New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Thing is, I don't think I'd want to have to take a Knack for that.
    And the knack doesn't ACTUALLY do 'that'
    It does 'that' for under a day

where 'that' is 'taking someone's form by wounding them instead of killing them'
    Spoiler: Quotes Collection
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    I think we can pack it up and move to a different thread. aetherialDawn has won this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuna
    Sufficiently advanced paranoia is indistinguishable from complacency.

Avatar by me - sketch of Skywing.
    Exalted: Scriptures of the Castes PM me suggestions!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion Thread XI: Great Job, You Broke the Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I want shapeshifting.

But I want different shapeshifting. It cheapens it when you get to the point where the most efficient use of your essence in a combat where you won't absolutely curbstomp the enemy is to use your warform EVERY SINGLE TIME. I want less than that. I want to fight like Wolverine or Conan, not a guy who ate a zoan-class Devil Fruit (although the big guy on Chopper's home island was cool).
    What would you need in order to properly fight like Wolverine or Conan, in your opinion? I agree that, based on what I have heard about lunars, both should be viable lunar concepts, but have no clue what parts of them you think essential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    What would you need in order to properly fight like Wolverine or Conan, in your opinion? I agree that, based on what I have heard about lunars, both should be viable lunar concepts, but have no clue what parts of them you think essential.
    Wolverine is basically warform lite, plus some Gift charms and Sense charms.

Conan ... to emulate him I would advise Alchie Augmentations, Lunar equivalent Excellencies are trash or doesn't even compare. I always laugh hard when I read the fluff about Alchies being roughly equal to Lunars. Maybe in combat, otherwise Alchies win everywhere hands down. Up to including more thought out shape-shifting that seem to be equally good if not better.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rikandur Azebol View Post

Conan ... to emulate him I would advise Alchie Augmentations, Lunar equivalent Excellencies are trash or doesn't even compare. I always laugh hard when I read the fluff about Alchies being roughly equal to Lunars. Maybe in combat, otherwise Alchies win everywhere hands down. Up to including more thought out shape-shifting that seem to be equally good if not better.
    Congratulations: you just hit on why Lunars need fixing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

I would have gone with Relentless Lunar Fury for Wolverine.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevylmar View Post
    It turns out that sometimes? He *does* murder characters.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Gotham: Year One
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

6. - Top - End - #216

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by aetherialDawn View Post
    And the knack doesn't ACTUALLY do 'that'
    It does 'that' for under a day

where 'that' is 'taking someone's form by wounding them instead of killing them'
    No, there's a Knack in DotFA that gives you the desired form permanently through a completely different kind of 'that'. I'm not going to go into details, because that would get me into trouble with the mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Erotic Fantasy
    Love Life of an Ooze: One ooze. Idiot hits ooze. Two oozes.
    If you use a blood-based McGuffin in a campaign with a vampire PC, plan for what will happen when said PC sticks it in his mouth.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teln View Post
    No, there's a Knack in DotFA that gives you the desired form permanently through a completely different kind of 'that'. I'm not going to go into details, because that would get me into trouble with the mods.
    Compassionate Mirror Nature (beat them without killing them) & Courtesan’s Possession (through sex). Though that's still two Knacks we've had to sink XP into (the latter not available at chargen due to Ess. 4 pre-requisite) to not have to kill stuff in order to use the character's main ability.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

8. - Top - End - #218

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Congratulations: you just hit on why Lunars need fixing.
    Meh, I simply made Lunar and then Alchie character recently. These were obvious things that hit my eyes.
    Lunars "permanent" stat booster is expensive and requires E5, plus pre-requesities. Alchemical equivalent is stackable up to a point and with similar investment of XP You get much more points. The less strict prerequisites are also hitting the "WTF, designers" button.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Compassionate Mirror Nature (beat them without killing them) & Courtesan’s Possession (through sex).
    While the prospect of elbow-dropping onto a lion and bellowing, "STOLE YA SHAPE, MUTHA****AH!" is amusing, it's really not that helpful; ultimately, you're still having to hunt the animal and fight it, but now you're just beating the crap out of it instead of killing it.

And truth be told, in much of the wild, "injured" can pretty much equate to "dead" anyway, but now it's gonna be more slow and painful.

(Noooooot even going to get into Courtesan's Possession...)
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-07-29 at 10:10 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Kobold-Bard, you got a link to the source for the quote in your sig? It's awesome, but I want context.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Kobold-Bard, you got a link to the source for the quote in your sig? It's awesome, but I want context.
    Thread on the Exalted forum: "This is just a list of random facts that I've discovered, been able to infer or deduce based on evidence over the years."
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2012-07-29 at 11:06 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

12. - Top - End - #222

Meh, I simply made Lunar and then Alchie character recently. These were obvious things that hit my eyes.
    Lunars "permanent" stat booster is expensive and requires E5, plus pre-requesities. Alchemical equivalent is stackable up to a point and with similar investment of XP You get much more points. The less strict prerequisites are also hitting the "WTF, designers" button.
    While I don't have an actual quote, I believe Holden has said in the past that they weren't going to make Alchemicals stink just to be nice to Lunars. (Or in other words: The current dev team would have made Lunars as powerful as alchemicals are, but they weren't in charge then!)

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    While the prospect of elbow-dropping onto a lion and bellowing, "STOLE YA SHAPE, MUTHA****AH!" is amusing,
    It's a bloody hilarious mental image, is what it is.
    Now imagine a Lucha mask on the Lunar who does that.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Wolverine always has his claws and regeneration. I guess that sorta fits a guy who's always in warform, took Small, and didn't bother with any fur or anything?
    Okay... I DEFINITELY gotta get the Alchemicals book. I was thinking of making it my one other 2e purchase anyway, seeing as there's a 99% chance of us having to wait for years for them in 3e.

The 1% chance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Holden
    Time is a cruel and relentless monster.

That said, Alchies are my favorite guys, so. Let's wait and see!
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-07-29 at 02:23 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering that Alchemicals practically can stand alone as their own game and are hands down one of the best written splats in the entire line, I find it strange that you still don't have that book.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

He can also beat any Green Sun Prince or Third Circle Demon by 10 threshold successes in a "being Ligier's uke" contest, which I'm sure the Green Sun is very happy about.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    He can also beat any Green Sun Prince or Third Circle Demon by 10 threshold successes in a "being Ligier's uke" contest, which I'm sure the Green Sun is very happy about.
    How does this work?

And what's an uke?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

How does this work?

And what's an uke?
    Quick search on urban dictionary tells that "uke" is a japanese term for the passive member of a homossexual relationship.

The statement in question works simply by the fact that the Sun always succeeds on any roled action with a threshold of 10 successess.
    Last edited by Draken; 2012-07-29 at 03:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

19. - Top - End - #229

GnomePirate

Jade Dragon, You apparently forgot that Wolverine also have permanent version of Bones of Andamant spell and is suspected of being Infernal Monster Stylist.

And Alchemicals are good purchase on their own, their charmset built with head on the shoulders, so to speak. At least as far as my crude comparing with how their and theoretically comparable charms of Lunars are made.

How does this work ?
    Perfection Beyond Imagining charm used with mundane disguise check. There are also evidence pointing towards "Sol is always winning voting contests on being the greatest douche ever. Malfeas isn't amused by this slight to his grandness."

And what's an uke?
    I do not want to know, and You might wish to not know as well. There are reasons why Jupiter is crying into her pillow every night You know ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnar View Post
    While I don't have an actual quote, I believe Holden has said in the past that they weren't going to make Alchemicals stink just to be nice to Lunars. (Or in other words: The current dev team would have made Lunars as powerful as alchemicals are, but they weren't in charge then!)
    Truth to be told my beef is mostly with skewed charm mechanics in general, and Lunar specific Excellencies are very good example of these glaring, in my opinion, wrongs within current charm design.

My personal opinion is such that mechanically, charms should be consistent and leveled against each other. No dancing folly like Solar charm design seeming to be from different game than other charm designs.

I wish to see charms benefits balanced against the charm's costs. Not where one type of charms give 150% benefit output while other type of charms, from comparable power level charm-wise, are topping at 30% benefit or are so vague, *cough* Raksha Charms *cough* that ST's fear them in the hands of creative players and people have to houserule everything just for the sake of calming the hysteria and being able to make picture of character's ability in their own imagination. That doesn't differ drastically from what ST would think upon seeing the charms and general build of the said character.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    The statement in question works simply by the fact that the Sun always succeeds on any roled action with a threshold of 10 successess.
    Not really always. When he is holding the Trumpet of Absolute Victory, his Convition-based fulcrum, he has access to Perfection Beyond Imagining, a universally applicable Second Excellency which can add 1 success/mote up to 10 successes. By not paying motes but instead spending 1 wp, he can use that Charm to automatically succeed on any action or win any competition with a threshold of 10 successes, or when comparing static traits, automatically have 10 more than the other guy. This last effect can also be activated whenever the acts in accordance with his Motivation.

So there are a few limits to the automatic win effect of Perfection Beyond Imagining. The Unconquered Sun must be currently holding the Trumpet of Absolute Victory and not be suppressing Conviction, or he must be acting in accordance with his Motivation. In any case, he must spend Willpower.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Rikandur Azebol, doesn't quite work with the way the game is set up thematically.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Not really always. When he is holding the Trumpet of Absolute Victory, his Convition-based fulcrum, he has access to Perfection Beyond Imagining, a universally applicable Second Excellency which can add 1 success/mote up to 10 successes. By not paying motes but instead spending 1 wp, he can use that Charm to automatically succeed on any action or win any competition with a threshold of 10 successes, or when comparing static traits, automatically have 10 more than the other guy. This last effect can also be activated whenever the acts in accordance with his Motivation.

So there are a few limits to the automatic win effect of Perfection Beyond Imagining. The Unconquered Sun must be currently holding the Trumpet of Absolute Victory and not be suppressing Conviction, or he must be acting in accordance with his Motivation. In any case, he must spend Willpower.
    ... Yeah, if you are going to be specific about it, you can also specify that he loses access to the willpower function after supressing conviction. But it really isn't that much of a stretch to assume that the Sun will always have that fulcrum when he needs it and pointless to consider his capabilities when he is not bearing the fulcrum, since they are basically the same as those of everyone else.

Actually, strictly inferior to everyone else's because without the fulcrum he doesn't have an excellency and his abilities are not actually as high as one would expect. His attributes are very high, however. But not as high as they could be, in a number of cases.
    Last edited by Draken; 2012-07-29 at 06:28 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

23. - Top - End - #233

Okay, I'm looking to make a 5 dot Onslaught Crossbow and thinking about cool powers, kind of like the interesting thematics of the 5 dot artefacts in Oadenols codex only without the mechanical brokenness.

Looking for powers which resonate with Adamant, crystal, futurism, hope, faith, obfuscation, prophecy, fate or incredible intelligence.

Any ideas?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Um... you learn how strong an opponent is upon taking the Aim action while looking through the scope attached to it, as well as how much damage the average shot will deal to the opponent (in percentage terms)? Those sound like good intelligence functions.
    My Steam profile

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

It's a five-dot artifact. Feel free to put as much awesome stuff in it as possible.
    Silly boy. I've played in Industrious's games. They don't murder characters. That means the torture ends.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by industrious View Post
    It's a five-dot artifact. Feel free to put as much awesome stuff in it as possible.
    Nah, while what I said isn't enough, that's what Artifact N/A is for. But we still gotta get it in the range of Celestial Battle Armor (although that's on the higher end of 5, so better to undershoot than overshoot).
    My Steam profile

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Um... you learn how strong an opponent is upon taking the Aim action while looking through the scope attached to it, as well as how much damage the average shot will deal to the opponent (in percentage terms)? Those sound like good intelligence functions.
    First part is good, not so keen on the second half simply because it will make the ST need to do number crunching to give an accurate answer, which can be especially hard to give if the opponent has several defensive charms that he could use in different combinations. It's along the right kind of lines though.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

...the worst bit about 3e coming out:

I've got a character concept I'd love to play in a 'A Land Once Divided Must Unite' style game.

I highly suspect I've got little chance of this before December. On the plus side, she's a Solar, so it's only December, and not 2015 or something like that.
    Last edited by horngeek; 2012-07-30 at 01:36 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, anyone of good ways to use the Ebon Dragon's "Golden Years Tarnished Black" charm tree? I get the concept, but not how it is supposed to be applied.

I mean I know I'm supposed to mess with peoples memories, but…what are the actual applications here?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

"...You love your wife, eh? Do you really? Do you really? What's she ever done that's good?"

"...Your king has ruled wisely and fairly? Tell me more."

"...Your fondest memories are when you were in the Wyld Hunt? Because killing innocents really was so heroic."

[Keep going for a while]

"...I'm sorry. But it seems like you haven't ever had a good time...ever. Your life, has been a complete and utter failure. If I were you...I'd do the brave thing. Tell life exactly what you think of it. Show it who's in charge."

[Next Morning]

"XYZ, a powerful Dragon-Blood/magistrate/king, went crazy yesterday, going on a killing spree starting with his wife and children, and ending with his own life."
    Last edited by industrious; 2012-07-30 at 02:16 AM.

The Maze of Madness

Campaigns:
    Earth-52(abandoned) OOC
    RotSE II III] OOC2