New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: OOTS #883 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Durkon probably still has whatever spells he was granted this morning. He probably will need to change deities to get more, though.
    I doubt a priest of Thor gets spells that can summon fiends.

Edit: @Another Poet: Wasn't necessarily assuming Hel was evil, but she is a death god who doesn't have any priests, and that's been a theory round here for a while now. Personally, I thought it would humanize Durkula a bit to still have to deal with a ditzy Northern God when praying for spells, which would be nice.
    Last edited by TRH; 2013-04-09 at 05:12 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Ohhh, demons! And Durkula is too helpful.

(Tarquin - Nale banter comically one sided, as usual.)
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

Well, it's certainly convenient that Durkon kept the receipts of his spells so he could exchange them for more fashionable ones in the store.
    And once again, Probability proves itself willing to sneak into a back alley and service Drama as would a copper-piece harlot.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rakoa View Post
    Most likely. Considering that the Ancient Black Dragon was...ancient, she likely had a whole lot of ancestors to slaughter.
    decendants.

I don't really see Nale's insult being towards z, more than Q'arr. Z may still take it personally, though.

Durkon got a spell that summons an extra planar ally. Who are his allies now? fiends.
    Last edited by Chad30; 2013-04-09 at 05:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Who said the opposites theme is over? Spellcaster-only party against party with no spellcasters.

So, Tarquin is off to rendezvous with the rest of his pals? shoulder pad guy, ice mage, tigress-woman and stones-girl.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    I saw it as more Qarr twisting the knife in V's chest even more.
    Ditto. Taunts and insults by imps should generally have [citation needed] at the end of them.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    Nale appears to be digging his own grave by being all haughty towards Zz'dtri like that. Way to potentially alienate the last person in the group who might have residual loyalty towards you
    I dunno, mocking an evil spellcaster's familiar? Would Zz'dtri even care? He probably treats Quarr about as well as Tarquin treats a butler. The last evil spellcaster I played named his undead eagle familiar "Mistake."

He outlived us all.

edit: Ah, Zz'dtri is frowning though. Hmm.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2013-04-09 at 05:22 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Didn't you hear? Elan is a spellcaster (who doesn't count).

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by warmachine View Post
    The author has artistic license to play fast and loose with D&D rules but vampire Durkon casting evil spells this soon is going too far. I doubt the story even needs a spellcasting vampire Durkon. Team Nale already has a divine and an arcane caster and Durkon no longer with OotS is itself a devastating blow.
    Actually no this is allowed in the rules. Durkon doesn't lose the spells he prepared in the morning and he already had planar ally prepared as mentioned earlier.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planarAllyLesser.htm

Planar ally doesn't require you to specify what creature you are summoning ahead of time. Durkon doesn't even NEED a god for it, he could just do a general plea for evil outsiders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

HEY! History isn't over yet mister!!

So Qarr will be the one heading V to the party? That smells pretty bad
    My Player Registry entry.
    Avatar made by Andraste, thanks lots!

10. - Top - End - #70

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Chad30 View Post
    Durkon got a spell that summons an extra planar ally. Who are his allies now? fiends.
    Good point, but that spell has a ten-minute casting time. There might have been a skip there, but I'm not sure I see it. Still, anything for a little false hope!

As for Z, I don't see him hanging Nale out to dry unless he really has to. He's shown a lot of dedication sticking with the guy for as long as he has, and being a member of the Linear Guild ensures that he'll get chances to off V on a regular basis, which seems to be his primary goal at the moment. Since I don't see V dying to the LG, Z probably won't get an opportunity to turn coat.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Who said the opposites theme is over? Spellcaster-only party against party with no spellcasters.

So, Tarquin is off to rendezvous with the rest of his pals? shoulder pad guy, ice mage, tigress-woman and stones-girl.
    Well, Nale did. (I feel Shaaaaame)

Likely. I think Qarr is going to have a good old "You need to fight the Evil, Vaarsuvius". Blackwing will question why, but Vaarsuvius will realize he needs to help. Yay speculating!
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Colossus in the Playground

The author has artistic license to play fast and loose with D&D rules but vampire Durkon casting evil spells this soon is going too far.
    The SRD:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm

seems to go with: Vampire clerics immediately gain new domains, replacing their old ones (and thus, logically, a new patron deity).

Clerics
    Vampire clerics lose their ability to turn undead but gain the ability to rebuke undead. This ability does not affect the vampire’s controller or any other vampires that a master controls. A vampire cleric has access to two of the following domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil, or Trickery.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TLhikan View Post
    Hm, I thought that Nale would be more attached to the Evil Opposites theme. No matter.
    No look at the OOTS:

Roy
    Belkar
    Haley
    Elan.

They are all some form of physical fighting type.

The Linear Guild are still evil opposites. its just that Nale doesn't realize that "four evil spell casters" count as evil opposites to "four good dashing fighters"
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's probably a Planar Ally or Summon Monster type spell that he was previously planning to use to summon a Celestial animal of some kind. You don't have to pick what you summon until you cast it, so now he picked some kind of fiend.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Faili View Post
    Infinite channels with nothing on.....
    And everything goes to commercial just as you flip to that channel.

Also: helpful Durkon is ADORABLE. (And still has spells! I wonder if they are still Thor's or if Nergal just processes new employees quickly...)

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Whoops, left Kilkil out of Panel #4. Fixed now.
    Dang! the Forum missed out on an orgy of speculation over how Kilkil can make himself invisible (I maintain that it should be an innate ability of his bureaucrat prestige class ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    Two things:

2. If V *is* history's worst mass murderer, then Haerta must have never actually used Familiacide....
    Or perhaps Qarr is a liar. Could it be?

After all, is Blackwing *really* dimwitted? Bird-brained yes ...

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    So... whatever Tarquin's up to, it is something that requires Kilkil? I wonder what that could be?
    Perhaps Tarquin's the sort of lawful that requires the proper forms be filled out: treasure taken, XPs gained, maps drawn on graph paper 10 feet to the square. In other words: a gamer!
    Last edited by rewinn; 2013-04-09 at 05:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

AssassinGuy

biggrin Re: OOTS #883 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1011 View Post
    Is it wrong that I find Blackwing hilarious on such a sad topic?
    Absolutely not. It was probably the best he could do to countermand the fiend logically. Any other contrary statement to what the fiend said would not be true. The absolute logic of the response is hilarious. That is my favorite kind of humor.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    I doubt a priest of Thor gets spells that can summon fiends.

Edit: @Another Poet: Wasn't necessarily assuming Hel was evil, but she is a death god who doesn't have any priests, and that's been a theory round here for a while now. Personally, I thought it would humanize Durkula a bit to still have to deal with a ditzy Northern God when praying for spells, which would be nice.
    It would be nice, but it would also be a huge drag, unless the peculiarities of Durkula are really so important. Instant conversion to a new deity does not quite make sense, but it is a lot more fun.

In most cases, a Summon Monster N spell is just a spell. The cleric only has to please his god by making an allowed choice when cast. Durkon intended to cast something nice, but Durkula ended up choosing otherwise.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

says...

"Just four spellcasters under my command..."
    Four?

I count (as does Tarquin) "two vampire clerics and a [dark elf] wizard." Who is the fourth?

Unless Kilkil can cast, but he's staying back with Tarquin.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2013-04-09 at 05:19 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

20. - Top - End - #80

Actually, didn't Durkon say earlier his plan to guard the gate was to summon some celestials? That's probably the spell he used just now.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Oh, Blackwing. I think that might possibly be the WORST possible retort, given the circumstances.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    You don't have to pick what you summon until you cast it, so now he picked some kind of fiend.
    While it hasn't been specified, the tail, roughly Medium size, and spikes, has lead to the speculation that Durkon's fiend is a hamatala or "barbed devil" from MM.

Z's fiend looks vaguely lobster-ish. Piscoloth from Fiend Folio (a book that's already been referenced once in-strip) seems to me the most likely candidate.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2013-04-09 at 05:20 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

23. - Top - End - #83

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    No look at the OOTS:

Roy
    Belkar
    Haley
    Elan.

They are all some form of physical fighting type.

The Linear Guild are still evil opposites. its just that Nale doesn't realize that "four evil spell casters" count as evil opposites to "four good dashing fighters"
    ...hrmmm...

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shred-Bot View Post
    And everything goes to commercial just as you flip to that channel.

Also: helpful Durkon is ADORABLE. (And still has spells! I wonder if they are still Thor's or if Nergal just processes new employees quickly...)
    Yeah, that's how you do it. Turn on a channel, and see something interesting for a second, then it goes to commercial for however long you stay on the channel.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

The author has artistic license to play fast and loose with D&D rules but vampire Durkon casting evil spells this soon is going too far.
    You know, you're right. I have gone too far this time. I'll stop making new strips now. Everyone, go home. The comic is over. My bad, I went too far.

Tell you what, you read the vampire template entry, particularly the part where it explicitly says that vampire clerics can still cast spells just with different domain access, and you tell me where it says anything about gods or temporary loss of access there. It doesn't. Vampire clerics do not need to worship a god to cast spells, because NO cleric needs a god to cast spells. The rules specifically allow for "non-theistic" clerics, and explains exactly what the effects of turning into a vampire has on a cleric: Rebuke instead of Turn, different domains. Period.

The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

26. - Top - End - #86

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Oh, Blackwing. I think that might possibly be the WORST possible retort, given the circumstances.
    I know, Blackwing's social skills are almost as bad as V's own, am I right?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    Fair 'nuff

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quarr hasn't exactly had a lot of luck dealing with Blackwing. Maybe he'll get outsmarted by the bird super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur again.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    I dunno, mocking an evil spellcaster's familiar? Would Zz'dtri even care? He probably treats Quarr about as well as Tarquin treats a butler. The last evil spellcaster I played named his undead eagle familiar "Mistake."
    Under the circumstances, is it wise to take the risk either way?

Granted, Zz'dtri might not care. The entire purpose of the interaction may have been just to play up Nale's feelings for Sabine plus the Description Cut gag. But it does seem pointlessly antagonistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    says...

Four?

I count (as does Tarquin) "two vampire clerics and a [dark elf] wizard." Who is the fourth?
    I guess himself?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

When Nale said "Four spellcasters" I was like: "Oh crap, maybe Kilkil's actually some kind of crazy powerful spellcaster and we didn't know it."

And then I realized "Oh wait, he's counting his own limpdick, multiclassed enchantment-based sorcerer powers."
    'Tear down creation just to see if you can.'