New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Disney buys large parts of Fox - Marvel get back X-Men/F4!!

Saw it this morning!! I think Sony/Spiderman is now the only remaining piece of estranged IP, and they are collaborating with Marvel..

Oh, and Disney also owns the Simpsons now. So Homer Simpsons/Deadpool crossover coming.

Now with a link!!
    Last edited by Cikomyr; 2017-12-14 at 08:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Disney buys large parts of Fox - Marvel get back X-Men/F4!!

Is this really a good thing though? I mean.. I doubt they are really going to do anything really risky with the stories

3. - Top - End - #3

...what?

MCU is at its best when they go outside the mold. When they refuse to be stuck with the standardized superhero movie and instead each individual movie adopt a style proper and unique to it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Oh, and Disney also owns the Simpsons now. So Homer Simpsons/Deadpool crossover coming.
    Homer could take Deadpool without breaking a sweat. That wouldn't even be worth of Vs. thread.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    Homer could take Deadpool without breaking a sweat. That wouldn't even be worth of Vs. thread.
    I wasn't hoping a Vs..

More of a Buddy Cop comedy

6. - Top - End - #6

Wait.

I just learned something.

Disney owned 100%-X of Star Wars.
    X being the rights of the original movie.

So now Disney acquired the remaining rights of Star Wars they didnt owned..

...if Disney wanted to publish the Original Trilogy in its original format in HD, they previously had to make a coop deal with Fox. Now..

...oh my god.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

You know... At this point we might as well just give Disney a licence to print money and the copyrights to all of our childhoods.
    Homebrew Stuff:

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    You know... At this point we might as well just give Disney a licence to print money and the copyrights to all of our childhoods.
    I say they declare sovereignty in about 10 years

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

But does this make Anastasia Romanov a Disney Princess?

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    But does this make Anastasia Romanov a Disney Princess?
    I think so.

And also Crysta from The Last Rainforest

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Is nobody else concerned by the terrifying monopoly on popular media these buyouts represent? I know that the conglomerate's output has been pretty good over the last decade or so, but at this rate it's only a matter of time before Time Warner and Comcast succumb.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    Is this really a good thing though? I mean.. I doubt they are really going to do anything really risky with the stories
    The greatest editorial disasters in Marvel Comics were precisely because X-men and Co. belonged to an Enemy Company. I don't mean it's a solution on it's own; but it's certainly one reason to stop all the non-sense and failures on Marvel Comics/Films (Inhumans, to name the most recent).

Also, Fox ruined my muties!
    (sic)

My English non trčs bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Is nobody else concerned by the terrifying monopoly on popular media these buyouts represent? I know that the conglomerate's output has been pretty good over the last decade or so, but at this rate it's only a matter of time before Time Warner and Comcast succumb.
    Depends on how much Disney keeps and how much they choose to divest. They're still trying to arrange a horse-trade with Universal to get the Hulk distribution rights back (and all the Namor rights). They've hinted they'll be selling at least part of Fox's Hulu stake to Time Warner and Comcast to keep the ownership balanced. Fox Searchlight is ripe to be spun off into its own studio. Et cetera.

Plus, the deal isn't final until the FTC and FCC weigh in.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Not so much, but probably because entertainment monopolies are rated the lowest in my scale of Monopoly Alert. I'm not so sure it actually implies any change for art itself (it might as well mean people demanding for non-popular products once they are tired of everything being Dinseyzised, which could be good); and I don't see much of a problem on the business side, since Hollywood as an industry already created its stamp and mold which most massive media should fit by necessity. I know Hollywood is actually a lot of different teams, producers, companies, etc; but in its essence the effects are probably not much different than the ones we have now.

But at least, maybe monopolies have a good side on this. You wouldn't have to pay for 36 different Hulu/Netflix clones, and now you can give your money to one single Evil Company instead of a dozen different Satanist Cults producers
    (sic)

My English non trčs bueno, da? CALL: 0800-BADGRINGO

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

...what?

MCU is at its best when they go outside the mold. When they refuse to be stuck with the standardized superhero movie and instead each individual movie adopt a style proper and unique to it.
    I can see this with Guardians of the Galaxy (aka Star Wars Lite)*, but honestly I find the Avengers-centric movies pretty indistinguishable. Even the ones that aren't supposed to be straight superhero movies feel like the same sort of utterly vanilla flatness to me. Everybody keeps telling me how Winter Soldier was some sort of spy movie for instance, which, ok, sure maybe, but if so it was a pretty bad one. The understanding of geopolitics was below infantile, the misuse of history ignorant to the point of nearly be offensive to me, and the plot twists were so painfully obvious they really shouldn't even count. I'd much rather watch Quantum of Solace.

*Although the total disregard for anything resembling consistent physics or character vulnerability in GotG 2 really started to grate. There's some crazy stuff in Star Wars to be sure, but it's fairly consistent about massive blunt force trauma being a bad thing.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Well, I for one welcome our new mouse overlords!

All hail Emperor and CEO for life, Mickey.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

The MCU's villians are weak, only used as single movie roadblocks with no development. The only exception of Loki.

I would love to see a Malicifant- style villians-eye movie about Doom. I could take or leave the rest of the Four- cast them as single movie roadblocks for doom, even. but build doom up as a proper supervillian who cant be beaten in a 121 minute runtime

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Well, to be fair, it's really tough to make a villain last more than one movie, because what's the point of the first movie if you don't defeat the villain? About the only way to make it work is for the real villain to be behind a bunch of puppet villains, which is exactly what they're doing with Thanos, or to make the movies not stand alone, but to be parts of a single big overarching story.

Will they actually be able to make Thanos into an interesting villain? Hard to say, with the mere glimpses we've gotten of him so far. But maybe.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    "Risky" isn't the right word.

But this will end the cold war of stupidity with the X-Men franchise in general. Effectively, Fox only owned the rights to X-Men and what appeared in X-Men (and Fantastic 4). The problem with this was that Marvel basically told their comics division to just keep recycling old villains and plotlines, because if they created new content then Fox would be able to use it in the movies.

So Fox was effectively stuck with storylines that had already been done in the X-Men comics, and they couldn't use any known villains and whatnot that HADN'T appeared in the comics. Which is why they keep doing the Phoenix crap and they kept going to the past/future with no mention of any other Marvel heroes.

Now that the rights are back with Marvel (through Disney), they can freely use any properties, and they can actually start acknowledging that X-Men exist in the greater Marvel universe, opening up a lot more potential plotlines and villains they could use.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    Not so much, but probably because entertainment monopolies are rated the lowest in my scale of Monopoly Alert. I'm not so sure it actually implies any change for art itself (it might as well mean people demanding for non-popular products once they are tired of everything being Dinseyzised, which could be good); and I don't see much of a problem on the business side, since Hollywood as an industry already created its stamp and mold which most massive media should fit by necessity. I know Hollywood is actually a lot of different teams, producers, companies, etc; but in its essence the effects are probably not much different than the ones we have now.
    If you don’t see how big a change this is you haven’t been paying attention to the lesson of the MCU. Marvel proved that owning all the IP rights to a character across every product, media, and distribution platform, means that one can do great things that had never been envisioned before...except maybe with George Lucas and Star Wars. Disney made unprecedented efforts to market Marvel making it the most valuable and profitable media franchise the world has ever seen.

Disney did all that without what mainstream critiques considered their “A-list” properties: X-men and Fantastic 4 being two out the three (the other being Spider-Man).

What this means is that we can start seeing X-men and mutants in the MCU, as well as the Skrulls, Doctor Doom and a whole bunch of other properties that were associated with X-men and F4. This goes beyond movies and will touch anything carrying the Marvel label.

Quote Originally Posted by joeltion View Post
    But at least, maybe monopolies have a good side on this. You wouldn't have to pay for 36 different Hulu/Netflix clones, and now you can give your money to one single Evil Company instead of a dozen different Satanist Cults producers
    This is one thing I don’t think the merger is going to change. Disney’s plans to launch their own streaming service gives them a lot more money (100%) than putting their properties on Hulu (33%?) does. It might change what Disney puts up on thier own streaming service however.]

All hail the mousey overlord.
    Last edited by Reddish Mage; 2017-12-14 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Well, to be fair, it's really tough to make a villain last more than one movie, because what's the point of the first movie if you don't defeat the villain? About the only way to make it work is for the real villain to be behind a bunch of puppet villains, which is exactly what they're doing with Thanos, or to make the movies not stand alone, but to be parts of a single big overarching story.

Will they actually be able to make Thanos into an interesting villain? Hard to say, with the mere glimpses we've gotten of him so far. But maybe.
    There's a real difference between having a villain being defeated, and having a weak villain. Just taking A New Hope as standalone, the villain is clearly Darth Vader, who is also obviously defeated. He doesn't exactly strike me as a weak or boring villain. The Green Goblin is the villain of the first Sam Raimi Spiderman, he's relatively interesting as such characters go, and also ends up very defeated. For a more recent example, the villains in Wonder Woman might have been cliche as all hell, but at least they were fun to watch and had motivations and did things.

Contrast with the walking plot device of boringness that was the villain Captain America: Civil War. Was the villain in Winter Soldier just the secret Nazi computer program, or was there another one? I can't recall. I can't remember a damn thing about the bad guy in Doctor Strange - I had to work to remember there was a human bad guy. I'm drawing similar blanks for the villains in the first two Iron Man movies (never watched the third, so no idea there).

Marvel movies don't have weak villains, at least from the ones I've watched. They have villain-shaped personality holes that they paper over with more smarmy hero one-liners.

(I will grant an exception for Spiderman: Homecoming though. It's almost like if you put the antagonist on screen and let them interact with people and do things they're more interesting!)
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

/raises hand

But I bet we are the minority.

Most don't understand how less competition is a bad thing.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    There's a real difference between having a villain being defeated, and having a weak villain. Just taking A New Hope as standalone, the villain is clearly Darth Vader, who is also obviously defeated. He doesn't exactly strike me as a weak or boring villain. The Green Goblin is the villain of the first Sam Raimi Spiderman, he's relatively interesting as such characters go, and also ends up very defeated. For a more recent example, the villains in Wonder Woman might have been cliche as all hell, but at least they were fun to watch and had motivations and did things.

Contrast with the walking plot device of boringness that was the villain Captain America: Civil War. Was the villain in Winter Soldier just the secret Nazi computer program, or was there another one? I can't recall. I can't remember a damn thing about the bad guy in Doctor Strange - I had to work to remember there was a human bad guy. I'm drawing similar blanks for the villains in the first two Iron Man movies (never watched the third, so no idea there).

Marvel movies don't have weak villains, at least from the ones I've watched. They have villain-shaped personality holes that they paper over with more smarmy hero one-liners.

(I will grant an exception for Spiderman: Homecoming though. It's almost like if you put the antagonist on screen and let them interact with people and do things they're more interesting!)
    The Villain in Winter Soldier was Hydra. Just, all of it. An organization is going to be inherently less personable than an individual, but its also a far more plausible threat. And Doctor Strange's main antagonist is... himself. The villain in that movie is kind of arbitrary, because the movie is about Strange overcoming his own flaws and weaknesses.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm just hoping that this stops Marvel from constantly kicking X-men fans in the teeth and attempting to force the Inhumans down our throats.
    Homebrew Stuff:

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The Villain in Winter Soldier was Hydra. Just, all of it. An organization is going to be inherently less personable than an individual, but its also a far more plausible threat. And Doctor Strange's main antagonist is... himself. The villain in that movie is kind of arbitrary, because the movie is about Strange overcoming his own flaws and weaknesses.
    The focus-villains of Winter Soldier were...

- Pierce. Who was awesome.
    - Ya know, the Winter Soldier

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The focus-villains of Winter Soldier were...

- Pierce. Who was awesome.
    - Ya know, the Winter Soldier
    Given his explicit lack of agency in that movie, calling him the villain of the piece is kind of pushing the meaning of the term. He's a weapon more than a villain.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    If you don’t see how big a change this is you haven’t been paying attention to the lesson of the MCU. Marvel proved that owning all the IP rights to a character across every product, media, and distribution platform, means that one can do great things that had never been envisioned before...except maybe with George Lucas and Star Wars. Disney made unprecedented efforts to market Marvel making it the most valuable and profitable media franchise the world has ever seen.

Disney did all that without what mainstream critiques considered their “A-list” properties: X-men and Fantastic 4 being two out the three (the other being Spider-Man).

What this means is that we can start seeing X-men and mutants in the MCU, as well as the Skrulls, Doctor Doom and a whole bunch of other properties that were associated with X-men and F4. This goes beyond movies and will touch anything carrying the Marvel label.
    In a world where IP rights are practically forever, the only way to un-silo everybody's little IP fiefdom is to grab all the IP. Welcome to the Disney legendarium. It's a situation they created themselves, and boy are they cashing in on it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    I'm just hoping that this stops Marvel from constantly kicking X-men fans in the teeth and attempting to force the Inhumans down our throats.
    Those are two related but distinct problems.

a Marvel exec with a great deal of control 1: Wanted to Devalue the X-Men IP because the film rights belonged to Fox and 2: Is also a massive Inhuman Fanboy.

Trying to make the Inhumans come out as morally equal to or superior to the X-Man in their conflicts when they weren't* and making "Nuhumans" a replacement for mutants are basically the only place where the two things intersect.

But if this will stop people In-Universe from claiming that Main TImeline Cyclops is basically Hitler for the crime of... Telling people that the Terrigen was dangerous to mutants and taking actions to stop it, then being murdered in cold blood by Black Bolt for doing so(And it wasn't even realy Cyclops, it was Emma Frost after Cyclops died to the mists.)

*The Inhumans were asses in Civil War II, and the writing regarding the Mutant/Inhuman conflict was comparable to One More Day's The only good thing to have come from this Terrigin mist storyline is that they finally stopped pretending that Emma Frost wasn't evil.

Inhuman shilling will still happen. They just might not be an attempt to replace Mutants or the X-Men anymore.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2017-12-14 at 06:07 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    /raises hand

But I bet we are the minority.

Most don't understand how less competition is a bad thing.
    I am also eyeing this with some concern. It's probably good for the X-Men and Doctor Doom, yes, but I am also a little wary - to say the least - about one company owning so much stuff; largely because I don't trust any single one of them not to abuse it. (And if not now, maybe ten-twenty years down the line; all it might take some some frack-head taking over at Disney with an axe to grind, a la the sort of chap in charge of Marvel this last decade or so before it all goes pear-shaped.)

We shall see.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Given his explicit lack of agency in that movie, calling him the villain of the piece is kind of pushing the meaning of the term. He's a weapon more than a villain.
    No, he is a villain. His regaining his agency in the first place is one of the movie's main subtheme.

The Winter Soldier is the biggest mover and shaker on the Villain's side in Cap2. He has a lot of screen time, solid presence.

He is about on par with the Terminator in term of agency; both are killing machines sent by others to execute the overall evil plot.