New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Waiting for the Barbarians - An Imperial Variant Diplomacy Game

Spoiler
    Show
    Are we using the website Wizard of the Coat suggested in the recruiting thread, or are we just going to PM/e-mail all orders to you? If we're using that site, we need the Game ID (from you, I guess) to submit orders. If we're PMing or e-mailing, disregard this.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

OoC: rtg, yes, we are using that website. Or rather, anyone who wants to is using that website (if they've given me their email address), and everyone else is sending me PMs clearly labeled with the word ORDERS and the acronymized name of the game (WftB).

I haven't set up the game on that site yet, because it wants to know when the first deadline is. I'm holding off on that because we might have to replace Turkey (TheLevite's last post hinted at that, but wasn't explicit about it), and I want everyone to have a chance to submit Spring 1861 orders.
    Ramm in Lords of the Elements
    Russia in The World is Dark

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

3. - Top - End - #33

BlueKnightGuy

Alright, we're back to needing a France again ... *sigh*

Anyone have any ideas?

"I do not know what weapons we will use in World War Three, but in World War Four we will use sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I've e-mailed some folks from my old college's Historical Gaming Society (we used to play A&A: War at Sea, Diplomacy, and stuff like that), so I'm hoping to hear back from at least one of them. Others are welcome to find players, though, since I think most of the people I've talked to started grad school or teaching this year and might not have time to play.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Moody the Wise View Post
    Alright, we're back to needing a France again ... *sigh*

Anyone have any ideas?
    I say we eat fried french and wait???

6. - Top - End - #36

BlueKnightGuy

I think I should change the name of the game to "Waiting for the Full Set of Players."

-Albert Einstein

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Yay, now I can send the exact same message to a third French government.
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

The Turkish Chronicle

New Sultan!

With the death of his father Sultan Ibrahim V has ascended to the throne of Turkey. The chronicle hopes he will be democratic in his governance and diplomatic in his foreign policy. Dealings with valuable neighbors such as Austria and Russia are deemed particularly important.

The Ottoman Herald

New Sultan!

With the ascension of his worshipful father, Sultan Ibrahim the Grand has ascended to the throne of the New Muslim empire. The Herald hopes he will represent the Muslim people of this country in his dealings, particularly in taking back the Holy Land, once a glorius part of our ottoman empire. The infernal British must leave!

OOC: I do not know how to use PMs. Also, are our first orders to be a build, since the map seems to give us no units.
    Last edited by Benj; 2008-09-23 at 08:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Benj View Post
    OOC: I do not know how to use PMs. Also, are our first orders to be a build, since the map seems to give us no units.
    PMs, or Private Messages, are pretty easy. And you just sent me one, so I assume you have since figured it out.

As for the first orders, no, they're Spring 1861, a regular old movement phase. But that's a good point, the map I used in the first post doesn't show units. I've been meaning to get you guys a better map, so thanks for pointing it out.

Try this guy out for size.

If you can't read pdf files, then refer to this page, which lists all starting units in words.

Once the game starts, I'll figure out an easier way to handle all this.
    Last edited by Moody the Wise; 2008-09-23 at 09:56 AM.

-Albert Einstein

10. - Top - End - #40

BlueKnightGuy

So, just to clarify, I had originally wanted orders to be due tomorrow night. However, since we're still looking for another France, orders are no longer due tomorrow night. They'll be due ... at some point, with fair notice, after we get a France.

Thanks for all your patience. I hope this time has allowed you all to come up with truly diabolical plots.

-Albert Einstein

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

...if by diabolical you mean betraying Mexico, then yes :D
    Marshal Josip Broz Tito avatar by Electric_Monkey

12. - Top - End - #42

is the game still alive and looking for replacements?

13. - Top - End - #43

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of the Coat View Post
    is the game still alive and looking for replacements?
    Yes! Or at least, I hope so! If you can find anyone, direct them this way ... we need a France before we can start.

-Albert Einstein

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

I put out an ad on the wizards boards, in the "Coalition Wargame" section. I'd be surprised if no one bites.

Also, if any of you frequent those boards, take a look at the wargame. It's fun.
    Last edited by thevorpalbunny; 2008-09-30 at 12:58 PM.
    Folding@Home

15. - Top - End - #45

BlueKnightGuy

Okay, so! The Squirrel sent me a PM saying he'd come in as France. Expect him to post at some point, and hopefully contact you. Let's give him a few days for diplomacy, and have orders due NEXT Wednesday night, 2300 EST (GMT-5).

If you sent me orders a while back, I still have them sitting safely in a separate folder in my PMs. If you want to submit new orders after negotiating with France, feel free to do so, and if not, I'll use the old ones.

If we've lost you during the wait, even though I'll be disappointed, please let me know.

-Albert Einstein

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Les République

The new leader of France addressed the nation in his first public appearance yesterday. Despite the numerous cryptic comments he made, perhaps the most surprising revelation was that he appears to be a squirrel. During the speech, he claimed to have seen the future and proclaimed that "the future of France is tomorrow, not yesterday..." The squirrel claimed that in the future a man named Napoleon would lead France to glorious victory. After a high ranking general informed him that these events have already happened, the squirrel excitedly exclaimed, "You've foreseen it too? Great! I'm renaming you Napoleon. Go to victory!" After this the new leader laid out his plans whereby the army would now travel with barrels several meters in diameter. When questioned upon this he replied that he predicted giant tanks rolling across Europe dominating any who would oppose. "It's foolproof!"
    Among other numerous changes he proclaimed that the new national flag would be solid white, "to represent the blinding light of our new empire, already two victories this year!" apparently counting his succession over the French failed governments as victories.
    In a more somber note he publicly requested that the British empire, in a show of peaceful intentions, either extradite or rename anyone with the surname Eisenhower. The rationale for this is that he foresaw a successful amphibious assault on French soil by British troops under the command of a 'General Eisenhower'.

((on a more practical note, do I have fleet in Cochinchina (CCH)? The map says I have something there, but the deployments say I don't.))
    eez good day to make boom, yes? - docktor boom

17. - Top - End - #47

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
    ((on a more practical note, do I have fleet in Cochinchina (CCH)? The map says I have something there, but the deployments say I don't.))
    Yeah, that's odd. I'm going to go with the map and say yes, you have a fleet there.

-Albert Einstein

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, that's odd. I'm going to go with the map and say yes, you have a fleet there.
    All the better to set up that whole Dien Bien Phu/First Indochina War thing for you, Monsieur Squirrel.

Also, for those who've yet to do so, the glorious Confederacy is still open to diplomatic envoys from nations near and far. There's no risk in at least making contact!
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2008-10-05 at 12:07 AM.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

(Has that website been set up yet?)
    Folding@Home

20. - Top - End - #50

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thevorpalbunny View Post
    (Has that website been set up yet?)
    Yes! If you sent me your email, which you have, you should have gotten an email from the website with instructions on how to use it. If you didn't ... well, then I don't know what to tell you. Did anybody receive this email? The players I listed on the website - those that sent me their email addresses - were Wiz, silent hunter, drum-n-bass, trogador, you, and bitzeralisis (and me).

You can't go wrong with submitting your orders to me via PM, though, if you're worried about them getting in. I have a separate folder for them and everything - as soon as I get them, I mark them as read, move them to this folder, and forget about them. Out of sight, out of mind.

-Albert Einstein

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

(Oh, it got filtered. Probably not a problem.)
    Folding@Home

22. - Top - End - #52

BlueKnightGuy

Everyone, please try to remember to submit orders tonight. Since a 24-hour reminder is sort of the standard, and I didn't give it, I'll PM everyone who doesn't submit orders by tonight and give them 24 hours to respond, adjudicating the turn tomorrow night.

If you've gotten an email from the website and you think you understand how to submit orders there, go for it. If you're unsure, submit them to me by PM to be safe. If you didn't give me your email address, just submit them by PM. Please include the word ORDERS in the title of the message so that I know what you're sending me isn't just correspondence between us.

-Albert Einstein

23. - Top - End - #53

Everyone, please try to remember to submit orders tonight. Since a 24-hour reminder is sort of the standard, and I didn't give it, I'll PM everyone who doesn't submit orders by tonight and give them 24 hours to respond, adjudicating the turn tomorrow night.

If you've gotten an email from the website and you think you understand how to submit orders there, go for it. If you're unsure, submit them to me by PM to be safe. If you didn't give me your email address, just submit them by PM. Please include the word ORDERS in the title of the message so that I know what you're sending me isn't just correspondence between us.
    I'd opt for a postponement as I was barely aware that we restarted...and have not been able to negotiate with anyone. (i have some orders in, but they really are a reserve option I'd rather not use)

Also and maybe because it's been postponed and I'm doing other things I'm just not feeling the buzz anymore, so I might pull out soon because it's probably not fun to play against me if I'm just not interested. Essentially I'll wait a few days to see if I get interested again (postponing might help there (not sure)), but I'll let you all know soon if you'll need to replace me.

Just thought it'd be fair to let you know.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-10-09 at 03:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of the Coat View Post
    I'd opt for a postponement as I was barely aware that we restarted...and have not been able to negotiate with anyone. (i have some orders in, but they really are a reserve option I'd rather not use)

Also and maybe because it's been postponed and I'm doing other things I'm just not feeling the buzz anymore, so I might pull out soon because it's probably not fun to play against me if I'm just not interested. Essentially I'll wait a few days to see if I get interested again (postponing might help there (not sure)), but I'll let you all know soon if you'll need to replace me.

Just thought it'd be fair to let you know.
    Hmm ... who else feels this way? Is this game dead before it starts? I don't blame anyone if it is. I don't want to try to force people to play if nobody's heart is really in it.

Is everyone even aware the game is still going?

Please post to let us all know if you're still here and whether or not you still care about the game. If we don't have thirteen, we don't have thirteen, and there's nothing we can do about that. If that's the case, I hope those of you who are or at one point were enthusiastic about this game had fun up to this point, thinking about the challenges and opportunities of the map and scheming to your heart's content.

For now, the game is postponed until further notice, since I'm still missing at least one set of orders, and there's little point in starting a game with a first-turn NMR.

-Albert Einstein

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

I'm still around and ready to play. I'm subscribed and I already sent in my orders, so I'm ready whenever everyone else is.

Homebrew:
    Homebrew Compendium

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Still here, still interested.
    Folding@Home

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Still playing as well.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Still here, still interested.
    Silent Hunter
    Troper
    My blog

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

The French foreign minister informed the international community that the squirrel was not available for comment but assured everyone that if his presence was required he could probably be found rummaging around in one of the local college's waste bins.
    eez good day to make boom, yes? - docktor boom

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Still present