New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Questionable Content 5: Suffers Occasional Outbreaks of Butt's Disease

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure I'm following you.

I guess it's time to check out QC for the day then.
    I was saying that in Yelling Bird-verse, it's just as likely that Jeph caught the flu from having his leg eaten off by a Siberian prostitute bear.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Questionable Content 5: Suffers Occasional Outbreaks of Butt's Disease

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I was saying that in Yelling Bird-verse, it's just as likely that Jeph caught the flu from having his leg eaten off by a Siberian prostitute bear.
    Ah, indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    ^: You... you sure you don't want to go with a better rebuttal than that?

That seems uncomfortably close to basically admitting that the comics fanbase doesn't care about the flaws because they're all sycophantic to some degree and so it's not worth discussing or for the bloody guy who makes it to ever consider.
    That "rebuttal" was meant to be a general one, rather than QC-specific. I merely meant to say that one single person not liking one aspect of a comic and quitting readership because of that is simply not significant enough to make it "doing something wrong".

Now, if a significant amount of readers of QC (like, more than, say 5-10%) would quit reading QC for the occassional Yelling Bird strip, then Jeph not reacting to that and considering changing QC to deal with that or get those readers to come back, that would certainly be a major flaw.

How often do we get a Yelling Bird strip, by the by? How many strips out of the 2000+ ones currently up feature the blasted thing? A hundred? If it's roughly a hundred, that means 1 Yelling Bird strip each month. And 19 non-Yelling Bird strips.

Certainly not a significant enough amount to ever make me consider quitting my readership of an otherwise good and enjoyable comic, though others may disagree.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-09-03 at 03:46 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

...I love yelling bird. And the girl...Sweet tits or whatever
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Yeah. She makes a lot of cameos in the real strip too. Back a thread or so ago i think i had it pegged at 5 appearances. Maybe 6.

Can't agree with the liking Yelling Bird though. I just skip over anything he says, aside from the ones where he kills Randy, those are funny.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    You're not alone in that respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Pixie in the Playground

Anyone think Dora is going to come and get upset with Marten holding Tai?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Bomaz View Post
    Anyone think Dora is going to come and get upset with Marten holding Tai?
    I should hope not- while Dora overreacted over Marten and Faye, her insecurities there were at least based on actual chemistry between the two that they had acknowledged, albeit moved on from. As far as Tai goes, she's shown zero romantic interest in guys in general and Marten in particular.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyger View Post
    I should hope not- while Dora overreacted over Marten and Faye, her insecurities there were at least based on actual chemistry between the two that they had acknowledged, albeit moved on from. As far as Tai goes, she's shown zero romantic interest in guys in general and Marten in particular.
    She never got jealous of Steve either. Just Faye.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGirl

Annnnnd I just posted in the wrong thread. Darned multi-tabbing... :P
    Last edited by VariaVespasa; 2012-09-07 at 05:26 AM.
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyger View Post
    True, but irrational fears are irrational.
    If it happened, I think my Drama™ would just curl up and die from overwork; I already read Misfile.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2012-09-07 at 02:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

12. - Top - End - #282

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    True, but irrational fears are irrational.
    If it happened, I think my Drama™ would just curl up and die from overwork; I already read Misfile.
    I think I'd just lose all suspension of disbelief and air *ahem* while rolling my eyes and taking a month hiatus from the comic.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Since the comic continues to discuss the topic... anyone wants to share a story when their room/dorm/whatever mates were going at it too noisily?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

14. - Top - End - #284
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Not exactly the same, but I went camping at a large LARP event (think of a Fantasy-themed Ren. Fair, if you're not familiar) a couple of weeks ago.

Apart from the lurid stories about how often Security catches someone getting it on in the Ritual Circle, it's amazing how many seem to think that $20 Walmart tents are utterly soundproof.... And that's not just about the wacky sex-noises.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

GAH! This is almost terrifying! And it may well BECOME terrifying depending on how things go!

16. - Top - End - #286

NecromancerGuy

This is going to be rather fun. Or perhaps fun. Maybe if we're lucky there'll be actual violence.
    Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

I am scared that this might escalate by Clinton's hand going rogue and grabbing Claire.

Those were their names, right.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

18. - Top - End - #288

NecromancerGuy

Yes, I think Mr. McFeely is named Clinton for reasons best not speculated upon.

Being as my browser hates me, just typing in questionable content gets me to this strip. So I believe you are right as far as her name goes as well.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-09-19 at 07:15 PM.
    Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

I might have never insulted someone's dad unintentionally, but I do feel the pain of trying to say one thing and being interpreted in a way different manner. Clearing out such misinterpretations can be very difficult.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

And THIS is why you never say anything to Hanners without Faye to back you up/knock you unconscious with rage if you do something wrong.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I might have never insulted someone's dad unintentionally, but I do feel the pain of trying to say one thing and being interpreted in a way different manner. Clearing out such misinterpretations can be very difficult.
    Its half the appeal of "Get Fuzzy"'s humor in the newspaper.

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by Othniel Edden View Post
    Its half the appeal of "Get Fuzzy"'s humor in the newspaper.
    Have you been reading the last 6 weeks of metronome misunderstandings too? (Ok, exaggeration, but still, its been carrying out the "whos on first" aspect for so long even the author is bringing it up)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

23. - Top - End - #293

Today's comic does raise a decent question. When wounds are less serious, people will take more risks. If losing a hand means only that you will get to have a sweet robot hand that's at least as good as the original part, and potentially better, why would you really worry about losing it, assuming it's accessible enough of course?

Or really, why would you feel all that bad for the person? It'd probably be like breaking a bone. Yeah, it sucks, I'm going to sympathize with you because it was painful, but I'm not going to be feel all sorry for you. It's a temporary setback at the most, and, depending on how advanced the prosthetics are, potentially leading to a net gain.

Honestly, it's a wonder why people in the QC-verse haven't started exchanging their natural eyes to synthetic eyes. Even if the biological ones were perfectly fine, you can get a lot more out of synthetic ones. Plus having to worry a lot less about the natural wear and tear, and quite a few other potential advantages.
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Honestly, it's a wonder why people in the QC-verse haven't started exchanging their natural eyes to synthetic eyes. Even if the biological ones were perfectly fine, you can get a lot more out of synthetic ones. Plus having to worry a lot less about the natural wear and tear, and quite a few other potential advantages.
    Maybe that technology isn't as developed yet? I mean, hand nerves and eye nerves are two completely different animals when you get down to the nitty-gritty.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Firbolg in the Playground

Today's comic does raise a decent question. When wounds are less serious, people will take more risks. If losing a hand means only that you will get to have a sweet robot hand that's at least as good as the original part, and potentially better, why would you really worry about losing it, assuming it's accessible enough of course?
    Ask your significant other if (s)he would like to be caressed with a prosthetic hand.

Honestly, it's a wonder why people in the QC-verse haven't started exchanging their natural eyes to synthetic eyes.
    Likewise, some people will have a Terminator fetish and find your unblinking, glowing red eye to be attractive; but most will just find it freaky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Ask your significant other if (s)he would like to be caressed with a prosthetic hand.
    I'm sure there are...attachments...for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #297

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post

Likewise, some people will have a Terminator fetish and find your unblinking, glowing red eye to be attractive; but most will just find it freaky.
    Honestly, making it look like real hands and eyes isn't all that complicated. Point in case, we have Momo's present body. It shouldn't be all that hard either to make it feel reasonably real with the QC-verse shown tech level. Hell, the real world already have something relatively similar. The only ones with the metallic body parts and unblinking red eyes would be those who want them like that.

I can accept the tech haven't managed to deal with eye nerves yet, although it doesn't really feel like a good explanation. Assuming they did managed to make electronic signals translate to biological impulses well enough, it shouldn't be that hard to follow the same way with the visual nerves.
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe they're almost there and someone who was born blind or something has one for a test, but "almost" isn't good enough if you're ripping out someone's perfectly functional eye.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

29. - Top - End - #299

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Maybe they're almost there and someone who was born blind or something has one for a test, but "almost" isn't good enough if you're ripping out someone's perfectly functional eye.
    I can accept that. The rest of the point, what are today grievous and crippling wounds being temporary setbacks in the QC verse, akin to a broken bone in real life (possibly one that requires surgery, but nothing that will potentially ruin your life), still stands.
    Last edited by Felius; 2012-09-24 at 02:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300

NecromancerGuy

I'd imagine another reason people would worry about losing body parts, and replacing them with robot parts, is rather obvious. Most situations that would lead to the loss of a limb HURT. A LOT.

The comic said so itself. The reason he has his robot hand is because the old one was blown up.