New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firefox Quantum

1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Firefox Quantum

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Since most people have the browser window maximized (that's why they invented Tabbed browsing after all; it's easier than alt-tabbing between browser windows) maybe nobody in the usability testing actually ran it non-maximized? Or it simply isn't an issie any of the testers thought of?
    That just reinforces veti's point. If Mozilla really are so slack in their testing regimen that they never test their browser non-maximised then there's something very wrong. Also, would need a [citation needed] on your "most people have the browser window maximized"? At least two people in this thread (myself and veti) do not. I don't know veti's reasons for that, but mine are quite simple--I need to be able to see other things onscreen at the same time as the browser window, especially when I'm at work, and I don't have (or desire) two monitors.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    And that's the problem, right there. Developers get used to their own way of doing things, and forget that others do it differently. This is why serious software companies do usability testing.

But not Mozilla, apparently. Which is sad.
    And clearly that is exactly what happened, since there's that issue, the font and button size issue... It is quite abundantly clear they didn't think about anything other than the way they used the program.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Again though; it went through a lot of testing over at least a year if not more. And it fits me like a glove. But again they're going more mainstream with their interface; the button size and window placement etc matches both Chrome and Edge.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

4. - Top - End - #34

BlackDragon

NoScript finally released for Firefox 57. UI has changed somewhat, though.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    NoScript finally released for Firefox 57. UI has changed somewhat, though.
    And it's lost of a lot of the functionality it used to have, specifically it's having the same issues that the new gestures addon is where it won't work on some pages because the new FF version disables addons on them.

Really I just don't get Quantum. I understand you want speed and security, but if you're sacrificing usability and functionality to get there...well then you're getting rid of a lot of your market to serve a few. Based on the way things have been going with addons it looks like I'm going to have to move away from core FF because it can no longer do what I need it to do, and that's really quite sad. Why would anyone think it was a good idea to remove functionality in the new version of your browser? Seems very backwards to me. The reason FF was my primary browser for years was because it could do everything I wanted a browser to do. Now it can't...and that's kind of sad.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    And it's lost of a lot of the functionality it used to have, specifically it's having the same issues that the new gestures addon is where it won't work on some pages because the new FF version disables addons on them.

Really I just don't get Quantum. I understand you want speed and security, but if you're sacrificing usability and functionality to get there...well then you're getting rid of a lot of your market to serve a few. Based on the way things have been going with addons it looks like I'm going to have to move away from core FF because it can no longer do what I need it to do, and that's really quite sad. Why would anyone think it was a good idea to remove functionality in the new version of your browser? Seems very backwards to me. The reason FF was my primary browser for years was because it could do everything I wanted a browser to do. Now it can't...and that's kind of sad.
    I get that. I don't get what you need it to do, but I get the frustration.

I NEED my browser to do the following:
    1. Correctly display homepages

...And that's it.

I WANT my browser to also do:
    2. Be reasonably safe
    3. Allow for addons to block ads
    4. Allow for addons to improve life, such as better controlling Youtube

Again, that's it. When it comes to basic security I trust the combination of my IP:s hardware firewall, my router's hardware firewall and my computer's software firewall in conjunction with a good DNS servce and a good anti-virus/anti-malware program. Adding additional security in the actual browser is a bonus, but if it gets annoying the functionality will be removed immediately.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-11-21 at 02:10 PM.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I get that. I don't get what you need it to do, but I get the frustration.
    Entirely fair. That's why multiple browsers is great, because everyone can get what they want. I've recommended Chrome to many people who just wanted a simple browser, because it's not as bloated as (pre-57) FF and it gets the job done. Now I can recommend Quantum to them, but I've also lost the browser I used to use, the one that let users customize it to their heart's content. I suppose it was to be expected, it kind of started with them pulling the addon bar suddenly and without warning, but it's sad to see the browser that used to be the customizer's dream become just another Chrome. We already have Chrome, why do we need FF to be Chrome as well?

I want a browser that can save pages and easily access those saved pages, like FF 56 with Scrapbook. One that has full gesture support (like Chrome does, but not the cut-down 'works on some pages but not others' stuff Quantum has right now). And one that lets me disable all scripts on sites I don't visit that often so I don't have to deal with popup ads and annoyances that someone thought would be just 'so cool' to put on their page while I'm just trying to read. FF 56 was capable of all of that, and 57 isn't.

But hey, there's probably a browser out there I can use (I've heard of two spinoffs from FF 52, so will have to look into those). Just means moving further away from the mainstream browser to get what I need. It just irks me to see every browser becoming Chrome, first MS did it with Edge (although in that case IE did need to do something) and now FF has done it with Quantum. Chrome isn't even that great of a browser, why does every browser company want to become it?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

But hey, there's probably a browser out there I can use (I've heard of two spinoffs from FF 52, so will have to look into those). Just means moving further away from the mainstream browser to get what I need. It just irks me to see every browser becoming Chrome, first MS did it with Edge (although in that case IE did need to do something) and now FF has done it with Quantum. Chrome isn't even that great of a browser, why does every browser company want to become it?
    Waterfox - which I have literally just switched to - IS basically Firefox, but a 64-bit version and it's at v55 a week or two ago. (So you can even import your stuff and stuff like Classic Theme Restorer (and theorhetically some, but not all of your addons) will function.

I've gone and asked them whether they plan to "upgrade" (sic) to v57 eventually (with all that that entails), but in the immediate short term, Waterfox seems like the best option.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Waterfox - which I have literally just switched to - IS basically Firefox, but a 64-bit version and it's at v55 a week or two ago. (So you can even import your stuff and stuff like Classic Theme Restorer (and theorhetically some, but not all of your addons) will function.

I've gone and asked them whether they plan to "upgrade" (sic) to v57 eventually (with all that that entails), but in the immediate short term, Waterfox seems like the best option.
    Since vanilla Firefox has been 64 bit for a year now, Waterfox (was) not exactly neccesary anymore. But yes, if you want to revert back I would go Waterfox or Ice Dragon.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    Open "Customize" from the main menu. At the bottom of the tab there is am options for "Title Bar" and "Drag Space". Turn on whichever one you prefer to get the top of window drag handle back.
    Thank you. It's butt ugly, but it does resolve my biggest issue with the change.

I've been using Firefox since it was called Mozilla, and not going to switch lightly. But it does try my patience sometimes.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I loved Firefox's tab groups, and when they removed it, I had an extension to download. Unfortunately, the Tab Groups extension is no longer functional. I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggested extensions similar to Tab Group - I've been searching around, and I haven't really found anything, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    I loved Firefox's tab groups, and when they removed it, I had an extension to download. Unfortunately, the Tab Groups extension is no longer functional. I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggested extensions similar to Tab Group.
    The only one I've seen that still works is 'tree style tabs' - which may or may not do what you want it to, depending what that is... It's certainly a way of organising tabs; but whether it's compatible or helpful with your usage, only you can decide.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

The only one I've seen that still works is 'tree style tabs' - which may or may not do what you want it to, depending what that is... It's certainly a way of organising tabs; but whether it's compatible or helpful with your usage, only you can decide.
    Ah, that's what I feared... Thanks for your suggestion!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

Firefox Quantum is so buggy for me it's nearly unusable. New tabs frequently fail to display anything at all. I thought that maybe it was a bad interaction with NoScript, but I turned the extension off for a bit and it didn't fix anything. Is anybody else seeing behaviour like this?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
    Firefox Quantum is so buggy for me it's nearly unusable. New tabs frequently fail to display anything at all. I thought that maybe it was a bad interaction with NoScript, but I turned the extension off for a bit and it didn't fix anything. Is anybody else seeing behaviour like this?
    I don't, or I wouldn't have started this thread.
    It does sound like my wife's issues with the last version of firefox. We never really got to the bottom of what was causing it before she got a new computer and on that one it worked. Sorry I can't be more helpful; the only thing I can say for sure is that it might not be version specific but something else.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I just had it update immediately and I instantly hate it.

On top of the total lack of warning usuful when Firefox decides to do anything (because I have firefox open about sixteen hours a day EVERY DAY and this is the first I've heard of it), the new UI is utterly crap and once again, they have failed to provide any default useful customisation options.

I am absolutely livid. How the merry hell is my 90-year old grandmother with sight problems supposed to navigate this tiny crap, which has a smaller UI than most of my FRACKING GAMES?
    You all need to turn off updates. Turn them off and leave them off. If you're satisfied with your browser than you don't need updates.

And also switch to the Pale Moon fork and abandon regular Firefox

http://www.palemoon.org/
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-11-23 at 05:16 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

From what I've seen of it, it is slightly faster at rendering Javascript applications than previous versions but it is still significantly slower than Chrome at rendering Javascript.
    Pokémon Stuff: FC 3093-8484-9162 | Friend Safari Sunkern, Swadloon, Quilladin | List of Pokémon
    B-Kachu: Oo! Inconspicuous cookie with a string attached to it! *nom*
    Last.fm | Steam ID | YouTube

Quotes inside:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ego Slayer View Post
    • B-Man is frickin' kick-ass in person.
    • The Metric System is more Awesome than Americans, and you all know it!
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    I'd respond, but I suddenly suspect that you are far too young to post here.

18. - Top - End - #48

mad Re: Firefox Quantum

...it's sad to see the browser that used to be the customizer's dream become just another Chrome. We already have Chrome, why do we need FF to be Chrome as well?
    Well, that's been Mozilla's aim since AT LEAST Australis (what, 29?). (Really, their UI has been on a downward spiral since the version-boosting started around 4, apart from moving stuff from pop-ups into tabs). ESR versions, CTR and S4E kept me going until this point. No more. Quantum is the last straw.

I still have ESR 52, but I'm trying out Waterfox right now (although I'm concerned about its longevity since only one guy seems to be working on it) and side-eyeing Pale Moon. With the crippled add-on support, Quantum is useless to me. If I want Chrome, I'll use... well, Chromium or Vivaldi, but close enough.

[Oh, and FF Android 57 also forces white theme with no dark option, except in Private Browsing. Yay...]
    Last edited by Reboot; 2017-11-23 at 07:20 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    You all need to turn off updates. Turn them off and leave them off. If you're satisfied with your browser than you don't need updates.
    That's extremely dangerous from a security point of view. Keeping OS & browser up to date is the single most important thing you can do to keep your computer safe. (Yes, more important than an anti-virus program.)

If you're running an old version of Firefox, I promise you the hackers have figured out many, many ways to corrupt it and make it download their ransomware / keylogger / redirection tool / whatever. The maker of Firefox have fixed most of those but... you're choosing not get those fixes.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

To each his or her own. This is the best UI for firefox yet, IMHO.
    Still not sure why they insist on the separate search bar, since you have been able to use the main adress bar for search for years though.

Edit: Huh, apparently it is not supposed to be enabled by default, but mine was. Maybe because I'm on the Beta release channel.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2017-11-25 at 04:24 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

BlackDragon

Edit: Huh, apparently it is not supposed to be enabled by default, but mine was. Maybe because I'm on the Beta release channel.
    I have a separate search bar as well and I've never touched beta versions of Firefox--I think it's more likely they decided to keep it separate for people who upgraded from earlier versions, rather than installing 57 clean, so that they didn't get as many "Where's the search bar gone?" questions.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Still not sure why they insist on the separate search bar, since you have been able to use the main adress bar for search for years though.
    The issue with using the main address bar for search is that if you have that enabled, every keystroke you enter into it gets sent immediately to Google. Even if you paste a complete URL straight into the address bar, Google (or your favoured search provider) gets it within milliseconds.

Some people, me included, find that troubling from a privacy point of view. So Mozilla, wisely I think, gives you the option not to do it. (Unlike Chrome, which is all about sending as much information to Google as humanly possible.)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground

The issue with using the main address bar for search is that if you have that enabled, every keystroke you enter into it gets sent immediately to Google. Even if you paste a complete URL straight into the address bar, Google (or your favoured search provider) gets it within milliseconds.

Some people, me included, find that troubling from a privacy point of view. So Mozilla, wisely I think, gives you the option not to do it. (Unlike Chrome, which is all about sending as much information to Google as humanly possible.)
    Indeed, I won't touch Chrome. For that and a variety of other reasons
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

I prefer the separation because then typing an url won't suddely do a search and you end up somewhere Google thought you might be heading.

A fact my mother can't grasp on her iPad dispite me telling her this every single time.