New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Homebrew: Taking Requests

Quote Originally Posted by Climowitz View Post
    Ok, help me with this. I'm currently trying to do a Base Class around Sneak Attack and shadow illusions. The idea behind it is to be a person who can cast mirror images or shadow duplicates of himself and flank to sneak attack his opponents. It should be a high risk high reward, so little hp (1d4) and shadow themed abilities to help him avoid hits and increase effectiveness of his sneak attacks.
    Isn't that basically just Arcane Trickster and/or Unseen Seer?

(... or Swordsage with a custom Discipline, or the Arcane variant, or ...)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Although both options are considerable choices, what im looking for is more flavor to the sinergy between shadows and sneak attack, and abilities that complement each other. Giving the idea that you can either keep your distance to have a constant low dps or risk joining the bsttle up clode so you have a higher reward in damage. I dont want too much spells.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Then do a sneak attack based casting build(wizard+unseen seer) that take more dips in sneak attack classes(such as sneak attack fighter and rogue) so that you have less casting and more damage.
    If you want non casting stealth on that build you can take dark creature template(that is explicitly a valid substitute to a class level)
    The close up/far away is already done if you use casting due to the whole sneak attack gish vs sneak attack casting.
    Furthermore if you started digging through the whole internet for the class you want to have you might find some people who did it(probably 20 persons since that is a common theme)
    Last edited by noob; 2017-12-15 at 12:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Although both options are considerable choices, what im looking for is more flavor to the sinergy between shadows and sneak attack, and abilities that complement each other. Giving the idea that you can either keep your distance to have a constant low dps or risk joining the bsttle up clode so you have a higher reward in damage. I dont want too much spells.
    Something like a Shadowcaster from Tome of Magic, but with Bard spell progression, and rogue abilities?
    I am:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

I’d like to see a CHA-based full manifester that doesn’t suck like the Wilder.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheArcaneCaster View Post
    I’d like to see a CHA-based full manifester that doesn’t suck like the Wilder.
    Is there any way you could be more specific about what you actually want, so that it's not just a psion with "Charisma" in the place of "Intelligence" each time it appears?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Is there any way you could be more specific about what you actually want, so that it's not just a psion with "Charisma" in the place of "Intelligence" each time it appears?
    Oh, sure. How about... a class that taps into the “streams” of magic and psionics? Their schtick would be shaping and altering psionics/magic, with class features that focus on dispelling, buffing, penalizing, and metapsionics/magic. A little like a psionic Incantatrix, but distinctly different and less cheesy.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe have it be a pseudo-Martial, like Clerics are often played as? Make that 3/4 BAB actually do something... Psicrystal as a weapon or shield would be a decent table-filler.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll try again. I would like a Base Class, base around the True Names of things, please don't refrain me to the Truenamer cause it sucks and lacks the poetry of truenames. If you read it, what im talking about is a Namer from the Kingkiller Chronicle, like Elodin and Kvothe. Basically once it learns the True Name of something, it gives them control over it. Like the name of the wind, the name of the first book. Although they also mention the name of the fire, and the name of the steel. Learning names as the class progress is the logic choice. But how can you divide that progress between the levels, how stronger should allow him more control over the things he knows its names.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

I'll try again. I would like a Base Class, base around the True Names of things, please don't refrain me to the Truenamer cause it sucks and lacks the poetry of truenames. If you read it, what im talking about is a Namer from the Kingkiller Chronicle, like Elodin and Kvothe. Basically once it learns the True Name of something, it gives them control over it. Like the name of the wind, the name of the first book. Although they also mention the name of the fire, and the name of the steel. Learning names as the class progress is the logic choice. But how can you divide that progress between the levels, how stronger should allow him more control over the things he knows its names.
    This... sounds like it would just become a spellcaster with a refluff, or maybe a manifester with a refluff. You have some fluff for it, but what would you actually want it to do?

That, honestly, is the problem with a lot of these requests...

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

This... sounds like it would just become a spellcaster with a refluff, or maybe a manifester with a refluff. You have some fluff for it, but what would you actually want it to do?

That, honestly, is the problem with a lot of these requests...
    Advance in knowlegde of true names, perhaps obtaining syllabes from a list to obtain the whole word, gaining control over it, and once the full true name of something is acquired total control over it, for example once the full true name of the fire is learned, it can be pronounced once a day to control fire at will, it could be casting fire descriptor spell at will or a number of times, growing and reducing current fires, adding fire properties to weapons armor and stuff.
    And i would also personally mix it with some flurry of blows to add a martial style, usable when the truenames are not yet known.

Does this helps, or do you have any other questions. Feel free to ask before attempting it, it would become a better work if we work together.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Advance in knowlegde of true names, perhaps obtaining syllabes from a list to obtain the whole word, gaining control over it, and once the full true name of something is acquired total control over it, for example once the full true name of the fire is learned, it can be pronounced once a day to control fire at will, it could be casting fire descriptor spell at will or a number of times, growing and reducing current fires, adding fire properties to weapons armor and stuff.
    And i would also personally mix it with some flurry of blows to add a martial style, usable when the truenames are not yet known.

Does this helps, or do you have any other questions. Feel free to ask before attempting it, it would become a better work if we work together.
    *laughs in Illumian*

Illumians work out pretty well as a basis for this sort of thing, as they have mechanics designed for high versatility by having shenanigans like using Strength for bonus spell slots, and their mechanics make them want four levels in as many classes as they can manage, due to having six basic syllables that get extra effects based on pairs which are gotten for each time you reach 4th level in a class. There's a reason people say they have Favored Class: Multiclass.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Banned

Yeah, there's an issue here.

Either you learn parts of a name as you level up, in which case it's just refluffed spellcasting/SLAcasting, or you learn them Skyrim-style out in the world, in which case it's DM-dependent and that's terrible. So what you're asking for here is basically a caster or manifester with monk abilities.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Either you learn parts of a name as you level up, in which case it's just refluffed spellcasting/SLAcasting, or you learn them Skyrim-style out in the world, in which case it's DM-dependent and that's terrible. So what you're asking for here is basically a caster or manifester with monk abilities.
    Or it can be Illumian: The Class. Because it's not, in universe, impossible for other races to get ahold of the magical language(after all, it was made by amoral non-Illumian Wizards to start with), and Truenaming proper can be a thematic substitute for the true Illumian language.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Or it can be Illumian: The Class. Because it's not, in universe, impossible for other races to get ahold of the magical language(after all, it was made by amoral non-Illumian Wizards to start with), and Truenaming proper can be a thematic substitute for the true Illumian language.
    Right, but illumian: the class is really limited by the lack of things that the sigils can actually do, all told, plus illumian doesn't actually do anything remotely similar to what was described: it provides mostly a bunch of passives and the odd "Spend a spell slot to do something less useful than casting the goddamn spell" abilitiy.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah SLA seems to fit what i want, but not to stick to that only. Access to domain spells as SLA or to some specific list spells as SLA could give a player versatility without creativity, but the part of naming would be pointless. What im looking for is a creative way of making it work without limiting to FoB and Spellcasting. Knowing a name should give more power over it than just spells around it, however access to some spells, could simplify it a bit. Am i making myself clear, im afraid im unable to share my idea.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Request: Unarmed kung fu base class that isn't completely limited by a resource pool but might use one and can deal with a good variety of threats.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2017-12-29 at 01:14 AM.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Request: Unarmed kung fu base class that isn't completely limited by a resource pool but might use one and can deal with a good variety of threats.
    So PF Monk? Or maybe something like this?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    So PF Monk? Or maybe something like this?
    I just want something new within the constraints through the lens of their homebrew design tendencies.

EDIT: Adjusted post.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2017-12-29 at 03:22 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I just want something new within the constraints through the lens of his homebrew design tendencies.
    "His".exe

The solution to your request now comes in hyper, badass but not a hyper and overtly supernatural but whatever flavours.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

So you can't do it? You won't do it? or what?

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

So you can't do it? You won't do it? or what?
    The trouble is, you've asked for something about systematically learning some type of SLAs, which allow you to do some kind of thing, with a specific fluff about words and true names attached. Ignoring the fact that that's literally already the standard truenamer, that's not very much to go on.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

"His".exe

The solution to your request now comes in hyper, badass but not a hyper and overtly supernatural but whatever flavours.
    The last one looks good, but I'll probably have to tone it down in power for my purposes.

Adjusted above post as requested as well.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

...Might I request separating the various clauses/portions of your Amkii's True Immortality (unpierceable immunities, unbreakable revival mechanism and so on) into Salient Divine abilities? Then go edit Amkii's True Immortality into using those Salient Divine abilities instead of having its current single overloaded ability, relying on the way those prerequisites work to gate it behind the players actually being gods themselves (as a flat rule, you need to be at least Divine Rank 1 to have any of those abilities, and Greater Deities only get five of them).

As for Gooddragon's request, my idea of basing it on Illumian works if you're willing to add sigils or just copy a chunk of the mechanics/fluff instead of actually using the existing stuff. There's nothing saying that you can't make words for SLAs, or overhaul the existing ones into stuff that works out better.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Colossus in the Playground

Can I get a class based around short range portals?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Some potential abilities:

#1. "Mirror" portals that act as fundamentally indestructible flat surfaces, allowing for walking on air for flight, blocking line of effect and making instant bridges.
    #2. Higher-level ability to "chain" portals for longer-distance ability use, crunched as treating adjacent portal end points as your space for portal abilities.
    #3. Touch attacks/Ref-save line AoEs by moving portals so that there's some form of inbuilt damage dealing by direct portal application for the sake of combat.

A general suggestion for the crunch is to have the portal capabilities be defined as area of portal surface, so that the crunch for what fits through can scale effectively and somewhat elegantly, as well as removing a lot of the burden of specification on the size of the various flat surfaces. Another thing that the area lets you do is make the amount of stuff you can do with and alongside various actions be fairly open ended, partly constrained by a limit to the number of portals.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Class request: The Fidget Spinnist.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

tongue Re: 3.5 Homebrew: Taking Requests

Hmm, I've got one, but it may turn out to be simply an some SLA's or something, but here goes.

I want a dream mixer, something like in the BFG where he can mix them, blow them eta eta. If that is not enough information I can elaborate and provide examples, but am interested to see what you come out with.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Here are a few things I can come up with for you fine folks:

• Domains

Could you suggest eladrin domain as counterpart to fiendish codex demonic?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Aperture science stopped returning our calls.