr View Post
    It's 20d6 to the falling object, but a lot more than that to the Earth.
    Huh, I was gonna say less - according to Newtonian mechanics, the Earth is also falling onto the object, but since the object has a lot less gravity, the Earth takes 20d4 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ffone View Post
    Huh, I was gonna say less - according to Newtonian mechanics, the Earth is also falling onto the object, but since the object has a lot less gravity, the Earth takes 20d4 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/planes.htm).
    That's the kind of logic that creates half-dragon gelatinous cubes.

Have a cookie.
    Normal avatar by Qwernt, ponytar by Akrim.elf and squishydoll by Recaiden. Thanks guys!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz10019 View Post
    You should reread Resurrection.
    hmm fair enough. campaigns over othrwise i'd let him know that all that self mutilation was unnecessary.

7. - Top - End - #37

hmm fair enough. campaigns over othrwise i'd let him know that all that self mutilation was unnecessary.
    There is always a use for having someone else's fingers!
    Normal avatar by Qwernt, ponytar by Akrim.elf and squishydoll by Recaiden. Thanks guys!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

like an ice assasin that you can use instead of rezzing the real person

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

gnome wizard dimension doored over an entire invading drow army to be sitting on top of their general. says hi manages to not buy it in his first round in the middle of the enemy. next round puts a wand of scorching ray under the generals chin and pulls the trigger. general dies. shortly followed by death of wizard. (he always left his left pinky with the party cleric before he did this sort of thing so he could be resurrected when they burned his body).
    Fun fact: The part being used for resurrection must have been part of the creatures body AT THE TIME OF DEATH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    So please, by Anthony Bourdain's left nut, do not call gravy blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    the only way to get it into space was to build the atmospheric stages on top of it like a 400-ton hat made of fire and structural inadequacy.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by dethkruzer View Post
    Fun fact: The part being used for resurrection must have been part of the creatures body AT THE TIME OF DEATH.
    That has already been mentioned.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

I once played an archivist, having mass-contagion, i prepare mass contagion, and maintain it on my hand, after dealing with a guard from a well secured, and well populated fort, i shake his hand, releasing the spell (i was undead, so disease dont matter) wat for a bit, and presto, 1 complete community in a fort sic and probably deceased.

EDIT:also, they never knew what hit them
    Last edited by Socratov; 2011-06-19 at 05:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I've had many a time as my low level bard where a combination of Ghost Noise and Dancing Lights convince hiding monsters to give away their positions to attack the pretty lights.

Level 5 caster with a hummingbird familiar in a group of fighters facing a wall of enemies none of us could get around or face without getting severely injured. I sent my (invisible) hummingbird up and over the group, gave the biggest fighter Haste, and used Benign Trasposition on him and the bird. Suddenly there was a hole in the enemy wall, complete with flanking and no attacks of opportunity.
    "By 'for fun' do you mean 'to kill us?'" - Me, about the DM rolling a d20 several times for no known reason.

"You have my sword." - the Fighter.
    "And my bow." - the Ranger.
    "And my acts!" - me, the Bard.

My Final Fantasy Homebrew and Pathfinder Updating! PEACH always welcome.

Current Homebrew:
    PF "Dragon Shaman" - Paladin Alternate Class

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

I'm curious… can you use "Glibness" to pass a bluff on a paradox and make a wizard or other high-INT opponent try to work it out? (A proper paradox, not "I always lie.") I've always been a little fuzzy on how bluffing works in general. I know it's up to the DM a lot, but can you do that in general?

(This is, of course, assuming that the opponent is the sort of person to work out a paradox. Maybe more applicable to, say, Sphinxes.)
    Last edited by QuidEst; 2011-06-19 at 06:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

14th level wizard did this:
    Energy Immunity(cold), Greater Teleport to the moon, Passwall x2 directly down into the moon's surface, moon jump down(lol gravity), several disintegrations to make real room, & Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum, permanency(private sanctum). He then made a Lich's Phylactery there, then greater teleported back to earth, never explaining to the other pc's why he was suddenly a bag of bones.

Edit: forgot to add he had a Bottle of Air & ... that spoon that summons food, to survive up there over the crafting process & being up there to beign with.
    Edit2: the vacume of space was being treaded as just cold damage, as the environment rules found here: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Outer_S...Environment%29
    if nothing else, one could always use a Necklace of Adaptation
    Last edited by Wind4air; 2011-06-19 at 08:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

The problem with that is that it isn't particularly cold on the moon during the daytime. There's very little atmosphere to keep the heat in, sure, but the direct rays of the sun are quite hot.

The problem is that there's no air up there.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    The problem with that is that it isn't particularly cold on the moon during the daytime. There's very little atmosphere to keep the heat in, sure, but the direct rays of the sun are quite hot.

The problem is that there's no air up there.
    it's been awhile since this happened, forgot some of the details.
    Story updated

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

liberal use of mind-affecting spells allowed me to convince an entire city that Nigeria actually was a far-off country and that I was the prince of it (Glibness+charm Person +maxed ranks in bluff/diplomancy). Outside of 2 attempted hostage situations, I convinced most of the city that if they gave me some gold (usually what I thought they had), I would reward them greatly when I returned. I then proceeded to spend most of a town's income on a sword and armor (They didnt come down much on the price). Yes, the character was evil, and I got the idea from an email.

My DM has much stricter rules on bluff and diplomancy now.
    I think I just had an evilgasm!

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I had a level 1 sorcerer in a seafaring campaign, when one of our characters drowned. We didn't have res magic yet, so the scene went something like this.

DM: "After the last of the pirates are killed, you see one of the crew members drag the body of your beloved comrade over the railing from the water."

Me: "I kneel down next to his body."

DM: "Oh, do you start CPR?"

Me: "No, I rip open his shirt."

Jim: "You queer necrophiliac! Get your character's hands off my character's corpse!"

Me: "Shut up! He's not going to be a corpse long if I have anything to cast about it."

DM: "Okay, well, what do you do?"

Me: "I cast shocking grasp." *I clap my hands together and rub them really fast* "I yell: CLEAR! Then slam my hands down on his chest"

TL;DR: My sorcerer successfully used shocking grasp as a defibrillator.
    Last edited by Etrivar; 2011-06-19 at 06:58 PM.
    Soooooo... About that elf lady.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Remember kids: Stabbing someone in the gut five times is peaceful if you previously hit them over the head.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

There are actually rules for being exposed to the vaccuum of space in D&D, though - the epic spell Nailed to the Sky. You actually take fire damage as well as cold damage - and 1d4 damage per round from decompression.

But I'm just nitpicking here.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

20. - Top - End - #50

Well, at one point, my Sorcerer (Atlas) and my friend's rogue were trying to move across this oppressed city. Now, I only had access to 2nd level spells and Celestial Sorcerer heritage flight abilities. So, I threw the rogue in the bag of holding, turned invisible, and flew over the checkpoints that would have lead us to our deaths.

Another time, our Warforged party member (different campaign) was trapped, away from his weapons, behind a pretty large steel door. He was a duskblade. Now, he had no route of escape and we were a LONG ways from breaking him out of this jail. He Ray of Frost+Burning Hands'd the hinges, causing them to rapidly expand and contract. They subsequently broke off and he rammed the door through, eventually leading to quite the hard-to-explain situation.

Another time, Atlas was standing in this zone that basically empowered his spells, except by a margin of 2. I could also empower it for a x3 effect. I figured it'd be worth a shot to cast Augment Familiar on my hawk, Garrus. Garrus then grew strong enough to lift me safely away from combat and over the city walls. ;D
    Last edited by Rossebay; 2011-06-19 at 07:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

A human being left unshielded in space will asphyxiate long before any other negative effects of space would matter. The lack of pressure would actually force the air from your lungs, and attempting to hold your breath could do very serious damage to your lungs, windpipe, and mouth.

Decompression would be painful, even excruciating, but it would not be fatal. A human being in a perfect vacuum but provided with air would die of dehydration, most likely.

Moreover, in space, you would not lose heat in any particularly rapid fashion: a vacuum provides an excellent insulator (you would still radiate heat, but that's nothing compared to what you normally lose to conduction or convection). Cold damage would not even come into play; you'd be dead of a lot of other things before heat loss became a serious concern.

As for cosmic rays, those would be unlikely to do especially much to you before you die of something more mundane. They are likely to leave you cancer-ridden, though, should you somehow be saved before you die. I'm not entirely sure how much you would heat up if left in the sun's rays unprotected, but I'm guessing that you would be very severely burned and that might even be life-threatening.
    Last edited by Veyr; 2011-06-19 at 07:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

On the topic of Space, Atlas (a Lich now) was fighting a Merut (however it's spelled) and an adamantine golem. We couldn't kill either of these things, so Atlas teleported himself and the Merut into space, kicked off of it, and teleported back down. He then repeated the process with the adamantine golem.
    I DID have to pass a reflex save, though. In space, you explode if you aren't pressurized.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Plane Shift(target touched instead of normal transport method): target, fire plane or negative energy plane, whichever flavor you want to inevitably kill your target with

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wind4air View Post
    Plane Shift(target touched instead of normal transport method): target, fire plane or negative energy plane, whichever flavor you want to inevitably kill your target with
    Any reason the Positive Energy Plane isn't a flavor you like? You do die of overhealing there.
    Oh, quotechains.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Axinian View Post
    Bag of Holding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    Nah. Party Fighter. Cheaper and easier to replace.

Slightly harder to steal.
    But oh so much more rewarding when you do.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andmcmuffin2 View Post
    Any reason the Positive Energy Plane isn't a flavor you like? You do die of overhealing there.
    Because you can avoid that by hitting yourself (and if we use the rules Death Urge lays out, hitting yourself always crits).

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andmcmuffin2 View Post
    lol so they go something like this?

"omg i'm so HEALTHY! RWARRRR!" <kursplode>

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Something like that. Except apparently they explode into flowers and small, cute, fuzzy animals or something like that.

Also, as pointed out, the alternative to bursting is an eternity of masochism.
    Oh, quotechains.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bag of Holding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    Nah. Party Fighter. Cheaper and easier to replace.

Slightly harder to steal.
    But oh so much more rewarding when you do.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

i figure being healed to death goes something more like all you orifices heal closed. you can no longer breathe.

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser1 View Post
    The spell Acorn of Far Travel has many interesting (ab)uses. My favorite: (Greater) Plane Shift to Ysgard, cast the spell there, put the magic acorn in your pocket, then return to whatever plane you were adventuring upon. Because of the acorn, you're considered to be under its tree, and hence on Ysgard. If you die, you'll automatically receive True Resurrection within 24 hours. It's a way to guarantee you'll always come back from the dead (without having to cough up 5K, 10K or 25K in diamonds) and also never lose XP if you die.
    Does the Acorn work across planar boundaries, though?

I know the trick with a Hathran to cast any spell you want via the Acorn and being considered in Rashemen as a result, but I'm less certain about it working from another plane entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

The really insane part is, by RAW, undead are not affected. One, it does not mention that the healing specifically comes from positive energy, it just says fast-healing, and two, it is a fortitude save that doesn't affect objects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding