New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Some Migrants Have Arrived

Playing Dwarf Fortress and still trying to figure everything out. I got the notice that migrants had arrived and then the screen changed to a place where I don't have anything built. I can only see a small portion of land and there are no dwarves on screen. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen or if I'm just having a bad luck streak.

How do I fix this?

Thanks so so so much, Sam

Edit: It seems that I'm far to the right of the area my stuff is in and I can't move the screen back to it.
    Last edited by sambouchah; 2013-07-29 at 03:36 PM.
    Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for my awesome avatar! Thanks to my friend John Thompson for the original photo.

You may call me Pokefan Sam.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Some Migrants Have Arrived

Press space to unpause and let the dwarves come from that side of the screen. They are currently off the map, that's why you cannot see them.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    Press space to unpause and let the dwarves come from that side of the screen. They are currently off the map, that's why you cannot see them.
    About how long should this take?
    Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for my awesome avatar! Thanks to my friend John Thompson for the original photo.

You may call me Pokefan Sam.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sambouchah View Post
    About how long should this take?
    The first one should appear quite quickly, within 10 frames at the most. If you have a meeting zone or meeting hall set and accessible from the surface, the first migrant should quickly start moving towards it. Otherwise, the first migrant will wander randomly until they've become "naturalized" (meaning the grey X stops flashing over them). Additional migrants will appear after the first one has moved.

If you're having difficulty finding your fort, hit F1. This hotkey is set to where your initial wagon was unless you've changed it. You might also try hitting TAB a few times. This will toggle the sidebar and/or map on and off, and since the map is kind of useless toggling it so that the sidebar shows up and the map doesn't will show twice as much of the main playing view.