New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Boku No hero Academia I: because it deserves a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Well i think after Shigaraki pulling this off then noone will underestimate him. If the anti-quirk research were on the wagon he assulted. And its missing. Then even someone partly competent can assume Shigaraki stole it.
    Stole it or destroyed it?

Shigaraki, more than Overhaul and the yakuza, relies on a small band of dangerous people with dangerous quirks. And his teacher was a man who is at this point a walking bundle of quirks in a human body stockpiling powerful and simple to use quirks. Anti-quirk technology is just as harmful to Shigaraki as it is to the heroes and both possibilities are viable.

I personally wouldn't be surprised one bit of Shigaraki iced Overhaul's research in case he needs it in the future or just destroys it and uses the fear that he has it to manipulate the professional heroes.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well... he probably won't use the research in the same way Overhaul wanted to use it (introducing it into the black market), but it can still be very useful to him. I don't think he would just destroy it.

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ettin in the Playground

There's also the previously unreported capsule, which may just be the drug to restore quirks (since no one on the hero/police side knows about that), or may be something we haven't learned about yet; whichever it is, Shigaraki has it, and it wouldn't have been dangled if it wasn't going to come up later.

(Also, I finally got around to reading this. Hi y'all.)

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

There's also the previously unreported capsule, which may just be the drug to restore quirks (since no one on the hero/police side knows about that), or may be something we haven't learned about yet; whichever it is, Shigaraki has it, and it wouldn't have been dangled if it wasn't going to come up later.

(Also, I finally got around to reading this. Hi y'all.)
    Hey there, welcome aboard.

Yes it can be some sort of cryptic power restoring drug. I think i missed the reference to that myself. But it could also just contain the tracking device that allows Shigaraki to intercept the police transport.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Colossus in the Playground

It could be most anything given Compress's quirk is to compress things into capsule form, and the clone Compress went down to the battle area to do SOMETHING.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

No comment on the new chapter yet? I mean, I'm not super early but...

Spoiler
    Show

Nighteye is dead. Eri is in a coma (?). Everyone else is mostly fine. I still have to say I don't feel too bad... I just feel like we didn't know him long enough... and frankly, his speech was a bit too sappy for my taste. So all you need to change the world is willpower and wishing?
    Hm, maybe I'm just feeling grumpy.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

7. - Top - End - #1387

I've been busy so I hadn't noticed the new chapter was up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Holy **** Nighteye actually died. Holy ****. I was...not expecting that at all actually???? I mean...jeez. He died on screen too.

This is going to be...intense. And yeah, Eri's exhausted to the point of coma, and all our heroes are mostly okay barring Nighteye. It's...an interesting end to this arc. I can't wait to see the fallout from this.

8. - Top - End - #1388

I'm going to repeat myself: no matter what one thinks about the story of this manga, it certainly is masterful at telling it.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I was a little caught off-guard, but it makes sense.

I think Nighteye is exactly the right 'tier' of character to die at this point in the story. At its root, My Hero Academia is a shonen story about hope. It's not really in-genre for main characters to die as anything less than an ultimate sacrifice. At the same time, killing people like 'sand-hero' last chapter is pretty meaningless, emotionally. It tells us the bad guys are serious, but we don't actually care.

Nighteye has been around just long enough that we know his death will have a real impact on the survivors, without tearing a hole through the heart of the cast. It's a strong move without being a shocking one, and I think that is the right choice for the pacing of this story.

10. - Top - End - #1390

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I was a little caught off-guard, but it makes sense.

I think Nighteye is exactly the right 'tier' of character to die at this point in the story. At its root, My Hero Academia is a shonen story about hope. It's not really in-genre for main characters to die as anything less than an ultimate sacrifice. At the same time, killing people like 'sand-hero' last chapter is pretty meaningless, emotionally. It tells us the bad guys are serious, but we don't actually care.

Nighteye has been around just long enough that we know his death will have a real impact on the survivors, without tearing a hole through the heart of the cast. It's a strong move without being a shocking one, and I think that is the right choice for the pacing of this story.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's also the chance that Snatch the Sand Hero isn't dead, just hurt. But yeah, that's a good point. Nighteye is the right person to die here. Given some of the stuff we've heard about his relationship with All Might, the eventual funeral scene we're gonna get is going to be REALLY sad.

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No, I disagree. Obviously I'm not against killing characters but for me it's a thin line between making it seem an integral part of the story and being some emotional manipulation for the consumer.
    Here it seems much more the latter to me. Nighteye was just introduced this arc, so even with his history with AM this has little to do with Deku or us.
    If Kohei wanted a meaningful death it should have been AM after fighting AfO. He is important for the story and we have grown to love him and giving his life to stop him would have made sense. (not saying Sir giving his for the mission does not)

Obviously that's just my opinion and you are free to disagree with it.
    I'm not saying I don't like Nighteye or I think the story is bad or even this is terrible, but I have a hard time praising it, apart from the execution of the death scene.
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #1392

Personally, I agree with Friv... that said, my personal name for this storyarc is going to be
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Mirio's bad, very bad, ungood day"
    from now on.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2017-11-27 at 04:13 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I believe Nighteye was removed in large part because his quirk would be particularly difficult to plot around.

Every arc from now on would have to answer the question of why the good guys didn't get Nighteye to see the future for them. It's not the sort of ability one can bring up and then just ignore. But involving Nighteye either removes tension from the conflict, or warps the tension around the accuracy and implications of his quirk. It has too great a forced effect on the story, in a direction that isn't particularly relevant to the foundational arc of Izuku becoming the greatest hero.

Since Nighteye can't be ignored, and he can't be used effectively, he needs to go. So the writers quickly maxed out the tension around Nighteye's predictions, with Nighteye predicting All Might's death, and Izuku showing that Nighteye's predictions are not set in stone. And they tied this to Nighteye's other bit of structural relevance, which is his opposition to Izuku succeeding All Might. Once Izuku refutes the infallibility of Nighteye's predictions, Nighteye acknowledges Izuku, and as he has no other dynamics that need resolving, the writers are free to kill him off.

It all smells very convenient to the reader, and it's kind of a waste for the position of All Might's sidekick, but once the writers decided what this arc was going to be, it made sense for Nighteye to die at the end of it.

Odds on Eri eventually taking it upon herself to fix Mirio?
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2017-11-27 at 06:36 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

After careful consideration im going to agree on Kato' stance regarding the death.

It honestly feels like the author have decided to put Mirio on a bus for now. I mean it could clearly be that his Quirk just made it to hard to challenge him or write compelling stories where he were involved. But at the same time he is not dead. He can at any time be pulled back by either Eri rewinding him, or some miracle cure getting discovered.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

15. - Top - End - #1395

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I believe Nighteye was removed in large part because his quirk would be particularly difficult to plot around.

Every arc from now on would have to answer the question of why the good guys didn't get Nighteye to see the future for them. It's not the sort of ability one can bring up and then just ignore. But involving Nighteye either removes tension from the conflict, or warps the tension around the accuracy and implications of his quirk. It has too great a forced effect on the story, in a direction that isn't particularly relevant to the foundational arc of Izuku becoming the greatest hero.

Since Nighteye can't be ignored, and he can't be used effectively, he needs to go. So the writers quickly maxed out the tension around Nighteye's predictions, with Nighteye predicting All Might's death, and Izuku showing that Nighteye's predictions are not set in stone. And they tied this to Nighteye's other bit of structural relevance, which is his opposition to Izuku succeeding All Might. Once Izuku refutes the infallibility of Nighteye's predictions, Nighteye acknowledges Izuku, and as he has no other dynamics that need resolving, the writers are free to kill him off.

It all smells very convenient to the reader, and it's kind of a waste for the position of All Might's sidekick, but once the writers decided what this arc was going to be, it made sense for Nighteye to die at the end of it.

Hate to be that guy, but "writer". There's only the one.

That said you're not wrong. I just don't feel that way, I felt it worked perfectly okay.

16. - Top - End - #1396

New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

Honestly not much to say, this is the final little wrap up. It touches on some stuff we might of had questions about, and is pretty cool and nice. It does um...show a scene at the start that is interesting. Kurogiri's got a big boy up his sleeve, as it where.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    New chapter!
    Spoiler
    Show

Honestly not much to say, this is the final little wrap up. It touches on some stuff we might of had questions about, and is pretty cool and nice. It does um...show a scene at the start that is interesting. Kurogiri's got a big boy up his sleeve, as it where.
    Spoiler
    Show

Actually I got quite a few thoughts this time...

Like how would you even apprehend Kurogiri? Without injecting him with quirk supressant? As far as we know there's hardly a llimit to his power...
    Also, AfO's back up plan is a huge monster? Seems pretty unlikely, he's too smart for that.
    And I really like Mirio. There's just no way around it. I mean, I'd love to know how he lasted ten seconds against Chisaki without his quirk but apart from that...
    Finally: I think next week might get pretty funny. Much needed after the last chapters.
    "What's done is done."

18. - Top - End - #1398

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Actually I got quite a few thoughts this time...

Like how would you even apprehend Kurogiri? Without injecting him with quirk supressant? As far as we know there's hardly a llimit to his power...
    Also, AfO's back up plan is a huge monster? Seems pretty unlikely, he's too smart for that.
    And I really like Mirio. There's just no way around it. I mean, I'd love to know how he lasted ten seconds against Chisaki without his quirk but apart from that...
    Finally: I think next week might get pretty funny. Much needed after the last chapters.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay good point. Well, as we saw with Bakugo you can grab his neckbrace and that pretty much disables them. Slap those quirk supressing cuffs on him and you've got em. I have a feeling the giant isn't special because he's GIANT, given he has a radio on him that was broadcasting the weather...I think it's a weather control quirk who just happens to also be huge.

Mirio is just THAT GOOD in a fight. It's part of why he's going to become Batman. Also yes, some levity will be quite appreciated.

19. - Top - End - #1399

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically just clean up, but there's some cute moments here and there. Ashido's definitely gonna get some moments soon. Uraraka expresses that she's very upset she didn't do anything this arc, which same, same.

And we cut back to the current time so Todoroki and Bakugo can do their thing. M.Bison and Toga!Girl are here, as well as the gross meat puppet guy.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically just clean up, but there's some cute moments here and there. Ashido's definitely gonna get some moments soon. Uraraka expresses that she's very upset she didn't do anything this arc, which same, same.

And we cut back to the current time so Todoroki and Bakugo can do their thing. M.Bison and Toga!Girl are here, as well as the gross meat puppet guy.
    Spoiler
    Show

I'd say Katsuki is the worst Tsundere I ever saw... but I think that would require him to be soft on the inside?
    Also... for eff's sake, if the lesson for Deku is going to be "swallow your sadness" I'm gonna get angry. But eating up negative emotions is not a healthy way to deal with them.
    It's still cute to see the gang together again. I wonder if we'll actually get some romance from Kirishima...

Also... so.. is this toga or...?! It seems not but then how exactly...?
    "What's done is done."

21. - Top - End - #1401

Spoiler
    Show

I'd say Katsuki is the worst Tsundere I ever saw... but I think that would require him to be soft on the inside?

It's still cute to see the gang together again. I wonder if we'll actually get some romance from Kirishima...
    He'd better not. Kirishima isn't allowed romance when Bakugou isn't there to be on the receiving end.

/present mic drop
    Last edited by kjelfalconer; 2017-12-11 at 05:48 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

New chapter, I think

Spoiler
    Show
    This Camie is the real one, it seems, and they've figured out that the League of Villains masqueraded as her previously. I guess the authorities know Toga's power after seeing it in the yakuza raid.

I was worried that the real Camie had been killed to facilitate Toga's disguise, but it seems that they just drugged her.

Taking care of bratty kids, eh. Makes sense, considering why the three failed previously. Though it looks like even their teacher can't handle them. Todoroki and the hot wind guy might give it a sincere try, but Bakugou looks doubtful and the real Camie seems a bit...unfocused.

And Endeavour trying to get advice from All Might. Sorry, I just don't see Endeavour inspiring people by saving them with smiles and all that. He's the kind of hero who scares people into behaving, at best.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Titan in the Playground

Welcome... to hell, heroes.

Spoiler
    Show

Orca truly is an evil genius... I'm curious how they will manage this. Maybe shouto can distract the prepubescent girls with his... charme so cammie can handle a few of the boys while katsuki and wind guy take care of the rest? No idea.

Cammie's speech pattern is somewhat annoying. I wonder if it's better in Japanese.

Endeavor.. I guess his heart is in the right place, somewhat. But emulating AM is quite a challenge. We'll see if he can help him.
    I feel even orca would be more capable if he tried..
    "What's done is done."

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show

Orca truly is an evil genius... I'm curious how they will manage this. Maybe shouto can distract the prepubescent girls with his... charme so cammie can handle a few of the boys while katsuki and wind guy take care of the rest? No idea.

Cammie's speech pattern is somewhat annoying. I wonder if it's better in Japanese.

Endeavor.. I guess his heart is in the right place, somewhat. But emulating AM is quite a challenge. We'll see if he can help him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure he's going to try and emulate AM he just doesn't understand why crime rates are going up, as far as he's concerned he's stopping as many crimes as AM so obviously that means he should be having the same effect but obviously it doesn't work quite like that.

Also wind guys reaction to getting asked the question made me laugh more than it should have done.

25. - Top - End - #1405

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll get back to you on that when the official release comes out because man, fan translators ****ing suck but then also the official release does have Spinner just scream "GRAND THEFT AUTOOOOOO" while doing his spin out in the truck so Cammie could just actually be like that. Also god bless Gang Orca. EXTRA GUIDANCE!

Endeavor's big thing he wanted to talk about with such bluster and intensity...being that he genuinely doesn't know how to handle being the number one and now that he has it he can tell he shouldn't have it is heart rending. They've managed to make me feel sympathy for a man who practiced soft eugenics on his own children. That's impressive.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Camie
    Show
    Well, after reading two very different versions of what appears in Bakugou's speech bubbles I'm kind of skeptical about any character with distinct speech patterns. But yeah, upon a second read-through it is irritating. Maybe it's equally bad in the original Japanese, I don't know.

Though it does raise another point. Shiketsu is supposed to be a pretty highly ranked school, and she's made it to this point. She must have some redeeming qualities, and we haven't been shown her actual Quirk...
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

27. - Top - End - #1407

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Spoiler: Camie
    Show
    Well, after reading two very different versions of what appears in Bakugou's speech bubbles I'm kind of skeptical about any character with distinct speech patterns. But yeah, upon a second read-through it is irritating. Maybe it's equally bad in the original Japanese, I don't know.

Though it does raise another point. Shiketsu is supposed to be a pretty highly ranked school, and she's made it to this point. She must have some redeeming qualities, and we haven't been shown her actual Quirk...
    Spoiler
    Show
    She's probably just really skilled with a powerful quirk, while otherwise being a ditz.

Also yeah just read the official manga. **** scans, I only use them because the Shonen Jump website is genuinely not working for me whenever I try to give it money and that bothers me immensely.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    She's probably just really skilled with a powerful quirk, while otherwise being a ditz.

Also yeah just read the official manga. **** scans, I only use them because the Shonen Jump website is genuinely not working for me whenever I try to give it money and that bothers me immensely.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Interestingly, I often legit prefer scanlations to official releases.

I am buying Mahotsukai no Yome's release in my country to show support for a wonderful series, but Christ on a biscuit is the official Spanish translation stilted as hell. Give me more freeflowing, natural-sounding dialogue even if it's not quite as precise to the original any day, holy cow. I have the first five tomes in my shelf to my right but when I want to reread it I go to batoto to read the scanlation.

29. - Top - End - #1409

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Interestingly, I often legit prefer scanlations to official releases.

I am buying Mahotsukai no Yome's release in my country to show support for a wonderful series, but Christ on a biscuit is the official Spanish translation stilted as hell. Give me more freeflowing, natural-sounding dialogue even if it's not quite as precise to the original any day, holy cow. I have the first five tomes in my shelf to my right but when I want to reread it I go to batoto to read the scanlation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay I should clarify I mean the official ENGLISH translation. I know nothing about how other language translations go, but I know in this era of time the english translations are as perfect as you can get. I just...need to make the site...accept my credit caaaaard.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Okay I should clarify I mean the official ENGLISH translation. I know nothing about how other language translations go, but I know in this era of time the english translations are as perfect as you can get. I just...need to make the site...accept my credit caaaaard.
    Why is this spoilered? I hate the fact so many mostly American websites only accept credit cards. Not everyone has one of these...

I feel like Endeavor does know what is wrong, he wants to know how he can be more like AM..possibly.
    "What's done is done."