New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: We're going for the record! Small World for 55+ hours. 1-3 August

But to look on the bright side, you probably have the UK record and there's a bunch of kids in Scotland whose lives are a little brighter for your attempt.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    Seems there was another attempt to break the record in early June, where there were a couple of guys who played a game called Stat-o-Rama for about 60 hours. Guinness hasn't accepted their claim yet, but we don't know if it's still processing or if it's been rejected.
    If you'd known about that in advance, would you have been able to make the extra 6 hours or so to surpass their time as well?

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    But to look on the bright side, you probably have the UK record and there's a bunch of kids in Scotland whose lives are a little brighter for your attempt.
    I'm actually not too worried about the record. it would be cool if we got it, but if we don't then that's ok as well.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If you'd known about that in advance, would you have been able to make the extra 6 hours or so to surpass their time as well?
    I don't think we would have been able to do that.
    However, in the stories of them playing for 61 hours, there are some things that don't really add up, such as they starting on the Thursday and finishing on the Saturday, which would be difficult to do since we started at 11am on the Wednesday and finished at about 10PM on the Friday night, and only managed 54 hours, and that was with us having about an hour's worth of banked breaks.

I don't know, though. I'm just happy I don't have to do it again.
    Last edited by KuReshtin; 2012-08-10 at 08:51 AM. Reason: I totally didn't edit this post. Nope. Definitely not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

However, in the stories of them playing for 61 hours, there are some things that don't really add up, such as they starting on the Thursday and finishing on the Saturday, which would be difficult to do since we started at 11am on the Wednesday and finished at about 10PM on the Friday night, and only managed 54 hours, and that was with us having about an hour's worth of banked breaks.
    If they start just after midnight Wednesday, they end at noon Saturday. That gives them 12 hours in which to fit in a later starting time, breaks, etc.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

oh dear
    ku, in my heart YOU are the champion :P
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Here are some photos from our World Record Attempt to play Small World for 54+ hours..

The four combatants at the start of the record attempt, looking all cheerful and positive:
    Spoiler
    Show

Me:

Sean:

Ben:

Duncan:

Pictures from different stages of the record attempt:

Spoiler
    Show

Scoreboard after 46 hours:

Spoiler
    Show

The gang at the end, after completion of 54 hours and 45 minutes of game play:
    Spoiler
    Show

Stig-atar by Irbis.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The expression of the guy in the right in the last picture is definitely "If you delay me any more from my bed I will KILL YOU!".

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

not really.. i got to the point where i got annoyed with some of my opponents for taking too long to make their moves. That's a definite killer when you're doing a marathon session. If it takes took long between your turns, your mind starts to shut down, and you start falling asleep. Not good.

And, to prevent hijacking this thread, I'd suggest we take any further discussion of the record attempt to the record attempt thread.
    Yeah, shutting down from exhaustion is bad. The longest games I've played were late-night Monopoly (around 4-5 hours), late-night Risk (3-5 hours), and late-night Catan (only about 2-3 hours, but I ended up losing my soul).
    Jude P.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Yeah, shutting down from exhaustion is bad. The longest games I've played were late-night Monopoly (around 4-5 hours), late-night Risk (3-5 hours), and late-night Catan (only about 2-3 hours, but I ended up losing my soul).
    Yeah, those long games will suck your soul away and throw it into a mincer.

That's what's good about Small World. Any given game only lasts about an hour to an hour and a half or so.

The guys who held the record before it was broken last year played Catan for 50 hours. Apparently, they only got through something like 12 games of Catan in 50 hours, which I find a bit weird. Catan usually don't take 5 hours to play, does it?
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

10. - Top - End - #130

Yeah, those long games will suck your soul away and throw it into a mincer.

That's what's good about Small World. Any given game only lasts about an hour to an hour and a half or so.

The guys who held the record before it was broken last year played Catan for 50 hours. Apparently, they only got through something like 12 games of Catan in 50 hours, which I find a bit weird. Catan usually don't take 5 hours to play, does it?
    Maybe they were playing the expanded version with six people and playing to sixteen points? That makes it take longer.

No, I mean I traded my soul for a sheep.
    Jude P.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

i wonder if after 50 hrs the "i have wood for sheep" jokes get old or do they get funnier
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Maybe they were playing the expanded version with six people and playing to sixteen points? That makes it take longer.

No, I mean I traded my soul for a sheep.
    I got two souls traded to me for a pair of dice once.

Seems that the Catan record was played by six guys, playing Catan: Cities and Knights. 12 completed games and partially through 13th game when they called it after 50 hours.

Then again, it doesn't matter, cause the current one as given to us by Guinness was for 53 hours and 59 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    i wonder if after 50 hrs the "i have wood for sheep" jokes get old or do they get funnier
    Reference...
    Last edited by KuReshtin; 2012-08-16 at 07:31 AM.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The expression of the guy in the right in the last picture is definitely "If you delay me any more from my bed I will KILL YOU!".
    heheh
    this is EXACTLY what i thought upon seeing it

how did you guys stay awake?
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    heheh
    this is EXACTLY what i thought upon seeing it

how did you guys stay awake?
    We had a great support team that kept us company, and there were only a few times at about 8-9am on Thursday and Friday mornings that I hit the wall and really struggled, but once I'd got past that, I was feeling fine again.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

wow
    that is very impressive to say the least
    My Metal Blog

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Just spotted this video from Geek and Sundry from the event they co-hosted with Days of Wonder at the same time we did our record attempt.

I'm in the video! Only for about 2 seconds in the background, but still.
    They really did have our live stream up on the big screens during their event. How cool is that?
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

thats pretty darn spectacular :D
    My Metal Blog

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, why didn't I see this thread until now? Are there any more news on this?
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Hey, why didn't I see this thread until now? Are there any more news on this?
    Likely bordering thread Necromancy, but so far, the conversion of the 60+ hours of video was slow going, and so caused a delay in the sending of all the evidence.
    Still no more updates.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

Final update:

We're NOT the world record holders.

There was another record attempt before ours that I mentioned earlier in the thread, where they hadn't been officially accepted as the record holders at the time of our attempt, where they played for 61 hours. That record has now been accepted by Guinness, and therefore, our 54 hours 45 minutes falls well short of the mark.

Good thing is that we raised a heap of cash for the charity of our choice, and they also got a few board games from Days of Wonder, so it's all good anyway.

Thanks for everyone who supported us and donated for the charity during our record attempt.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

A shame but a fantastic effort though.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Final update:

There was another record attempt before ours that I mentioned earlier in the thread, where they hadn't been officially accepted as the record holders at the time of our attempt, where they played for 61 hours. That record has now been accepted by Guinness, and therefore, our 54 hours 45 minutes falls well short of the mark.

Good thing is that we raised a heap of cash for the charity of our choice, and they also got a few board games from Days of Wonder, so it's all good anyway.

Thanks for everyone who supported us and donated for the charity during our record attempt.
    tough luck. so when is the retry?

And then I'd suggest monopoly with some modified rules (to speed up and draw out play): no interest on loans, houses refund full buyers value, no giving up: you are bankrupt when every one of your assets has been loaned against and you are insovable.

this is easily done over the course of 3 days (my brother and I even reached 5 where we would jsut shove millions to each other in a game where the highest bill is 50.000, eventually we settled over a draw). Your firendship might take a beating though
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    tough luck. so when is the retry?

And then I'd suggest monopoly with some modified rules (to speed up and draw out play): no interest on loans, houses refund full buyers value, no giving up: you are bankrupt when every one of your assets has been loaned against and you are insovable.

this is easily done over the course of 3 days (my brother and I even reached 5 where we would jsut shove millions to each other in a game where the highest bill is 50.000, eventually we settled over a draw). Your firendship might take a beating though
    I think a three day game of Monopoly would be my idea of Hell. We always play it a Christmas and then what happens is it turns into a bloody great arguement over Park Lane & Mayfair before someone storms off in a sulk and everyone else loses the will to live.

I'm going to get my family to play Eminent Domain or Munchkin instead this year.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I think a three day game of Monopoly would be my idea of Hell. We always play it a Christmas and then what happens is it turns into a bloody great arguement over Park Lane & Mayfair before someone storms off in a sulk and everyone else loses the will to live.

I'm going to get my family to play Eminent Domain or Munchkin instead this year.
    I thought thsoe were awesome as well, but then I encountered the combination of 2 connected streets (purple+orange, orange+red, red+yellow, yellow+green). that is just awful and there is no escape (plus they are not that expensive to build)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

25. - Top - End - #145

Aww man. Sorry to hear you didn't make it. Great effort, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I thought those were awesome as well, but then I encountered the combination of 2 connected streets (purple+orange, orange+red, red+yellow, yellow+green). that is just awful and there is no escape (plus they are not that expensive to build)
    What's really awful is when somebody gets control of most of the board and just sells houses behind the other guys and builds them up in front of them every turn.
    Yeah, I've been that ass.

I think my brother got a couple of the Munchkin expansion sets while I've been at school. So that should be neat.
    Jude P.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Any attempt to break the record has to be made by the official rules, so no house rules are allowed. It also has to be 'in the spirit of the game', so you can't sit around and take the proverbial urine just to draw out the turns of people to mmilk the clock.
    Because of that, a game that offers change every time you play, such as Small World, Settlers of Catan or Last Night on Earth are perfect, since there is variations of the game each time you reset.

As for a retry for the record. We're not sure. Maybe it'll happen. Maybe not.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Final update:

Ouch.

As for a retry for the record. We're not sure. Maybe it'll happen. Maybe not.
    >61 hours is a huge amount of time...
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-11-22 at 02:52 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.