1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Random Banter D&D 3.5e Campaign IC

OOC || Dice

Random Banter D&D 3.5e Campaign IC
    --

13:00, Saturday, Late Autumn, CI 200
    Market Square, Capel Kerig, Cymru, Hindrun, Prime Material Plane

The market square is buzzing with activity. People flit about from shop to shop, to roadside stall, to private homes, and to taverns and back again. The city’s bells chime once. The afternoon sun of late autumn has finally warmed the cobblestone and roof shingles, and Capel Kerig’s market district will be pleasantly warm for the next few hours before the cold breeze to the sea steals the heat as the sun sinks below the horizon. A cloud passes over the sun, and a few people not warmly-dressed shiver and curse the god of their choice for the sudden cold, or utter a quick prayer for warmer weather. Soon enough, it passes, and the sun shines on the square again.

Horns sound in the distance. The keener-eared folk suddenly stop and listen; most shrug, and go about their business, and some others turn and quickly make their way inside. A small group of city guards shoo people out of the middle of the streets, and you can hear someone shouting: “Make way! The army returns! General Holtti and Prince Brynne’s army is coming home! Victory is ours!”

Caught near to each other in the crowd are a handful of unusual individuals. A tall, muscular man in gleaming mithril armor looks over the peasants, a glaive stowed behind his back. There is an elven woman with wild chestnut hair, who seems somewhat unnerved by the oppressive mass of people, and a short, middle-aged man who smells slightly of alcohol and seems lost in thought. Next to them stands a grey elf with silver hair and a stern, determined look about him. He flicks the hair out of his face as they wait for the army to return.

--

The horns sound again, this time much closer. A man behind you sighs heavily and gruffly mutters “Are they really going to parade around the whole city this time too? At least I don’t have to watch Brynne and Holtti bicker for the whole procession now that I’m not in the service. You’d think someone stuck pins in their sides the way they go at it… I’m honestly surprised they can keep it together well enough to command the same bloody army!” He sighs again, and then begins to push his way to the back of the crowd, saying to no one in particular: “Tell Amanda that I’ve gone to clean the rooms. I heard through the grapevine we’ve got a few important guests from out of town that are going to be staying tonight, and gods forbid there’s a damned speck in one of their rooms. The old woman’ll have my head!”

Soon, the officers parade through the city. Before the procession reaches the market square, you hear the cheering crowd by the city gates falls silent. Three heralds bearing red and white flags lead them, followed by a casket and pallbearers. Behind them ride two men in a chariot – one wears white and red robes, and wears a silver circlet, and the other is dressed in a white military uniform, and carries a large, two-handed sword. They are followed by a small group of officers, some in military garb, and others simply in armour. There are gasps as the procession passes, and the crowd surrounding you grows quiet. An old woman next to you whispers “Oh, gods… Brynne is dead… the emperor’s son is dead… havoc will rain down upon this city… gods help us all.” Other people in the crowd whisper similar pleas, and you can hear a few people sobbing.

--

Soon, the procession passes and, and the crowd begins to scatter and break apart. A man in an official-looking red and white uniform carrying a bag over his shoulder walks up to the old woman and says, “Mrs. Amanda Rhodri, right? I have a few letters for some of your guests. Let’s see…” He begins searching through his bag, and finally procures five envelopes. “One Alphonse, Jade Dragon; one Béla, mage; one Lucas Espenshade; and one Tass, of the Porling Forest. Oh, and there’s one for you, milady. Good day!”

The old woman turns around and shouts “GREGORY!” then looks at you as a group. “Do any of you know where I could find these people? I don’t think they’re staying at my inn, but I didn’t have the heart to tell that to the postman. The letters have this official seal on them, so I would think they’re pretty important. I’d hate for one of these fine people to lose their mail…”
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-03-31 at 03:11 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Random Banter D&D 3.5e Campaign IC

As if with a spring in his step, the tall, mythril plated man heads over when he hears the red and white robed man call his name.

He gives a polite bow, and says "Ah, fair innkeeper, I go by the name Alphonse, the Jade Dragon."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Béla shoots a glance at the lady. I am Béla, Béla says.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Amanda takes a step back, then regains her composure. "Oh, my, lucky you, then, to be standing here! Here you go, young man! And you too, sir!" She hands Alphonse and Béla their envelopes. "Amanda Rhodri, at your service."

Spoiler: Alphonse's Letter
    Show
    Dear Alphonse;

It has been brought to my attention - by parties that wish to remain unnamed - that you have a certain talent for investigating unusual circumstances and exploring dangerous locales. Your presence is requested - but not required - at the feast tonight; if at all possible, please plan to attend. General Holtti and I wish to speak business with you, as we have been made aware that your skill with a variety of weapons - polearms in particular - is extensive, and wish you to employ your talent in these areas to our - mutual - ends. General Holtti has assured me that you will receive due recompense, should you accept our offer. Enclosed is an invitation with my signature; should anyone take issue with it, please refer them to me. As a gesture of my good will, I have taken the liberty of paying for a night's stay at the Hog's Head Inn.

In addition, I have been informed that the entertainment for tonight's feast is quite impressive. Even if you decline this offer, I encourage you to attend the feast for the food and entertainment.

Sincerely,
    Prince Wuscfrea

Spoiler: Béla's Letter
    Show
    Dear Béla;

It has been brought to my attention - by parties that wish to remain unnamed - that you have a certain talent for investigating unusual circumstances and exploring exotic locales. Your presence is requested - but not required - at the feast tonight; if at all possible, please plan to attend. General Holtti and I wish to speak business with you, as we have been made aware that your skill with magic - arcane magic, to be precise - is rather impressive, and wish you to employ your talent in this areas to our - mutual - ends. General Holtti has assured me that you will receive due recompense, should you accept our offer. Enclosed is an invitation with my signature; should anyone take issue with it, please refer them to me. As a gesture of my good will, I have taken the liberty of paying for a night's stay at the Hog's Head Inn.

In addition, I have been informed that the entertainment for tonight's feast is quite impressive. Even if you decline this offer, I encourage you to attend the feast for the food and entertainment.

Sincerely,
    Prince Wuscfrea

Each envelope also contains a small slip of parchment paper with a nigh-incomprehensible signature at the bottom.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-01-11 at 10:03 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Is there anything enclosed in the envelope?

Spoiler
    Show
    Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

6. - Top - End - #6

After reading through the letter, Alphonse tucks it back into the envelope and pockets it.

He gives Amanda a small bow and asks where the Hog's Head Inn is.

OOC: Still at work, leaving soon. Want to roll a check to determine what the fight was about that killed the Prince. Will roll when home.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, that would be right here, sir!" Amanda turns and points at the building behind her. She continues absentmindedly, "Now, normally Gregory is out here to help me manage it... My husband left me this inn to run after he passed away, but Gregory's been such a help... Where is the old bastard? He had better not have slunk off to the cellar again to drink... GREGORY!"

The Hog's Head Inn is a well-built, but fairly plain two-story building. It's made from thick logs, and has a shingled roof, like many of the other buildings in the market square. An unobtrusive sign with "Hog's Head Inn" painted on it hangs over the door. There are stables off to the side of the building, and you can make out the scents of fresh hay and ale emanating from the stables and the inn, respectively.

Spoiler: Alphonse
    Show
    You know that Prince Brynne and General Holtti have led several battles with warlords in the north (most frequently raiders from across the mountains, although there have been a few that led poorly-organized rebellions against the Cymran Empire) over the past several years. They are returning from a series of such battles today, although you don't know the name of any warlords involved.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-01-12 at 01:36 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

8. - Top - End - #8

"Thank you, fair innkeeper. Now, I hope not to intrude, but I recall hearing someone say they were going off to clean the rooms, for some 'important guests'. Seeing as how my night's stay has been paid for, I'd hazard a guess and say I'm one of them." Alphonse poses slightly, as if awaiting a breeze to pass by and flutter his cloak and burnished brown locks "I see my reputation proceeds me. What say you, Sir...Bela, I believe it was?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Haven't heard of you.
    Last edited by Cuthalion; 2014-01-12 at 10:39 AM.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

10. - Top - End - #10

Alphonse cringes, though manages to keep his cool somewhat "I, er...meant in regards to the letter, Sir Bela. They do, after all, all carry an official seal."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Alphonse cringes, though manages to keep his cool somewhat "I, er...meant in regards to the letter, Sir Bela. They do, after all, all carry an official seal."
    Béla glares at him. If this feast is as big as it sounds, we are lucky they didn't get us accommodations at a different inn. There will be many more more important guests. He turns his back on Alphonse and starts walking lightly towards the Hog's Head.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Tass sighs with relief and lets herself catch her breath as the crowd disperses. Managing a much less confident demeanor than her forest green dragonhide armour, the scales barely visible behind the many pelts, paws, tails, horns, teeth, pieces of rare wood and curious rocks she's collected during her journeys, would make you expect, she almost jumps upon hearing her name. When the large fighter and the surly mage starts walking away, she gathers enough courage to walk up to the innkeepress.

Hello. I heard my name mentioned in the crowd. Tass, that's me. You... have a letter for me, yes?
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh, here you are, dear!" Amanda hands you your letter. "My, so many of you, all right next to each other! Are you traveling as a group?" She drifts off and begins to talk absentmindedly again. "I remember some groups of odd folk that passed through here just a few weeks ago... now, what were their names, Gregory... GREGO--"

At this moment, a short, muscular man with thinning black hair and a greying stubble bursts out of the inn's door. He speaks to Amanda in the same gruff voice that you heard in the crowd earlier. "Yes, woman, I'm here! There's no need to shout! Now, either leave these good people alone or sell them rooms already; there's a feast tonight, and you know that means people pay better." He slides up next to her and looks at the two remaining envelopes. "Espenshade, huh? I remember stopping by a tavern by that name a while ago... Espenshade's Easery, I think it was. Some of the best ale I ever got my hands on! I might even have a bottle down in the cellar, if you haven't drunk us dry yet, you old bat." He takes the other letter and motions for you to follow him inside. "If Amanda's not sold you a room yet, then I'll give it a shot, eh? Ha ha! And if I can't do that, then I'll give you a mug of ale for the trouble, anyway. Come on in!"

Spoiler: Tass
    Show

Dear Tass;

It has been brought to my attention - by parties that wish to remain unnamed - that you have a certain talent for investigating unusual circumstances and exploring exotic locales. Your presence is requested - but not required - at the feast tonight; if at all possible, please plan to attend. General Holtti and I wish to speak business with you, as we have been made aware that your knowledge of nature and the wilds is extensive - as well as your skills as a scout, and wish you to employ your talent in these areas to our - mutual - ends. General Holtti has assured me that you will receive due recompense, should you accept our offer. Enclosed is an invitation with my signature; should anyone take issue with it, please refer them to me. As a gesture of my good will, I have taken the liberty of paying for a night's stay at the Hog's Head Inn.

Sincerely,
    Prince Wuscfrea
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-01-12 at 10:39 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

14. - Top - End - #14

"A mug of ale sounds wonderful, my friend. I shan't say we were traveling as a group, but assuming the contents of my letter match that of Sir Bela and the others, perhaps we will." Alphonse answers, and he'll head into the bar.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Bela walks next to him for a piece; then, turning lightly, says, "I have a scrap of parchment here, signed by a prince, saying my room has been payed for. Do you have a register wherein the transaction could have been written?"
    Show
    You're my favorite.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Lucas is brought from his thoughts of alternate ways to prepare cloves at the mention of "Espenshade's Easery", and studies the man who spoke of it. He has the recognizable dress and demeanor of a man of business, but also seemed to have a fierce look about him. He smiles, obviously pleased at the compliment.

"I might 'haps be able to assist in replenishing those reserves, sir, should I have the opportunity to," Lucas says beaming, and extending a hand. "Lucas Espenshade. I take it you run this establishment?" he asks, studying the Hog's Head's outer layout.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Gregory grasps your hand firmly and shakes it. "Well, you could say that, although Amanda's the one that owns the place. And I'd be glad to buy or trade for some of your ale. Oh, and I think this is for you." He hands you your letter. "Join us inside, good man!"

Spoiler: Lucas
    Show

Dear Lucas,

It has been brought to my attention - by parties that wish to remain unnamed - that you have a certain talent for investigating unusual circumstances and exploring exotic locales. Your presence is requested - but not required - at the feast tonight; if at all possible, please plan to attend. General Holtti and I wish to speak business with you, as we have been made aware that your skill with magic - divine magic and alchemy, to be precise - is rather impressive, and wish you to employ your talent in these areas to our - mutual - ends. General Holtti has assured me that you will receive due recompense, should you accept our offer. Enclosed is an invitation with my signature; should anyone take issue with it, please refer them to me. As a gesture of my good will, I have taken the liberty of paying for a night's stay at the Hog's Head Inn.

Sincerely,
    Prince Wuscfrea

Post Script: It has been brought to my attention that one of my chefs would like to speak with you regarding some ale of yours. It could be to your advantage to bring a few bottles with you to the feast, should you choose to attend.

The inside of the Hog's Head Inn is similarly simple. Some tables are scattered here and there, and a hearty fire burns in a fireplace. The interior is sparsely decorated, although two things stand out to you: Each table is adorned with a small candle-holder, and a large, tusked skull sits on the mantle. There is a bar that runs along part of the back wall, and stairs leading to the second floor.

Gregory walks to behind the bar and pours five mugs of ale, then says, "A prince, eh? Hrm... I certainly don't remember anyone claiming to be a prince and paying for a room --or being sober at the same time, for that matter-- but maybe he paid Amanda."

He reaches under the counter and pulls out a massive ledger covered in scratches and stains, and full of earmarks. He opens it nearly completely in the middle, and slides his finger down the page, then shakes his head slowly. "Hrm... No, I've got no record of any prince for the past week or so, and none of these names sound like a prince, either. No rooms paid in advance under any name, for that matter, so unless your prince planned on stopping by in the next couple of hours, I'd say he's either gonna be a no-show, or you've got a forg- wait."

Gregory stops and thinks for a second, then opens Amanda's letter and reads it. He quickly glances down at the inside of the envelope, and his eyes widen. "Well, then. I believe you've got a room after all. One for each of you! I'll put you in the four rooms upstairs, at the end of the hallway. Pleased to meet each and every one of you, and all apologies if I've been less than polite." He bows, and carefully pulls a few platinum coins out of the envelope.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-01-13 at 01:48 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

18. - Top - End - #18

"Thank you kindly, Sir Innkeeper." Alphonse says, sitting down at the bar to lightly sip his ale. "And no trouble about any impoliteness, it's not every day something such as this happens, it's to be expected." He then turns to the others, eyeing them all, lingering slightly on Tass "So, what say we get to know each other better, while we can? Dinner loves company, after all."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Béla grunts and sits down in front of his ale. You first.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

20. - Top - End - #20

Alphonse smirks "Very well then. I am Alphonse, the Jade Dragon. Mercenary extraordinaire. As you can tell..." he reaches back to tap the head of his glaive "I use a polearm."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Lucas returns the grasp in kind, and asks for the Innkeeper's name. At the offer of the letter, Lucas looks surprised and confused, but tears open the envelope, and his bushy brows raise in surprise. He follows the man in, looking around at the layout and nods approvingly. Not a man of frivolity. A man after my own heart, he thinks to himself.

As Lucas seats himself, his primary questions for the barkeep leave him as he listens to the exchange between him and the man and the polearm. Stranger and stranger. Still, he won't pass up anything to his advantage. A free meal, and a possible job, a free room? Better and better, with heaps of better to boot. It seemed to him that Aeribrar was sending one of his lovely pushes in the right direction. What would come of it, Lucas would see.

With his right hand, Lucas takes the tankard and sniffs it gently to see what kind it might be, and listens silently to the others as they exchange information until their gazes fall upon him.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Having calmed down in the more secluded environment, Tass acknowledge Alphonse's gaze with a slight nod before she sits down and takes her ale as well. She looks at the mug with what almost seems like pity, before taking a mouthful of it, listening to Alphonse introducing herself. Realising the slightly awkward silence left behind him a second late, she feels compelled to pick up the thread.

I'm Tass, of the Porling Forest the other side of the mountains.
    *Tass gestures eastwards*
    I travel the world and wilds so that I one day may understand it all.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Bela stares at his ale. "I am Béla, wizard," he clarifies.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

And I'm Lucas Espenshade, Cleric of Aeribrar, and brewer of all manner of potions and such, says Lucas, setting aside his mug and raising his hand in greeting.

He was very interested in the woman of the wilds - Tass. If there was a chance to, one who was well versed in nature might be able to tell him more about herbs and spices that were found around the world. Oh what he could learn from her...

Lucas then realizes that of the group, only Alphonse had taken a drink of their ale, which he felt would in short order be taken as rude to their host. So, he snatched the mug back up and says - I can assure you all, one drink will not kill you. He raises a toast to the group, toasts to the Barkeep, and downs the mug.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-01-15 at 09:24 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

25. - Top - End - #25

Alphonse laughs "Your definition of drink seems at odds with my own, Sir Lucas" Alphonse then takes another light sip of his ale. He turns to Tass "So, Lady Tass, if I may ask, from where did you find that dragon's hide that you wear as armour?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd prefer Pere Lucas if you care to be formal, but you can just shorten it to Lucas for want of brevity. For you, would you want me to call you "Alphonse, The Jade Dragon" whenever I wanted to get your attention? He smiles ernestly.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

27. - Top - End - #27

"Of course, Pere Lucas. It's just a habit of mine. And though I do so love hearing my full title, 'Alphonse' is fine." he answers, smiling as well, taking another sip of his drink.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2014-01-15 at 10:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Bela sighs. "Free beer is never good beer." He calls out, "Any chance of getting an... even better quality ale?"
    Show
    You're my favorite.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

"And my name's Gregory, barkeep and retired soldier." He sits down and smiles. "I've found that the skills complement each other nicely."

Gregory takes a sip of the ale and nearly spews. "AMANDA! What's this crap ale you're keeping up here?" He looks at the four of you, slightly horrified, and says, "All apologies for the drink - now, I'm going to go get you lot something good from the cellar. Any preference? This one's on the house, courtesy of the man that paid your rooms."

He gets up and walks over to the door, and leaves for the cellar once you've made your requests.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2014-01-15 at 11:54 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

30. - Top - End - #30

Alphonse gives a glib smirk "Some wine would be nice, but nothing to strong or large, after all we have a dinner to attend this evening."