New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 136 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435363738394041425782132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by k_bukie View Post
    Mystery Prize #3: Party at the Giant's house! Since travel for him is off the table, travel for the rest of us is on it.

Note: This message has been sarcasm. If you failed to detect the sarcasm, go back and try again until you do.
    I would do it.

Anyway, we have passed the 2nd mystery prize goal.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

2. - Top - End - #932
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The OOTS Reprint Drive at Kickstarter: Pledge now to get exclusive rewards!

Quote Originally Posted by k_bukie View Post
    Mystery Prize #3: Party at the Giant's house! Since travel for him is off the table, travel for the rest of us is on it.

Note: This message has been sarcasm. If you failed to detect the sarcasm, go back and try again until you do.
    Somehow, I don't think he has enough space at his place to host 3,700+ people...just a guess.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

3. - Top - End - #933
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEE!!!

Ahem, sorry. You just happened to tap into the Little Fanboy side of me right there. Carry on.
    Me too! I didn't know I still had it in me. Yet here I am jumping up and down like a little kid, waving my "GO OOTS GO!" banner with the best of them!

...not to mention excitedly upping my pledge each time Rich added new rewards, so much that it is now over 12x my original pledge! Onwards and upwards!
    Thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #934
    Dwarf in the Playground

I too love the fanboy feeling I get when stuff like this happens.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    I'm a bit confused about SSaDT. If you only want that book, it is a limited reward, and also in combination with W&XP. But other options, e.g. the 'print only special', also contain it and aren't limited. So, probably best to ask.
    As the Giant mentioned somewhere here in the thread (i think), his informations about the numbers of SSaDT available were not quite correct, but he could not "unlimit" the awards after he got to know this fact.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Absol197 View Post
    only about $75,000
    The scale of this thing is crazy...

Somehow, I don't think he has enough space at his place to host 3,700+ people...just a guess.
    Well, he definitely has enough money to rent a nearby warehouse. Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Pixie in the Playground

the next minor milestone to pass is 231000. 4x amount of original target.

8. - Top - End - #938

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Unisus View Post
    As the Giant mentioned somewhere here in the thread (i think), his informations about the numbers of SSaDT available were not quite correct, but he could not "unlimit" the awards after he got to know this fact.
    Correct, but he also pointed out that after the drive, he may end up pulling all the remaining copies off of Ookoodook and save them for prizes for various things (such as future Kickstarter drives). Since I believe he doesn't intend to reprint it at all (though I wouldn't be surprised if he put up another kickstarter drive to reprint it in a few years, after seeing how successful this one is), this might be your last chance to guarantee a copy.

9. - Top - End - #939

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Maniac View Post
    I too love the fanboy feeling I get when stuff like this happens.
    Talking about fanboy stuff, a while ago I posted

Quote Originally Posted by keldorn View Post
    Okay, at last look, we have just become the 50th largest fundraising project in KickStarter's history. We need:

<snip>
    $223,423 to be in the top 15
    $257,307 to match the largest project in the food category
    $281,990 to be in the top 10
    $345,992 to match the largest project in the film and video category
    $486,519 to be in the top 5
    $830,827 to match the largest project in the technology category
    $942,578 to match the largest project in the design category
    $942,579 to be the largest project.
    I did eventually discover four current projects that were bigger than we were at the time, but we have since passed two of those and look how close we are to running this one down. I'll produce a list of our remaining top 15 targets once I notice we have passed that one.

Oh well, I couldn't wait that long. Here are the current top 15 projects in terms of money including both completed and open projects.

1. $942,578 Design
    2. $938,771 Design
    3. $830,827 Technology
    4. $735,802 (and growing) Design
    5. $556,541 Technology
    6. $486,518 Design
    7. $369,569 Design
    8. $364,698 Design
    9. $345,992 Film and Video
    10. $306,944 Design
    11. $281,989 Design
    12. $273,725 Film and Video
    13. $262,351 Technology
    14. $259,293 Technology
    15. $257,307 Food

Thirteen of those are products which have uses, as is the one which we are running down. So we are already the third largest "arts" project. With the pent up demand for DStP as part of various packages, including signed ones, I think we will take positions 15 to 12 in a rush when we get there and become the second biggest arts project. If we get to the third bonus award, we will probably get to be in the top 10. Unless Rich has further fundraising plans that he hasn't yet mentioned, I can't see us getting to position 9 and becoming the biggest arts project at the same time.
    Last edited by keldorn; 2012-01-28 at 05:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #940

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I'm not saying it's likely, but you never know. He might just be sick of drawing those damn stick figures & this is his project-pension so to speak.
    Speaking as an actuary who has specialized in annuities and retirement issues.... $1 million isn't a lot of money for the rest of your life (iirc, I'm about the same age as The Giant, but I could be wrong).

I've had to explain this to some of my friends who thought they could retire in their 30s at less than $1M (but then the internet bubble burst, and it became moot).

In any case, we know this is unlikely in any event.
    My God.... It's full of stars....

11. - Top - End - #941
    Firbolg in the Playground

Look at that, I wanted a non-book reward, I go away for a day, and here's one ! Several, in fact, but all he limited ones are gone already. Oh well.

Seriously, congratulations to Rich for this runaway success. Even though it means a lot of days and nights will have to be spent signing and shipping rewards of all shapes and stripes

I suspect we'll see a slowing down in the comic updates because of this. No big deal, it's well worth it.

12. - Top - End - #942

Thirteen of those are products which have uses, as is the one which we are running down. So we are already the third largest "arts" project. With the pent up demand for DStP as part of various packages, including signed ones, I think we will take positions 15 to 12 in a rush when we get there and become the second biggest arts project. If we get to the third bonus award, we will probably get to be in the top 10. Unless Rich has further fundraising plans that he hasn't yet mentioned, I can't see us getting to position 9 and becoming the biggest arts project at the same time.
    Depending on what the second "Mystery Prize" is, we might get another push when Rich announces it. He intimated that it wouldn't go straight to the $10 pledges. If it goes to the $14+ people, then not only will we get a small boost from new people pledging $14, but possibly a fair number of the $10 people raising that small amount to get the new reward. Even if only a quarter of the $10 people upgrade, that's still over a thousand we'll raise from that.
    Last edited by Absol197; 2012-01-29 at 12:29 AM.
    "It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." --Iroh
    LGBTAitP! If you want to talk, learn, or have some fun, stop by!
    Avatar by the lovely Lycunadari!

13. - Top - End - #943
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    Should the Giant leave the Playground,
    We lose our strongest warden of the Rich Baker.
    He knows what is at stake here.
    I cannot believe he would abandon all to that fate.
    I'm reading this thread as much for the continuing epic of the Rich Baker as I am for gushing about the drive. Please, good sir, don't stop!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #944

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Seriously, congratulations to Rich for this runaway success. Even though it means a lot of days and nights will have to be spent signing and shipping rewards of all shapes and stripes

I suspect we'll see a slowing down in the comic updates because of this. No big deal, it's well worth it.
    If history is any guide, Rich will take a break at the end of the current arc, which is maybe 20-30 strips away. I'd guess he would use that time to do all the signing and shipping stuff.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

15. - Top - End - #945
    Dwarf in the Playground

At this point, the toughest milestone to hit might be the $255,000 for the DStP rewards to get thrown in. Once those are thrown in, the $300,000 barrier should be easily doable.

16. - Top - End - #946

Depending on what the second "Mystery Prize" is, we might get another push when Rich announces it. He intimated that it would go straight to the $10 pledges. If it goes to the $14+ people, then not only will we get a small boost from new people pledging $14, but possibly a fair number of the $10 people raising that small amount to get the new reward. Even if only a quarter of the $10 people upgrade, that's still over a thousand we'll raise from that.
    According to my count, there are 14 people who haven't selected a prize. My guess is that they are mostly likely either people who have donated a token dollar to show moral support, or people who have paid $10 and just want the e-comics and don't need a fridge magnet. The latter might be willing to up to a new prize level that is something like an e-comic but I can't see them being motivated by anything else material unless they are interested in some of the commissioned material and missed out on the rush to take those offers up. I suspect that those who have just bid for the magnets might again be persuaded to up slightly for something like an e-comic. But a lot of them are probably relatively poor and won't be able to pay much more.

I think that the number of people who went for the $10 and $14 prizes was over 1400 at some point. Therefore some of the people who went for the posters might be interested in higher value objects.

17. - Top - End - #947

Cool! Numbers are all 2's, 7's and 3's...

Backers
    $227,227
    pledged of $57,750 goal
    days to go
    Thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

18. - Top - End - #948

Oh ma gaaaaaaawd.
    So... much... money....

How many short stories are we getting out of this at the moment? 5 certain ones (how the Paladin got his Scar, Julio Scoundrel story, and the $1,250 bidders stories...), six if Mystery Prize number two is another short story...

Woah.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Dwarf in the Playground

Now that things have slowed down enough for data not to become hopelessly out of date the moment it's posted, I did some statistical analysis of the pledges so far:

Spoiler
    Show
    {TABLE]Level|Backers|Money|% Backers|% Money
    $10|1,064|$10,640|28.21%|4.69%
    $14|292|$4,088|7.74%|1.80%
    $25|232|$5,800|6.15%|2.55%
    $26|153|$3,978|4.05%|1.75%
    $29|22|$638|0.58%|0.28%
    $35|189|$6,615|5.01%|2.91%
    $37|12|$444|0.31%|0.19%
    $38|25|$950|0.66%|0.41%
    $42|15|$630|0.39%|0.27%
    $45|375|$16,875|9.94%|7.44%
    $50|25|$1,250|0.66%|0.55%
    $52|30|$1,560|0.79%|0.68%
    $57|30|$1,710|0.79%|0.75%
    $60|25|$1,500|0.66%|0.66%
    $61|78|$7,758|2.06%|3.42%
    $62|24|$1,488|0.63%|0.65%
    $65|15|$975|0.39%|0.43%
    $67|271|$18,157|7.18%|8.00%
    $68|260|$17,680|6.92%|7.79%
    $79|80|$6,320|2.12%|2.78%
    $83|25|$2,075|0.66%|0.91%
    $84|10|$840|0.26%|0.37%
    $87|76|$6,612|2.01%|2.91%
    $92|34|$3,128|0.90%|1.37%
    $94|130|$12,220|3.44%|5.39%
    $96|30|$2,880|0.79%|1.27%
    $100|10|$1,000|0.26%|0.44%
    $192|121|$23,232|3.20%|10.24%
    $240|15|$3,600|0.39%|1.58%
    $250|50|$12,500|1.32%|5.51%
    $262|30|$7,860|0.79%|3.46%
    $600|5|$3,000|0.13%|1.32%
    $1,250|3|$3,750|0.07%|1.65%
    $5,000|1|$5,000|0.02%|2.20%[/TABLE]

No level selected: 14
    Amount provided by people pledging above their level: $29,962

Contribution of the top 1%: ~8.5%
    Contribution of the top 50%: ~70%

I realize that the percent total of all the lines doesn't add up to 100% - I blame rounding.

Thanks to Grey_Wolf_c for telling me how to make the table actually look right

I didn't expect it to take me so long to wrestle with the table, so the data is slightly more out of date than expected. A couple of things stand out to me as worthy of note or unusual:

• A surprisingly low number of people (0.37%) chose to receive no reward for their pledge. On the other hand, about 13% of the funds come from people pledging above their level of reward, which would make it the largest pledge category if it were one.
    • The workhorse reward levels appear to be those including a copy of one of the print-only books, accounting for about 20% of the total funds.

I might do some more statistics later, but I need to go now.
    Last edited by Exediron; 2012-01-29 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Edited to add a better table

20. - Top - End - #950
    Dwarf in the Playground

or people who have paid $10 and just want the e-comics and don't need a fridge magnet.
    Then those people are going to be disappointed when they get nothing. You have to select SOME reward for Rich to get your email so he can send you the PDF. We learned this when I said I didn't want the magnet.

21. - Top - End - #951

Quote Originally Posted by Exediron View Post
    Now that things have slowed down enough for data not to become hopelessly out of date the moment it's posted, I did some statistical analysis of the pledges so far:

<snip>

<snip>

I didn't expect it to take me so long to wrestle with the table, so the data is slightly more out of date than expected. A couple of things stand out to me as worthy of note or unusual:

• A surprisingly low number of people (0.37%) chose to receive no reward for their pledge. On the other hand, about 13% of the funds come from people pledging above their level of reward, which would make it the largest pledge category if it were one.

<snip>

Thanks for the effort I was doing a preliminary analysis too but did not get anywhere near as far as you. My instinct is that most of the people going for no reward are token amounts just showing moral support. I'm pretty sure that we were forced to select an item from the list to get the emails of the comics. Given that donations are likely to be made almost entirely by OOTS fans, I can't see why any OOTS fan who could afford the $10 would decline to have the emails.

I wonder how much of that 30 odd K is postage out of the US. The total works out as about $8 per pledger. It would pay for nearly 3000 small packages to Europe or around 1350 boxes there. Then there are some people who have ordered extra copies of books in boxes. And some may have put in extra money in the expectation of buying DStP and the hope of bringing its availability closer. Once things settle down again after that barrier, you can see how the excess amount has changed as a proportion.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Well,
    we've been stuck at 3797 backers for a good 20 minutes, which leads me to believe we have reached a level of saturation, with both the influx of new backers and the amounts the currents backers can or are willing to give.

I did some google searches and aside from a couple of blogs and several dozen message board posts scattered around, No major RPG site or webcomics site has posted anything about the pledge drive (aside from Erfworld, but that readership crosses oots so closely, I'm not sure how much of a bump that may have given). The various outlets that already have the drive (and the comic) exposed to its readers have allowed us to get this far, but everything is slowing down.

If the drive could garner a foothold in an adjacent audience or even a little love from a major rpg website, I would wager we could easily crush the $300K barrier with an influx of fresh readers/pledgers.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

If the drive could garner a foothold in an adjacent audience or even a little love from a major rpg website, I would wager we could easily crush the $300K barrier with an influx of fresh readers/pledgers.
    I'm a little surprised Howard Tayler hasn't given the drive a plug, actually. Given that they share the Ookoodook connection, I was hoping a bump from that direction, and if the readership of Schlock Mercenary gets involved in this, it could provide with another major jump. It's not Penny Arcade level, but still quite a bit.

Edit: on the other hand, they did just recently have their own drive, so maybe they are tapped out.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2012-01-28 at 11:35 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #954
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    on the other hand, they did just recently have their own drive, so maybe they are tapped out.
    As long as the exposure can propagate to new audiences.
    Its all about tipping the right domino and putting it in front of the right person.
    If it takes one or two iterations to get to that point, I think we still have time.
    Last edited by WampaX; 2012-01-28 at 11:47 PM.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

Well,
    we've been stuck at 3797 backers for a good 20 minutes, which leads me to believe we have reached a level of saturation, with both the influx of new backers and the amounts the currents backers can or are willing to give.

I did some google searches and aside from a couple of blogs and several dozen message board posts scattered around, No major RPG site or webcomics site has posted anything about the pledge drive (aside from Erfworld, but that readership crosses oots so closely, I'm not sure how much of a bump that may have given). The various outlets that already have the drive (and the comic) exposed to its readers have allowed us to get this far, but everything is slowing down.

Lets wait and see what Mystery Prize #2 is. The Giant mentioned in the last update that it wouldn't quite be available to those pledging the lowest amount, so that might inspire some people to increase their pledge, depending on what it is and what the minimum pledge to get it is.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd plug the drive across a few sites I know...if they wouldn't insta-ban me for it.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. The amount is still going up, slowly but surely. But it is slowing down as it always does at this time at night. The difference is, instead of getting approx $600 an hour, right now it is getting approx $400 an hour:

All times Pacific Standard:

3-4pm 3,770 $226,701 $522
    4-5pm 3,778 $227,283 $582
    5-6pm 3,785 $227,767 $484
    6-7pm 3,794 $228,365 $598
    7-8pm 3,797 $228,479 $114
    8-9pm 3,801 $228,905 $426

I only included the last few hours, but the amount raised all day before then bounced around $750.

It'll probably bounce around the $150-$450 range in the "overnight" hours, depending on what happens when Rich posts his update. But if the amount raised goes to approx $500 tomorrow during the daylight hours in the US time zones (and I see no reason why it shouldn't) the drive will probably cross the DStP threshold sometime Monday or Tuesday. Then we get another "surge" from those orders.

At least that's how I see it at the mo.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-01-29 at 12:23 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

28. - Top - End - #958
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

I'd expect a surge when Rich announces Mystery Prize #2.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

29. - Top - End - #959

Quote Originally Posted by Exediron View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Level-------Backers------Money-------Percent Backers-----Percent Money
    $10---------1,064---------$10,640-------28.21%--------------4.69%
    $14---------292-----------$4,088--------7.74%---------------1.80%
    $25---------232-----------$5,800--------6.15%---------------2.55%
    $26---------153-----------$3,978--------4.05%---------------1.75%
    $29---------22------------$638----------0.58%---------------0.28%
    $35---------189-----------$6,615--------5.01%---------------2.91%
    $37---------12------------$444----------0.31%---------------0.19%
    $38---------25------------$950----------0.66%---------------0.41%
    $42---------15------------$630----------0.39%---------------0.27%
    $45---------375-----------$16,875-------9.94%---------------7.44%
    $50---------25------------$1,250--------0.66%---------------0.55%
    $52---------30------------$1,560--------0.79%---------------0.68%
    $57---------30------------$1,710--------0.79%---------------0.75%
    $60---------25------------$1,500--------0.66%---------------0.66%
    $61---------78------------$7,758 -------2.06%---------------3.42%
    $62---------24------------$1,488 -------0.63%---------------0.65%
    $65---------15------------$975----------0.39%---------------0.43%
    $67---------271-----------$18,157-------7.18%---------------8.00%
    $68---------260-----------$17,680-------6.92%---------------7.79%
    $79---------80------------$6,320 -------2.12%---------------2.78%
    $83---------25------------$2,075--------0.66%---------------0.91%
    $84---------10------------$840----------0.26%---------------0.37%
    $87---------76------------$6,612--------2.01%---------------2.91%
    $92---------34------------$3,128--------0.90%---------------1.37%
    $94---------130-----------$12,220-------3.44%---------------5.39%
    $96---------30------------$2,880--------0.79%---------------1.27%
    $100--------10------------$1,000--------0.26%---------------0.44%
    $192--------121-----------$23,232-------3.20%---------------10.24%
    $240--------15------------$3,600--------0.39%---------------1.58%
    $250--------50------------$12,500-------1.32%---------------5.51%
    $262--------30------------$7,860--------0.79%---------------3.46%
    $600--------5-------------$3,000--------0.13%---------------1.32%
    $1,250------3-------------$3,750--------0.07%---------------1.65%
    $5,000------1-------------$5,000--------0.02%---------------2.20%

No level selected: 14

Contribution of the top 1%: ~8.5%
    Contribution of the top 50%: ~70%

I realize that the percent total of all the lines doesn't add up to 100% - I blame rounding.

This forum isn't really optimized for posting tables

• The workhorse reward levels appear to be those including a copy of one of the print-only books, accounting for about 20% of the total funds.

Remember that many of those who pledged beyond their reward level are either extra magnets, shipping costs, extra books and the like.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Troll in the Playground

Oh well, I couldn't wait that long. Here are the current top 15 projects in terms of money including both completed and open projects.
    As an odd coincidence, I updated the Top 10 Projects section on the Kickstarer Wikipedia page just a few hours before you posted that. Turns out I could have just waited and copied you...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'm a little surprised Howard Tayler hasn't given the drive a plug, actually. Given that they share the Ookoodook connection, I was hoping a bump from that direction, and if the readership of Schlock Mercenary gets involved in this, it could provide with another major jump. It's not Penny Arcade level, but still quite a bit.

Edit: on the other hand, they did just recently have their own drive, so maybe they are tapped out.

Grey Wolf
    Well, I contributed to both. I'll just go suggest it to Mr. Tayler on Facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.