New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Vote Up a Monster #2: The Votening!

Another vote for Angelic Chorus, and I'll say Spell Immunity: Evil, or immune to any spell cast by an evil spellcaster or with the [Evil] descriptor..

IGNORE THE CROSSED OUT PART
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2008-10-12 at 04:30 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Fear aura. It's just right. And pairing it with invisibility would be so much better. Just by standing idly doing nothing, it can send the baddies packing. They won't even know what hit em...
    Last edited by Pronounceable; 2008-10-12 at 02:27 PM.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

3. - Top - End - #153

I had an idea while I was away, so change my vote for Spell Immunity to Fear Aura.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fly speed and angelic chorus.
    Sincerest thanks to Qwernt for the amazing avatar.

5. - Top - End - #155

Angelic Chorus and Swallow Whole.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kellus View Post
    Angelic Chorus and Swallow Whole.
    You do realize this thing's size is Medium, right?

BTW, all votes are currently tallied, keep it up. Voting will end sometime tomorrow morning, I believe.

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    You do realize this thing's size is Medium, right?
    Yes. Someone has to keep the Diminutive and Fine yugoloths in line.

8. - Top - End - #158

angelic chorus and Fear aura

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, the votes for Special Abilities are tallied, & the winner is: Angelic Chorus, Breath Weapon, Fear Aura, & Fly Speed!

So, the creature is going to be an Construct, with the Angelic subtype. It's Size is going to be Medium. It's Alignment is going to be Neutral Good. It's CR is going to be 17. It's Environment is going to be Any. It's Special Abilities are going to be Angelic Chorus, Breath Weapon, Fear Aura, & Fly Speed. This sounds like it's going to be an insanely interesting critter.

Voting is concluded at this point. The resultant creature is being crafted, & will be posted on Thursday, October 16th. Thanks to everyone who voted.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-13 at 08:14 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yay, my ability made it in!

*Dances*

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

11. - Top - End - #161

Man, can't wait to see this. I wonder how Fear Aura and Angelic Chorus are going to interact.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

12. - Top - End - #162

Evil beings that fail their saves vs. both will have their heads explode from sheer righteous intimidation?

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Evil beings that fail their saves vs. both will have their heads explode from sheer righteous intimidation?
    I think "awesome" is an applicable word here, for several definitions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Darn, I was at my cottage this weekend and look what happens! Voting is over...

I wanted it to have laser vision
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sorry, SE. If it makes you feel better, I will be starting a third one after this one is complete.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sorry, but I just could wait until tomorrow to post this one. It's ready, & I'm too excited to hold it back any longer.

As promised, I am proud to present the monster that you all voted for. Without further ado, I give you the Deus ex Machina.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

“God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform;
    He plants His footsteps in the sea, and rides upon the storm.”

- Light Shining out of Darkness by William Cowper, 1779

Deus ex Machina
    Spoiler
    Show

An early model of D.E.M., caught in a moment of surprise.

Medium Construct (Angelic)
    Hit Dice: 24d10+20 (152HP)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 40’ (8 squares), Fly 120’ (24 squares, good maneuverability)
    Armor Class: 27 (+3 Dex, +14 natural); touch 13; flat-footed 24
    Base Attack/Grapple: +18/+26
    Attack: +3 holy greatsword +29 melee (2d6+11, 19-20/×2) or Slam +26 melee (1d6+8)
    Full Attack: +3 holy greatsword +29/+24/+19/+14 melee (2d6+11, 19-20/×2) or 2 Slams +26 melee (1d6+8)
    Space/Reach: 5’/5’
    Special Attacks: Angelic Chorus, Breath Weapon, Fear Aura
    Special Qualities: Angelic traits, Construct traits
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +11, Will +10
    Abilities: Str 26 (+8), Dex 17 (+3), Con -- (+0), Int 12 (+1), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 19 (+4)
    Skills: Balance +12, Climb +17, Intimidate +13, Jump +21, Listen +11, Search +10, Sense Motive +11, Spot +14
    Feats: Cleave, Dodge, Flyby Attack, Great Cleave, Hover (Bonus), Improved Flyby Attack, Mobility, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Spot), Spring Attack, Wingover
    Environment: Any
    Organization: solitary, pair, choir (3-12), or concert (13-60)
    Challenge Rating: 17
    Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items
    Alignment: always Neutral Good
    Advancement: 25-36HD (Medium), 37-48HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: N/A

The being before at first looked like a lovely young woman with large feathered wings. Upon closer inspection, however, the creature is revealed to be some sort of automaton. Its slender, curvy frame has obviously-artificial seems & mechanical joints. Its wings are not made of feathers, but are constructed of many pieces of shaped metal. Most unnatural of all, though, is its motionless & implacable face, finely crafted like that of a child’s doll.

Not all angelic beings are Outsiders. Indeed, beings of nearly every type have the potential to be suffused with holy energy. A prime example of this are the Dei ex Machina (singular Deus ex Machina), ardent defenders of all that is Good that just happen to be Constructs.

Originally crafted by Moradin himself in the Soul Forges of Erackinor, the Dei ex Machina (or D.E.M.s, for short) were designed to bolster the ranks of the armies of Good, in preparation for a potential showdown with the forces of Evil, specifically the Yugoloths. Moradin crafted the D.E.M.s in his mansion on the fourth layer of Celestia, Solania, with the help of his most talented dwarven petitioners. They worked for untold ages, perfecting the Constructs to be nearly perfect in every detail, with as much intricacy as a Humanoid being. Once their labors were complete, Moradin & his servants sent the D.E.M.s to be educated & trained by the petitioners of Pelor, on Elysium. Thus, the Deus ex Machina became paragons of Good above all else, indifferent to the concerns of Law or Chaos.

The D.E.M.s today patrol the entire multiverse, righting wrongs & combating the forces of Evil wherever they may be found. They are tireless servitors of ultimate goodness, doing good deeds & undoing evil ones without rest or mercy. They are rarely seen on the Material Plane, mostly because they are more frequently needed elsewhere, but when they do appear in mortal lands, their blessed voices sing an elegy of all that oppose them.

Most models of Dei ex Machina are around 6’ tall, & weigh about 400 pounds. All D.E.M.s are genderless, although most of them have an outer chassis that is shaped like one gender or the other; the majority of these appear to be female in shape. D.E.M.s can live indefinitely, & in fact many are several thousand years old. All D.E.M.s speak Celestial & Common as their native languages, although with their Tongues ability (see Angelic traits, below), they may converse with nearly any creature that has a language.

Combat
    A Deus ex Machina is a valiant warrior for the cause of Good, & as such, it is completely fearless in battle. It will enter combat with Evil beings without hesitation, often employing its breath weapon as an opening attack. It will then attempt to keep its enemies within range of its Angelic Chorus, demoralizing its opponents with hallowed song. If combat is at close range, it will employ its Fear Aura while hacking away at foes with its holy greatsword or slamming them with its metallic wings. A D.E.M. usually prefers to attack from above, so it will remain in flight as often as possible, using its many flying feats to control the battlefield.

Angelic Chorus (Su): A D.E.M. radiates an aura of celestial music that bolsters the righteous & maddens the wicked. Any good creature within 20’ of the Deus ex Machina who hears the music gains a +4 morale bonus on all attack rolls, damage rolls, & saving throws, as well as a +2 to the save DCs of their supernatural or spell-like abilities. Evil creatures within 20’ of the D.E.M. who hear the music must succeed at a Will save (DC26) or go berserk as per the rage spell. Those who succeed at their save instead receive a -4 morale penalty on all attack rolls, damage rolls, & saving throws. This is a sonic, mind-affecting ability. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Breath Weapon (Su): A D.E.M.’s breath weapon is usable once every 1d4+1 rounds, deals 6d8 points of electricity damage in a 40’ line, and allows a Reflex save (DC26) for half damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Fear Aura (Su): A D.E.M. can radiate a 10’-radius fear aura as a free action. A creature in the area must succeed on a Will save (DC26) or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 18th). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same D.E.M.’s aura for 24 hours. Other creatures with the Angelic subtype are immune to the aura. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Angelic traits: All creatures with the Angelic subtype possess the following traits:
    • Darkvision out to 60’ & low-light vision.
    • Immunity to acid, cold, & petrification.
    • Resistance to electricity 10 & fire 10.
    • +4 racial bonus on saves against poison.
    • Protective Aura (Su): Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC & a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20’ of the angel. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20’ (caster level equals angel’s HD). (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in an angel’s statistics block.)
    • Tongues (Su): All angels can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level equal to angel’s Hit Dice). This ability is always active.

Construct traits: All creatures with the Construct type possess the following traits:
    • No Constitution score.
    • Low-light vision.
    • Darkvision out to 60’.
    • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects.
    • Cannot heal damage on their own, but often can be repaired by exposing them to a certain kind of effect (see the creature’s description for details) or through the use of the Craft Construct feat. A construct with the fast healing special quality still benefits from that quality.
    • Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain.
    • Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless).
    • Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less.
    • Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected.
    • Because its body is a mass of unliving matter, a construct is hard to destroy. It gains bonus hit points based on size, as shown on the table.
    • Proficient with its natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with any weapon mentioned in its entry.
    • Proficient with no armor.
    • Constructs do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Deus ex Machina Lore
    Characters who have ranks in Knowledge (Arcana) or Knowledge (The Planes) can learn more about the Dei ex Machina. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DC’s.
    • DC22: “There exists a rare breed of angel that is actually a Construct.”
    • DC27: “This Angelic Construct is known as a Deus ex Machina, & it is a staunch opponent of all that is Evil.”
    • DC32: “Called a D.E.M. for short, it can bolster allies & intimidate enemies with its Angelic Chorus.”
    • DC37: Characters who succeed this Knowledge check know the D.E.M.s’ origins on Celestia & Elysium, as well as the specifics of its Breath Weapon & Fear Aura.

An advanced D.E.M. is floating above a scene that requires divine intervention.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2008-10-15 at 12:59 PM. Reason: fixed plural naming (thanks to Afroakuma)

18. - Top - End - #168

Default Re: [3.X] Vote Up a Monster #2: The Votening! (Monster Complete, PEACH)

I like. It screams "avant-garde action music video" to me.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome.

But there's a problem with the first picture: metal nipples. WHY???
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Oh God, you just had to give it that name, didn't you?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Oh God, you just had to give it that name, didn't you?
    So, what is the plural form?

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

If they're all coming from the same "machina," dei ex machina. If you're looking for the most accurate general form, it's dei ex machinis.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Or simply D.E.M.s to the general public.

Maybe I'm just used to looking at 4e numbers now, but doesn't 3d8 seem a little low on the damage scale for a CR 17? I know it's not the main focus of the creature, but shouldn't it's opening attack deal more damage or at least some type of status effect?

EDIT: Oh and this is terrific. I love it.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2008-10-15 at 12:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Meh; if it puts out enough of a beatdown, it's largely irrelevant. And yes, CR 17 is perfectly fine in the 2d8 range. Not to mention it'll rely on other abilities to make its case.

25. - Top - End - #175

I LOVE it! This kicks ass!!

My extended homebrew sig

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

@ All: I'm glad that you all like this one. It was a very interesting monster to create. I don't usually do Good monsters, let alone angelic ones. Since this one seems successful, I'm sure I'll be doing another VUAM soon.

@ cnsvnc: There aren't many decent pictures that come up when you google "robot angel". BTW, does your handle stand for something?

@ afroakuma: Yeah, that was a bit obvious, wasn't it? But hey, sometimes you gotta just call a cyclops a cyclops. It's a robot angel, for crying out loud. What else could I name it?

Also, thank you for the proper plural form. I've edited the entry to include that, & credited you in the Edit line.

@ MammonAzrael: You're right; that was a typo. It was meant to be 6d8; this has been fixed. I intended it to be a relatively low-power suckerpunch attack, with its frequency of use (once every 1d4+1 rounds) being a bit of a surprise. Also it was also chosen to be lightning because electricity resistance/immunity is something almost no demon/devil/yugoloth has, & it fits the robot theme (& the smiting-from-the-gods theme, too).

@ AstralFire: Thanks for your support, as well (I don't wanna leave you out).

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Technically, machina ex deus would be more appropriate.

Or maybe deus est machina?

I should stop now.

28. - Top - End - #178

This is...excellent.

I want to create a groub of these with different class levels, and make sure to give on of them psion levels solely so I can have them yell, "Dei Ex Machina! Combine!" and have one manifest fusion.

Keep these VUAM's up. They're fantastic fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

29. - Top - End - #179

Robot Angel with a Breath Weapon sounds like coma-inducing awesome to me. Wonderful job, Zeta Kai. Can't wait to participate in the next one, should you decide to hold it.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

*Shrug* if he tries not to hold it, I'll just include "Zeta Kai" as an option on the next Direct My Wrath.