New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Garryl's Freeform Fire Emblem Rules

I just read the tier 4 talents.

I like them, but I worry that Limit break, and Scrivened are not appropriate for player characters.

If we only get Limitbreak before the final map, then unless the final map is full of enemies, we can't get the xp to break the level cap.

Scrivened is completely overpowered if a player character gets it. Or is useless if the enemies are given weapons that bypass it.

Also Scrivened overshadows the same level tier talent Guardian pact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Most of the T4 talents are intended primarily (if not entirely) for enemy use. Given how far away any of the games are from reaching them, I'm just spit balling, anyway.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

3. - Top - End - #93

Quote Originally Posted by Garryl View Post
    Most of the T4 talents are intended primarily (if not entirely) for enemy use. Given how far away any of the games are from reaching them, I'm just spit balling, anyway.
    Ah. Okay you just mentioned that they were the eleventh hour superpowers for the heroes also.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #94

Remember how there were more than enough weapons already and no more were needed?... Yeah, me neither. Take a look at tactics! For all your Strength-based support needs.

Also, the previously discussed fixed damage daggers have been added properly. I nerfed their damage a bit (probably too much), since I'm not really sure how to evaluate the fixed damage effect's overall power.

Additionally, synergies have been added for the remaining weapons. They still do nothing. I'm considering letting weapons at promotion cost only half as much (5 instead of 10 growth points) if you can already use a synergy weapon, or perhaps increasing your starting rank based on your ranks in synergy weapons.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

5. - Top - End - #95

Remember how there were more than enough weapons already and no more were needed?... Yeah, me neither. Take a look at tactics! For all your Strength-based support needs.

Also, the previously discussed fixed damage daggers have been added properly. I nerfed their damage a bit (probably too much), since I'm not really sure how to evaluate the fixed damage effect's overall power.

Additionally, synergies have been added for the remaining weapons. They still do nothing. I'm considering letting weapons at promotion cost only half as much (5 instead of 10 growth points) if you can already use a synergy weapon, or perhaps increasing your starting rank based on your ranks in synergy weapons.
    I'd go with synergy granting a bonus rank or two.

Can I change one of Simon's promotions to include tactics? He's the lord, so it'd fit.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Grant a rank, as in, if you already have a higher rank in a synergy weapon when you gain the ability to use this weapon, the rank you gain in this weapon is 1 higher?
    So having E rank Swords and gaining E rank Axes won't do anything, but if you already had C rank Swords, and gained E rank Axes, you would actually really gain D rank axes?

Yeah, I like that idea.

Actually, how about "If you have ranks in a synergy weapon when you gain the ability to use this weapon type, you may either pay 5 growth points instead of 10, or if your rank in the existing weapon is one or more ranks higher than the rank you would normally get, you may pay full price and the new weapon rank is one better".
    Let the person making the character choose.
    So you could take advantage of the lower price and try to grab as many weapons as possible (Penguinator, upcoming ), or you could take advantage of the higher rank and get better weapons.

Also, you said we could make our own talents with approval, which I did, but: new Chassis?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanical:
    Requires: Con 8
    Limitations: Max move -1, max capacity -10, -10 growth to spend
    Benefits: May have a second chassis, using it's movement type. +2 base points to spend.
    Movement type: Unless a second chassis is chosen, Land (Normal)
    Combat type: Normal (unless a second chassis is chosen), Mechanical
    Special: Shove, cannot Rescue even if second chassis allows for it.

I'm not sure what the mechanical combat type would do. Perhaps it would have Advantage against certain magic weapons, and certain physical weapons would have Advantage against it. Like how bows have advantage against winged combat type.

Edit: For example, Mechanical (Airborne (Pegasus)):
    Requires: Con 8, move 5
    Limitations: Max capacity -20, -5 growth to spend
    Benefits: +2 base points to spend
    Movement type: Flying
    Combat type: Flying, Winged, Mechanical
    Special: Canto, Shove
    Last edited by flabort; 2012-04-13 at 01:41 PM.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    I'd go with synergy granting a bonus rank or two.

Can I change one of Simon's promotions to include tactics? He's the lord, so it'd fit.
    That's fine. I have no problem with anyone changing their character a bit when they find that something in the build is problematic, or when a new rule is added that they would like to take advantage of (but couldn't before because the rule didn't exist), as long as the core of the character stays the same.

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Grant a rank, as in, if you already have a higher rank in a synergy weapon when you gain the ability to use this weapon, the rank you gain in this weapon is 1 higher?
    So having E rank Swords and gaining E rank Axes won't do anything, but if you already had C rank Swords, and gained E rank Axes, you would actually really gain D rank axes?

Yeah, I like that idea.

Actually, how about "If you have ranks in a synergy weapon when you gain the ability to use this weapon type, you may either pay 5 growth points instead of 10, or if your rank in the existing weapon is one or more ranks higher than the rank you would normally get, you may pay full price and the new weapon rank is one better".
    Let the person making the character choose.
    So you could take advantage of the lower price and try to grab as many weapons as possible (Penguinator, upcoming ), or you could take advantage of the higher rank and get better weapons.
    That sounds good. It'd essentially be a 5 growth point discount on synergy weapons, and 5 growth point option to have your new weapon start out a rank higher. That feels fair, I think.

Also, you said we could make our own talents with approval, which I did, but: new Chassis?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanical:
    Benefits: May have a second chassis, using it's movement type. +2 base points to spend.
    Movement type: Unless a second chassis is chosen, Land (Normal)
    Combat type: Normal (unless a second chassis is chosen), Mechanical
    Special: Shove, cannot Rescue even if second chassis allows for it.

I'm not sure what the mechanical combat type would do. Perhaps it would have Advantage against certain magic weapons, and certain physical weapons would have Advantage against it. Like how bows have advantage against winged combat type.

Edit: For example, Mechanical (Airborne (Pegasus)):
    Combat type: Flying, Winged, Mechanical
    That sounds like a great idea, and now I desperately want to work it in. Note that currently dark magic is effective against mechanical. Maybe instead of messing around more with the various weapons (other than a few specifics, comparable to the Armorslayer and friends), give it resistance or immunity to some conditions that don't make as much sense to affect a machine? Poison, disease, and sleep, for instance? So, that would essentially be like a free Id skill.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Did Dark magic already have that? I'm unsure if you just added it or not .
    Yeah, a few specific Mechanical Slayer weapons sounds fair. I had been thinking, "magic affects people, weapons smash moving parts", when I said physical weapons would affect it more, magic less, but I was only thinking one or two categories. Like, swords and axes (And hammers?) being effective vs. mechanical, Anima not being so effective.
    Any way you decide works, though.

Mechanical combat type being a free Id? Yeah, that sounds fair-ish.

The rest of the "examples" of "combinations":
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanical//Normal <- Basically just Mechanical, without another type.
    Benefits: +2 base points to spend.
    Movement type:Land (Normal)
    Combat type: Normal, Mechanical
    Special: Shove

Mechanical//Skimisher
    Limitations: Max move -1, max capacity -10, -15 growth to spend
    Movement type: Land (Light)
    Combat type: Light, Mechanical

Mechanical//Armored
    Limitations: Max move -3, max capacity -10
    Movement type: Land (Armored)
    Combat type: Armored, Mechanical

Mechanical//Mounted
    Limitations: max capacity -20, -5 growth to spend
    Movement type: Land (Mounted)
    Combat type: Mounted (Horse), Mechanical

Mechanical//Airborne (Wyvern)
    Combat type: Flying, Dragon, Mechanical

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

Dark magic has been effective against mechanical since about the 3rd revision, I think. Before this thread was even up, if I remember correctly, during the recruitment for Sand Beneath the Waves. It's been a while.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'm considering letting weapons at promotion cost only half as much (5 instead of 10 growth points)
    Want! With more letters.

Finally forced me into getting one of these.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    Want! With more letters.
    I knew you would, considering what you sent me.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

By the way, how's that coming along, flabort?

A large number of new items are up. Mine Sweeper, Feral Formula, Blank Vellum, and all manner of Bracers.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Not well. I can't figure out how to enter growths into that chart...except by hand, which would take way too long. Or, a long time.
    And then there's spriting the elite enemies... Or at least the plot relevant characters.

Maybe I released news of it too soon. As I keep saying, it will be a while.

Edit: Hmm... I wonder if it's possible to do what you did with unarmed, with a ranged weapon...
    ((I'll try to come up with it myself. I think it will be something along the lines of thrown stones and slings))

Edit 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Throwing stones is a popular pass-time among children. The problem arises, though, that it's not a very effective fighting style. But there are a few that can make it stick, and they are quite good at it. Most carry around specially smoothed stones or slings to get some extra oomph out of their throws.
    Throwing Stones is a physical weapon. It uses it's wielder's Str to determine damage, reduced by its target's Def.
    Throwing Stones is a primal weapon.
    Throwing Stones is not part of any triangle, and is effective against Mechanical.
    Throwing Stones has synergy with Unarmed and Tactics.

{table=head]Weapon Name|Rank|Range|Mgt|Hit|Crit|Wgt|Durability|Value| Triangle Type|Special
    Thrown Stone|E-S|1-2|1+1R|80|0|1+2R|--|--|Throwing Stones|Scales with Throwing Stones weapon rank. Auto-equip. Does not count against inventory space.
    Round Stones|E|1-2|+0|+10|--|+2|30||Throwing Stones|Cannot crit. Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    Leather Sling|E|1-2|+2|+0|+0|+6|35||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    River Stones|D|1-2|+0|+15|+5|+6|25||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    Studded Sling|D|1-3|+3|-10|+0|+9|20||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    Polished Stones|C|1-2|+0|+20|+10|+8|25||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    Skipping Sling|C|1-3|+5|-15|+0|+8|20||Earth|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks. Uses Earth weapon triangle.
    Venin Rocks|C|2|+2|+5|+0|+11|10||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks. Causes poison on hit. Fixed damage.*
    Perfect Stones|B|1-2|+0|+20|+15|+6|20||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    ??? Sling|B|1-3|||||15||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    Whistle Rocks|B|2|||||10||Sound|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks. Causes resonance Uses Sound weapon triangle. Fixed Damage.*
    Bladed Stones|A|1-2|+5|+10|+20|+8|15||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    ??? Sling|A|1-3|||||15||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks. [/table]
    *Venin Rocks and Whistle Rocks use the might of the base weapon, which IS modified by rank, plus their own might, but are not affected by Str.

The (mostly) complete ones: Balanced?
    Last edited by flabort; 2012-04-14 at 05:54 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

It took me over a year to plan my FE game, personally.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Thought I'd put my Homebrew Talents in here.

Bodyguard T1. Grant 1 ally in range of your weapon bonus HP equal to that Weapon's Might + 1/2 User's Str/Mag (depends on whether it's a magical or physical weapon) for one turn. Sap one Durability point from the weapon for every 2 enemy attacks that "hit" the protected Ally until the Bonus HP runs out. User cannot attack in the same turn, and his speed is Halved for the turn. Counterattacks made during the turn do 3/4 damage (rounded down). Command.
    Example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So Marvin the Mage is down to his last 6 HP. Frank the Fighter sees his buddy's distress and goes over to him to Guard him. He's got 8 Strength and a Killer Axe, so he doesn't attack, and instead during that turn, Marvin gains 14 HP to give him 20. Two Myrmidons attack Marvin and do a combined 16 damage with two attacks each. Those 4 attacks were mostly blocked by Frank's Axe, which loses 2 Durability points, and in the end, Marvin only lost 2 HP instead of dying there. If the myrmidon's 4 attacks only did a total of 12 damage, Marvin would not have lost any HP that turn, but that 2 Bonus HP would go away at the start of the next turn. Essentially, this is sort of invoking Diehard, with a bunch of cons for the protecting party.

Level The Field T2. Command. Cannot attack in the same turn. Prerequisite: Earth Magic. Sap charges from your Earth Magic Tome to change the terrain type of any number of spaces within (Mag/2).
    Terrain Cost Table:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Terrain Type|Cost|Note
    Land|+0|Compatible with all.
    Rubble|+1|Incompatible with Cliff. Rubble-> Sand is compatible, but Sand -> Rubble is not
    Cliff|+2|Cannot change any type of Land to Cliff.
    Sand|+2|Rubble-> Sand is compatible, but Sand -> Rubble is not.
    Hill|+2|Incompatible with Fortress.
    Mountain|+3| Incompatible with Fortress; Can only Form Mountains from Hills.
    Forest|+3| Incompatible with all except Land. Cannot change any type of terrain to forest.
    Fortress|+4| Incompatible with Mountain and Hill
    [/table]
    If the types of terrain are compatible, Subtract the value of the terrains. If you are changing from a higher cost to a lower cost terrain and both are compatible, the cost is halved. (so changing a hill into a mountain is 1, but from mountain to hill is 1/2). If they are not compatible, add them. A space occupied by anyone other than yourself costs an extra +2. You may not change any type of terrain into a forest tile.

Tome Rank/Value Table:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]Tome Rank|Value
    E|1
    D|1.5
    C|2
    B|2.5
    A|3
    S|4
    SS|5[/table]

So. Changing a Flat bit of land into Fortress takes costs 4 charges. So that would be
    4 Charges from an E rank tome,
    or
    2 Charges from a D and 1 from an E,
    or
    2 from a C rank tome
    or
    A charge from an S Tome.
    To change a forest tile into a regular land tile when your ally is standing on it costs 5, so that would be
    5 from E
    or
    2 from D and 2 from E
    Or
    2 From C
    and so on.

RNG Abuser
    Tier 2. Take a penalty to Strength, Magic, Speed, Defense and/or Resistance for one turn to be informed whether the next (Penalty/2) numbers generated by the RNG are greater than or less than 50. EG, by sacrificing a total of 20 Stat points, you will get the relative value of the next 10 numbers generated.
    Example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table]If the RNG Generates|32|66|20|77|83|22|02|99|44|54
    You will receive the following information:|<50|>50|<50|>50|>50|<50|<50|>50|<50|> 50[/table]
    At yours or any of your team members' option, a number may be "wasted"-- skipped over and deleted from its position in the queue-- with a new number added to the back of the queue. No knowledge of this new number's value will be given away.
    Example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    if you choose to waste the second-to-last G roll:
    {table]If the RNG Generates|32|66|20|77|83|22|02|44|54|XX
    You will receive the following information:|<50|>50|<50|>50|>50|<50|<50|<50|>50|X[/table]

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post

Not well. I can't figure out how to enter growths into that chart...except by hand, which would take way too long. Or, a long time.
    And then there's spriting the elite enemies... Or at least the plot relevant characters.

Maybe I released news of it too soon. As I keep saying, it will be a while.
    I've added some instructions to a new first sheet of the spreadsheet I linked you that should hopefully explain how I use it (although I'll readily admit that it's sort of hacked together anyways). I'm going to see if I can make it a little bit better and easier to use, like letting you select from some preset stats/growths from a drop down menu instead of having to copy and paste them from another sheet.

Edit: Hmm... I wonder if it's possible to do what you did with unarmed, with a ranged weapon...
    ((I'll try to come up with it myself. I think it will be something along the lines of thrown stones and slings))

Edit 2:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Throwing stones is a popular pass-time among children. The problem arises, though, that it's not a very effective fighting style. But there are a few that can make it stick, and they are quite good at it. Most carry around specially smoothed stones or slings to get some extra oomph out of their throws.
    Throwing Stones is a physical weapon. It uses it's wielder's Str to determine damage, reduced by its target's Def.
    Throwing Stones is a primal weapon.
    Throwing Stones is not part of any triangle, and is effective against Mechanical.
    Throwing Stones has synergy with Unarmed and Tactics.

{table=head]Weapon Name|Rank|Range|Mgt|Hit|Crit|Wgt|Durability|Value| Triangle Type|Special
    Thrown Stone|E-S|1-2|1+1R|80|0|1+2R|--|--|Throwing Stones|Scales with Throwing Stones weapon rank. Auto-equip. Does not count against inventory space.
    Round Stones|E|1-2|+0|+10|--|+2|30||Throwing Stones|Cannot crit. Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    Leather Sling|E|1-2|+2|+0|+0|+6|35||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    River Stones|D|1-2|+0|+15|+5|+6|25||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    Studded Sling|D|1-3|+3|-10|+0|+9|20||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    Polished Stones|C|1-2|+0|+20|+10|+8|25||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    Skipping Sling|C|1-3|+5|-15|+0|+8|20||Earth|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks. Uses Earth weapon triangle.
    Venin Rocks|C|2|+2|+5|+0|+11|10||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks. Causes poison on hit. Fixed damage.*
    Perfect Stones|B|1-2|+0|+20|+15|+6|20||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    ??? Sling|B|1-3|||||15||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    Whistle Rocks|B|2|||||10||Sound|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks. Causes resonance Uses Sound weapon triangle. Fixed Damage.*
    Bladed Stones|A|1-2|+5|+10|+20|+8|15||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks.
    ??? Sling|A|1-3|||||15||Throwing Stones|Enhances Throwing Stones attacks. [/table]
    *Venin Rocks and Whistle Rocks use the might of the base weapon, which IS modified by rank, plus their own might, but are not affected by Str.

The (mostly) complete ones: Balanced?
    I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

What I'm getting from this is low damage, middling base accuracy boosted significantly from items, and spell-like range.

Have you considered splitting it into two parts? Say, the rocks that count as the actual, raw weapon, and the slings that could count as accessories and grant increased range (I see a few 1-3s there) and some special effects or increased accuracy or something? Just a thought.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Heheh, Newsletter? I don't have a newsletter. Sorry.
    There have been times I've wished someone would hook my head up to a permanent thoughtscanner, so the great geniuses of the future could review my thoughts afterwards, and none of my great ideas would be lost.
    One such idea was making a variable-strength electromagnetic key, with negative spaces in the center of the key, which when all the top pins lined up right, pins would go THROUGH the key as a second test, and pins would measure the magnetic pulls and pushes as a third test, to make SURE it was your key, and when you pulled it out, the pins going through the key would just pivot, as the key pulls on it, allowing it to slide out. I came up with that in 6th grade. I called it "Sure-lock homes", with "If someone else finds a way in, we'll eat our badges" as the motto. Such a lock would be so complex, though... Engineers would never manage it. Not even Dilbert's garbage man.

A more... related idea, is a talent that may occasionally result in a +2 value during levelup. Also, another talent, that also affects stats during level up. Neither affects you on the battlefield, only during levelup.
    Critical level up T2
    When a stat is successfully increased during your levelup, roll again against 1/4 the normal growth. Do not replace the first roll with the new one. Instead, if both succeed, your stat increases twice. Normal stat caps apply.
    Cap Breaker T1
    (Special: This talent costs 10 extra growth points. This talent may be taken more than once.)
    When you take this talent, pick one: Str, Mag, Skl, Spd, Lck, Def, or Res. Your stat cap in that skill is increase by 4 the first time you take this. If you take this talent more than once, pick another stat. It's cap is increased by 4, and the last stat you picked is increased by 2.
    So, if you took this talent 5 times, and picked Skl, Str, Spd, Skl, Def, at the third tier your Skl cap would be 57, your Str and Spd caps would be 51, and your Def cap would be 49.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108

Critical level up is horrendously OP. It increases your effective growth rates by 1/4. Given that most characters have around 250%-265% in growths (give or take, depending on movement and capacity and weapons and talents and whatnot), it's like an extra 65 growth points for the cost of 10 (and 2 base, but you're getting that back inside 4 levels).

I'm not too fond of Cap Breaker either, unfortunately. You pay for it early, but don't get any benefit until late, and you may get no benefit at all depending on the luck of the draw. Caps are already pretty high under these rules (45 at T3 instead of the 40 that Radiant Dawn's caps peaked at).
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

I don't really like the talents that are meant to break things.

To me, talents are something your character has based on their personal skills and experiences, not something that they gain for the sake of breaking the game. A character would have no knowledge of stat caps or the RNG, so why would that be one of their "talents?"

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

That makes sense. Not the best ideas, obviously. I never said that I was a complete genius. A lot of my ideas are total bogus. When I even have ideas...
    Yeah, it's not entirely +1/4 growth... you have to succeed the first time, at normal growth, before it even considers Critical.
    But it's still a bad idea. I gotcha.

I guess Penguinator has the right idea.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

It's not 25% growth, but it is 1/4 of your existing growth.

Ex: For a 40% growth...
    60% +0
    40%*3/4 = 30% +1
    40%*1/4 = 10% +2
    For an average stat gain of 0.5, 25% more than your normal 0.4.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

22. - Top - End - #112

So I've been looking at prices (and the major lack thereof currently in these rules). Magic tomes seem to be ridiculously expensive compared to similar rank physical weapons (although not quite as far off when compared to the throwing weapons). How do you feel about the prices in the games? Are there any items or weapons that are traditionally overcosted? Undercosted? Just right? Don't care?

At present, the prices are up for the various non-weapon items, skills, and the three basic traditional weapons (axes, lances, swords). I'd like to fill out at least the traditional weapons soon (definitely before the end of the current map in Sand).
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Magic tomes tend to cost more because they're introduced later than melee weaponry, usually not until after a few maps.

That being said, perhaps they ought to be cheaper since more characters are using magic in Forum Emblem, especially with this system.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

24. - Top - End - #114

There's also the metagame aspect of most FE characters and enemies having relatively low Res compared to their Def scores (basically, everyone but mages and priests). Given the more freeform stat generation of these rules, that doesn't have to be the case. Just look at Illven's character in Weapons of War, for example.

Actually, when you compare tome prices in FE10 to the thrown weapon prices in these rules, the prices aren't entirely out of line. One a cost per use basis, they're actually almost cheap.
    Last edited by Garryl; 2012-04-21 at 03:52 PM.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

25. - Top - End - #115

Hello to anyone still following this. About a year ago, my computer had to be wiped, and the drive I had backed everything Fire Emblem-related onto decided to die at the same time. As a result, I lost everything not already posted here, including a lot of work on the crafting system. Recently, I got back into this and started recreating what was lost and filling in other gaps in the rule set.

In short, prepare for some updates, including, but not limited to:
    - Prices for all weapons.
    - Nerfed stat caps.
    - Light movement type renamed to Swift, and Light combat type renamed to Unarmored. Much better than the confusing Light and Light (no longer to also be confused with Light magic).
    - S-Rank weapons (sans costs) and a few legendary weapons.
    - First batch of weapon reforging properties. No costs yet, unfortunately.
    - Proper rules about how turns work and what you can do on your turn.
    - Fog of war.
    - Rules and formulas for gaining experience and using bonus experience.
    - A couple extra conditions and terrains.
    - A variant set of affinities for FE 1-8-style support bonuses.

If you happen to be running a game with the existing rules and would like a copy of them before these changes, let me know and I'll send you a copy.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGuy

Hey, Garryl's alive.

I don't think any games are running your system, currently, but I've kind of fallen out of the loop.

Banner by Elder Tsofu.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinator View Post
    Hey, Garryl's alive.

I don't think any games are running your system, currently, but I've kind of fallen out of the loop.
    Always have been alive. I just faded into the background for a while.

Yeah, I looked around at what FE games were going on here and, no, none of them are using it. It looks like most of the games that were going on stopped updating over the past few months. Even TheSummoner's immortal Seal of Fate, having ran for 4 years, hasn't had any action since May! It seems only Sairyu's Close Horizon and Illven and Ravena's Fragments of Chaos are still going. Any idea what happened? I'm half-tempted to start up another game of my own just to get the numbers back up.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium