New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Extra points to you if you do this contest using Ozodrin with that idea

-X
    We'll see. I'm actually trying to do a hybrid ozodrin/xenotheurge/spellcasting class. The standard belief is that triple PrCs are way too weak and too mechanically complicated. We'll see if I can get this to work.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

The Raysailor of Sol Invictus is done. Taken out infusion requirements because they're not necessary and just make the overall thing too strong, which is not something I want. I've thought of adding another level 10 ability and take out the caster level increase there, but then you're barred from level 9 spells, which is not something most people look forward to. I am thinking of perhaps adding one extra ability to each of the colors of Use Light though, something sight-related or such and basing it off something from Exalted (since each of the five maidens have an associated color, the Ebon Dragon could be Black, Sol/Luna could be White and make up something for the rest, maybe Gaia and Autochthon?).

Anyone want to PEACH or trade PEACHes?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-08-28 at 05:18 PM.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Currently working on an assassin-type PrC known as the Ikaruga (yes, named for the game, but I found a more thematic reason for the name.) Similar to its namesake, Ikaruga can switch between two polarities, gaining a slew of different abilities, strengths, and weaknesses as they fill themselves with, or purge themselves of light.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Just beware it doesn't end up too close to the Shadow Sun Ninja.
    YouTube channel:

5. - Top - End - #125

No worries in that regard. This is a pretty different take.

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I updated my entry slightly. Still need to get class skills and a few abilities done (as well as most of the fluff). Anyway, Amechra, I'm borrowing your darklight degree of darkness if you don't mind. If you would prefer I don't do so, I'll replace it with something different. Suggestion or advice is welcome. On some areas I feel wording turned out poorly.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, updated my class again. Mostly done, only ability incomplete is the features of light, which I'm at a loss on figuring out effects for. I'm thinking maybe allowing some kind of boost based on wispfire damage, but not sure about what else, or even what such a boost would be. Still need to complete the fluff on the end.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

You can use Darklight if you want; heck, a Devourer of Light crossclassed with a ?Lurker in Light? (was that the name?) would be so much fun...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Devourer of Light
    Spoiler
    Show

Concept: Very interesting, very interesting indeed. Unfortunately, the idea of consuming shadow until you reflect a "light shadow" is kind of ridiculous, but I love the idea of mirroring shadow and light.

Prereqs: Quite simple. May I ask the reasoning for the Hide ranks? I cannot quite get where that is coming from. Also, you should probably include a link to the Ozodrin class, just to be easiest for the reader, so they don't have to go search it out.

There really isn't a "Light skill. I'll probably change it to something else."

Skills: Yeah, I don't think this needs mentioning. Good idea; copy and paste the Ozodrin skill list and add or remove skills as necessary. That is how I usually do it (my current entry is a special case, since there are too many entry points for it to really work).

Aura of Light Consumption: I have to say that, while I like the third person text in general, it is kind of irksome when you switch from fluff to mechanics, because my mind is just screaming "classes are metagame constructs" and "how does this character know about the game mechanics of his/her universe?!" But on to the actual ability.

The character is like Deadpool. You know, so insane he breaks the 4th wall?

I love the idea of Darklight. Can I steal that for Taste the Rainbow? That is exactly what I was thinking of when I made the ability.

Yes, you may. It would make more sense than the Darkness spell (which only creates shadowy illumination.)

Changed Essence: Blah-blah-blah, Ozodrin ability continuation, coolio.

Devour Light: What if there are no other sources of light within 100 feet? What if you aren't using your abilities? For the eighth level bonus, can you choose not to have certain light sources excluded from this effect?

If there aren't sources of light, this doesn't work. If you aren't using the rest of your abilities, this still works; you can be in your worldly form, and laugh as you effectively devour someone with shadows. And yes, you may choose to exclude no light sources.

Essentially, this works as a sort of "Oh crap, he just put out the torches, didn't he?" thing, especially since it heals you afterwards.

Excrete Light: Awesome fluff.

Fade Into Light: Interesting. Not really getting the Hide in Plain Sight Bit, but I guess the other part is cool.

Hide in Plain Sight allows this class to hide in the light emitted by their own bodies. Otherwise, the Hide skill would be useless for them.

Lurker in My Own Darkness: This is also quite interesting. I like the addition of both the light and dark subtypes.

Fluff: I would advise removing the spaces in between the paragraphs. It would be much easier to read that way. Otherwise, quite interesting. Would you listen if I advised you that I would like the fluff more if you played up the mirroring of light and darkness? Probably not, but what the hey. In the fluff itself, it isn't very apparent that the character has such dualistic themes (OH GOD I SOUND PRETENTIOUS *slaps own face*), and although that would be kind of strangely self referential, it could be an important detail for first time potential players of the class.

I'll take that under advisement.
    Answers in red, sorry for the double post.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

PEACH for Ray Sailor of Sol Invictus!
    Spoiler
    Show

I get the feeling that you have played Exalted... whatevs.

Amusingly, the only Knowledge skill a sorcerer has in-class is arcana. That means it requires at least a 14 int (or 12 int and human) to qualify for the class, and that doesn't leave much room for Concentration which is a pretty important skill. Favored Souls have the same problem of lack of knowledge skills in class. I wonder if the Craft(Sculpting) requirement is necessary... we will see. Beguilers seem to have the best time of it as they are Int focused so they can afford the skill points for this. There could be entry after 5th level except spontaneous casters are a level behind, so this class is entry after 6th level. Why is it only open to spontaneous casters? We shall see.

4+ skills helps, but the skill list seems much broader than the expected entries. For example, why is Knowledge(Dungeoneering) or Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) or Knowledge(Architecture and Engineering) or, most powerfully, UMD on the class list?

1/2 BAB and good will save is very Sorcerer. 8/10 casting means there should be some useful features in here. I personally think that full casting PrCs are poorly designed, so props for this.

Net proficiency! Random, but whatever.

Class feature time! Control Light should come after Guiding Lantern, as it references Guiding Lantern. A first level power at 7+ level is... let's see what else the class gets.

Guiding Lantern seems like a theme which will be developed. It would be nice if we were a bit clearer on the reduction of miss chance, I think you mean "If a creature of the same alignment as the god of the Raysailor attacks a creature which is between the first creature and the Guiding Lantern, miss chance due to concealment reduced by one step." It's kind of awkward to phrase that.

Lighten Up is an Int based ability in a class that requires a Cha or Wis/Cha based caster to enter... or a beguiler I suppose if they get enough [Light] spells. It's useful for helping with encumbrance and the higher level version will be useful for loading and unloading cargo. Besides the pun it doesn't seem particularly light themed though.

Advanced Learning is useful... for beguilers/warmages/etc. Adding things to a spell list isn't all that helpful for sorcerers or favored souls, as they are restricted by spells known. Consider adding one spell known each time Advanced Learning adds spells to a spell list.

Take Light seems like it silly, as lighting a lantern is generally pretty trivial, until you get to the part where it replenishes uses of Use Light. This makes Use Light recover somewhat between encounters, though the per day limit on Take Light limits this recovery.

Solar Sails: is the infusion done via Lighten Up, or the casting of the spells with [Light] or [Air] descriptors? If it starts failing within 8 hours, when does it finish failing?

Use Light: this seems to be the meat of the class. It seems like a character will generally want to stay at 0 Blackness, in order to be able to use White Light, and if Black Light is needed one can gain a point of Blackness via a different color. Is maximum Blackness equal to class level? It seems likely but it is not clearly stated.
    You can reduce the amount of Blackness you have by 1 each day that you use all colors except White and Black.
    should probably read "each day that you use any color except White and Black", unless you want Raysailors to be unable to reduce Blackness until class level 9.
    Red Light: already, these are not spell-like abilities despite being described as such earlier. That's fine, but please change the first sentence of Use Light. Creative use could be handy, but people generally have enhancement bonuses at these levels. Could be useful for buffing minions/summons/etc. Destructive doesn't do very much damage... 10d6 at level 16 is kind of weak. The reverse is more potent, which seems to be your intent. The Regain action should make it clear that you still take the elemental damage, which seems to be your intent.
    Orange: Creative is minor untyped bonus to skills, most of which are pretty easy by character level 10. Destructive doesn't do very much damage, but the reverse is interesting. Is the acid damage conditional on being blinded? That is how it is written now, which seems strange.
    Yellow: Creative is useful. Destructive is yet another blast. Reverse is ok, Regain is pretty standard by now.
    Green: Creative is handy. Destructive... it's not another blast! Huzzah! How many attacks does the hand get? Just one, or iteratives based on BAB? For the Reverse, please specify how long the sickness lasts (probably 1d4 rounds, if I read you right). This Regain is hard to do, and maybe not worth attempting unless you have a custom item of Spellcraft or something. Still, there is Take Light to recharge this.
    Blue: Creative: specify a caster level for Dispel Magic. Destructive is interesting, it would be more worthwhile if it affected multiple targets. There is no Reverse here... maybe giving you control over effects you dispelled would be interesting. The Regain is strange here, as these characters so far have not needed Diplomacy or Perform(Oratory). What is the DC on a Perform(Oratory) check to inspire? Performances are routine, enjoyable, great, memorable, or extraordinary.
    Indigo: Creative is unique in not expending the light. On the other hand, it's a niche 2nd level spell at character level ~15. Not a concern for balance reasons... if anything too weak. The Destructive use is stylish, but Confusion is a 4th level spell and hits an area instead of just a single target. The reverse does at most 3d6 Wis damage, which is kind of scary but gaining Blackness is kind of a big deal too. Regain again keys off of a skill that the character is not certain to have.
    Violet: Creative is useful in towns or against mooks or whatever. A gaze attack at level ~15 is fine, especially one that only charms. Destructive is cool: forced Dim Door and possible Banishment. The Reverse is too weak: it would be balanced just to bestow a negative level without any need for grapples or what have you. How likely are you to want to bestow a negative level on someone willing to kiss you? In addition, the suggestion is kind of silly as only the first kiss seems to give a negative level. I see what you're trying to do, but it won't work well in practice. How long does the negative level last?Regain is... commoner with 1 HD is DC 27 spellcraft check. Level 15 means 18 ranks in spellcraft, plus int mod, plus a few other factors could be added. It's a gamble worth taking on full ranks alone though. Again, how long does the negative level last?
    White: Creative would be fine balance-wise if the aura lasted until you regained some other colors, Fast Healing and minor bonus damage is not a lot to have up all day, especially if it ties up class features. Destructive: how do spell effects interact with the barrier? For example, it seems that a fireball would go right through it, but a Hold Person could not be targeted through the opaque barrier. Am I right?
    Black: Creative is kind of useful, but the HD limit is painful. I'm too lazy to look up how good Bone Creature or Corpse Creature are, but it's possible the limit could be raised to CL or even Character Level with no ill effects. Destructive is kind of unimpressive for a capstone, honestly.

Crew of Light: Here is where Craft(sculpting) comes in. One crew member isn't really enough to crew a ship, and the constructs seem like in general they will be used more as disposable semi-permanent minions like Planar Bound things or animal companions.

Playing a Raysailor needs to be written.

Raysailors in the world... Ciddarttha Naút will run out of infusion ability pretty soon. The others show the variety available to the class, which is nice.

There's no explanation for why this is only open to spontaneous casters, or why it is a caster PrC at all. There doesn't seem to be a need for a Raysailor to worship a god with the Sun domain... they don't seem to draw power from a god or anything like that. Use Light is the cornerstone of the class but the powers range from situational to kind of useless. I would drop the Craft and Knowledge requirements to allow 2+ skill point characters access, and maybe raise Profession(Sailor) requirements to 8 ranks. Use Light... take a look at what level-appropriate spells can do. Most things are too weak for their character level. It looks like you took several interesting ideas and combined them... which is a good start. Now comes the harder part of merging them together and making the power somewhat higher. Good luck!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Answers in red, sorry for the double post.
    Well, all of my questions were covered. *shrug*
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

ErrantX, your signature still links to the last contest, not the current one...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Answers are in red:

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    PEACH for Ray Sailor of Sol Invictus!
    Spoiler
    Show

I get the feeling that you have played Exalted... whatevs.

I actually only stole the name, though admittably I've thought of adding more utility abilities to Use Light inspired by Exalted.

Amusingly, the only Knowledge skill a sorcerer has in-class is arcana. That means it requires at least a 14 int (or 12 int and human) to qualify for the class, and that doesn't leave much room for Concentration which is a pretty important skill. Favored Souls have the same problem of lack of knowledge skills in class. I wonder if the Craft(Sculpting) requirement is necessary... we will see. Beguilers seem to have the best time of it as they are Int focused so they can afford the skill points for this. There could be entry after 5th level except spontaneous casters are a level behind, so this class is entry after 6th level. Why is it only open to spontaneous casters? We shall see.

Hmmm, point. It's partly why I kept it at only 4 ranks, but I could lower Craft (sculpting) to 4 ranks. With 4 skill points/level you could then qualify and still keep up Concentration as well. Luckily as far as I know all casters get Craft and Profession as class skills. I left it only to spontaneous casters both because I think they can use the extra and because I hate prepared casters.

4+ skills helps, but the skill list seems much broader than the expected entries. For example, why is Knowledge(Dungeoneering) or Knowledge(Nobility and Royalty) or Knowledge(Architecture and Engineering) or, most powerfully, UMD on the class list?

UMD can be taken off, it was mostly due to originally the class requiring Artificer levels. All the Knowledges is prettymuch just because not enough classes get them and more knowledge means more... uh... "enlightenment"?

1/2 BAB and good will save is very Sorcerer. 8/10 casting means there should be some useful features in here. I personally think that full casting PrCs are poorly designed, so props for this.

Thanks.

Net proficiency! Random, but whatever.

Net what you want, 'cause a sailor is free.

Class feature time! Control Light should come after Guiding Lantern, as it references Guiding Lantern. A first level power at 7+ level is... let's see what else the class gets.

I'm used to doing things alphabetically, but thanks for the advice, will implement.

Guiding Lantern seems like a theme which will be developed. It would be nice if we were a bit clearer on the reduction of miss chance, I think you mean "If a creature of the same alignment as the god of the Raysailor attacks a creature which is between the first creature and the Guiding Lantern, miss chance due to concealment reduced by one step." It's kind of awkward to phrase that.

That's what I meant yeah. Will change the wording so.

Lighten Up is an Int based ability in a class that requires a Cha or Wis/Cha based caster to enter... or a beguiler I suppose if they get enough [Light] spells. It's useful for helping with encumbrance and the higher level version will be useful for loading and unloading cargo. Besides the pun it doesn't seem particularly light themed though.

Making the object shed light is not light-themed?

Advanced Learning is useful... for beguilers/warmages/etc. Adding things to a spell list isn't all that helpful for sorcerers or favored souls, as they are restricted by spells known. Consider adding one spell known each time Advanced Learning adds spells to a spell list.

Hmm, seems like a good idea. Thanks.

Take Light seems like it silly, as lighting a lantern is generally pretty trivial, until you get to the part where it replenishes uses of Use Light. This makes Use Light recover somewhat between encounters, though the per day limit on Take Light limits this recovery.

Mhmm, exactly.

Solar Sails: is the infusion done via Lighten Up, or the casting of the spells with [Light] or [Air] descriptors? If it starts failing within 8 hours, when does it finish failing?

Solar sails function only on ships infused via Lighten Up, but require castings of [Light] or [Air] spells to keep functioning. I meant for it to prettymuch be like "8 hours up? Okay, the ship starts falling."

Use Light: this seems to be the meat of the class. It seems like a character will generally want to stay at 0 Blackness, in order to be able to use White Light, and if Black Light is needed one can gain a point of Blackness via a different color. Is maximum Blackness equal to class level? It seems likely but it is not clearly stated. should probably read "each day that you use any color except White and Black", unless you want Raysailors to be unable to reduce Blackness until class level 9.

Huh, I guess I missed including maximum Blackness. It is indeed class level. And you're right, I'll change it to read "each day that you use all colors you know except White and Black".

Red Light: already, these are not spell-like abilities despite being described as such earlier. That's fine, but please change the first sentence of Use Light. Creative use could be handy, but people generally have enhancement bonuses at these levels. Could be useful for buffing minions/summons/etc. Destructive doesn't do very much damage... 10d6 at level 16 is kind of weak. The reverse is more potent, which seems to be your intent. The Regain action should make it clear that you still take the elemental damage, which seems to be your intent.

The reverses are intentionally more potent due to them giving you Blackness in return. I don't know what you mean by that it "should make it clear that you still take the elemental damage", because it never says you can prevent it. It only works if you take at least 10 points of fire damage, so if you are immune to fire, you cannot regain it in this manner (hence why there is Take Light).

I've also added spell-slot consumptions to all the Use Lights on their Destructive and Reverse functions.

Orange: Creative is minor untyped bonus to skills, most of which are pretty easy by character level 10. Destructive doesn't do very much damage, but the reverse is interesting. Is the acid damage conditional on being blinded? That is how it is written now, which seems strange.

Doubled the bonus to keep it relevant. The ongoing acid damage per round is conditional on being blinded, but the initial acid damage is not. Basically its fluff-wise meant to be like "tiny explosions of force remain behind, materializing acidic matter as the explosions burst in your face with blinding light and the acid sticks on your face". Or something like that.

Yellow: Creative is useful. Destructive is yet another blast. Reverse is ok, Regain is pretty standard by now.

Green: Creative is handy. Destructive... it's not another blast! Huzzah! How many attacks does the hand get? Just one, or iteratives based on BAB? For the Reverse, please specify how long the sickness lasts (probably 1d4 rounds, if I read you right). This Regain is hard to do, and maybe not worth attempting unless you have a custom item of Spellcraft or something. Still, there is Take Light to recharge this.

It's meant to get iteratives as normal for BAB, so yes.

Blue: Creative: specify a caster level for Dispel Magic. Destructive is interesting, it would be more worthwhile if it affected multiple targets. There is no Reverse here... maybe giving you control over effects you dispelled would be interesting. The Regain is strange here, as these characters so far have not needed Diplomacy or Perform(Oratory). What is the DC on a Perform(Oratory) check to inspire? Performances are routine, enjoyable, great, memorable, or extraordinary.

Specified caster level. Made Destructive affect up to 2 targets. Added Reverse. I dunno what the DC on a Perform (oratory) check for that is, but IIRC there are other PrCs or classes that can do that. Lowered the requirement, increased Spellcraft DC.

Indigo: Creative is unique in not expending the light. On the other hand, it's a niche 2nd level spell at character level ~15. Not a concern for balance reasons... if anything too weak. The Destructive use is stylish, but Confusion is a 4th level spell and hits an area instead of just a single target. The reverse does at most 3d6 Wis damage, which is kind of scary but gaining Blackness is kind of a big deal too. Regain again keys off of a skill that the character is not certain to have.

Lowered the requirement, increased Spellcraft DC. Made Creative at-will. Increased target amount of Destructive.

Violet: Creative is useful in towns or against mooks or whatever. A gaze attack at level ~15 is fine, especially one that only charms. Destructive is cool: forced Dim Door and possible Banishment. The Reverse is too weak: it would be balanced just to bestow a negative level without any need for grapples or what have you. How likely are you to want to bestow a negative level on someone willing to kiss you? In addition, the suggestion is kind of silly as only the first kiss seems to give a negative level. I see what you're trying to do, but it won't work well in practice. How long does the negative level last?Regain is... commoner with 1 HD is DC 27 spellcraft check. Level 15 means 18 ranks in spellcraft, plus int mod, plus a few other factors could be added. It's a gamble worth taking on full ranks alone though. Again, how long does the negative level last?

Negative levels last as long as normal: one day. Added that the second kiss also bestows a negative level.

White: Creative would be fine balance-wise if the aura lasted until you regained some other colors, Fast Healing and minor bonus damage is not a lot to have up all day, especially if it ties up class features. Destructive: how do spell effects interact with the barrier? For example, it seems that a fireball would go right through it, but a Hold Person could not be targeted through the opaque barrier. Am I right?

It was meant to more closely resemble the Violet part of a Prismatic Wall, so it would stop all magical effects. Editing in.

Black: Creative is kind of useful, but the HD limit is painful. I'm too lazy to look up how good Bone Creature or Corpse Creature are, but it's possible the limit could be raised to CL or even Character Level with no ill effects. Destructive is kind of unimpressive for a capstone, honestly.

Bone and Corpse creatures keep their class features and are intelligent.

Crew of Light: Here is where Craft(sculpting) comes in. One crew member isn't really enough to crew a ship, and the constructs seem like in general they will be used more as disposable semi-permanent minions like Planar Bound things or animal companions.

Increased amount of constructs to start with 4, since you need 5 minimum for most of the smaller big ships (as in, not a rowboat, but neither a warship).

Playing a Raysailor needs to be written.

Point. I rushed to get the mechanics done and forgot about that part, as school has started for me again. ^^;

Raysailors in the world... Ciddarttha Naút will run out of infusion ability pretty soon. The others show the variety available to the class, which is nice.

The region she travels through is meant to have very few villages far-off from one another. Plus, I plan on statting her up so you can see how many Lighten Up uses she has.

There's no explanation for why this is only open to spontaneous casters, or why it is a caster PrC at all. There doesn't seem to be a need for a Raysailor to worship a god with the Sun domain... they don't seem to draw power from a god or anything like that. Use Light is the cornerstone of the class but the powers range from situational to kind of useless. I would drop the Craft and Knowledge requirements to allow 2+ skill point characters access, and maybe raise Profession(Sailor) requirements to 8 ranks. Use Light... take a look at what level-appropriate spells can do. Most things are too weak for their character level. It looks like you took several interesting ideas and combined them... which is a good start. Now comes the harder part of merging them together and making the power somewhat higher. Good luck!

The god is for fluff reasons solely, really. I think I might tweak Use Light a little so that you can sacrifice a spell slot to increase the power. of the abilities. I'll consider your further suggestions for prerequisite adjustments.
    Thanks for the PEACH! I'll be sure to return the favour when I have the time.
    YouTube channel:

14. - Top - End - #134

Woo! Version 1.2 of the Ikaruga is up and raring to go. Still needs some delicious flavor, but the mechanics are up, at least.

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Do entries have to be 10-level classes? I'm not having any luck coming up with a good 10-level class thats actually a prestige class as opposed to really a brand-new mechanic for a base class. But a 5-level class, that I might be able to do.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage View Post
    Do entries have to be 10-level classes? I'm not having any luck coming up with a good 10-level class thats actually a prestige class as opposed to really a brand-new mechanic for a base class. But a 5-level class, that I might be able to do.
    I'm not opposed. Go for it.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Just thought I'd bump this and see if anyone has any suggestions for the features of light ability the light of lurking shadows grants. Can't really think of much except the possibility of allowing them to attack persistent affects of spells with the dark descriptor (and if successful destroy them, as I vaguely recall light spells can do). Perhaps also spells of the shadow subschool.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is everyone making a "sneaky light" variant? the concept used to be something awkward and interesting but seriously it has been done to death and is hardly of any interest any more...

Anyways...is a "Blacklight Deciple" a valid entry, as it manipulate both light and shadow? (and requires to keep a balance of the two, or face serious consequences...)

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Why is everyone making a "sneaky light" variant? the concept used to be something awkward and interesting but seriously it has been done to death and is hardly of any interest any more...
    Please explain how the Raysailors of Sol Invictus are "sneaky light".

For if they seems so, I'd like to remedy this at once.
    YouTube channel:

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyways...is a "Blacklight Deciple" a valid entry, as it manipulate both light and shadow? (and requires to keep a balance of the two, or face serious consequences...)
    I'm fine with the idea boomwolf, go for it.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Please explain how the Raysailors of Sol Invictus are "sneaky light".

For if they seems so, I'd like to remedy this at once.
    "Everyone" does not necessarily means "everyone" its can be used figure of speech saying "too many of the people present", as it is in this case...

And I didn't look at you ray-pirates (:P) long enough to tell if they got a "sneaky light" factor in them...

EDIT: actually I think I might do another class...stuck with two ideas to choose from...
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2011-09-05 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Not all. My class at least is extremely straightforward.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm fine with the idea boomwolf, go for it.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, mine is less "Stealthy Light", and more "Become blind while I tear your face off with my tentacles MADE OF LIGHT!"

25. - Top - End - #145

Not even sure what "sneaky light" is supposed to mean. And 2-3 (depending on how you're defining "sneaky light", really I'm counting all the ones that aren't straightforward light) out of 9 is far from "everyone" anyway.

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd also note that if you mean sneaky light as being sneaky with the use of light, the light of lurking shadows doesn't really fit there either, as it is still a glowing ball of light intentionally trying to get peoples attention and draw them toward it (even if it plans to attack them with the shadows as they get close). Then again, it you consider using light as a distraction from the real threat, I suppose the wisp fire guide itself qualifies, making it fairly likely that the PRC would as well.

Edit: Added some abilities for features of light. May need some reworking or help with wording.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2011-09-05 at 03:09 PM.
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you mean "sneaky light" as in "using light as a means of Illusion"? If so, maybe because using light like that is the literal definition of what an Illusion is. Like, Illusions, even the lowest level, all involve changing or supplying light waves to a target/targets. That is all that it means. Thus, light and Illusions are really closely tied together. However, I would be hard pressed to say that any of the classes in this months contest are really based on being "sneaky" besides the Ikaruga, which also focuses on darkness (and might I say, after reading the class, looks absolutely wonderful; I really want to play one).

The Rainbow Thaumaturgist, the only other class that has even some "sneaky" abilities, is mainly based on the use of Prismatic spells and effects, and the illusions are not what the class is based on at all. In fact, besides the bonus to Caster level from Chromatic Strength and the Perception Filter class feature, there are no other mentions of Illusion at all in the class (you could argue that the second portion of the Master of Variegation is "sneaky" but would have to contend with the fact that the ability also allows the caster to change the visual effects of the spells as well, giving them the dual option).

None of the other classes really focus on stealth, on the whole, in a way that would make them subject to the criticism.

Ikaruga: The first paragraph of Polarity for the darkness section is talking about light polarity, rather than dark. You should probably change that.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

28. - Top - End - #148

Ikaruga: The first paragraph of Polarity for the darkness section is talking about light polarity, rather than dark. You should probably change that.
    Huh. Thanks for catching that. I feel silly.

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you mean "sneaky light" as in "using light as a means of Illusion"? If so, maybe because using light like that is the literal definition of what an Illusion is. Like, Illusions, even the lowest level, all involve changing or supplying light waves to a target/targets. That is all that it means. Thus, light and Illusions are really closely tied together.
    *snip*
    I'd like to point out that there are other ways of producing Illusions, if what you mean is "something that appears real but isn't". You could alter the feedback that the brain is receiving, for example.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Wait, what?!

Illusions are not real. In no way or form. Spells that manipulate light create energy, and therefore are Evocations.