New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default [D&D 3.5] Incarnum without a Con Score?

For complicated and stupid reasons, my Totemist 2/Incarnate 3 died and became a ghost(yes, the one that adds 5 level adjustment).

I'm still new to Incarnum, and I know they've fairly Con-based. The sudden lack of a Con score makes me wonder if my class features even work anymore.

Help?
    Last edited by theonesin; 2013-06-08 at 02:34 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Incarnum without a Con Score?

You need the undead meldshaper feat. Sub wis for con for the number of soulmelds and for the dc.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-06-08 at 02:33 AM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    You need the undead meldshaper feat. Sub wis for con for the number of soulmelds and for the dc.
    Is that feat just to help me, or will I actually need it to not lose class features?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Devil

1 Ask if you can use the Template class. I'D provide a link but im on a phone so its a little difficult.

2. There is the Undead Meldshaper feat. Ask if you can get it as part of your Undeadness. It should be included within the rules as standard IMHO.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The template class link is here. It's pretty powerful so I'd only recommend allowing it in situations where your player has unintentionally become a ghost, which would be now.

I'm pretty sure Undead Meldshaper is required in order to shape soulmends as an undead. The number of melds you can shape is based on your con, and if you don't have any con you can't shape any soulmelds without the feat (similar to how you don't have any carrying capacity without a strength score or any skill points without intelligence). And there's probably an FAQ or sidebar or something that spells it out somewhere. Hey, be glad you didn't get turned into a robot: there's no Robot Meldshaper feat at all.

If your DM is nice he should let you retrain something into Undead Meldshaper immediately since he's the one who sprung the ghost stuff on you out of nowhere. If not then you might want to actually avoid the template class, since you'll need the ghost abilities immediately to survive until you can take the feat and regain the reason for your existence. . . though with LA+5 the campaign would have to run for a lot longer in order to get enough xp to offset that and make it to a level where you can get a feat.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theonesin View Post
    Is that feat just to help me, or will I actually need it to not lose class features?
    You need it - without a Con score your maximum number of shapeable soulmelds will always be zero and thus there will be no point to pursuing Incarnum.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Do note that even with Undead Meldshaper, you only qualify for a grand total of about 4 incarnum feats, as the rest all require a CON score. I'd suggest talking to your DM about allowing these to key off WIS instead, if the change is going to be long-term.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I guess Undead Meldshaper MIGHT help, though my Wisdom score is a 9(so -1 mod). And I lose access to one feat I took(Expanded Soulmeld Capacity), and at least another that I planned to take at level 6(Bonus Essentia).

I think I'm just going to roll up a new character. I already felt too annoyed when trying to figure out all the things a ghost got, and this just makes it not worth it. Screws over my concept too much.

Thanks for the clarification though guys.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

If the story won't make you too angry, how does one get a LA+5 template forced upon them?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theonesin View Post
    Wisdom score is a 9
    This will not be enough to shape any soulmelds. You can only shape your Con-10 (IIRC) soulmelds nomrally, and I'm assuming Undead Meldshaper doesn't lift that requirement.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel View Post
    If the story won't make you too angry, how does one get a LA+5 template forced upon them?
    The DM didn't let us know(except for maybe the one player who wasn't there that session) that dead people don't immediately go to the afterlife in this world. Instead, they linger as ghosts.

We also had our Dwarf Dragonfire Adept inflicted with lycanthropy...

I honestly don't think the DM knew what they were doing when they brought these up. >.>

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Break curse and true resurection seems to be the best way to fix both the lycanthrpy and ghostliness.

They are expensive, but you can get rid of the templates for good.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel View Post
    When it shuts down all of your class abilities and gives you very little in exchange.

Meldshapers run off of Con score. When you go undead, all your meldshaping goes away until you get the Undead Meldshaper feat, which then keys off of Wisdom. But his Wisdom is only 9, so all his class abilities are still permanently shut down.

In effect, the GM has secretly replaced his class with Commoner. The ghost template isn't going to help that out any.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Does your DM happen to own a copy of ghostwalk? If you're -that- kind of ghost, you still have a con score; as those ghosts are outsiders, not undead.

If not, then you're screwed. Either find a way to come back to life ASAP or roll up a new character.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign