New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default I'm looking for colorful, bizarre, strange surreal and weird movies, can anyone help

I'm looking for colorful, bizarre, strange, surreal and weird movies, can any one help me with that?

I'm looking for something that has:

-Mc escher architecture.
    -Tarsem Singh photography.
    -Mark henderson use of color.
    -Alejandro Jodorowsky weirdness.
    -Darren Aronofsky style.
    -Salvador Dali visuals.

Any recommendations would help. Thanks guys :*
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-11-17 at 04:14 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: I'm looking for colorful, bizarre, strange surreal and weird movies, any one can

By Aronofsky style, do you mean ripping off another IP's mood/scenes/outline in general, or just Perfect Blue's?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: I'm looking for colorful, bizarre, strange surreal and weird movies, any one can

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    By Aronofsky style, do you mean ripping off another IP's mood/scenes/outline in general, or just Perfect Blue's?
    I had more a "The Aesthetic of those weird fantasy medieval europe sections from The Fountain" in mind.

Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-11-17 at 04:52 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I'm looking for colorful, bizarre, strange surreal and weird movies, can anyone h

Following up on ben-zayb's implication, the movies and show that Satoshi Kon directed (Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paranoia Agent, Paprika) would be one good place to look. He plays with the boundaries of reality a lot, and it shows in the cinematography.

'Colorful, bizarre, strange, surreal, and weird' also applies to Mushishi and Mononoke, though those are not movies.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: I'm looking for colorful, bizarre, strange surreal and weird movies, can anyone h

A good number of the scenes in Dr. Strange got extremely Escher-esque.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

*I think there's a scene with an Escher staircase in Inception

*I've heard Naked Lunch is pretty weird

*L'Age d'Or actually had Salvador Dali involved in the production

*A list of strange and surreal movies I like but am not sure if they fit in any of the listed categories because I'm only familair with the escher and dali categories and not any of the other people: Yellow Submarine, Let's Visit the World of the Future (note: adult situations in linked video), Arise: The SubGenius Video, Reproduction Cycle In Lower Lifeforms Under the Rocks of Mars, Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film For Theaters, Spirited Away, Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea, Catnapped (aka Catland Banipal Witt), Monkeybone, Big Trouble In Little China, In The Mouth of Madness, Space Zombie Bingo, Toys, The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, the Monty Python films, The 5000 Fingers of Dr.T, The Phantom Tollbooth, Tank Girl, Greaser's Palace, Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

*Firesign Theater specializes in surreal radio plays. Give Me Immortality or Give Me Death and the original Nick Danger: Third Eye (the b-side of How Can You Be In Two Places At Once) are relatively easy to follow
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-11-17 at 09:40 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Ghost in the Shell: Innocence clearly fits, but it probably doesn't make any sense if you're not already familiar with the material. But with movies like this, this might not be a problem.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Eraserhead, Videodrome, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and Brazil come to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

10. - Top - End - #10

Buckaroo Banzai, Wizards, Kung-Fu Hustle, and Erik the Viking are all pretty weird
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateGuy

Dark City has some good stuff, not sure if it fits what you're looking for.
    Now with half the calories!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Buckaroo Banzai, Wizards, Kung-Fu Hustle, and Erik the Viking are all pretty weird
    Except for Kumg-Fun Hustle I saw all of those in the theater.

I saw Wizards when I was nine years old (before I saw Star Wars), and yes it was very weird (seriously look up some scenes on YouTube)

Which reminds of five more that I all saw before the age of ten (and found weird):

The Abominable Mr. Phibes,

At the Earth's Core,

The Ruling Class,

Monty Python and the Holy Grail,

and

Tommy.

13. - Top - End - #13

[/I] and

Tommy.
    Tommy was more bad than weird. I mean yes it was weird, but it was really bad too. If we're including bad movies The Meaning of Life, Pan's Labyrinth, The Triplets of Belleville, L'Illusioniste, Manos, The Hands of Fate, and 2001: A Space Odyssey should go on the list

EDIT:
    Also Disaster Movie

EDIT:
    also anything by Ralph Bakshi

EDIT:
    Also Shock Treatment
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-11-19 at 02:06 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #14

More suggestions for good movies
    Coraline, Pink Flamingoes, the BBC version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, both versions of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Cube and Hypercube, Evil Dead 3: The Army of Darkness, The BFG, Surf Ninjas, They Live, The Gods Must Be Crazy, The Dunwich Horror, Salad Fingers, Why Man Creates, Meet the Feebles, UHF, Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer, Helen Keller VS. Night Wolves, Matilda, Soulkeeper, History of the World Part One
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-11-19 at 02:29 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Tommy was more bad than weird. I mean yes it was weird, but it was really bad too. If we're including bad movies The Meaning of Life, Pan's Labyrinth, The Triplets of Belleville, L'Illusioniste, Manos, The Hands of Fate, and 2001: A Space Odyssey should go on the list
    Wait, bad movies..?

Isn't 2001: A Space Odyssey usually considered something of a classic?

Oh yeh- I was going to recommend Baron Munchausen as well, since... aye, it's pretty weird. Arguably the single strangest movie I've ever seen, though, would have to be Fantasy Mission Force.

It starts off as a bad Hong Kong knockoff of The Dirty Dozen, set in World War II, and promptly takes a sharp left into surreality, then falls off a cliff. The weird starts about 30 seconds in (when some Allied generals are kidnapped by the Axis at the start of the plot, the American general is Abraham Lincoln for no explained, or even acknowledged, reason) and just keeps getting stranger from there. My personal favourite WTF..? moment would have to be when the Chinese Mad Max Nazis (no, that's not a typo) turn up riding in or on a bunch of 70s-vintage muscle cars, one of which had a huge Star of David painted on the roof. I mean, just... what.

Anyways, if you can dig it up, it's well worth a watch as one of the best bad movies ever- oh, in North America it's billed as Jackie Chan's Fantasy Mission Force, despite (a very, very young) Jackie's involvement basically being limited to wandering in and out of the plot every once in a while to beat the hell out of absolutely everyone.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Wait, bad movies..?

2001: A Space Odyssey was considered groundbreaking because of it's visual effects, all of which are now obsolete.

Omegaupdate Forum

17. - Top - End - #17

Not a movie but there is a great deal of surrealism in ge webcomic Problem Sleuth

Omegaupdate Forum

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Wait, bad movies..?

Pan's Labyrinth is also highly regarded. But 2001 at least is arguably more useful for film studies than for entertainment.

19. - Top - End - #19

MindFlayer

Being John Malkovitch was pretty weird.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Mirrormask (2005) has an interesting overall aesthetic as well as being a Neil Gaiman adaptation.

What Dreams May Come (1998) has a... problematic script if you spend a moment to think about it, but the movie's visuals are wonderful and justifiably Oscar award-winning. It created a literal world of abstract and surreal art which the characters navigate as its concept of the afterlife.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

A Scanner Darkly.
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian Weaver View Post
    A Scanner Darkly.
    I'll see you that and raise you a Waking Life.

Also, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I'd start with Fantasia. Then I'd move on to Allegro non Tropo, Gankutsuou, and Fantasia 2000.

After that, I might consider Invitation to the Dance.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Labyrinth (the 1986 movie with David Bowie) seems like a good match for what you're looking for. I'm not familiar with all of the people you cite, but there's at least one scene directly inspired by an Escher painting, and it definitely hits all of your adjectives.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

There's an old Danish animated movie called Dreaming of Paradise (Or Strit og Stumme). It's pretty out there.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

The Void is a cosmic horror movie with a fair bit of surrealism going on it in. A fair bit of body horror too, fyi, but overall a very interesting and well put together film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not the point of this thread so I don't want to get bogged down in it, but I'm not sure what I'm more inclined to dispute: that The Meaning of Life or Pan's Labyrinth are bad, or that the Tim Burton version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is good. Suffice to say, I don't agree with any of those assertions.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm not sure how well it fits into the specific styles mentioned in the OP, but my contribution to the list is The Congress.

28. - Top - End - #28

This thread reads like a list of my dvd collection! Of things not mentioned, definitely watch Enter The Void, if you're up for some gore, Tokyo Gore Police is wonderfully weird (recommend for fans of Cronenberg style body horror). Kung Pow: Enter The Fist is a really weird one that most people either love or hate. Sort of surprised no one has named Fantastic Planet yet, as far as animation goes, or Belladonna of Sadness (that one is a heavy film, subject matter-wise, but amazing). Oh, and if you want some TV, Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy is appropriately weird, and you might be able to find it on youtube.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Madoka Magica: Rebellion. Most visually beautiful movie ever made by humans. In addition to being the best thing made by humans.

Be sure to watch the anime first which is only slightly less beautiful.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2017-12-01 at 12:14 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah yes, if you like comedy horror, Dead Sushi is wonderfully surreal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?