New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Overwatch: Thread of the Game

Tested streaming to Facebook this morning.
    So now everyone can see some really pathetic gameplay... :D
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Question:
    Does it also reduce the force or just the damage? I have not yet noticed any difference in the area it clears if you throw it among a group of enemies.
    Only the damage is nerfed.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Wow, Mercy's ult is really, really boring. It doesn't even feel like ulting, it's just doing what you did, only a little better. They could have at least made it so that you can instantly resurrect people.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Only the damage is nerfed.
    Thank you.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Wow, Mercy's ult is really, really boring. It doesn't even feel like ulting, it's just doing what you did, only a little better. They could have at least made it so that you can instantly resurrect people.
    Yes, while I understand their wanting to eliminate the perverse incentives of her original ultimate (basically, which promoted hiding from your team during a big teamfight), I do agree that the reworked ultimate is a snoozefest. I'd just assume see her get back her old ultimate, at this point, and work on tuning the rate at which she gains it.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

I'd personally like to see them go back to TF2 and just give her ult single-target invulnerability along with flight.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I'd personally like to see them go back to TF2 and just give her ult single-target invulnerability along with flight.
    I actually think a mass Taz'dingo might be a better effect; they still take damage, but can't be brought below 1 HP for the duration.

It enables a risky team push in the same way a mass ult did, but allows the opposing team counterplay; they can weather the storm, deal damage, and then mop up the weakened enemies with only a sliver of HP left after the blitzkrieg is over.

It'd need some tuning (a small radius aura centered on Mercy herself, perhaps, and maybe it doesn't affect her?) but I think it would be a much better mechanic than a rez.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2018-02-02 at 02:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I actually think a mass Taz'dingo might be a better effect; they still take damage, but can't be brought below 1 HP for the duration.

It enables a risky team push in the same way a mass ult did, but allows the opposing team counterplay; they can weather the storm, deal damage, and then mop up the weakened enemies with only a sliver of HP left after the blitzkrieg is over.

It'd need some tuning (a small radius aura centered on Mercy herself, perhaps, and maybe it doesn't affect her?) but I think it would be a much better mechanic than a rez.
    Team immortality seems like it would be insanely broken, especially if it applied to her as well. In any case, the chain heal does that to a large extent already, only most teams don't have the brains to make use of it.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Team immortality seems like it would be insanely broken, especially if it applied to her as well. In any case, the chain heal does that to a large extent already, only most teams don't have the brains to make use of it.
    It would definitely need fine tuning, like I said, but it's far, far easier to gauge the impact of in playtesting than the impact of a resurrect (which has different value on any given target in any conceivable team composition) and simply tune the NUMBERS down or up to adjust, where a resurrect can really only be balanced by how cumbersome and unsatisfying it is for the user to activate.

Even a 2-4 second duration of immortality can have a big impact with good team coordination, but doesn't have the effect a resurrect does of retroactively negating the good play of the opposing team and poor play of yours, which is really the psychological impact of a rez in a nutshell.

Preventative measures are always more satisfying on both sides than ones that negate something that already happened.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I'd prefer it over the mass heal, mostly because it's more obviously impactful.

That said, it would overlap heavily with Sound Barrier...

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

I actually think Mercy's new ultimate was fine. Maybe you could limit it to one instant resurrection, but flying, healing folks and picking them up felt really good, it felt impactful, like an ultimate should.

Mass Taz'dingo sounds cool, too. You could even reuse the "heroes never die" line.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It would definitely need fine tuning, like I said, but it's far, far easier to gauge the impact of in playtesting than the impact of a resurrect (which has different value on any given target in any conceivable team composition) and simply tune the NUMBERS down or up to adjust, where a resurrect can really only be balanced by how cumbersome and unsatisfying it is for the user to activate.

Even a 2-4 second duration of immortality can have a big impact with good team coordination, but doesn't have the effect a resurrect does of retroactively negating the good play of the opposing team and poor play of yours, which is really the psychological impact of a rez in a nutshell.

Preventative measures are always more satisfying on both sides than ones that negate something that already happened.
    My issue is that an absolute 'you can't die' button for the entire team really doesn't invite much counter-play. Assuming that Sombra could interrupt it, I guess that's a counter, and you can sound barrier your own team to just ride out the duration, but I think such a move would constantly teeter between being meaningless (if the duration is too short) and wildly overpowered (if it's too long).

I'd prefer it over the mass heal, mostly because it's more obviously impactful.

That said, it would overlap heavily with Sound Barrier...
    You can burn through Sound Barrier. We're talking about temporary invulnerability here.

What made the big rez so annoying in its original form is that every fight devolved into 'find the Mercy'. I think a certain amount of that can be interesting, so long as it's not every teamfight, which I think you're better off tuning with her ult charge rate. I think a more impactful ultimate less often would be preferrable to most of the player base to a really mediocre ultimate frequently.

I get how they don't want players to feel like they can never tempo-rez, but I think the recent experiment has proven a pretty stark failure. Let's give Mercy some other ability to replace rez, and give her the original ult back, just make her get it not quite so often.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair; as I understand it Mercy mains were always a special breed; she has (almost) always been a must-pick AND very boring.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

To be fair; as I understand it Mercy mains were always a special breed; she has (almost) always been a must-pick AND very boring.
    She was quite marginal during the triple-tank meta after the introduction of Ana, and there have been maps where Zen/Lucio was strong (King of the Hill).

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    She was quite marginal during the triple-tank meta after the introduction of Ana, and there have been maps where Zen/Lucio was strong (King of the Hill).
    Yeah, for a long time there it seemed like they were nerfing all the other healers just to try and push more players to Mercy. I don't recall her ever really getting nerfed until after the rework.

Also, add me to the tally of people who think the new ultimate is boring. Personally I think she should have a lesser version of that all the time (limited flight and an option to chain heal for ~half the amount of her single target heal), and then get her team revive ultimate back.

Actually, I have an idea for how to rework her team revive ultimate that might help to avoid the pitfalls it had before. Let me know if this is a good idea or a stupid one.

How about when her ult reaches 100%, that gives her a single-target resurrect, similar to what she has now but at a longer range and with instant activation. However, let her keep charging and bank up to 3, maybe 4 of them, which can be used in rapid succession. Put a 30-second cooldown on each teammate so that she can't just keep resurrecting the tank over and over again, and let's say a 2-second cooldown between charges, so that the enemy team has a chance to stop her from raising multiple teammate in a row.

So for example, when Mercy's ult hits 100% she banks a single resurrect, her meter resets to zero, and she begins charging another one, up to whatever the maximum is. Three teammates die to an enemy ult, so Mercy flies in, raises her tank, then hides behind him for a couple seconds until she can raise another, then another.

I think this would help encourage Mercy to revive teammates rather than hoard her ult, hide from teammates, and hope for that game-changing mass revive. There are a couple safeguards built in to prevent it from becoming too obnoxious and to allow some shutdown opportunities.

I'm sure there are still some flaws I haven't seen, but what do you think?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Congratulations to me!
    My worst rank yet! Mid Bronze!!

I did my qualification matches this weekend because I figured "Why not".

Now I remember why I quit Overwatch 18 months ago:
    Out of 10 matches, 7 were losses because of people leaving the game. 2 were honest losses. 1 was a win.

At the same time only playing quick play feels pointless knowing there's a ranking system...

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Congratulations to me!
    My worst rank yet! Mid Bronze!!

I did my qualification matches this weekend because I figured "Why not".

Now I remember why I quit Overwatch 18 months ago:
    Out of 10 matches, 7 were losses because of people leaving the game. 2 were honest losses. 1 was a win.

At the same time only playing quick play feels pointless knowing there's a ranking system...
    The ranking system is pointless too. Unless you're so head-and-shoulders better than the people in your lobby that you can personally carry, ranked is largely an exercise in stat-padding until you reach platinum, whereupon you are merely a cork on the tide of the random lobby shuffle. Honestly, forget about your SR. It simply doesn't matter. Focus on being a better player, and winning each game. Expand your hero pool, and learn which heroes counter the most annoying person on the enemy team.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

The ranking system is pointless too. Unless you're so head-and-shoulders better than the people in your lobby that you can personally carry, ranked is largely an exercise in stat-padding until you reach platinum, whereupon you are merely a cork on the tide of the random lobby shuffle. Honestly, forget about your SR. It simply doesn't matter. Focus on being a better player, and winning each game. Expand your hero pool, and learn which heroes counter the most annoying person on the enemy team.
    The point is that I can't. All that you posted above is absolutely correct and wonderful advice. In theory. Because if someone quits on purpose, you are frakked.
    It doesn't matter what I do, if I get marked as a "loser" because someone else deliberately ditches a game. Now my SR is under 600, because two more games today the same thing happened. Again.

Blizzard really need to do something serious about the lower rankings. Unless you're good enough to carry a game to a win with only 4 players against 6, you really can't climb. At least not on European servers.
    Seriously. At this point I see three things:

1. Cancel the match, not counting any results, period. OR
    2. Auto-eject a random player on the other team (not giving him a loss, of course) OR
    3. Slap anyone that disconnects for any reason with a 1 week automatic ban from all playing. Yes it's harsh and unfair, but it might just stop people.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2018-02-04 at 03:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

4.) Stop giving a **** about the pointless ranking system.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Again, it's all great advice in theory.

However
    1. I like improving. Quickplay is not well suited for improving.
    2. If I am down in the below 600 range, which I am now, improving is basically a dream. The teamwork is so bad, and the amount of trolls, griefers and quitters so large, that all I improve at is some basic button pressing. And worst of all is that rank matters in next season. so Season 9 is also frakked already.

Ad to that that quickplay basically lacks lasting rewards. I don't have friends. As in, at all. Online or otherwise. The ranking is basically the only sense of accomplishment that will last.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

2. If I am down in the below 600 range, which I am now, improving is basically a dream. The teamwork
    Lemme stop you right there.
    I know OW has a notoriously crappy rating system, but improving oneself really comes at, well, improving oneself and not relying on others.
    "Just clicking the buttons" is how you fundamentally play the game, after all. That's how you achieve superior positioning and that's how you shoot at people better.
    Also, if there are so many leavers as you say, you logically should be able to have 6v5 or 6v4 games notoriously as well, because it shouldn't be able to impact only you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

I know I know
    I got quite tilted, mostly due to low blood sugar.

I got four more games in after this, and yes, we lost two and won two, but yes. Individual skill matters at these levels.
    I will follow an (unfortunately good) advice from somewhere else though: Go with the character you know the best. Instalock and don't switch unless neccesary. It is, according to a LOT of people, the best way to climb out of Bronze or Silver. Just because teamwork isn't what it should be, so individual skill is far more important.
    Basically a decent Genji is more valuable than a ****ty Rein. Etc.

In my case that means instalocking Junkrat unless team composition really need a healer. In that case Moira or maybe Lucio.
    During these two days I have become much better at vertical movement with Rat and Lucio though. So that's something.

Btw the one thing I miss when playing Rat instead of Moira is the panicking Mei. The feeling when you're trolling her instead of the other way around is wonderful.
    Another is blinking out just before you hit a wall when pinned by Rein. I only pulled it off twice this weekend but damn that feels good.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

FWIW, I was absolutely stunned when I learned that leaving a game puts your team in a 5v6. I always thought you'd just get a bot replacement like in HotS.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

FWIW, I was absolutely stunned when I learned that leaving a game puts your team in a 5v6. I always thought you'd just get a bot replacement like in HotS.
    A bot would actually be worse. They don't understand grouping and ult economy properly, and will just feed both healing and damage ult charge to the enemy team. To be fair, if it's not ranked, you'll usually just get another player in a second or two anyway as well.

As for the ranked climb, good luck! It really is just putting your nose to the grindstone. I'm at close to 3200 SR right now, but the only reason I'm as high as that is just from playing... And playing...

You will get better, and "elo hell" doesn't exist. The way to climb in bronze is the same way as in diamond. There have been a ton of pro players who have done "Bronze to master" climbs in less than a day. On average, the enemy team will get as many losses from leavers as yours(Slightly more, actually, since a random player leaving has a 6/11 chance to be from the enemy team if you are not leaving) if you're not raging at your allies or something else that would encourage them to leave.
    Last edited by Manticoran; 2018-02-04 at 09:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manticoran View Post
    A bot would actually be worse. They don't understand grouping and ult economy properly, and will just feed both healing and damage ult charge to the enemy team. To be fair, if it's not ranked, you'll usually just get another player in a second or two anyway as well.

As for the ranked climb, good luck! It really is just putting your nose to the grindstone. I'm at close to 3200 SR right now, but the only reason I'm as high as that is just from playing... And playing...

You will get better, and "elo hell" doesn't exist. The way to climb in bronze is the same way as in diamond. There have been a ton of pro players who have done "Bronze to master" climbs in less than a day. On average, the enemy team will get as many losses from leavers as yours(Slightly more, actually, since a random player leaving has a 6/11 chance to be from the enemy team if you are not leaving) if you're not raging at your allies or something else that would encourage them to leave.
    Though the whole "Bronze to master" thing is nothing to be proud of.
    If you're already Master / Grand Master and tank your rank on purpose you

1. Screw teams over on the way down (your team)
    2. Sabotages the ranking system
    3. Screws over teams on the way up (the opposing team)

Edit: Other things that bugs me... Isn't it frustrating when you're the only one noticing an enemy somewhere, and everyone else ignores him or her? I spent half of a game yesterday having to go and deal with a flanking Junkrat who kept going back the same route every time... Yet I, the Junkrat on our team, was the one that had to deal with him. It went as well as you can imagine; A third of the time he won, a third of the time I won, a third of the time we blew each other up.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2018-02-05 at 01:10 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

That's the kind of problem you handle by telling your team where the enemies are. Sometimes they even pay attention, because some people actually like not dying to ambushes.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    That's the kind of problem you handle by telling your team where the enemies are. Sometimes they even pay attention, because some people actually like not dying to ambushes.
    The guy is spamming bright red exploding oranges that bounces right in front of ppl.
    With a smoke trail.

But yes. You're right.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The point is that I can't. All that you posted above is absolutely correct and wonderful advice. In theory. Because if someone quits on purpose, you are frakked.
    It doesn't matter what I do, if I get marked as a "loser" because someone else deliberately ditches a game. Now my SR is under 600, because two more games today the same thing happened. Again.

Blizzard really need to do something serious about the lower rankings. Unless you're good enough to carry a game to a win with only 4 players against 6, you really can't climb. At least not on European servers.
    Seriously. At this point I see three things:

1. Cancel the match, not counting any results, period. OR
    2. Auto-eject a random player on the other team (not giving him a loss, of course) OR
    3. Slap anyone that disconnects for any reason with a 1 week automatic ban from all playing. Yes it's harsh and unfair, but it might just stop people.
    Yes, just another reason why I think competitive is a bad idea. The 'attribution of value' of rank is mainly underpinned on having someone you can point at and say, "They're worse than me", which is why leavers are more prevalent at low ranks. Simply put, they've got nothing to lose. The game would be wildly better if they came up with a different way to motivate players, and hid people's MMR from view. Modern Warfare managed to have a thriving PvP scene without any ladder. I'm sure the creative minds at Blizzard can come up with a suitably engaging reward system, if they so choose.

This really is the only solution, but I can definitely sympathize with not wanting to have your game ruined by someone who loses their temper, or throws, or just has crummy internet. Which is why I'm only in quick play.

Again, it's all great advice in theory.

However
    1. I like improving. Quickplay is not well suited for improving.
    2. If I am down in the below 600 range, which I am now, improving is basically a dream. The teamwork is so bad, and the amount of trolls, griefers and quitters so large, that all I improve at is some basic button pressing. And worst of all is that rank matters in next season. so Season 9 is also frakked already.

Ad to that that quickplay basically lacks lasting rewards. I don't have friends. As in, at all. Online or otherwise. The ranking is basically the only sense of accomplishment that will last.
    Please, please, PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but if you're at SR 600 and staying there, then there's plenty you can learn in quick play. Not every game is a clownfiesta, the objectives are all the same, and I'm guessing your mechanics are pretty poor. Well, quick play is a great place to brush up on mechanics, to get better at your heroes, learn new ones, and learn how to exploit the maps. For one thing, you haven't actually put in enough time to learn any heroes out of your pool. You've got one day played as Junkrat, and he's your most-played Hero.

If you really want to improve, here's what I'd like you to do: 1) Pick someone else to play on offense. Junk is great in defense, he can spam chokes and use his traps to cover flanks, but he's really kinda poor when trying to push, and he's very bad trying to fight in the open. If you want to improve, learn from what better players do: They use Junkrat on specific maps, in specific locations. Defending Hollywood point 1, for example. 2) Practice your mine-jumps. Junkrat has great mobility, and a good Junkrat can use that mine to get to places on the map that can rain hell on the enemy. 3) Put time in a hitscan or projectile Hero. Your choice, but you really need someone in your hero pool who can reach out and touch someone. Zenyatta, Hanzo, Soldier, McCree, I don't care. Get into games, and learn to aim.

4) For the next 20 games (quick play) be as conservative as possible with your positioning. You're averaging 15 deaths per match in competitive. My guess is because you're struggling with landing hits unless you're barrelstuffing your enemy, but I want you to learn to engage your enemies at range, and get good positioning so you can rain misery on your enemies with impunity. Know where flank routes to your position are, and use your trap to block off one of them, and know where your exit route is, preferably toward a health pack, and toward the friendly spawn. 5) I sent a friend request, I'm happy to team up with you in quick play on Saturday or Sunday mornings (your Saturday or Sunday evenings), so I can pocket you, watch, and give some coaching. 6) Consider getting a mic and using it. Yes, I know that the game is sometimes a sewer of idiots, but sometimes a simple callout can really help your team. Telling your gang when you lost that Junkrat footsie duel and they're about to get flanked can turn a disaster into a victory.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you very much for your advice.
    Friend request will be accepted, of course.

As for characters... I'll see what I can do. I suck att hitscan in general.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Soldier is a good hitscan character for those who dislike hitscan. Automatic weapons are pretty forgiving on that, and even with meh accuracy he puts a lot of damage downrange.

I play Soldier when I'm having a bad day and can't aim too good but want to win.