New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery IX: the thread levels up again!

Quote Originally Posted by ghoul-n View Post
    Hmmm, can this be counted as Nale having Improved Disarm then :D? No visible AOOs here.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0361.html

This would also indicate that he must have Combat Expertise and Int 13+.
    Actually, he noted that the rookie was flat-footed, and if you win initiative, they are still flat-footed for your attack, thus not provoking AoO.

Haley did nearly the same thing against the Chimera early on in the story.
    Last edited by karkus; 2012-10-08 at 12:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Just popping in to remind you guys that Vaarsuvius should be listed with Knowledge: Religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Just popping in to remind you guys that Vaarsuvius should be listed with Knowledge: Religion.
    We've already talked/debated about that; results are inconclusive.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

There's always the possibility that Haley was not lying about having Dill Resistance.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

One of Durkon's possessions should be 10,000-20,000 gps worth of diamond dust.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by karkus View Post
    One of Durkon's possessions should be 10,000-20,000 gps worth of diamond dust.
    That's already on his list, actually.

Absent any mention of "Dill Resistance" in the D&D rulebooks, I believe the safest assumption is that Haley was bluffing in that comic.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think Nale may have the Feat Quick Draw from comic 811.

In this comic, Malack casts Harm and strikes Nale. Then, he casts Quickened Inflict, and misses Nale, but is still holding the charge, and Malack's turn ends. At the end of Malack's turn, Nale is wielding a Wand in one hand and the other is free. Sometime between Panels 4 and 5, Nale draws his sword. Note that a full panel is used for Nale to put his Wand away. Then he casts Dimension Door and escapes, all before Malack can get in a turn.

In summary, during Nale's turn, the following actions took place:
    1) Nale draws his sword
    2) Nale stows his wand
    3) Nale casts Dimension door

Typically stowing an item such as a wand is a move action. So is drawing a sword (unless you have +1 BAB, then you can draw it as part of movement). Dimension Door is a standard-action spell. For Nale to do this all in one turn he has to have Quick Draw to make drawing the sword a Free Action, right?
    Last edited by blazinghand; 2012-10-23 at 03:33 AM.
    Round 4: Eat Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Well at least your houserule skill check fumbles have houseruled fumble confirmations.
    The COre COliseum is a tactics-based arena for both 3.5e and 4e D&D. We run fights each week - so join today!
    Quickstart Guide
    Character Sheet

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blazinghand View Post
    I think Nale may have the Feat Quick Draw from comic 811.
    Yeah, and I think that I remember seeing him whip out a sword in a single panel, so he probably does have QD.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's already on his list, actually.

Absent any mention of "Dill Resistance" in the D&D rulebooks, I believe the safest assumption is that Haley was bluffing in that comic.
    Also, I thought that it was "10,000+" or something, because he said that there was only enough for one more, so I was just saying that it can be anywhere between those two numbers.

And I could've sworn that there are rules for Dill Resistance! Maybe it was in 3E and just wasn't updated...

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just occured to me that this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0633.html) gives another reason to suppose that V's second banned school is Necromancy.

The IFCC fiends say that they specifically picked the three souls they did in order to supplement V's magical weaknesses.

We see that the third soul is a sorceror-achmage, thus bypassing the requirement to prepare in advance that is a wizard's great weakness.

The first soul is a conjuror/teleporter, which we know is one of the domains V is banned from.

Only logical to suppose that the second soul (a necromancer) was chosen because she fills V's second banned school.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Banned

Necromancy has been listed as one of V's barred schools for some time.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

Haley has leveled up several times since she said that her Bluff skill was maxed out back in strip #412. We do not know if she continued to spend points on Bluff. (It seems likely that she would, but we do not know it with for sure).

Maybe her stats should change from 'maxed out Bluff skill' to 'at least 13 ranks in Bluff' since we know she was at least 10th level at the time.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Necromancy has been listed as one of V's barred schools for some time.
    Yes but now there's more information supporting that fact.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Both are created by casting a regular spell on a regular object. He already possessed a bouncy ball and a (NOT AVAILABLE AT YOUR SECURITY CLEARANCE), then he cast the Symbol spell and (CLASSIFIED) on them, respectively. Neither requires crafting.
    I wonder where Xykon got the bouncy ball. I like to imagine him standing outside of a supermarket feeding quarters into a capsule machine trying to get the prize he wanted.

15. - Top - End - #195

You forgot to do character listings for Banjo and Giggles!

I'm guessing one of Banjo's domains is trickery, but I'm not sure of anything else yet.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

16. - Top - End - #196

While I am convinced we will see a "God Banjo" at the end of the story, we still have not seen them as characters.
    So far they are only puppets and imaginated concepts and as such have no class or level.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

17. - Top - End - #197

But shouldn't they be at least 1rst-rank gods, since they have a couple of hundred worshippers?
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    But shouldn't they be at least 1rst-rank gods, since they have a couple of hundred worshippers?
    Provided they are characters and not items And Banjo has exactly one worshipper, while Giggles may have a few dozens, tops.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

19. - Top - End - #199

Someone pointed out that since the mythology of these two postulates that they are equal and paired, the orcish worshippers of Giggles will also give power to Banjo.

Lego Ergo Sum

20. - Top - End - #200

We do not even know if they are gods.

A "god" with x worshippers has rank y.
    Any stupid item with x worshippers is still a stupid item.

We yet do not know if Banjo is more than a stupid item (I assume he will be a god, but so far the comic has not shown anything like that).
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    We do not even know if they are gods.

A "god" with x worshippers has rank y.
    Any stupid item with x worshippers is still a stupid item.

We yet do not know if Banjo is more than a stupid item (I assume he will be a god, but so far the comic has not shown anything like that).
    He smote Roy and apparently talked with Thor. Jokes or not, I'd say that's something.

On the more relevant question as to whether Banjo should be listed in this thread as anything more than one of Elan's items, though, I'd say certainly not.

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    He smote Roy and apparently talked with Thor. Jokes or not, I'd say that's something.
    I always got the impression that Thor was watching the conversation between Elan and the priest, not that Banjo was having a parallel conversation with Thor himself.

(Sorry for the off-topic speculation)

23. - Top - End - #203

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post

On the more relevant question as to whether Banjo should be listed in this thread as anything more than one of Elan's items, though, I'd say certainly not.
    Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    I always got the impression that Thor was watching the conversation between Elan and the priest, not that Banjo was having a parallel conversation with Thor himself.

(Sorry for the off-topic speculation)
    He still smote Roy (and that was with only one worhsipper, he probably has a couple hundred by now).

Lego Ergo Sum

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Puts X at 18, +/- 2 levels, given standard duration. But this was before Rich started throwing around epic spells, and before he wrote SoD, so X could have gotten a retroactive power-up in the meantime. Too, a moderately escapable forcecage may have reduced duration as well as reduced anchoring. So, nothing definite.
    Rich started throwing around epic spells at the end of the battle; when Xykon used the "hippy headband" to cast Cloister.

The Xykon and Miko "exchange of information" would have been long after he upped Xykon's level, if indeed that's what he did.

Similarly Xykon's talk with Roy would have been long after that. Or in other words, Xykon doesn't give reliable information about his level.

That's over and above the problem of him actually having a reason to lie, i.e. his plan was to let Miko escape and run back to her crew of Paladins. Letting her subtly know he was level 16-20 simply can't be taken at face value.

25. - Top - End - #205

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    Similarly Xykon's talk with Roy would have been long after that.
    In addition, Xykon might overestimate Roy's level in that conversation and as such he has much more levels on Roy than he estimates. This talk is not reliable at all.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

You forgot to do character listings for Banjo and Giggles!
    Giggles has appeared in-comic too infrequently to be a candidate for this thread.

Banjo, on the other hand, may be a viable addition. However, can we say anything about him from a RAW perspective, more precise than "he might be a deity but we're not sure"? I don't believe it is RAW that any character with 100 worshippers automatically becomes a god (because if it were that easy, Tarquin would have pulled it off already).

I'm away from my OOTS books at the moment, but perhaps somebody could check the first few pages (with recaps and character backgrounds) to see if anything definitive is stated about our dear puppet.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, here's a list of Banjo strips. (No, I most definitely did not have this on my hard drive. )

It's a small list, but there it is.

28. - Top - End - #208

That last one should be 834.
    The Order of the Stick death pool thread -- place your bets! (Yes, it's still ongoing and maintained.)

29. - Top - End - #209

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    In addition, Xykon might overestimate Roy's level in that conversation and as such he has much more levels on Roy than he estimates. This talk is not reliable at all.
    Indeed. Roy did manage to destroy Xykon's body after all, which probably inflated Xykon's view of Roy's power level somewhat.

This was probably brought up at some point in the past, but searching a bit didn't turn anything up so I figured I'd ask. In SoD, when Xykon gets turned into a Lich, there's the 7 Million Dollar man parody page. It lists Xykon as being:

Heavy Duty: 16d12

Normal Duty: 12d8

What does this refer to? Are there different versions of lich? 12d8 seems awfully low for something as powerful as a lich.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

30. - Top - End - #210
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    This was probably brought up at some point in the past, but searching a bit didn't turn anything up so I figured I'd ask. In SoD, when Xykon gets turned into a Lich, there's the 7 Million Dollar man parody page. It lists Xykon as being:

Heavy Duty: 16d12

Normal Duty: 12d8

What does this refer to? Are there different versions of lich? 12d8 seems awfully low for something as powerful as a lich.
    I don't know what your copy of SoD says, but mine says this:

Necromantic Neuro-Link
    Bipedal Assembly
    Catalog 666-13B
    Arcane Feedback Terminated
    Power Supply:
    Negative Energy Plane
    16d12 Continuous Duty
    Overload Followers:
    12d8 Intermittent Duty

Class Sorcerer
    (italics mine)

I believe that 12d8 "intermittent duty" refers to Redcloak in some way, since it's his job to keep Xykon on full HP. Neither Harm nor any of the Inflict spells work like that though. Maybe it refers to Redcloak's hit dice at the time?
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2012-11-17 at 10:03 AM.