New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Starcraft 2: 8 Medivac drop

Got a ZvP late game strategy to run by you guys: Ultralisk/Mutalisk

I know it lacks the sheer power of Infestor/Broodlord, but is far more mobile. They can't harass you well, since the mutas can deal with small forces on their own, ultras are great against every Protoss ground unit except Immortals (which mutas own hardcore) and there aren't alot of Toss units that are actually good against mutas in a straight fight. The only thing I could think of that would knife through this composition is immortal/pheonix, which requires two seperate groups of upgrades and massive expenditures of gas.

Further, this composition is easily acquired after a Muta/ling mid-game, since you now have a ton of bases and you have a ton of mutas. Toss shouldn't have the gas to get up any reasonable response and the build is good versus Toss's power units like Colossi, Void Rays, and High Templar (muta micro ftw).

As evidence, I submit this game. Guy called me a nerd and told me to get a life after I beat him.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That game was horrible. From the protoss side. He never once pushed out and let a zerg macro for 18 minutes without any problem. You had twice his income for most of that game. You almost could have won with a drone rush if it wasn't for the colossus :P

Archon-Zealot will demolish Ultra-Muta. Zealots are super cost effective vs ultras, and archons are really good too. Archons are also pretty dang effective vs mutas, especially if they keep a couple of high templars with storms around. They then can easily sprinkle in a couple pheonix on the way to mothership for the slightly nerfed but still fairly effective archon toilet.

Just face it, ultralisks will never be useful out of some very select ZvZs :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Since the snipe nerf, I've seen ultras used in TvZ to an ok degree, with infestor support and ling back bone. Of course, anything with infestor support is pretty ok compared to not having any. Map choice is really important with that, though.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Then why do I get more wins with Ultralisks than with Brood Lords in all three matchups?

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Then why do I get more wins with Ultralisks than with Brood Lords in all three matchups?
    They were laughing too hard at seeing the dumb elephants trying to walk around. Only possible explanation :P

I've had far, far too many bad experiences with them to trust em.
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Bugbear in the Playground

That game was horrible. From the protoss side. He never once pushed out and let a zerg macro for 18 minutes without any problem. You had twice his income for most of that game. You almost could have won with a drone rush if it wasn't for the colossus :P

Archon-Zealot will demolish Ultra-Muta. Zealots are super cost effective vs ultras, and archons are really good too. Archons are also pretty dang effective vs mutas, especially if they keep a couple of high templars with storms around. They then can easily sprinkle in a couple pheonix on the way to mothership for the slightly nerfed but still fairly effective archon toilet.

Funny, just had a 2v2 in which my zealot/archon and some of my ally's MMM hit his ultra/roach/ling. I can't remember if he had muta or not. My side got -destroyed-. He walked away with like, 5+ ultras and just proceeded to wreck the rest of our stuff. Strangely, ultras are just plain brutal to deal with for toss if you don't have immortal up. Which, granted, shouldn't be hard to do in normal games, but still.

edit: pretty sure the reason zealot isn't a great choice is that whole 6 armor thing. taking 12 damage out of each zealot means it takes a long time for that ultra to die. Granted, zealots still slow those things down quite well, but they'll soak a lot of punishment before going down.
    Last edited by Thiyr; 2012-05-31 at 01:57 PM.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think it is 2 or 3 full upgraded zealots against a fully upgraded ultra to kill one. So similar or the same mineral cost, none of the gas. Mind you those numbers were a long time ago, and it may be different now but I don't think that that has been changed.

Bomber vs Ostojiy at red bull battlegrounds group C was insane ultra nydus play. Amazing game.

8. - Top - End - #428

I think it is 2 or 3 full upgraded zealots against a fully upgraded ultra to kill one. So similar or the same mineral cost, none of the gas. Mind you those numbers were a long time ago, and it may be different now but I don't think that that has been changed.

Bomber vs Ostojiy at red bull battlegrounds group C was insane ultra nydus play. Amazing game.
    Including shields for the zealots or no? That is a notable gas cost, and even when I'm really good on my upgrades, I generally have a hard time getting more than 1 or 2 shields, so if that's the deciding factor, it's a good one to know.

Also, Who likes long, drawn out games with plenty of mistakes on my team's part, but one money toilet flushing?

I think I lost one zealot when that happened. FLUSHHHHHHH

edit: Okay, yea, Bomber vs Ostojiy g1 was -amazingggggg-. Almost makes me want to get better with terran for more of that sweet, sweet mule action.
    Last edited by Thiyr; 2012-06-01 at 05:15 AM.
    The Complete Warrior rules on losing prerequisites for a PrC apply to all books. This bothers me enough to sig it. If you disagree, please PM me, I'm down with being proven wrong.

Steam: Thiyr (The Great and Powerful Bulbasaur).
    SC2: RianL.377. Hit me up for some SC2 if you're on.

Bulbabulbabulbabulba...SAUR.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I want to say no shields, but can't remember.

Session is tomorrow, meaning Saturday afternoon in the USA.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2012-06-01 at 05:43 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thiyr View Post
    edit: Okay, yea, Bomber vs Ostojiy g1 was -amazingggggg-. Almost makes me want to get better with terran for more of that sweet, sweet mule action.
    I was working on a list called
    99 Uses for a MULE
    I think I stopped at 40ish, at which point many of those uses began to sort of repeat.

My personal favorite is still dropping MULE's onto a Siege Tank line and watching them blow themselves up trying to kill the poor thing. It costs you nothing and makes for an excellent annoyance for your opponent.
    "Why do I hear Siege Tanks firing but I'm not getting a warning?"
    *Look over at the wreckage of a bunch of Siege Tanks, no trace of the MULE is left*
    ...aaaaaaaand THAT is when you send in your bio ball.

Or, time the drop and your troops so that they get the cooldown time of the shot to close the distance with the tank line. It buys them an extra second or two at most, but that's still a second or two for the cost of 1 MULE.

And MULE's are very good at backing up Thor's, giving them just that little extra bit of survival.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

11. - Top - End - #431

OldWizardGuy

You ever get one of those sweet, sweet games where your opponents try to proxy, only to find out you built a hatchery behind their base? I got one of those.

I've found Banshees get less useful as you go from gold into plat, though.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

I am very upset right now. Just checked SCtemple and all my replays are gone. I have none of them still up! I am very sad.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    You ever get one of those sweet, sweet games where your opponents try to proxy, only to find out you built a hatchery behind their base? I got one of those.

I've found Banshees get less useful as you go from gold into plat, though.
    Against which race?

14. - Top - End - #434

OldWizardGuy

Terran and Toss mostly, although they get more limited against Zerg as well.

Most Zerg players won't put up AA until they start getting Mutas, which is just a little while after you've got banshees. Against a B/S/G Zerg, you can probably kill off the Queen, all their drones, and deal significant damage to the main base (Or kill the main to screw with tech) before they can kill the banshees. Going into Plat, they usually have the spores up, which stilldie easy, but then you've got Mutas and an overseer to deal with.

Terran -> SAM. Toss -> Photon.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Sxk728LyE
    Day 9 did a daily on that ever so epic replay from red bull battlegrounds I posted here.

16. - Top - End - #436

Last edited by Pie Guy; 2012-06-08 at 06:17 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Despite being such a weird game it was really boring.

18. - Top - End - #438

Barcraft on Sunday. Woo!
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    Why didn't he use the mothership to cloak his buildings a the end there? Zealots and DT don't detect. And observers can be vortexed, if that desperate a situation is being had.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

20. - Top - End - #440

OldWizardGuy

I got to use a Churchill quote in a Starcraft game today. It made me feel awesome.

Still lost, but even my opponents thought it was epic.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quoting Churchill is one of the easiest ways to be badass. Which one was it?

22. - Top - End - #442

OldWizardGuy

Was "Never, Never, Never give up."
    Right after my ally had quit and they said "Just leave".
    That was my reply, to which both opponents tipped their hat and got back to the game. Went on another 20 minutes.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

One of my uni mates, HighgaiN, has qualified for the WCG UK qualifiers. In his first round he's been matched against.... DeMuslim.. Better luck next year! XD

24. - Top - End - #444

Quote Originally Posted by Talesin View Post
    One of my uni mates, HighgaiN, has qualified for the WCG UK qualifiers. In his first round he's been matched against.... DeMuslim.. Better luck next year! XD
    I find it largely ironic that your post is directly below Acanous quoting Churchill. Namely, suggesting an opposite attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Was "Never, Never, Never give up."
    Right after my ally had quit and they said "Just leave".
    That was my reply, to which both opponents tipped their hat and got back to the game. Went on another 20 minutes.
    Just saying. It made me chuckle a bit.

Good luck to your friend. I never figured for a minute that DRG would beat MarineKingPrime last MLG, but there it was. Or that Leenok would win MLG his first time out. Stranger things have happened.

25. - Top - End - #445

OldWizardGuy

Speaking of, I'm in the Canada Qualifiers next week.

Don't expect to win, not with THAT many Masters+ playing, but i'll give it my best. If anyone could point me to some good strategies to practice, that'd be appreciated.

I'm planning on going Random, so any race works.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, finally looking for a new computer...

I'm looking at the Y570 laptop, since my budget only goes up to around $750, and I'd like to have something mobile.

Here's the specs on the one I'm looking at:

Processor: 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor( 2.2GHz 1333MHz 6MB)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1GB
    Memory: 8.0GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz
    Display: 15.6" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768
    Hard Drive: 500GB 7200 rpm

This seem like it'd run the game? Maybe not at the highest settings...
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

27. - Top - End - #447

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Alright, finally looking for a new computer...

I'm looking at the Y570 laptop, since my budget only goes up to around $750, and I'd like to have something mobile.

Here's the specs on the one I'm looking at:

Processor: 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor( 2.2GHz 1333MHz 6MB)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 1GB
    Memory: 8.0GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333 MHz
    Display: 15.6" HD Glare with integrated camera 1366x768
    Hard Drive: 500GB 7200 rpm

This seem like it'd run the game? Maybe not at the highest settings...
    Processor + RAM + Graphics Card = It should run just fine. Highest Settings? Maybe? Good chance.
    Nice monitor.

@Acanous
    Good Luck
    Last edited by Karoht; 2012-06-26 at 11:07 AM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Played my first game of starcraft in a long time the other day. 4v4 against 4 easy computer ais with 3 of my buddies. I am SO out of practise. Got randomed into zerg and I didn't expand until about 8 minutes at something like 22 food count.... NOOB! :P

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karoht View Post
    Processor + RAM + Graphics Card = It should run just fine. Highest Settings? Maybe? Good chance.
    Nice monitor.

@Acanous
    Good Luck
    Merci. Hopefully, the online special is repeated in two weeks.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Merci. Hopefully, the online special is repeated in two weeks.
    Deal? Computer Parts? Care to share?