New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: "I Saw This Movie One Time, Years Ago...."

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    I'm just stumped as to why it would have been on TV all those years ago. Especially South African TV. The mind boggles.
    Back when it was released (1979), animated feature films for children were few and far between, so anything that could be translated and syndicated was picked up.

There are quite a few people who have seen Uproar in Heaven, despite it never having been given a dub (all dialogue is in the original Mandarin) with a over-dubbed narrator for all its foreign country releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    You said possibly British and boarding school.
    Using that criteria, anything from Tom Brown's School Days to The Belles of St Trinian's fits the bill. May I suggest paying a little more attention to the initial post be useful in providing more helpful suggestions?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-11-09 at 07:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Oh wow. Y'know, this looks so familiar. Going through some stills, this might very well be it. Especially that lotus scene I mentioned.

I'm just stumped as to why it would have been on TV all those years ago. Especially South African TV. The mind boggles.

Thanks in any case, I think that's the one.
    Well, it is supposedly quite an important animation, won an award or something. Plus from what I've heard about South African tv, especially in regards to cartoons, they will show some pretty random stuff.

My south african friend once admitted to having watched a show called "Dinosaucers", and I laughed mightily. I laughed all the harder after looking it up and finding it not only existed but was as crazy looking as it sounds.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hey Siuis and Tiki -- was the movie: Almost Dead?

http://www.geocities.ws/moviesandmore4u/almostdead.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, that sounds pretty promising. Have we finally cracked it, Siuis?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Using that criteria, anything from Tom Brown's School Days to The Belles of St Trinian's fits the bill. May I suggest paying a little more attention to the initial post be useful in providing more helpful suggestions?
    That's Dr. Epic Fail for you.

Hm, can we do games too?
    There's an old Sega Megadrive game I loved and no matter how hard I try I can't track it down again.
    Sidescroller, and there is only one detail I remember for certain: at the very end of an early level, I believe the second, is a catapult. Next to it a sign with a big red arrow pointing downward. If you push the down button when standing there, you jump onto the catapult and it launches you to enter the next level, which I believe was a castle you saw in the background before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it one of the Golden Axe games?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh man, check this out:

1. I have had zero luck finding an example of an old line of steakhouse commercials (as in, mid-90's) where there's this hardboiled cowboy perched over a campfire, telling us about how great the food is at that restraunt. One commercial, he's sitting in a spring, scraping his stubble with a bowie knife. SSSSKRITCH! He tells us he's gettin "spruced up" to go have a prime rib or something.

Can anyone find an example of these commercials? I thought it might be black angus, but searches for 'black angus cowboy' don't seem to accomplish anything.

2. I remember watching a martial arts flick set in Hong Kong. The introductory chunk of the movie showed the protagonist fighting his way through the lobby of a posh skyscraper, countered by a veritable army of security guards. It had a 45 degree action shot to demonstrate two enemies floored by a split kick. He defeated what looks like the whole entire precinct by tying them up into a long human chain and then going to the top floor unchallenged.

Towards the end, he was fighting an American with greasy blonde hair and a priceless voiceover, like a 1930's mobster. I believe it was exactly this: "N'yaw, I'm gonna make a lotta money, see! N'yaw!" The fight concludes with the American getting punted down a hill and crushing his throat on a bicycle rack. That's kinda rough, man.

3. When I was a little kid, I saw a nature documentary about waterfowl. There was this section about the Coot, which is like a duck except with a sort of wispy red mohawk and a black coat--not to be too technical . Anyway, a mating pair of these coots were swimming around with a whole troupe of tiny black uh....cootlings, I guess, following like little black cottonballs. I was totally zoned out, but I remember the narrarator (maybe Attenbrough?) flarfing about something and then my mom going, "Uh oh..."

I was just about to say, 'What?' when the adult coots whirl around and start snapping their offspring's necks, one by one! The show turned into a total snuff film for a minute there, treating us to a lengthy montage of tiny, half paralyzed duckings limping away before getting finished off by the merciless, wrenching beak. Cue the closing shot of one duckling bobbing forlornly, head dangling in the water. So that's kinda rough too.

Anyway, does anyone know what documentary this was from? Nat Geo, Nature, Nova? I'm pretty sure it was on PBS and I was watching it in the mid-90's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0k
    Probability has betrayed me, I thought we had a thing.

President, Founder, and Chairman of the Ya-Ta-Hey! Self-Promotion Club

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    Is it one of the Golden Axe games?
    no, definitely not
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

You are correct in thinking they were Black Angus commercials, at least if you recall the same ones I recall.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Killer! That's definitely one of the ones I had in mind, thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0k
    Probability has betrayed me, I thought we had a thing.

President, Founder, and Chairman of the Ya-Ta-Hey! Self-Promotion Club

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've just read through the whole thread, and it's already managed to give me few nice tips on what to watch next, a big thanks to you all

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I saw the old movie that is similiar to Romeo Juliet but it is about two clans of small people who battle eachother. When these small people dies, they turn into dust. They live in a garden, owned by a large human.
    Say, that sounds a lot like The Magical Legend Of The Leprechauns. It's Hallmark, too!

(I remembered that because Colm Meaney was in it )

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    My south african friend once admitted to having watched a show called "Dinosaucers", and I laughed mightily. I laughed all the harder after looking it up and finding it not only existed but was as crazy looking as it sounds.
    Dinosaucers was awesome

Animation on SA TV was kinda schizophrenic yeah, but it was really all Western stuff. The one exception was Heidi, which I only recently found out was originally Japanese. I'm still surprised they picked up something as, er... out of the ordinary as Nezha.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Dinosaucers was awesome

Animation on SA TV was kinda schizophrenic yeah, but it was really all Western stuff. The one exception was Heidi, which I only recently found out was originally Japanese. I'm still surprised they picked up something as, er... out of the ordinary as Nezha.
    It sounded even more hilarious than it actually is when it was first described, because the way it was pronounced I thought it was Dinosorcerers, and it would have been about Dinosaur Wizard Cyborgs from Outer Space.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    Hm, can we do games too?
    There's an old Sega Megadrive game I loved and no matter how hard I try I can't track it down again.
    Sidescroller, and there is only one detail I remember for certain: at the very end of an early level, I believe the second, is a catapult. Next to it a sign with a big red arrow pointing downward. If you push the down button when standing there, you jump onto the catapult and it launches you to enter the next level, which I believe was a castle you saw in the background before.
    This seems reeeally familiar. Is there anything else you recall about it? Even wild guesses might be helpful. General Art-Style? Time Period? Main Character?
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-11-13 at 11:45 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

I think the figure you controlled was human. The art style was colorful and at the higher end of what the platform had. I have the vaguest feeling you were traveling through time, but the level I described was medieval. I haven't the slightest idea how you fought enemies, but if I have to guess it was with some ranged attack and not jumping on them like in some other games.

I tried googling with what I remember dozens of times, but even looking at a video with a screenshot of every single Megadrive game didn't help. If you solve this I'll sing praises on your name in my signature for a month.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fragenstein View Post
    Hey Siuis and Tiki -- was the movie: Almost Dead?

http://www.geocities.ws/moviesandmore4u/almostdead.htm
    Holy smokes! There's a god chance this is it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geocities
    Surprise ending I don't want to spoil
    Dang it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Netflix
    No search results found
    Dang it!

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Holy smokes! There's a god chance this is it!

Dang it.

Dang it!
    Amazon has it on VHS for under six bucks... if you still have a tape player laying around. Or you could read the book it's based on; “Resurrection” by William M. Valtos.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

This one is a movie I haven't seen, I only saw a trailer for it, but I can't remember the title and I wanna learn more about it because it's an intriguing concept:

The movie's some kind of horror or thriller flick where a woman moves into an apartment that's infamous for a previous tenant that committed suicide in it. Shortly after this, she receives a phone call from a distraught woman and she talks the woman out of it. The woman on the other line turns out to have been the tenant that killed herself, and the protagonist has thus changed history by talking her down from suicide.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help the previous tenant's mental state much, as she becomes obsessed with this strange ability to call the future and alter history according to her whims. She begins screwing with the protagonist's past, making it so her friends never met her, and other such things, one of the best examples being when she calls the protagonist and reveals she's found the protagonist as a child. After hearing her past self on the phone, the protagonist screams as the tenant dumps boiling water on her past self, burn scars appearing on her body as history rewrites itself.

Those are the bits that stick out the most in my mind, but I have no idea what the movie was called or who starred in it. I think the trailer was an ad before a YouTube video, either back in college or just after it, so I'm guessing it was somewhere between 2007 and 2010, as I know I didn't hear about it last year.

Any help?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

18. - Top - End - #198

Sounds like The Caller.

Made in 2009, shelved, and then finally released in 2011. It's possible that it wasn't the only movie of the time with a simlar plot, however.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing how good the playgrounders are at finding these sorts of things, I thought I'd ask for a bit of help. There are two books that I read when I was a kid, and I've been trying to remember the titles and authors for years to no avail.

The first one had a world where certain people had 'talents'(not sure if that was the exact word for it) that allowed them to do unique magical things. There was a blind knife thrower who could see with his talent, possibly with some sort of limited telepathy, I don't remember. He served as the mentor to the main character, who didn't have a talent. Of course, it turns out that he did in fact have a talent that he was unaware of, the power over elements. Throughout the book he saved the heroes with his talent without knowing that he was doing so. For instance, they were being attacked by a swarm of insects, and water bubbled out of a nearby hill and washed them away. I think they were on a quest to save the world. That's basically all I can remember, but maybe it's enough to go on?

I remember even less about the second book, which makes it all the more frustrating to me. All I know is that the main character was a somewhat loudmouthed, mean-spirited young girl who was, along with some other children(two boys, I think? One with blond hair, one with black), supposed to save the world(this seems like a common theme). I think they were being raised by a wizard of sorts, and there was a friendly chimera who helped them along and guarded them. The chimera ended up dying because of a mistake the main character made, saving them all in the process. At the end, the girl ended up talking to the main villain, who I remember being particularly evil and cool, and engaging in a battle of wits. I don't remember the outcome of their meeting. Unfortunately, that's all I remember.

Hopefully someone can help me remember these, so I can get them out of my head. If not, I'll just have to keep searching.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Brilliant American McGee's Alice avatar by the fantastic Paisley

Previous Avatar by the wonderful Strawberries:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

It sounds like something out of the Xanth series, but I couldn't locate the specific book.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

It's not Xanth, because I've actually read Xanth and I'm familiar with it. I can see the connection with the Chimera, but it's something else.

...I think.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Weasel View Post
    It's not Xanth, because I've actually read Xanth and I'm familiar with it. I can see the connection with the Chimera, but it's something else.

...I think.
    It's mostly the talent per person sort of magic that triggered the Xanth bell. But such a system could easily not be exclusive to the series.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Was the second book one of the A Wrinkle in Time sequels?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

My Google-Fu tells me, the book you are looking for is The Blade of the Poisoner by Douglas Hill.
    I could be wrong. It's not like I could even find a synopsis.

Apparently, there was a sequel and possibly a radio-adaption for BBC Radio.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Yes! That's it! God, I've been looking for it for years. Many thanks, Tiki Snakes.

As for the second one, I don't think it was one the Wrinkle in Time books, because it was definitely Fantasy, with magic and such, whereas the Wrinkle books were more science fiction, weren't they? There was sword fighting, and possibly clashing armies, in the book I read. Sigh. With the little I remember of it, I'm not hopeful of it being found. Thanks for trying, though.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, right, the second book description was a whole different series you were after? I thought that was just your recollection of the second book in the poison thingy series.

Edit- Going to need more identifying features to work with. Remember anything specific about the wizard, or the villain or something?
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-11-21 at 10:37 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

My all time best guess. A friend asked about "that movie about that guy". Which was, of course, The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across The 8th Dimension. And tables turned, I saw a commercial for Videodrome in 1980. I didn't find out what the movie was until 1997.

My only unknown film is far too many years, and far too vague. Seen on TV '82-84ish. Young boy alone in a house. Walks across shallow water to a forest, where he sees the graves of his parents. I know nothing about it, but that image still stays with me.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

On reflection, I think it was some sort of enclave of wizards rather than a single one, although there was one main leader. The setting was fairly grimdark, with the villain's army overrunning the land and the heroes hating one another. Especially the heroine, no one liked her at all because of her antagonistic attitude. The only really specific thing I can remember is the Chimera, which appeared on the book's cover. I feel like it's name might have been Ollie or something similar, but that may be my mind playing tricks on me.

The problem is, I mainly remember the emotions of the story and various fragmented scenes that wouldn't really help to find the book. I realize this is very little to work on, and I don't really expect anyone to find it, but I'm grateful for your efforts.
    ~Sneaky Weasel~

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Halfling in the Playground

Well i hope a kind soul will help me with the title of a comedy i saw more than a decade ago. The main character is a black guy who while on a plane sits next to a white guy who, thinking the plain will crash tells him he's a mob boss who faked his own death. Once they survive he runs away knowing he's marked for what he heard and asks his petite neighbour who's into fat women to mask him and he turns him into a white guy. He comes home and finds a hired killer there who realises it's him due to his black feet. He manages to kill the killer and when the mob boss' aide arrives says he's the hired killer and the dead person is a neighbour who came to feed the fishes. After that i don't remember much.

Edited a misspelling
    Last edited by thisisnotspam; 2012-11-24 at 07:09 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

It's 'True Identity' with Lenny Henry
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem