New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] The Hunting Grounds

Sea

Gosh darnit, I intended to say eight metres. Ah well, too late now. My mistake; I made it, and now I won't change it now.

The crab swims ponderously forward, and when it is close enough it tries to smash the oars on one side of the ship, hampering the vessel's movement as it gets closer and preventing the ship from escaping.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Wilderness]

Michicora almost returns the smile, she looks vaguely amused at least which is a lot for her. "I'll do my part if you do yours. We should pick an easy one though since it would be our first." She suggests. It was hardly the first time she had gone together with another hunter. You needed to be more then one often after all and you couldn't be too picky about the allies either. Not that Trisha seemed to be that bad really. It might be a bit awkward working with another woman though, but she needed more experience with it so she didn't mind.
    Wilderness

The woman nods. An easy one would be a good choice since that would also allow them to learn about each other and allow themselves time to grow accustomed to working together. The woman eats in silence before taking a piece of rabbit fat to rub over her blade, oiling it. "I suppose this is when we play 20 Questions and learn about each other. Either that, or we can rest and continue when we're both ready and talk in a less hostile place. I don't need sleep, so I can at least keep watch."

3. - Top - End - #813
    Bugbear in the Playground

Riverbanks

Well, a little bit. The mechanism doesn't work quite as well when its wet, but it still works. Now that's Gordon's checked his grapple gun, he looks for a tree that's close to head of the troll, and tries to use the grapple gun to get closer.

4. - Top - End - #814

[Wilderness]

"I technically don't need sleep either. Just a few hours of meditation." She replies and then forces herself to look at Trisha as she adds. "So what are you?" She was curious about this woman after all.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    Forest Lake

The sliver does pursue, sensing a weakness in its meal after the two wounds it inflicted. However, Mimi can see that its jaw is hanging loose. Apparently her wrenching removal of the spear struck a nerve.

It keeps pace with her flight, surprisingly quick with its movements even after a double dose of that poison. If she were to put on some more speed though, she'd swiftly outpace it.
    Forest Lake

As Mimi flies, she sprinkles pixie dust in her wake. It should cause the sliver to become enraged and more eager to pursue relentlessly. Okay, now just to keep it a decent distance away from her and find a good spot...

There! Mimi sees a bit of tall undergrowth with a tree right behind it. She takes one look back at the sliver before disappearing through it. On the other side she stops and braces her spear against the trunk. With any lucks she's placed it at about head/throat height as intended. She wants the sliver to ram right into the pointy spear, which she strengthens with some pixie dust, and to get off to the side just enough to avoid getting squished.

6. - Top - End - #816

[Desert]

Enola could block some of it through a combined effort of her electrical energies and the fact that there's an arm there. She'd rather get her arm frozen than her face.

She grits her teeth as she tries to keep moving. This dragon obviously didn't like her. She takes small satisfaction from the fact that she pissed off a dragon this much. Something to brag about when she gets back home.

Assuming she makes it out of here, of course.

The dragon may find it a little harder to keep Enola pinned down than most things he's attacked. But, given his size advantage and obvious persistence, Enola finds her feet stuck to the ground after a while. She makes a quick decision and surrounds herself in electrical energy as he goes to freeze her completely, taking a position with her good arm over her head. If her plan works, there'll be a small gap between the ice and herself. Hopefully, that'll get the dragon off her case for a few moments as she plans something.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilderness

Trisha gives a small sigh. She had known it was coming eventually, but she still hated trying to explain it. People think that just because she's not technically living meant she was evil. And then there was the whole "Champion of Hate" tossed onto it...

It makes it not very fun to explain.

"Due to my servitude, I guess you'd say I'm not actually alive. Not dead or undead or living, but something in between it all. I'm kept alive by my Faith and Duty. Closest description I can come up with would be something akin to being an Avatar of Hate or a Living Revenant. "
    She tries to explain. She didn't know the specifics of it herself, as Hate doesn't explain things. All she knew was that she no longer needed to eat, breathe, sleep or drink, and she had an almost unlimited endurance. Most wounds wouldn't bother her either.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    Forest Lake

As Mimi flies, she sprinkles pixie dust in her wake. It should cause the sliver to become enraged and more eager to pursue relentlessly. Okay, now just to keep it a decent distance away from her and find a good spot...

There! Mimi sees a bit of tall undergrowth with a tree right behind it. She takes one look back at the sliver before disappearing through it. On the other side she stops and braces her spear against the trunk. With any lucks she's placed it at about head/throat height as intended. She wants the sliver to ram right into the pointy spear, which she strengthens with some pixie dust, and to get off to the side just enough to avoid getting squished.
    Forest Lake

The sliver comes lunging through the brush, dead on target with its head tilted sideways, upper and lower jaws parallel to the ground as it strikes out unavoidably. The beak scores great gouges in the wood as it wraps around, the spear disappearing from sight into its mouth with a low squelch that is drowned out by its hollow, wooden thump.

Mimi, being next to the spear as the sliver connects with the trunk, may either be perforated by one half of the beak or thrown clear if she can react quickly enough to let go of it in time. Either way, the sliver falls to the ground, convulsing, wheezing from a nasty hole in the front of its throat through which the tip of the spear sticks, most likely bent to near uselessness from the amount of force that just slammed into it.

It's clearly not dead from its thrashing, but there's no way it can fight in its condition. If Mimi can find some way to kill it from here, she has her prize.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

9. - Top - End - #819

[Wilderness]

"So you're immortal like me then. My wounds heal faster and live past my life expectancy due to the connection to my god." It sounded pretty much the same to her expect the undead part but as far as she was concerned Trisha wasn't anything like the undead of her world.

She looked more... healthy for instance. "Your turn."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2012-06-05 at 07:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

[Hills]

As Thenadier and Mercutio discus things, they'll find a pair of balls of light floting towards them. where they came from is not known, but it's an almost lazy pace as they approach the pair.

for Thenadier, the ball will come to rest just in front of him, before changing itself into a knife made from the horns of a goat. If he takes it from where it floats in the air, he'll know that as long as he holds it, as long as he concentrates for a moment, he can become intangible as a cloud, like the rams were.

For Mercutio, the ball begins to take shape, before coalescing into a beautifully colored bird, which will then try to land on the mage's shoulder. He should be able to feel that it, in itself is a powerful source of magical power, completely at his disposal.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest Lake]

Mimi is fast. Very fast. But she doesn't have a lot of time to react. The pixie throws herself to the side, but still gets clipped by the side of the beak. She screams in pain she she roughly hits the ground. She has a very large gash in her side and possibly a couple broken ribs. She's alive though, and she has to see this through.

It takes a supreme effort, but she pushes herself off the ground. How is she gonna do this? She spies a large rock. She goes over to it and uses her pixie dust to make it very light. A little more of the magic dust allows her to grip it. Her mind is swimming as she fights off the urge to lie down. She lifts the rock gradually, unable to stop a whimper of pain. Mimi lifts it a ways above the sliver's head and lets it fall.

12. - Top - End - #822

Forest Lake

The sliver is no more. All that remains is for Mimi to tend to her wounds, accept her gift from the goddess, and collect the gems she was originally after.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

13. - Top - End - #823

Sea

The galley loses a few of its starboard oars to the crab's claws but this isn't enough to slow down the galley at the moment, still cruising on the momentum from earlier. As it finishes it's turn it manages the cannons are deadlocked onto the crab. "Harpoons at the ready boys, that's your dinner tonight!" Braun says with a laugh. The harpoon men near the edge readying for the next phase of attack, as the captain raises his hand above his and drops it with an exclamation of "Starboard cannons FIRE!" The air is filled with the deafening sounds of cannon fire as the crab and the area around it are accosted by cannon balls.

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest Lake]

Mimi lowers herself down next to the sliver. She cringes as she bumps her broken leg against the ground. That done she leans up against the corpse and just rests for a bit. She needs it.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ogre in the Playground

Wilderness

The woman furrows her brow in thought as she works on her blade. "What do you serve?" She asks with a pretty good idea of what it might be, even if she doesn't know who it really is.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Orc in the Playground

Sea

The carcinos is hit by a cannon ball that takes off its left eye-stalk. It lunges forwards with its claws, aiming to put them into the ship's hull and start hacking a hole in it.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

17. - Top - End - #827

Wilderness

"Kuori, the hunter." Michicora replies, not feeling that concerned over her own blade yet. She have recently sharpened it and even if the last fight might have dulled it a bit she hadn't taken any of the equipment with her.

"I'm a lot like you in a way except I hunt down specific threats, whoever I consider one or my god commands me to." She explains, being full aware that Kuori usually didn't like undead beings. Especially not ones serving hate, but Trisha seemed decent and she seemed to have good reasons to. That she had attacked her... well, Kuori hadn't say anything so it was probably okay.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest Lake]

As Mimi rests, she'll feel something coming to her. A white glow envelopes her broken leg, and soothing feelings rush out of it. once the light has dissipated, she'll find the limb completely whole and unbroken.

and if she looks around, where there wasn't one before, she'll find a spear. it's an odd looking one, to be sure - the haft is definitely made of bone, with a gray flesh wrap holding the head in place, the head itself being made from a gem, clearly taken from the creature she just killed.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forest Lake]

Mimi opens her eyes and looks around. "Whoa..." She gets up, wincing at her still broken ribs. She can't complain though. She grabs the spear and eyes it appreciatively. Shiny...

But she has other things to do now. She returns to the corpse and painstakingly removes one of the smallest gems, a green one about the size of a (human) thumb. With her prizes in hand, Mimi will take flight and slowly make her way out of the Hunting Grounds.

20. - Top - End - #830

Desert

Even with the dragon distracted with fighting Enola and the shapeshifter, the triplets don't stop their sprint through the sands. Not with the dragon already having thoroughly proven it's ability to attack them while dealing with the others.

They only slow just enough to resume pelting the giant lizard with bullets, an unfocused volley this time as being on the move in all different directions makes it all but impossible to coordinated their attacks.

Other than that.... Well, there's really nothing to respond to. Yay for not being attacked!
    Meese Mobster by smuchmuch.

21. - Top - End - #831

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Sea

The carcinos is hit by a cannon ball that takes off its left eye-stalk. It lunges forwards with its claws, aiming to put them into the ship's hull and start hacking a hole in it.
    Sea

The Crab's great claws strike powerfully against the side of the Ocean Devil, but though they don't manage to make a pierce the hull, there's still some visible damage on the outer layer.

Braun freezes for a second. Enraged at the very prospect of what it just saw. It did not just try to put a hole in the Ocean Devil. It did not just try to put a hole in Braun's BABY! "I want a spearman in the hull! Release harpoons! I want that thing on a PLATTER!" Eight harpoons attached to strong chains are thrown towards the crab with power and precision, aimed at the joints of the arms and claws as well as the open eye wound.

Pirate Justin avatar by myself. Emmi avatar by Gulaghar, Much Thanks!

My Characters

22. - Top - End - #832

Plains
    Morbit will probably stop after gaining everything it thinks of worth from the troll, but can't gain something twice from the same source (Morbit's feathers are chicken feathers, so it can't copy chicken feathers again; but Morbit could replace them with eagle feathers, after which Morbit can copy chicken feathers again). Speaking of, do the tentacles actually do anything, are they unique to this troll, and are they hereditary? Is there anything unusual about the troll's internal anatomy (second liver, enlarged spleen, complex heart, etc?)
    The troll's anatomy actually isn't terribly unusual. Though the face tentacles do exactly what they do for a normal star-nosed mole. They're a sensory organ. Unless Morbit plans on doing a lot of burrowing they probably won't come in very handy.

Freddie will decapitate the troll with a swift stroke of hisr polearm, slaying the creature and causing its corpse to crumble away into a heap of soil and rocks!

[Riverbank]

Grapple that tree and woosh onto the monster!

The troll doesn't appear to have noticed Gordon's presence. The thing is still slowly heaving its bulk down stream.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-06-05 at 10:41 PM.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

Rainforest

She starts by setting a series of snares, with poisoned spines in the snare itself. She doesn't have Furball with her, or she'd set some deadfall traps, but she isn't strong enough to set one of those on her own that would damage a beast that size. After the snares are set, she digs a few holes - enough to possibly catch a hoof. Then she strings some vines across, to make triplines at various heights. Finally, she nicks her arm and leaves a blood trail from the entrance to the valley, leading to the ambush site.

She's able to climb high into a tree and get about an hour's rest before the beast awakes.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

24. - Top - End - #834

Riverbank

And now begins the climbing. Gordon looks for another tree closer to the top of the troll's head, and if there's one, tries to grapple over to it. If there isn't, Gordon tries to climb his way up the troll.

25. - Top - End - #835

[Riverbank]

Climb that troll!

Wow.

This is just like that one game where you scale the impossibly large monsters made of the landscape and stab them in their super special magical weakpoint.

Except the troll has no super special magical weakpoint on its body.

It's just a really frickin' HUGE troll.

Anywho!

Gordon climbs to the thing's head!

...now what?

26. - Top - End - #836

Riverbank

What now? Well, Gordon takes out his lava gun, still set on the long narrow beam setting, and braces himself. If the troll feels this, which it likely will, its going to start moving around.

With that done, Gordon tries to fire the gun, aimming to try to send the beam of lava down through the troll's head.

27. - Top - End - #837

Pond
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pond

Mateo's stabbed! He has no natural armour, though the coral isn't actually capable of permanently injuring him, unless it's enchanted, silver-lined or blessed. He grunts; it still hurts, it'll just heal quickly when he gets to drinking blood, unless it fills one of the above criteria (if it's blessed, he'll screech in pain and recoil, smoke pouring from the wound and the rest of this post doesn't happen). Mateo will quickly lower his head and try to bite her neck before she slips free; should she fight, she'll find it quite easy- his grip isn't as strong as it should be. On some level he's unconsciously trying not to hurt her, despite the fact she just stabbed him.

The knife is coral and nothing more. Odd that a pond siren would have a coral knife of all things, though. Perhaps it was a gift from the Goddess.

Either way, she rams it as deep into Mateo's chest as she can, clearly aiming for his heart. Which probably isn't a very effective attack, depending upon whether Mateo's particular variety of shape-shifting vampires pump blood. She pulls it out as she slips free, half-pushing Mateo off and half squirming over the rocks. It's like holding on to a fish. If he were using his full strength, Mateo probably wouldn't have any difficulty pinning her down. As it is, the siren is able to slip free and escape into the pond. She dives down into the murkey waters and out of sight. But if Mateo looks beneath him, he'll notice a trail of crimson scrapped against the craggy stone floor.

Swamp
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Wenomir keeps moving. Staying in one place is likely to be dangerous... especially since it's getting colder.

As Wenomir keeps going, the cold just seems to get worse. It's so cold that even his demon blood can't protect him from it. He may realize, if tangentially, that the cold is coming from him, not the air around him.

Suddenly, a stabbing flash of white-hot pain flashes in Wenomir's head light lightening behind his eyes.

Hills
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by singingnoodle View Post

Drunk? No....I don't drink alcohol. Dirty mind-numbing drink. I need my mind, without it I'd not be smart. Well...um....yeah....he's not exactly 100% there after the whole 7 year imprisonment thing. He went a little over the edge. I'm not a gnome! I'm human ! It would not be my fault, however it is different with you hellish creatures. All of you are evil....all of you. I haven't met one who didn't want to deceive me. Not one, you included. I was controlled y a demon when I slayed him, I killed him, but was under someone elses control. Doesn't sound too bad? I was stuck in a hellish desert for years, living off of cactus juice and small animals. Immortality is not good, I will have to watch those I know die....
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    [Hills]

As Thenadier and Mercutio discus things, they'll find a pair of balls of light floting towards them. where they came from is not known, but it's an almost lazy pace as they approach the pair.

for Thenadier, the ball will come to rest just in front of him, before changing itself into a knife made from the horns of a goat. If he takes it from where it floats in the air, he'll know that as long as he holds it, as long as he concentrates for a moment, he can become intangible as a cloud, like the rams were.

For Mercutio, the ball begins to take shape, before coalescing into a beautifully colored bird, which will then try to land on the mage's shoulder. He should be able to feel that it, in itself is a powerful source of magical power, completely at his disposal.

Mercutio doesn't comment on Thenadier's stout denouement of alcohol, although the gnome-human-thing's insistence fails to convince him. The gnome-human thing does cause him to quirk an eyebrow, however. "Didn't you just say you were-" a sigh, "never mind."
    The devil was quickly running out of patience with this not-mortal. He had his own opinions about immortality and watching those around you die, and drinking juice and eating meat you catch yourself sounds positively luxurious compared to the souls who ended up in his little corner of Hell. For a brief moment, Mercutio entertains the idea of inviting Thenadier to come visit after he dies to see what a real Hell is like, and promptly decides against it.

One thing does irk him, though. "Evil? What a childish idea of morality. I am not 'evil'. I am a jail-keeper and a scholar. It is my role in life to punish the evil and the wicked, those who reached too far in their quest for knowledge or never had a quest at all. And whereas some devils choose to delight in the punishment they dole out, not I or my kin. We study and labour, using the souls and bodies that find their way to us to learn ever more. There is no evil in what we do, mortal. Only learning."

A waste of breath, he decides as he finishes his little speech. Mortals like this one before him often placed little value in the education Mercutio valued. Maybe he would meet with Thenadier in the afterlife, after all. Mercutio would freely admit that he did not relish the prospect.

But before he can say anything to this affect or further adamonish Thenadier, the gift which he has been waiting for arrives. Cutting off any retort Thenadier has with a silencing hand, Mercutio turns his eyes to the sky. He watches as the little orb drifts down, and blinks in surprise to see it take on the form of a bird. It is a beautiful creature, with golden plumage, a long, pointed beak, and bright and clever golden eyes. Its wingspan is as wide as the arm Mercutio holds out for it to land on, the tops of it dusted a pastel pink. It settles down with long, thin, blue talons onto Meructio's coat-sleeve, it's pastel pink and purple tail hanging down as far as Mercutio's waist.

Mercutio watches his new pet in fascination for a while, before smiling as he realizes it's latent magical energy, untapped and ready to be used. Yes. Mercutio would benefit from this new companion.

"Well. It's been a pleasure," Mercutio lies, "but I'm afraid I must be off now. You know how it is." Without waiting for an answer, the blue-skinned devil turns and leaves.
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

28. - Top - End - #838
    Pixie in the Playground

[Desert]

Well, it's a good thing Diinuldrum's eyes are up and focused on Enola, for Ruber's attempting to sneak until he's right under the beast's raised head.

Seeing as the dragon's currently lying down as it had tried to crush him/her before, and hadn't gotten back up, seemingly content with simply using its dragon breath, Rigel ought to be able to jump as high as s/he can, shove the dagger into his throat, and let the weight of the Elven morph tear a nice big jagged cut down Diinuldrum's neck. 'Course s/he's not exactly invisible, he's only hoping that the dragon's distracted enough to not notice a smallish elf warrior.
    Thank-you Ceika so much for my awesome avatar!

29. - Top - End - #839

[Riverbank]

Blast that troll right in its rocky head!

The molten doom ray melts a nice hole down into the creature's head! Apparently not enough to slay it. Though it IS enough to upset it quite a bit!

A massive tentacle comes heaving out of the water is a bid to smush Gordon!

[Desert]

Ah good.

The pesky little creature is finally locked in several feet of solid ice. Diinuldrum does his best to ignore the stinging pain of the bullets biting into him, the dizziness caused by all the blood loss. He knows that he'll be buying the farm in a few minutes at best. But who cares? Given the nature of this place that just means he won't get a prize for the time being.

He had underestimated how powerful the people of this place are. A mistake he would not make again. Next time find a single foe to fight. Five at once is a little much.

Yes, his vision is beginning to tunnel now. But at the very least he would have the satisfaction of taking one of these creatures with him. "You have fought well, little mortals. Remember the name Diinuldrum and speak of the glory of this battle. And perhaps next time you will have a chance to test your mettle against me by yourself!"

And with that he clinches one claw toward the entombed Enola, causing tons of ice to come crushing inward in the form of sheets of razor-sharp spikes.

Oh hey.

What's that?

A huge gash down the dragon's neck! With blood pouring out of it and everything! Yeah, he's probably going to die next round.
    Last edited by Rebonack; 2012-06-06 at 12:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #840

Riverbank

Gordon whips out his grapple gun and tries to grapple towards a tree farther from the tentacle.

Okay, you put a hole in its head, so now the next step is getting back up there, and hammer at that hole. Of course, first comes not getting crushed.