New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 91 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920213661 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 167

I'm not aware of any rules for muffling it except casting silence on the hook, which has its separate issues.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thompsja View Post
    Q165 Is there a feat, class feature or magic item that would allow a Gargantuan Dragon to increase a size category?
    A165 additional
    Anything that grants the psionic power "Expansion" works.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 168: When a party encounters a Prismatic Wall, it appears as though the wall doesn't stop anyone from walking through it, they just get hit with all the negative effects. Is that right, or do they need to save to understand that they could walk through it?

Q 169: With a prismatic wall, how do you determine all the various saves for everything, is it just the standard DC + SPELL LEVEL + CASTER LEVEL?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 168 They can't see through it, but nothing (aside from a healthy sense of self-preservation) prevents them from trying to walk through it. They'll have to survive the damage and pass the saves for the green, blue, and violet walls to actually make it through to the other side.

A 169 Yes, It's the standard save DC. However, your formula is wrong.

Save DCs are calculated according to: 10 + spell level + caster's primary ability score bonus (Int for wizards, Cha for sorcerers, Wis for cleric/druids, etc.).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 170

Does magic damage (for example, Magic Missile) bonus from Inspire Courage?
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

I started in the keep of a baron who was hiring the characters as his personal lackeys. It allowed me to give them some simple beginner quests, such as go kill this group of bandits to save this town.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 170 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Inspire Courage
    A bard with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use song or poetics to inspire courage in his allies (including himself), bolstering them against fear and improving their combat abilities. To be affected, an ally must be able to hear the bard sing. The effect lasts for as long as the ally hears the bard sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected ally receives a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. At 8th level, and every six bard levels thereafter, this bonus increases by 1 (+2 at 8th, +3 at 14th, and +4 at 20th). Inspire courage is a mind-affecting ability.
    The damage bonus applies only to weapons.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Q 171

How does a darkness spell affect darkvision?
    Last edited by Duriath; 2012-06-06 at 10:17 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 171
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness
    Even creatures that can normally see in such conditions (such as with darkvision or low-light vision) have the miss chance in an area shrouded in magical darkness.
    It's right there in the spell description.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 172

I have seen many things using the "willingly fail a save/check/etc" clause, and I know where some of the citations of this are. But I have not found one saying you can willingly fail a dispel check. Is there a specific provision by RAW to allow willing failures on dispel checks, or is it just an assumption extended from a more general clause? If it exists, can I have a link/book and page number?
    Last edited by CommodoreCrunch; 2012-06-06 at 11:12 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Started in a city plaza where a summoned Girallon promptly appeared and began causing havoc.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 173: A level 4 medium sized fighter, with 18 strength, makes a trip attempt against a small target, is that attempt made with:

1d20 + 4 (bab) + 4 (str mod) + 4 (size), for a possible result of 13-32 that your opponent would need to oppose?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

11. - Top - End - #311
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Q 173: A level 4 medium sized fighter, with 18 strength, makes a trip attempt against a small target, is that attempt made with:

1d20 + 4 (bab) + 4 (str mod) + 4 (size), for a possible result of 13-32 that your opponent would need to oppose?
    A173: After the AoO, everything else? No. You have d20+8, and the small target has a -4 penalty to the check

Q 174: How do demiliches work with grafts? Like, could a demilich have Silthar Bones, Muscles, and Tendons? Or even, say, Weakening Arm?
    Last edited by Little Brother; 2012-06-06 at 11:59 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

A 173 Correction

No. After the melee touch attack, which gets no special modifiers, and possible AoO the attacker makes a STR check opposed by the defender's STR or DEX Check, whichever modifier is higher. BAB is irrelevant. Every combatant gets a +4 for each size category he is larger than medium or a -4 for each size category he is smaller than medium. The target also gets a +4 if it has more than two legs or is otherwise exceptionally stable (like a dwarf for example)

In your example it is d20 + STR mod for the attacker and d20 + STR/DEX mod -4 for the defender.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CommodoreCrunch View Post
    Q 172

I have seen many things using the "willingly fail a save/check/etc" clause, and I know where some of the citations of this are. But I have not found one saying you can willingly fail a dispel check. Is there a specific provision by RAW to allow willing failures on dispel checks, or is it just an assumption extended from a more general clause? If it exists, can I have a link/book and page number?
    A 172

The only reference I can find at all to "voluntarily failing" in the Rules Compendium relates specifically to saving throws:
    Quote Originally Posted by RC p.112
    VOLUNTARILY FAILING
    A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a consequence.
    The section on Caster Level checks makes no mention of intentionally failing.

There is a feat (Arcane Mastery, CArc p.73) that allows you to Take 10 on a CL check (which may, in turn, result in failure), but that's the only other option I am aware of.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A172 extension
    The one exception to making caster level checks for dispel magic is against one's own spells:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You automatically succeed on your dispel check against any spell that you cast yourself

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 175

Are there ways to remove or reduce the speed penalty from wearing medium or heavy armor?

Q 176

If you somehow get a speed of 25 ft., do you get a -6 penalty on jump checks?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-06-07 at 06:08 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 167

I'm not aware of any rules for muffling it except casting silence on the hook, which has its separate issues.
    Thanks for that, but I still need to know if anyone has a ruling somewhere for the actual sound that it makes.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Troll in the Playground

A 175

Yes. Off the top of my head, mithral medium armor is treated as light armor (no speed reduction), and the Knight (PHB2) has a pair of class features that remove the movement penalties associated with wearing medium/heavy armour.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    A 175

Yes. Off the top of my head, mithral medium armor is treated as light armor (no speed reduction), and the Knight (PHB2) has a pair of class features that remove the movement penalties associated with wearing medium/heavy armour.
    Thanks, but I was looking for the ability 30 or more ft. in a mithral full plate, if at all possible without taking levels in classes.

Q 177

Does a bloodstorm blade get new maneuvers?

19. - Top - End - #319
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

A 176 Uncertain

The rule as written does not seem to anticipate that possibility -- it is unclear on how multiples of 5 feet of speed (but not multiples of 10) should be handled. While there are several different reasonable interpretations or ways to adjudicate this rule, a hard-and-fast RAW answer may not be possible.

The most RAW-like answer I can give is to go back to the default rounding rules, which would say that since 25' is not a full 10' slower than 30', it rounds down to zero 10' increments less than 30', and therefore no penalty. (Likewise, a 15' speed would lead to only a -6 penalty, not -12 under that interpretation.) Without a clause to the effect of "or any portion thereof", I believe the rounding rule takes precedence from a RAW standpoint -- it clearly fits the intent for speeds greater than 30' (e.g., you wouldn't get a +4 bonus at 35', because you're not a full 10' faster than 30'.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

20. - Top - End - #320
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 175

A tooth of Dahlver-Nar (associated with Savnok) will let you ignore any movement penalty due to armor. It is a slotless magic item and costs 2000 GP (ToM pg. 77-79). The caveat is that you are always under the influence of Savnok (ToM pg. 45-47), so yo cannot ever undone your armor or drop a shield (if you pick one).

Addendum if you coonsider using the tooth you might want to look at the Restful enhancement from Dungeonscape pg. 39.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 176 additional

While I think that Duke or URL has provided the correct RAW answer with regards to rounding, I feel it's notable to provide as evidence a monster statblock. The epic monster Genius Loci has a movement speed of 5 ft. and an associated -15 penalty to Jump checks (total mod +5 with a Strength of 50 and no ranks or other bonuses). This indicates that it may be the intention to halve the bonus/penalty when dealing with an increase or decrease of only 5 feet.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 177: No, a Bloodstorm Blade does not get new maneuvers since it does not specifically say that it does. Personally, I've never understood why it's even in that book instead of a CW web enhancement or something.

Q 178: A character with 1 level in Abjurant Champion gains Extend Abjuration. Could that character apply the Extend Spell feat to an abjuration spell affected by said class feature, tripling (quadrupling?) the duration of the spell?
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #323

A 176, additional

And indeed that was one of the options I was considering when I discussed "reasonable interpretations". Making the bonus/penalty +2/-3 per 5' movement difference would seem to make the most sense from both a RAI and verisimilitude standpoint.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kechlion View Post
    Thanks for that, but I still need to know if anyone has a ruling somewhere for the actual sound that it makes.
    A 167 additional Not that I am aware of.

This is the sort of thing that a DM must adjudicate for themselves. The SRD lists a number of DCs for the listen skill for various circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    {table]Listen DC|Sound
    -10|A battle
    0|People talking
    5|A person in medium armor walking at a slow pace (10 ft./round) trying not to make any noise.
    10|An unarmored person walking at a slow pace (15 ft./round) trying not to make any noise
    15|A 1st-level rogue using Move Silently to sneak past the listener[/table]
    Note that the DC of 10 equates to the average roll of an untrained individal with no dex bonus attempting to move silently. DC 15 equates to the average roll of a rogue with some skill ranks in move silent and a dex bonus. DC 5 equates to an individual attempting to move silently untrained with a armor check penalty. So you'd have to eyeball this yourself. For me I'd put it somewhere higher than 5 but lower than 10, and closer to 5. But this is rule 0 territory (DM Adjudication) and while rule 0 is RAW, the exact number is outside the scope of the thread.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Shouldn't a rogue moving silently be an opposed test instead of a flat DC?

Q 179

Does a Paladin of Tyranny or Slaughter who takes Blackguard levels benefit from having Paladin levels? Do the bonuses from divine grace and dark blessing stack?

26. - Top - End - #326

A (unnumbered). Yes.

Shouldn't a rogue moving silently be an opposed test instead of a flat DC?
    Listen vs. Move Silently is indeed an opposed check.

The DC 15 is for a 1st-level rogue, presumably using a standard NPC array of scores for a +1 Dexterity modifier and the maximum 4 ranks in Move Silently, taking 10.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

27. - Top - End - #327
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 179

Does a Paladin of Tyranny or Slaughter who takes Blackguard levels benefit from having Paladin levels? Do the bonuses from divine grace and dark blessing stack?
    A179: Yup.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    The DC 15 is for a 1st-level rogue, presumably using a standard NPC array of scores for a +1 Dexterity modifier and the maximum 4 ranks in Move Silently, taking 10.
    I was not aware that a 1st level rogue could take 10 on move silently checks. Is there any rule for this?

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q 180

From the SRD entry on Diplomacy:
    Synergy

If you have 5 or more ranks in Bluff, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), or Sense Motive, you get a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks.
    Do you get +6 to Diplomacy if you have 5 ranks Bluff, 5 ranks Knowledge (nobility and royalty), and 5 ranks Sense Motive?

30. - Top - End - #330
    Barbarian in the Playground

A bunch of linked questions...

Q181
    If an Artificer creates a wand of a wizard/sorceror spell (such as fireball), do they need to UMD it all the while?

Q182
    If an eternal wand is placed in a Warforged Wand Sheath (which states a wand can only be removed when it has no charges), is it stuck there?

Q183
    If the answer to Q182 is 'yes', is there a cheaper way to get a 'silenced' spell 2/day?
    Current Character: Pathfinder Tiefling Sorcerer (Abyssal Sorcerer 5, Souleater 1)
    Previous Favorite Characters:
    D&D1e: Elven Mage 15/Thief ??
    D&D2e: Saurian Necromancer 12
    D&D3e: Warforged Juggernaut 5/ Artificer 5/ Acolyte of the Skin 4
    D&D4e: Drow Swarm(?) Druid 3
    OWoD: Daughter of Cacophony
    NWoD: Galatea Promethean
    DH: Hiveborn Assassin 3
    Rifts: Nanobot Swarm / Airborne Computer Virus