New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 82 of 91 FirstFirst ... 32577273747576777879808182838485868788899091 LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2431
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 1201: To use battle jump, as a medium creature, and you are standing right next to the medium sized enemy, and you declare you want to jump 10ft above them so you are 5ft total above them, is the dc check 16?

I assume this from starting at 8 ft from the Vertical Reach, + the dc of wanting to jump 2 feet (8) and double it since it isn't a running start from 20 ft.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

2. - Top - End - #2432
    Titan in the Playground

q 1202 When I have soulmelds shaped, can I make a disguise check to hide them? I mean, disguise myself as someone who doesn't have ghostly body parts on me.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #2433
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1201 No.

D&D has two types of Jump checks which bring your character significantly above ground level:
    • Long Jump - a horizontal leap where the maximum height, at the midpoint, is 1/4 the horizontal distance
    • High Jump - a vertical leap which does not include any horizontal movement
    No Jump can include a horizontal component and yet result in you dropping directly from above an opponent, which is what Battle Jump requires. Instead, any Jump of this short is always in an arc. You can use Battle Jump to drop directly from above an enemy if you are standing on a ledge, a Carpet of Flying, or some other surface above them. Regardless of the name, you cannot satisfy this feat's requirement with any horizontal Jump.

4. - Top - End - #2434
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 1201 No.

D&D has two types of Jump checks which bring your character significantly above ground level:
    • Long Jump - a horizontal leap where the maximum height, at the midpoint, is 1/4 the horizontal distance
    No Jump can include a horizontal component and yet result in you dropping directly from above an opponent, which is what Battle Jump requires. Instead, any Jump of this short is always in an arc. You can use Battle Jump to drop directly from above an enemy if you are standing on a ledge, a Carpet of Flying, or some other surface above them. Regardless of the name, you cannot satisfy this feat's requirement with any horizontal Jump.
    ^ curmudgeon here is known for being one of the most RAW savvy members of the playground, but this particular question has been, and continues to be, a topic that is hotly debated.

Regardless of what may or may not be RAW, ask your DM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #2435
    Ogre in the Playground

A 1201 No.

So using your jump skill to put your self into that position isn't the same as falling from the same distance? I'm confused. What's the difference between jumping up to say 15 feet over a medium creature, and falling on them?
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.

6. - Top - End - #2436
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    So using your jump skill to put your self into that position isn't the same as falling from the same distance? I'm confused. What's the difference between jumping up to say 15 feet over a medium creature, and falling on them?
    Again, this issue is way more debatable than is appropriate for this thread.

I would suggest making a thread for the topic if you want to get in-depth on it.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

7. - Top - End - #2437
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Again, this issue is way more debatable than is appropriate for this thread.

I would suggest making a thread for the topic if you want to get in-depth on it.
    If it is that hot of a topic I'm sure I can find it. The words are clear as crystal, I wasn't worried about that, just finding the DC of the jump lol.

8. - Top - End - #2438
    Titan in the Playground

If it is that hot of a topic I'm sure I can find it. The words are clear as crystal, I wasn't worried about that, just finding the DC of the jump lol.
    In that case, the DC would be either 8X the height of the creature in feet, plus another 40, or just 40 depending on whether your DM took 5ft above them to mean from 5ft above their head, or 5ft above their current elevation.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #2439
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PetterTomBos View Post
    Q1200 Help me find a monster. I remember it being made out of old scrolls and staffs. I think it had a drawing of it as well, but I can't remember where I saw it!
    A1200
    That sounds like the Grisgol, from Monster Manual 3.

10. - Top - End - #2440
    Banned

Q 1203
    Can you fail a skill or ability check on purpose?

11. - Top - End - #2441
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If you jump from a position on one side of a creature to a mid-point in the air above them, you will continue to fall in an arc and land on the other side of them. You have no way of cancelling your forward velocity and simply dropping down at that point, as required by Battle Jump.

A 1203 No.

In the core rules you are allowed to fail a saving throw to willingly accept the consequence of a skill. Rules Compendium expanded that to allow you to willingly fail any saving throw. However, the game does not allow willing failure for skill checks, ability checks, attacks, or most other aspects of D&D. (It's a game oriented toward heroic derring-do, not ignominious failure.)

12. - Top - End - #2442
    Banned

(It's a game oriented toward heroic derring-do, not ignominious failure.)
    Is there a game oriented toward ignominious failure? Several of my favorite TV shows would appear to be best modeled by the rules of such a system.

13. - Top - End - #2443
    Ettin in the Playground

If you jump from a position on one side of a creature to a mid-point in the air above them, you will continue to fall in an arc and land on the other side of them. You have no way of cancelling your forward velocity and simply dropping down at that point, as required by Battle Jump.
    So what's preventing you from making a jump whose apex is in the middle between you and the targeted creature. You will be falling in an arc onto the target's square.

14. - Top - End - #2444
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    So what's preventing you from making a jump whose apex is in the middle between you and the targeted creature. You will be falling in an arc onto the target's square.
    Nothing (initially) prevents you from doing this. You would not, of course, qualify for the benefit of Battle Jump because you're not "simply dropping from a height of at least 5 feet above your opponent" with this long jump. You would likely provoke an attack of opportunity from your opponent for leaving a square they threaten. And then you would be required to continue moving.
    A creature can squeeze past an opponent while moving but it can’t end its movement in an occupied square.

15. - Top - End - #2445
    Ettin in the Playground

As soon as you leave the ground in any jump you are basically only dropping. With initial forward movement you are just not dropping vertically, but the feat does not have that requirement, only that you at one point are 5 ft above your opponent.

Wouldn't your quote make hitting with a Battle Jump altogether impossible under 3.5? The feat description in Unapproachable East (3.0) does nothing to change that.

Q 1204

Is the caster level for dispel magic still capped at 10 if you have Elven Spell Lore?

Q 1205

Is ability damage a damage type? Or more specifically, can I use Elven Spell Lore to change a spell's damage to ability damage?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-27 at 05:18 AM.

16. - Top - End - #2446
    Banned

Q1206
    As far as I can tell, every class that gets Craft, Perform, or Profession as a class skill gets to choose any number of varieties of these skills; I don't know of any exceptions like those found under Knowledge. Thusly, I ask: if an Expert or Human Paragon devotes one of his "choose ten skills" picks to Craft, Perform, or Profession, does he get that entire set of skills, or only a specific variety of his choice?

17. - Top - End - #2447
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1206

No:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Like Knowledge, Perform, and Profession, Craft is actually a number of separate skills. You could have several Craft skills, each with its own ranks, each purchased as a separate skill.
    So essentially you cannot pick Craft, Knowledge, Perform or Profession but you would have to pick something like Craft (Woodworking), Knowledge (Arcana), Perform (Oratory) or Profession (sailor).

Q 1207

Would the bonuses from a masterwork tool that is later enchanted to give a bonus to the same skill stack?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-27 at 06:10 AM.

18. - Top - End - #2448
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q1208 If I have 2 or more spellcasting classes is the time I spend preparing spells each day the sum of the preparation times of the classes or the longest of the preparation times. Eg. A Wizard/Cleric spends 8 hours of rest and then one hour preparing the wizard spells and one hour preparing the cleric spells or just one hour preparing both sets of spells?

19. - Top - End - #2449
    Titan in the Playground

A 1206

No:

So essentially you cannot pick Craft, Knowledge, Perform or Profession but you would have to pick something like Craft (Woodworking), Knowledge (Arcana), Perform (Oratory) or Profession (sailor).

Q 1207

Would the bonuses from a masterwork tool that is later enchanted to give a bonus to the same skill stack?
    Since MW tools grant a circumstance bonus, and skill boosting items almost always grant a competence bonus, the two bonuses would stack.

Do note, however, that most masterwork tools would be slotless items, thus doubling the cost for the competence bonus enhancement.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #2450
    Banned

So an Expert can pick any ten Craft skills as his entire class skill selection, but a member of any one of the PHB classes will get every Craft skill that exists and more besides. Greaaaaat.

21. - Top - End - #2451
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    So an Expert can pick any ten Craft skills as his entire class skill selection, but a member of any one of the PHB classes will get every Craft skill that exists and more besides. Greaaaaat.
    You misunderstand. If craft is a class skill, you can put ranks in it, but you have to choose a specific type of craft. An expert that has chosen craft as one of his class skills can divvy up his ranks in craft among as many different craft sub-skills as he likes and still choose nine other class skills.

That is to say, craft is the class skill, craft (basketweaving) is a sub-set of craft.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-27 at 09:24 AM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #2452
    Ettin in the Playground

That is to say, craft is the class skill, craft (basketweaving) is a sub-set of craft.
    No. You cannot get Craft as a class skill. You could get Craft (Basketweaving) or all craft skills as a class skill, as I quoted earlier.

willpell is correct that the Expert can at most get ten different class skills whereas most if not all PC classes get all of them.

23. - Top - End - #2453
    Titan in the Playground

No. You cannot get Craft as a class skill. You could get Craft (Basketweaving) or all craft skills as a class skill, as I quoted earlier.

willpell is correct that the Expert can at most get ten different class skills whereas most if not all PC classes get all of them.
    [citation needed]

Perhaps another thread would be in order.

Gimme a sec.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #2454
    Ettin in the Playground

[citation needed]
    See post 2447 or
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p. 70
    Like Knowledge, Perform, and Profession, Craft is actually a number of separate skills. For instance, you could have the skill Craft (carpentry). Your ranks in that skill don’t affect any Craft (pottery) or Craft (leatherworking) checks you might make. You could have several Craft skills, each with its own ranks, each purchased as a separate skill.

25. - Top - End - #2455
    Titan in the Playground

You misunderstand. If craft is a class skill, you can put ranks in it, but you have to choose a specific type of craft. An expert that has chosen craft as one of his class skills can divvy up his ranks in craft among as many different craft sub-skills as he likes and still choose nine other class skills.

[citation needed]

Perhaps another thread would be in order.

Gimme a sec.
    See post 2447 or
    Then why is it that literally every class that has craft and proffession lists them as singular skills, while knowledge is always listed either by individual itterations or has the (all skills taken individually) tag?

Btw, I did make another thread for this, so we don't bog this one down.

Edit: oh sure, now the frickin' multiquote buttons work.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-27 at 10:02 AM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #2456
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

A1200
    That sounds like the Grisgol, from Monster Manual 3.
    Thankies! Used! (To great effect, even tho' two different players both stood on their Will-saves when looking trough the remains :( )

27. - Top - End - #2457
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1204 Yes.

The feat adds to your caster level for the check, and the total CL is what is capped by the spell.

A 1205 No.

Elven Spell Lore is specific to an energy type:
    You can prepare the spell multiple times, selecting the same or a different energy type for it with each preparation.
    You much choose one of the 5 defined D&D energy damage types: acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic.

A 1208

Spellcasting from different classes is handled separately unless stated otherwise. You cannot multitask to prepare spells for different classes at the same time.

28. - Top - End - #2458
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Q 1197
    Is there a way to get 9th level spells on a fixed list caster that has PrCed into Rainbow Servant?
    Repost of Q 1197; it got lost.

29. - Top - End - #2459
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: A1205
    Great, one sentence contradicts the other:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB II p. 79
    When preparing that spell, you can alter the type of damage it deals to a single type of your choice.
    9d6 points of CON damage to everyone in a 60ft cone (altered Cone of Cold) would have been overpowered though.

30. - Top - End - #2460
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A1197
    Yes - once you have completed Rainbow Servant keep taking levels of the original class or Epic Rainbow Servant until you reach the required caster level.