New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post

Mainly, I'd like to see that happen and finish (in less than 5 years), so I'd suggest you stick to a reasonably concise format if you decide to do it.
    Well, The Anti-Hero managed to clear the first game on his one so I'm reasonably hopeful. I've been toying with the idea since before the Enhanced Edition was announced (as in, messed around with one for a while but never got around to uploading it on the forums).

Well, since the new guys and Imoen don't cover priest spells, I'll say that Druids are fun in BG1 since they gain spell levels so fast. Druids with the raised XP caps should be even more fun (Fire Elementals!). Couple that with a possible 21 Wisdom and optionally a few levels of Berserker or even just plain Fighter and you'd have a pretty good character.
    I'm thinking more on the lines of just an interesting playthrough rather than trying to break the game, but yes Druid has often stuck me as an interesting option, and is probably my first choice The only potential difficulty there is the aforementioned heritage powers, since I've always felt Neutral characters should get a mix of the good and evil ones but that's a pain in the arse to do without cheating. Druids don't really lend themselves to a more a evil play-through either if that looks like the way to go. So I'm probably going to want a back-up option or two in case it doesn't pan-out (say one for a more 'good' option one for a more 'evil' option).
    Clerics I've been a bit iffy on as they don't quite mesh well with the heritage, but again not averse to going that route. The other main two options are thief and bard. The drawback to the thief is that multiple thieves get a bit redundant (and there are already a lot of thief options in BG1, even if I get creative with Imoen - which I have a couple of ways of doing) while the main drawback of the bard is that it's a bard.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

You guys are seriously underestimating the awe-inspiring killing capabilities of ranged weapons in BG2. Not even a full caster party has nearly as much speed killing power as a group of six fighters armed with Composite Bows. There are two difficult spots. The bottom of the Ironwood Mines, and the final battle. Everything else consists of the targets being pincushioned before they get close enough to do more than shout threats. The hardest part is keeping everyone in arrows. And the bottom of the mines only requires some magical arrows.

I tried it, and even on hardcore, I've never beaten a game as fast as I did BG1.

They're less potent in BG2, but if you fire enough arrows, you'll still have little trouble.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    They're less potent in BG2, but if you fire enough arrows, you'll still have little trouble.
    Triaxx has it right, but even in BG2 there are a bunch of good bows (Gesen, Tansheron) and the godlike Sharpshooter/Archer (I'm not sure what's the English name) kit for the Ranger that is fun as hell to play~

As for Druids in BG1 - I'm not a big fan, but Druids in BG1 with the North Tales of the Sword Coast mod are fun. So are Bards. Whether or not druids fit for an evil playthrough, well, I propose consulting with Faldorn.
    (Candlekeep, on the other hand, not so much.)
    Candlekeep is good for killing Firebeard Elvenhair out of boredom. Once I was so bored that I managed to find a semi-reliable way to kill Gorion with a level 1 character. ^_^
    Last edited by Winthur; 2012-11-08 at 07:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Fun fact: there is a star sapphire on the second floor of the candlekeep inn, but no character you create can pick the lock before you leave candlekeep. However, if you take the premade thief, you can do it. Take a gander at that character's thief skills.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

5. - Top - End - #515
    Barbarian in the Playground

Avenger druids should be effective in late BGEE - once you reach level 7, you get shapeshifting, and I don't think that much in BGI can stand up to a sword spider with player health and THAC0 (albeit lacking strength bonus). Bonus points if you then dual-class to fighter - that's how I'm playing through BGII at the moment (Needed to import from BGI to get the strength required). It's probably not much fun trying to reach level 7 in the first place, of course.

Wizard Slayer should be half-decent in BGI; not so many items you miss out on, and casters tend to be more approachable in melee. Inquisitors are probably still scarier though.

You could try playing a wild mage yourself, for double the arcane insanity and chances to die hilariously.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    Fun fact: there is a star sapphire on the second floor of the candlekeep inn, but no character you create can pick the lock before you leave candlekeep.
    19 Dexterity Halfling Rogue with Open Locks at 60% (I believe?) can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjolnai View Post
    Avenger druids should be effective in late BGEE - once you reach level 7, you get shapeshifting, and I don't think that much in BGI can stand up to a sword spider with player health and THAC0 (albeit lacking strength bonus).
    In BG Trilogy Totemic Druids seem to be pretty damn strong BG1 characters too, those summons hurt.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2012-11-09 at 08:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Troll in the Playground

You can always go ranger and dual to cleric. This gives you access to both the cleric and the druid spell lists, you get a high strength modifier (not that essential since you'll be pumping it up with tomes and/or Crom Faeyr in BG2), you get bonus attacks per round for being a warrior-type, and I think you also get access to HLAs for warriors even if you do it at a fairly low ranger level. You'll be stuck with a good alignment thanks to the 2e ruleset, but a ranger/cleric can be scary as hell.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hjolnai View Post
    Avenger druids should be effective in late BGEE - once you reach level 7, you get shapeshifting, and I don't think that much in BGI can stand up to a sword spider with player health and THAC0 (albeit lacking strength bonus). Bonus points if you then dual-class to fighter - that's how I'm playing through BGII at the moment (Needed to import from BGI to get the strength required). It's probably not much fun trying to reach level 7 in the first place, of course.
    Avengers also have the Web spell on their lists. Getting to level 7 isn't that bad. Besides, if you want early shapeshifting, there's always a shapeshifter for level 1 werewolf shenanigans.
    Duel-classing probably won't happen though, outside of the off-chance that I'm playing a human who's actions dictate a class-switch might be in order. As I've said, power-gaming isn't really the goal here.

You could try playing a wild mage yourself, for double the arcane insanity and chances to die hilariously.
    Amusing as that would be (and it would) two wild mages does seem a bit overkill. Although it would give the option to see how the enhanced edition handles familiars.

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur
    As for Druids in BG1 - I'm not a big fan, but Druids in BG1 with the North Tales of the Sword Coast mod are fun.
    Don't think I've heard of that mod.
    So are Bards.
    But... They're bards.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

I remember not getting a lot of levels later in the game, though. But it's been years since I played it, so I can't really say much more about it and my memory might be a bit off.
    It's been a few years since I played the game myself, but IIRC the average CL for the passage through the Underdark - even with a full party of six - was already in the low-to-mid teens. (Hence the lack of XP reward for all the Hook Horror ambushes.) A slowdown in leveling progression wasn't entirely unexpected, because there weren't all that many more levels to get. Unless/until you moved on to Ludicrous Mode, anyway.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Duel-classing probably won't happen though, outside of the off-chance that I'm playing a human who's actions dictate a class-switch might be in order. As I've said, power-gaming isn't really the goal here.
    The ranger/cleric works if you RP him as a woodsman (ranger) whose experiences after leaving Candlekeep give him a greater respect for nature. His encounter with the Shadow Druids would be a good triggering event for the switch from an RP perspective if you play it this way. Someone that's good-aligned (as you have to be to play a ranger) might agree with a lot of the Shadow Druid philosophy while condemning their methods. But since you can't do ranger/druid, you go ranger/cleric and RP as a good-aligned druid.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    The ranger/cleric works if you RP him as a woodsman (ranger) whose experiences after leaving Candlekeep give him a greater respect for nature. His encounter with the Shadow Druids would be a good triggering event for the switch from an RP perspective if you play it this way. Someone that's good-aligned (as you have to be to play a ranger) might agree with a lot of the Shadow Druid philosophy while condemning their methods. But since you can't do ranger/druid, you go ranger/cleric and RP as a good-aligned druid.
    I get that, it's just that Ranger/Cleric is up there with Kensai/Mage in terms of how it's viewed as the 'go-to' build for multi- or dual-classing. It's not really what I'm considering here, and I'm not really that keen on dual-classing as an option (multi-class maybe, but not Cleric/Ranger). Besides, it's encroaching a bit on Beastmaster territory, and we can't really take that away from that kit

But yes, Druid is probably my preferred class pick, but due to aforementioned heritage powers being a bit wonky for neutral characters 'back-up' options could be useful, for a good alignment and evil alignment. Monks and Wild Mages (and possibly straight mages in general) are probably out just on simple redundancy, as are Paladins considering their evil version is highly likely to be turning-up as well (although it might be interesting to see how that plays-out in game...). With Clerics, there is the matter that The Anti-Hero's LP already did that, and I'd rather not step on his toes. Although come to think of it his was a greatsowrd toting cleric/thief with max'd out strength so maybe toe-stepping isn't a worry.
    Anything else though is pretty much open. Even Bards, despite my personal hang-ups with the class, are a possibility if you've ever wanted to see someone try to run, say, a Jester through the games. There's also the question of the remaining party members, but that will depend on whether people would prefer a reasonably 'fixed' line-up (at least from Chapter 3 onwards anyway) or have the last couple of members be changing throughout.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I mostly suggested it as a good-aligned healer that you could RP as if it was a druid. I guess technically you could do the same with a straight cleric, too, but then you don't get the spell selection.
    Last edited by mangosta71; 2012-11-09 at 05:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #523
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    I'm thinking more on the lines of just an interesting playthrough rather than trying to break the game, but yes Druid has often stuck me as an interesting option, and is probably my first choice
    Fire Elementals are really the only game-breaking thing Druids could get with a raised XP cap. And for all we know, that spell might not even be in EE (and it probably shouldn't be).
    Apart from that, they're mainly fun because they get a lot of spell slots due to their fast leveling, but individually, their spells are useful but rarely amazing.
    Adding 3 levels of Fighter - or possibly 5 if going Berserker, although that's no small amount of XP for a BG1 character to give up then - won't really change that, either. It would mainly give you a little extra survivability in the long run.

Of course, if the EE kit options turned out to be just straight ports of the BG2 ones, that would be a different story, because Totemic Druid and Avenger can tear BG1 apart like it's nothing.

On that note, is there any information on EE kits?

You guys are seriously underestimating the awe-inspiring killing capabilities of ranged weapons in BG2. Not even a full caster party has nearly as much speed killing power as a group of six fighters armed with Composite Bows. There are two difficult spots. The bottom of the Ironwood Mines, and the final battle. Everything else consists of the targets being pincushioned before they get close enough to do more than shout threats.
    I don't think this would hold up in any installation using Sword Coast Stratagems (and some other mods that make the game more difficult), to be honest. You'd probably just start dying to enemy groups with spell support starting at the Cloakwood Mine entrance. I mean, it should be possible to beat a few of them, but there are only so many scrolls and potions to help you through those fights; sooner or later you'll run out.

You'll still simply be unable to harm some of the harder enemies in the game at all, which is the main problem with ranged weapons in BG2. They just aren't enchanted high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    As for Druids in BG1 - I'm not a big fan, but Druids in BG1 with the North Tales of the Sword Coast mod are fun.
    Didn't that one give them Stoneskin as a level 3 spell or some other broken stuff like that?

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

Possibly, though they were pretty heavily overpowered so it might not be that useful, but I've never played with SCS.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

SO... to prepare for this I have subscribed to a number of (blind!) Baldur's Gate let's plays... Damn I forgot how much I loved that game. And how much I remember. Hearing the sound effects from inside the inns, and the snooty noblemen and... wow
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    The only mod I ever installed for BG2 was Dungeon-Be-Gone, but I would never install it before playing the game the first time. (It removes the tutorial dungeon, automatically giving you all items and XP for it).
    Technically, it doesn't it just gives you everything you would have gotten.

If you first defeat Ogythgu (that sewer beast) you'll get the key to unlock the door, otherwise you'll be stuck on floor 2 and unable to get everything (plus the key wands to unluck the trap).

I mean, it is cool with you kill all the golems with flame blade (no golem is immune to it). Yes, even the golem right beside the key to free Jahiera is vulnerable.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Troll in the Playground

Possibly, though they were pretty heavily overpowered so it might not be that useful, but I've never played with SCS.
    Main problem with SCS would be that spellcasters are way smarter about using their defensive buffs. An all Fighter party would have a hard time getting through those defenses before most of them are confused/panicking/held/all of the above.
    I guess you could put in one or more Inquisitors, though, that might work even in an SCS game.

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    SO... to prepare for this I have subscribed to a number of (blind!) Baldur's Gate let's plays... Damn I forgot how much I loved that game. And how much I remember. Hearing the sound effects from inside the inns, and the snooty noblemen and... wow
    I just started another installation because of that post.
    Which, luckily, is now easier than ever.

Anyway, I'm debating what romance to try this playthrough. I was kind of thinking none at all, but after I had gone through the list of mods I saw that I still ended up with:
    Faren
    Gavin
    Edwin Romance

Definitely leaning more towards Faren or Edwin here, but I was wondering if there's anybody here who's played one or more of those.
    Also if there's interest in me playing a specific one and posting screenshots when/if I get there.
    Last edited by Johnny Blade; 2012-11-10 at 09:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Trust me, unless they're cheating with scripted contingencies, 6 fighters full of bows are going to hit sufficiently fast to distrupt their spells 99% of the time.

Basically you're getting 12 or so attacks which are hitting per round. Once you get haste, it goes up to somewhere around 30 attacks per round. It feels like you're walking up and machinegunning the targets to death. And since the Nashkel Mines throw huge amounts of arrows at you, it's kind of hilarious how fast you can kill.

Another discussion on it here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3218/on-archery

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Trust me, unless they're cheating with scripted contingencies
    Unfortunately, the AI casters do cheat like crazy...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

The last character I beat the game with was an elf fighter/mage/thief. He was the designated "caster killer" of the party. Most of his spells were dedicated to bringing down other casters. Things like Ruby Ray of Reversal and all those kinds of spells.

It's a real chore to go through the same cycle of spells everytime you come up against a wizard or lich.

Anyway, yeah, don't try the game with nothing but fighters, you just won't be able to overcome certain enemies. You need at least one mage (or inquisitor) to negate the bull****.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

I only use fighters for the Composite Bow Damage Bonus. And I have to play basic BG1 because my CD2 is scratched and I have no way to use BGT because I can't do a full install.

BG2 I play much more mage heavy because A) ranged weapons are less hilariously powerful and B) because the expanded levels mean more spells and I like spells. I also use the g-series scripts to mitigate AI stupidity. Provided I get it to quit turning Jaheira into a bear for a couple of extra HP.

I'll probably end up trying a class of 6 Archers for BG:EE, just to see how well they work. The low level abilities seem a bit weaker than the higher ones though.

22. - Top - End - #532

It's been a long time since I've played either, so I can't recall, but is there any way to port your characters from BG to BGII? A mod? Anything?

It always thought it was such a bummer to configure your BG party just right, only to be stuck with the default canonical party at the beginning of BGII.

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Export button under the character sheet for the main character, I think they were boosted if your main character was stronger. Custom parties could pull them all from the final save.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by historiasdeosos View Post
    It's been a long time since I've played either, so I can't recall, but is there any way to port your characters from BG to BGII? A mod? Anything?

It always thought it was such a bummer to configure your BG party just right, only to be stuck with the default canonical party at the beginning of BGII.
    There might be a mod for that, but you'll lose so many hooks!

25. - Top - End - #535
    Colossus in the Playground

That would need to be quite a mod, to make characters who aren't in BG2, or only appear for brief non-joinable cameos, be joinable in BG2. (Especially since I presume you would not be satisfied with "Kivan appears in Irenicus' dungeon with you and dies or leaves before Chapter Two.")

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

I assumed he was asking about his PC. Which, as pointed out, could be imported directly without any sort of mod.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #537

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    There might be a mod for that, but you'll lose so many hooks!
    Yeah, I probably wouldn't do it now, but as a kid I thought the canonical party was awful.

Thanks for the info, guys!

THE DYING OF THE LIGHT
    A GURPS Zombie Apocalypse Campaign
    always accepting players

28. - Top - End - #538
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, I probably wouldn't do it now, but as a kid I thought the canonical party was awful.

Thanks for the info, guys!
    There is no situation in which Minsc is not an awesome person to have around.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think you can find a few mods which restore some of the BG1 characters (Xan and Kivan I know have mods to put them into BG 2, and then The Darkest Day adds a couple of the BG1 characters as well, but TDD's party members are less fleshed out than those in dedicated mods. Also, I have no idea if you can get TDD anymore)
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    There is no situation in which Minsc is not an awesome person to have around.
    There is no situation in which Minsc Boo is not an awesome person to have around.

Fixed.