New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dresden Files: Winter is coming

I've heard the theory about Eb. I'm not sure what to think of it. I mean, we know his daughter was black council, and we know he seriously didn't like it.
    Im am very sure we have seen seen any evidence suggesting anything like this.

Elaine I suspect is still on the side of the summer faeries. Since Titania is probably on the black council, Elaine could end up on the black council. She's also Outsiderbane, and if they can't have Harry they'd probably be happy to have Elaine.
    Also, i dont know why we suspect Titania of being on the Black council, i would personaly suspect that her being a Fairy Queen would place her high above concerns like that.
    Also, where did i miss the evidence proving that Elaine had powers over outsiders like harry?

That aside, i really dont belive the Merlin is Black either, he might be an Antagonist, but that doesnt male him evil.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I kind of doubt that the Farie Queens are Black Council, unless they were leading it.

Cowl is certainly Black Council. The Red King probably was. That new Senior Council Member (I forget his name) is implied to either be BC, or be working for them. I doubt any of the other current Senior Council members though, unless Butcher decides to go into convoluted super conspiracy mode (Eg: Yes their help was instrumental in stopping our scheme earlier, but they were REALLY just working for us all along!). Ebz and the Merlin are probably both clean, for a variety of reasons.

Mavra might be Black Council. She quasi-stopped cowl from ascending, but on the other hand Cowl only got access to what he needed because of Harry's involvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    The Red King probably was.
    Mavra might be Black Council. She quasi-stopped cowl from ascending, but on the other hand Cowl only got access to what he needed because of Harry's involvement.
    I doubt the Red King was black council. He was too unstable to make sense as a member, and he wasn't really the kind of guy to let anyone boss him around. Also, if he was a member they wouldn't have needed to recruit Bianca. I think the black council worked with the vampires some, but only to use them as a hammer to break the white council.

Also, it seems obvious that Mavra was/is involved with the black council. She used Harry to sabotage their plans with Cowl, yeah, but she didn't need to use Harry. She's powerful enough that she could have gotten the book herself, but she didn't. Because she needed a way to get the Word of Kemmler out of their hands without anyone knowing she was behind it. Harry says that after reading the book, he knows how to use necromancy against black court vampires. Since in the end the black court vamps are just dead bodies, it makes sense. So if the knowledge was out there that would allow any wizard to control or otherwise do bad things to black court vamps, she would need to make sure no one had it, even her allies. So she arranged to get the Word hidden again and not have her allies know that it was her.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Im am very sure we have seen seen any evidence suggesting anything like this.

Also, i dont know why we suspect Titania of being on the Black council, i would personaly suspect that her being a Fairy Queen would place her high above concerns like that.
    Also, where did i miss the evidence proving that Elaine had powers over outsiders like harry?

That aside, i really dont belive the Merlin is Black either, he might be an Antagonist, but that doesnt male him evil.
    A WoJ from the DF forums:

Q: Is Elaine another candidate to wield power over Outsiders (the way Harry supposedly is)?
    A: Yes. There’s a reason Justin picked the two of them. (Editor's note: The original asker posted this clarification)

Quote from: laura118b on August 23, 2010, 01:01:14 PM

…I asked him the question

The full question was if he had stated in the past, during an interview, that Elaine also was a candidate to have the potential to wield power over Outsiders. His longer answer was yes, he had said that before, that Harry and Elaine are just a few months apart age wise so for all intensive purposes the same age. He then told me that was one of the reasons that Justin had picked both of them to adopt, it wasn't just random kids with power. The key word in my question and his answer was potential.
    The WoJ compilation is one of the best reasons to go to the DF forums.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by datalaughing View Post
    I doubt the Red King was black council. He was too unstable to make sense as a member, and he wasn't really the kind of guy to let anyone boss him around. Also, if he was a member they wouldn't have needed to recruit Bianca. I think the black council worked with the vampires some, but only to use them as a hammer to break the white council.
    But the Red Court calling up outsiders (Something that can only be done by mortal magic) was one of the things that convinced Harry about the existence of the Black Council in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    But the Red Court calling up outsiders (Something that can only be done by mortal magic) was one of the things that convinced Harry about the existence of the Black Council in the first place.
    Yeah, that's what I meant when I said they worked with the vampires some.
    If you're a Brandon Sanderson fan (or you want to start being one), check out The Sanderlanche podcast!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Also I get the feeling that he might actually be good at magical crafting. In Proven Guilty Bob complements Harry's work on Little Chicago. He says something along the lines that the model is better than what any of the dark wizards Bob has worked with in the past could do.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I'd be... disappointed... if Nicodemus ended up an actual ally. It would positively ruin his most repugnant douchery. I mean maybe do a quick "favor" or something that nominally counts as helping, but not in the end showing up for the side of Harry. Killed off before would be a good resolution perhaps.

Lara and Marcone are totally going to end winner by hitching themselves to the real winning side. I more then half expected Marcone to be a member of the Grey Council.
    He's totally ending up on "team good". Also remember he was pissed when he found out one of his was helping the black council. He won't be any less of an jerk-face though. He'll be just as evil as before.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2012-11-12 at 11:09 PM.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

That's quite cool. Pun not intended.

One little string caught my eye: "...as the Industrial Age gathered steam". Subtle, heh. And rather amusing.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

This doesn't seem like a birthday party!

12. - Top - End - #252

Just read chapter 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Harry refused to take the first piece of bait that Mab laid out for him. The Queen is not going to love that. So who wants to bet that at some point, maybe even during this party, she will order Harry to kill Sarissa? I mean, how easy would it be for Harry to give in to temptation and take advantage of the next beautiful innocent girl if he knows the alternative is having to kill her. Then again, I doubt there'd be a next time because he'd probably just refuse to kill Sarissa and things would go badly for everyone. I guess it could be a setup of some sort and Sarissa will speak to Mab without permission, and then Harry would be ordered to kill her for breaking the law. That would be one hell of a test.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    He's totally ending up on "team good". Also remember he was pissed when he found out one of his was helping the black council. He won't be any less of an jerk-face though. He'll be just as evil as before.
    Nicodemus will never end up on team good. he is (fortunately) a tyrant, and a bloody strong one at that as well. he won't take kindly to divided loyalty so it's only logical for him to severely punish those who are part of the black council and a denarius.
    Just read chapter 3
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Harry refused to take the first piece of bait that Mab laid out for him. The Queen is not going to love that. So who wants to bet that at some point, maybe even during this party, she will order Harry to kill Sarissa? I mean, how easy would it be for Harry to give in to temptation and take advantage of the next beautiful innocent girl if he knows the alternative is having to kill her. Then again, I doubt there'd be a next time because he'd probably just refuse to kill Sarissa and things would go badly for everyone. I guess it could be a setup of some sort and Sarissa will speak to Mab without permission, and then Harry would be ordered to kill her for breaking the law. That would be one hell of a test.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hope you're wrong, but seeing how mab is the justified persona of Jim (seen as they are both sadists to the main protagonist who is funnily enough their plaything) it will probably happen. either that or Harry opens his mouth against Mab without permission and needs to kill her as part of punishment (you know not just taking away a toy, but making him kill his toy). Now that would be harsh...

and suddenly I'm scared of my brain... Wtf!
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

14. - Top - End - #254
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm bad with names. Who's Sarissa again?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Sarissa is
    Spoiler
    Show
    Harry's nurse and rehabilitator from the first chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Damn it, Butcher. I can't believe you'd think up something as awesome as an original Grimm print with a personal dedication That's just... gah.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

new Chapter:

Spoiler
    Show
    yep, that's the Harry we know. Rude, paranoid and unforegetting/unforgiving. I must say he is well suited for this court seeing he exchanges pleasantry well, though he might want to woek on his finesse and subtelty.

I immensely liked the touch of recreating his old appartment. Gives a sense of home. And ofcourse we did see his own birthday coming, so... No real surprise there...

Speaking of which: if surviving is winning, doesn't make that Harry somewhat olympic? I mean, if anyone has a knack for surviving ridicilous situations, it's Harry

I am also sad we didn't learn anything new about Maeve. I mean, we knew she was a coldhearted bitch before, albeit with an infinite libido. We also allready knew she has a tendency to play the cat in teh cat and mouse game (where everyone except for the Queen and Mother of Winter is deemed mouse). I am happy the book is not with any pictures at the moment, or I couln't read it at work, though the thoughts alone...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Link here, in case anyone wants it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I was wondering when we'd get to see her.

He really knows how to put someone down, doesn't he.

Also did we know that Harry's birthday is on Halloween? I must have kinda forgotten that.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

18. - Top - End - #258

Yeah, it's been mentioned once or twice. Harry's birthday is Halloween and Thomas's birthday is Valentine's Day. It's like their mother's womb had a weird sense of irony.

Spoiler
    Show
    On a tangentially related note, vajazzled is a super awesome word, but I somehow doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to use it in conversation.
    Last edited by datalaughing; 2012-11-20 at 07:56 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, it's been mentioned once or twice. Harry's birthday is Halloween and Thomas's birthday is Valentine's Day. It's like their mother's womb had a weird sense of irony.
    oh wow, now I see it... that is indeed ironic. And very funny...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone know when the actual book will come out?

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Book is due out next Tuesday. At which point I will purchase it to find out what happens next.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

27th this month. And it's going to be awesome...
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Does anyone know when the actual book will come out?
    Thank you for asking this, and thank you Aidan and Socratov for the answer.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it the 27th yet? No? AGH.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

How about now? It feels like it's been so long since your post that surely--what do you mean, only seven hours!?
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

PODL, brb, traveling to wherever you are to give you a high five.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

That's convenient. The release is the day I'm turning my essay in, so I can indulge it in good conscience.

That is, not like right now.

28. - Top - End - #268

I'm not sure which is worse, this moment, when the new book is so close you can almost taste it (mmm, paper), or the moment after you finish reading the new book and you suddenly realize that it will be another year before you get more.

As a happy coincidence, though, the new Iron Druid Chronicles book comes out the same day as the new Dresden Files. So at least I'll have something to keep me busy after I finish Cold Days.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

After I finish Cold Days I have to continue reading the second Wheel of Time book. Blah. There's other books I would rather read. Like Cold Days again.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I have put Cold Days on my wishlist for christmas, so I have to wait at least for christmas before I can read it. fortunately I have sherlock holmes (complete works) to keep me company in the cold winter months
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...