New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: SCP - Containment Breach

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    I really like the one vending machine (SCP-289 I think?); but mostly because reading the experiment logs with all the snacks they came up was amusing. I like SCP-50 for the same reason, reading all the pranks was fun.
    Prangles. They had to pry the canister away from the corpse of the Delta because she wouldn't stop eating them after she died.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Is it just me, or are most of the humanoid SCPs dreadfully boring?
    I recommend you look up SCP-531. It's a funny little side-story about a declassified reality-warping 19-year old stereotype who is brutally slain by one of the personnel working at the Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Great Modthulhu: Mod powers activate! Form of a thread relocation!
    That would explain why this thread is in Media Discussions, had a new name, and was a thread I never recalled clicking on (yet had been clicked on).

I've got a couple ideas for SCPs that I'll submit some time.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The SCP Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    I found the SCP Wiki a couple weeks ago and have been reading it ever since. I'll add my vote for favorite so far to The Stairwell - it was really hard to walk down the stairs to my room that night.
    ****, that was scary... I won't sleep tonight. Thanks.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    ****, that was scary... I won't sleep tonight. Thanks.
    Oh, the Stairwell is scary, I'll give you that. But there's worse out there. Allow me to introduce you to SCP-701: The Hanged King's Tragedy.

I am a friend who didn't sleep for two days after reading that one (and then had nightmares when he did).

Personally, I prefer the stairwell though.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: SCP - Containment Breach

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    I recommend you look up SCP-531. It's a funny little side-story about a declassified reality-warping 19-year old stereotype who is brutally slain by one of the personnel working at the Foundation.
    Heh, that really was pretty good.

I'm glad that it doesn't show up all over the place all the time, but it's interesting to occasionally see how the different SCPs can be creatively played against each other.
    High School Harem Comedy, my original game system!

5. - Top - End - #95
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Helanna View Post
    I found the SCP Wiki a couple weeks ago and have been reading it ever since. I'll add my vote for favorite so far to The Stairwell - it was really hard to walk down the stairs to my room that night.

Is there a simple run-down of the recurring characters on the site? Particularly Bright, Clef, and Krow? I get a lot of hints and pieces, but I'm confused as to where they started and what they're doing. I think I get that Clef is supposed to be very mysterious and will never have an actual explanation for anything, but is there an explanation as to why Bright keeps switching bodies?
    Yes, read the entry on SCP-963. That's the amulet that is linked to Bright. As for the rest of them, you can read their Personnel pages for a rundown of the characters. The people who share the character's names are mostly different...though Bright is as much a curmudgeon as Dr. Bright.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh? Dr. Bright's (technically) not an SCP...his schtick has been there since the very beginning, he was technically 'killed' in backstory before ever being created.
    Are you sure? I remember when I first went to the site, I read about Dr. Bright, and I read all the stories available, and then around the beginning of this year I went back to the site, and there were a couple of new stories, the latest one that had him in that alternate world or whatever with him dying due to whatever(It's been a while). I've been patiently waiting for him to come back, because that story kind of left it open that he would eventually recover and probably get out. *Keep in mind, that when I first visited the site, there were no SCP's on the 1000's yet, I'm not even sure if the 900's had been fully filled out yet.

On another note, why can't you rate up/down on that site, even after signing up? Do you have to be a contributor to the site in some sort of way? I signed up because I really wanted to rate a couple of stories up(they were apparently not well known, one had no likes or dislikes at all on it, and I thought it was superb), but it said I wasn't allowed to ><
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-10-27 at 08:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Are you sure? I remember when I first went to the site, I read about Dr. Bright, and I read all the stories available, and then around the beginning of this year I went back to the site, and there were a couple of new stories, the latest one that had him in that alternate world or whatever with him dying due to whatever(It's been a while). I've been patiently waiting for him to come back, because that story kind of left it open that he would eventually recover and probably get out.
    Remember that Nothing Is Canon. Dr. Bright was created with SCP-963. There are a number of tales featuring him, some of which might end up with him dying and left on a cliffhanger because the author was going to write more about him, but continuity as far as Tales go in the Foundation is only what you choose. There's also the Classical Revival series of stories someone is writing that gives the Foundation a 'Gritty Reboot', which also re-invents Bright.

On another note, why can't you rate up/down on that site, even after signing up? Do you have to be a contributor to the site in some sort of way? I signed up because I really wanted to rate a couple of stories up(they were apparently not well known, one had no likes or dislikes at all on it, and I thought it was superb), but it said I wasn't allowed to ><
    Did you join Wikidot and the Foundation site both?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-10-27 at 08:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Remember that Nothing Is Canon. Dr. Bright was created with SCP-963. There are a number of tales featuring him, some of which might end up with him dying and left on a cliffhanger because the author was going to write more about him, but continuity as far as Tales go in the Foundation is only what you choose. There's also the Classical Revival series of stories someone is writing that gives the Foundation a 'Gritty Reboot', which also re-invents Bright.
    I think my favorite thing I've seen on the site is the things Dr. Bright is not allowed to do at the Foundation.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    I think my favorite thing I've seen on the site is the things Dr. Bright is not allowed to do at the Foundation.
    I listed those off to some friends yesterday. Lemme list my favorites.

• 7) While it is true that "No one expects the SCP Inquisition!", that is only because there is no such thing.
    • 34) No longer allowed to make up jodies for morning calisthenics. 34.1) Yes, this includes The Mickey Mouse Club song.
    • 36) Dr. Bright is not from an alternate timeline. 36.1) Dr. Bright cannot override orders to "preserve the timeline".
    • 42) Chainsaws are not the solution to every question. 42.1) Nor is 'More Chainsaws'. 42.2) Or "Chainsaw cannons"
    • 52) "Accidentally" spilling green gelatin on a dead body in the presence of the O5 was funny exactly once, and the smell of excrement exuding from O5-2's khakis spoiled the moment.
    • 63) Dr. Bright is not the Lord of Rodly Might. 63.1) And is hereby banned from playing Dungeons and Dragons making use of SCPs to 'simulate the real danger.' 63.2) Dr. Bright may not play Dungeons and Dragons with humanoid any SCP objects.
    • 91) Dr. Bright is not allowed to upload visual memetic kill agents to 4chan 7chan any imageboard. 91.1) Well, okay, maybe to 4chan. It'd be doing the gene pool a service.
    • 96) Just because Bright is a doctor does not mean that he is the Doctor, no matter how many British men he possesses. 96.1) No, SCP-963 is not proof against this. 96.2) Nor is any structure that results from placing SCP-184 inside of a police call box. 96.3) Tying up female members of the staff and calling them "companions" is right out.
    • 106) Dr. Bright is not allowed to play SCP-682 any Uwe Boll movies. 106.1) The same goes for The Room. 106.2) And Troll 2. 106.3) And Manos: The Hands of Fate Dr. Bright is not allowed to show SCP-682 ANY bad movies.
    • 119) Dr. Bright is not allowed to get on the PA system at site 19 and announce that he just won "The Game" You know what, Dr. Bright is just never allowed on the PA system for any reason, ever.
    • 144) Dr. Bright is not allowed to use SCP-914 to craft items from Team Fortress 2. 144.1) Yes, a Medigun would be a useful tool for the Foundation medical staff. No, we are not going to waste any more SCP-500 attempting to make one, especially not after SCP-427. 144.2) Dr. Bright is not allowed to use SCP-914 to craft items from Minecraft, either. Also, your "Diamond Pickaxe" has been confiscated.
    • 163.1) Under no circumstances allowed to expose SCP-137 to Warhammer 40K minifigures. Again. Not even in an attempt to terminate SCP-682
    • 167) Able is not Kratos. 167.1) Dr. Bright is not allowed to expose SCP-137 to God of War figurines.
    • 186) SCP-963 is not a "Millennium" item.
    • 187) Dr. Bright should refrain from trying to convince SCP-237 to become a "Brony". 187.1) Not even to improve his disposition. 187.2) For that matter, trying to make SCP-042 a Brony will just make things worse.
    • 205) SCP-173 is not a babysitter. Having SCP-173 play 'Where's the baby?' is downright cruel. Not, as Dr. Bright claims, '[EXPLETIVE REDACTED] hilarious.'
    • 207.3) SCP-682 does not have a "Cutie Mark" either.
    • 208) Playing the song "Thriller" in the presence of SCP-008 victims is expressly forbidden. 208.1) Letting out SCP-008 victims and punching them "to simulate Minecraft" is also forbidden. 208.2) Pushing several agents in front of SCP-008 victims "to simulate Resident Evil" is not a valid excuse, either. 208.3) Dr. Bright is no longer allowed near victims of SCP-008.
    • 239) Dr. Bright is not allowed to set SCP-096 as his "spraypaint image" in Counter-Strike.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Did you join Wikidot and the Foundation site both?
    Oh, crap. I think it may have just been wikidot >< how do I join the foundation as well though?? I've only ever seen the sign up for Wikidot.

edit: Wow, that list of things Dr. Bright is never allowed to do is freaking hilarious! How in the world did I ever miss that?
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-10-28 at 01:46 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101

Oh, crap. I think it may have just been wikidot >< how do I join the foundation as well though?? I've only ever seen the sign up for Wikidot.

edit: Wow, that list of things Dr. Bright is never allowed to do is freaking hilarious! How in the world did I ever miss that?
    http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/system:join

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

woot! Thank you Modthulu! Now I can finally rate up my favorite SCPs! Including the one that first introduced me to the site, SCP-610. Love that one!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

woot! Thank you Modthulu! Now I can finally rate up my favorite SCPs! Including the one that first introduced me to the site, SCP-610. Love that one!
    610 is my first, as well as the creepiest. A virus that infects people, mutates them into grotesque forms, and completely overrides their thinking process? I mistook it as a lethal virus that kills you after the mutation, but after reading over the field reports, I realized this is a virus that continues to procreate and act as some twisted, Flood-like society.

610 is, in a sense, Necromorphs or the Flood. It's that simple.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Also because it was typo-ridden and basically just a copypaste out of the Indiana Jones movie script. At least, that's what I remember of two or three different Holy Grail SCPs, all of which were equally bad. Just saying.
    Still better than that ****ing lizard.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd really like to thank you guys for showing me this site.

I was up until 4am reading last night, I think. After my unfortunate run-in with the SCP-106 page, I decided to turn on the chrome image blocker app

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Opperhapsen View Post
    Still better than that ****ing lizard.
    Then you should go make your Foundation. With blackjack. And hookers. And where hundreds of people don't disagree about what's good or not. That's the beauty of the open-voting system, if you don't like an SCP you can always downvote it...you'd be in good company here, Dr. Bright also dislikes 682 according to the vote log.

Also, you might want to check the descriptors on SCPs more carefully - you complain about 682 being invincible to the point of being shot into space and surviving, but the Sun Launcher is a -J. Unless I'm missing the obvious and it's simply leftover resentment from having one of your SCPs (a Holy Grail, maybe?) deleted, in which case...meh?
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-10-28 at 11:50 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yes, read the entry on SCP-963. That's the amulet that is linked to Bright. As for the rest of them, you can read their Personnel pages for a rundown of the characters. The people who share the character's names are mostly different...though Bright is as much a curmudgeon as Dr. Bright.
    Ah, thanks. I don't necessarily mind cross-references between various characters and SCPs, it makes it feel like more of a community (and sometimes more realistic), but it does make it difficult to get started sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    Alright, that's definitely my new favorite page on the site.

18. - Top - End - #108

You won't have much trouble there, really...Dr Bright and 963 are the only real 'crossover', because 963 is Bright for all intent and purposes. Many other staff members, Senior or otherwise, might be mentioned, but they're not in any way integral.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

There are a few things of note:

Dr. Clef is a dead serious reality warper. He's not kept under an SCP doctrine because of his rather clever methods of dealing with them.

Dr. Kondraki is the nerdy, slightly off-kilter O5 at the Foundation. His history has included riding 682 to defeat a vampiric SCP, for example.

Dr. Bright is Dr. Bright. He uses memetic kill agents as Counter-strike sprays, plays bad movies to 682, and hires 173 as a babysitter.

Dr. Rights is the more moral of the O5s. She's caring, careful, and doesn't deal with Keter-class SCPs. In fact, most of her record is Safe and more stable Euclid SCPs.

Dr. Gears is a pile of fun. Most of his SCPs range from weird to crazy. Most of his recorded SCPs involve (you guessed it) gears.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

That containment breach game is one of the scariest things I've ever seen in my life. I never really cared much for the blinky statue, until I played the game. Now it's reached a whole new level of horror.

I also have a fondness for religious-type SCP articles. Clef's proposal for 001, for example. SCP-1348 is incredibly well-written and researched. If you read the comments, there's like 10 religious easter eggs hidden in the article. The same guy who wrote that also wrote SCP-1272, a space-time anomaly, and a wonderful effort in mind-screwery.

The City of the Sun is also great. Empty spaces just do it for me, and the idea that there's a whole civilisation just outside our perception, and it seems like they're preparing for war... that just gets me.

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Dr. Gears is a pile of fun. Most of his SCPs range from weird to crazy. Most of his recorded SCPs involve (you guessed it) gears.
    And most of the tales featuring him are surprisingly poignant. Gears (the author) is a great writer.

Edit: Also I'm almost entirely certain I once saw an entry written by "TheGlyphstone". Who else here is a writer on there?
    Last edited by Feytalist; 2012-10-29 at 03:49 AM.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Then you should go make your Foundation. With blackjack. And hookers. And where hundreds of people don't disagree about what's good or not. That's the beauty of the open-voting system, if you don't like an SCP you can always downvote it...you'd be in good company here, Dr. Bright also dislikes 682 according to the vote log.

Also, you might want to check the descriptors on SCPs more carefully - you complain about 682 being invincible to the point of being shot into space and surviving, but the Sun Launcher is a -J. Unless I'm missing the obvious and it's simply leftover resentment from having one of your SCPs (a Holy Grail, maybe?) deleted, in which case...meh?
    Never wrote one, I do not have the writing chops.

I think you should read the comments, or anything else really.
    People have suggested numerous ways to kill it and been met with "Nuh uh".

682 is bad.
    The fact that it gets mentioned in about 30 other SCPs is silly.
    Abel is the suest thing to ever sue
    The hamster that teleports your eyeballs is bad.
    Implying I think so due to jealousy is silly.
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2012-10-29 at 05:33 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Regarding the lizard, there is a rather wonderful tale on the site written in the form of Plato's discourses that gives a possible (non-canon) explanation for its origin. Here it is.

The tales are regularly even better than the SCPs themselves.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

Goblin

Dr. Clef is a dead serious reality warper. He's not kept under an SCP doctrine because of his rather clever methods of dealing with them.
    Except when he's not, because he is Satan. Except when he is neither because all files regarding him are corruptued by virus turning everything into mary-sue fanfiction. Such is nature of the site.

Abel is the suest thing to ever sue
    He gets much more better when you realize that he is

Spoiler
    Show
    The player character

And honestly, I seen some other sues on the site, among those Foundation murdered, he ain't so bad compared to them.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    He gets much more better when you realize that he is

Spoiler
    Show
    The player character
    Where you got that?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Where you got that?
    It's rather obvious when you think about his traits and abilities.

Genocidal tendencies, terminally bored unless he can do violence, hammerspace armoury, near-indestructible, periodically respawns.

It's obviously never explicitly stated, but the site's comments about him essentially boils down to "every computer game player character, ever".

Except maybe Barbie Horse Adventures. And even then only maybe.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post

Genocidal tendencies, terminally bored unless he can do violence, hammerspace armoury, near-indestructible, periodically respawns.

It's obviously never explicitly stated, but the site's comments about him essentially boils down to "every computer game player character, ever".

You sir have made my day, thank you!
    Last edited by Wookieetank; 2012-10-29 at 09:45 AM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

I particulary like 682, myself. Especially because it gets crossed over with loads of SCPs; it's all grist to the mill of making the whole site seem more alive (and adding some rather black humour as well, like some of the other entires), rather than just a series of (often very creepy, admittedly) entries. (And there's more to scary than creepy-scary; hard-scary is still scary, but in a different way (though, granted, hard-scary is not very horror-scary, which is why I can see why people might not like it as much.)

I always think there should be a good villain somewhere in anything, and I think 682 is as good as you can get for that sort of role as far as it can go go in SCP. Most of the other sentient (and hostle SCPs) strike me more as monsters than villains, but 682 - quite capable of talking too (well, inflicting dire imprecations on...) - everyone rises it up to villains status, as it were (especially since it seems to escape on a semi-regular basis...!) It strikes me as something of a good nemesis to the SCP. 682 seems like more of a character (like the various Doctors) than a just an entry, and I like that. (Though, of course, milage may vary whether you think that is a good thing or not, of course.)

And, yes, I do happen to a) feel some kinship with a fellow immortal evil-doer and b) frankly, find the idea of a highly intelligent, reptilian, non-humanoid practically indestructible, inimical killing machine is just freakin' Awesome.

I also rather liked the whole incidents thing, as well (like the one where Dr. Kondraki rode said 682 to kill a vampire. I mean, that resulted in a vampire getting killed in the face, how could I not?) Again, I really think they bring the whole site to life and make it more vibrant.

28. - Top - End - #118

And the best part is that if you read more into 682 and accept various bits of extraneous material as canon, you find that it's not actually evil. It just finds every living thing in our universe unbearable, revoltingly disgusting and terrifying to the point where it's effectively in a non-stop panic reaction, the only way it can cope is by lashing out and destroying the source of its disgust (i.e., everything). You hate it, and despise it, and want it dead, but at the same time, you have to pity it just a little.

As for Able...yeah, his overpoweredness is well-known. There's even a semi-official rule called 'The Able Line', indicating that if your humanoid SCP is cooler/more powerful than Able, it is bad and will be deleted. Able is bad, and used as the threshhold between 'bad' and 'excessively bad'. As said, it's a sort-of-serious joke that if Able was submitted today, he would be deleted as a stupid overpowered Sue.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-10-29 at 10:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

I gave the SCPs another shot today.
    Gotta say, a lot of mehs, but then I found 1055.

SCP 1055 is the neatest thing to ever be neat.
    I will disagree vehemently with anyone who argues otherwise.
    Spoiler
    Show

It takes everything I dislike about SCPs and turns it on its head.

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post

Hey.
    Hey.
    Hey.

I have never committed genocide in a video game unless I was explicitly rewarded for doing so.
    Last edited by Opperhapsen; 2012-10-29 at 11:25 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Only LA Noire punished me for being an *******! Every other game says "thanks for the population control!"