New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Final Fantasy

What is the best final fantasy game and why?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Blue1005 View Post
    What is the best final fantasy game and why?

This belongs over in the Gaming(OTHER) forum: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    This belongs over in the Gaming(OTHER) forum: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26
    Fair enough, I didnt see that one. Is there anyway an Admin can move it? Or do i have to delete it and try again?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Easiest way is to report your own post (triangle with an exclamation mark underneath your avatar) and request a move in the form.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

IMO, FF7 is easily the best. It's arguably one of the best console rpg's of all time. The plot is solid, the music is fantastic, the characters are (mostly) energetic and unique. It's just a great game.

Second best: FF5. The job system gives an otherwise cliche' game so much replay value it's insane. Again, the characters are fun and energetic, and there're some goofy moments you can't help laughing at. Another square-enix gem.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

One of the weak points of FF V is that some of the high level skills like X-Shot with the Archer or Dual Wielding on the Ninja are grindtastic nightmares.

I prefer number 6 myself. The characters are plentiful and varied and the game features the single best villain in any FF game.

*insert creepy laugh here*

7. - Top - End - #7
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

I only played X and on. X was pretty good, actually.

I PLAYED VII and IX, but I didn't get very far. They were both borrowed from a friend and I had to give them back. =/

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

My favorite is Final Fantasy Tactics. It's better by far than any other games. The plot is more solid, the system is more engaging, the main character is more likeable.

VI and IV follow closely behind.

At the bottom of the barrel, the worst games in the series are Tactics Advance and X-2.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

For me it's a tie between Tactics and IX: Both had solid characters that were not emo's (I am looking at you VII and VIII) with solid music, rich plots and good gameplay. If anyone wants a laugh I suggest watching Awesome Fantasy VII... though it may annoy some fanboys of VII lol
    Last edited by Morbis Meh; 2012-09-20 at 11:19 AM.
    Blarg...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis Meh View Post
    For me it's a tie between Tactics and IX: Both had solid characters that were not emo's (I am looking at you VII and VIII) with solid music, rich plots and good gameplay. If anyone wants a laugh I suggest watching Awesome Fantasy VII... though it may annoy some fanboys of VII lol
    I think the term 'emo' has been thrown around so much that people have exaggerated caricatures of what it actually means.

Taking the typical definition of emo as "particularly emotional, sensitive, shy, introverted, or angst-ridden", Cloud can be argued to be angst ridden if you count suffering from borderline PTSD to be angsty, and Squall only really hits the introverted mark - he's definitely not emotional or sensitive as he's shut himself down to stop being hurt any more.

Hell, if you're labelling Cloud and Squall as emo because they hit one of the five descriptors, then Asura from Asura's Wrath could be argued to be emo with the angst over his dead wife and kidnapped daughter driving him.

Back to the original topic, my favourite FF games were Tactics, X and if it counts, Vagrant Story.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Out of the ones I've played (up to FF10):

6 had the best story, best characters, best villain.
    10 had the best game mechanics, best summoning.
    9 had the best airships, best chocobos, and best minigames.
    4 had the best jokes, second best villain, and they went to the friggin Moon!

Overall, my favorite is still FF6.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    My favorite is Final Fantasy Tactics. It's better by far than any other games. The plot is more solid, the system is more engaging, the main character is more likeable.
    I agree with you for the most part except the end. Ramza is a total blank slate. We learn almost nothing about him.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Is this really a good idea? This tends to be one of those hot button issues that destroys friendships, get people banned and will probably start wars a few decades down the line.

And just to prove that, I'll name my favorite. XIII. The battle system is fast and engaging, while also being far more complex and tactical than most people give it credit for. The setting design is quite good, though not as much as that of XII, and the main cast is far better developed than in any other game in the series.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Of those I've played enough to judge them... I'm going to have to go with 1. I can enjoy a straightforward, old-school dungeon-crawling RPG quite a bit at times, and that was a good one.

The others that I've played and liked were 4 and 10. 10 had the best combat mechanics in the series, hands down, but then there's the story. 4 was fairly good, and I'd likely have a higher opinion of it had I played it when it was at least relatively new, but I've only been trying the series for the past five years or so, so it was showing its age by the time I played it.

Since the discussion is supposed about our favorites, I'll refrain from saying what I thought of the others I've played (8, 10-2, 12, 13), and just mention that I've tried 7 and 9, but not gotten far enough in them to judge them. In both cases I was interrupted by the release of a new game I wanted to play more, and haven't yet gone back to them. I will say that I was finding myself annoyed by 7's overuse of mini-games, though.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Is this really a good idea? This tends to be one of those hot button issues that destroys friendships, get people banned and will probably start wars a few decades down the line.

And just to prove that, I'll name my favorite. XIII. The battle system is fast and engaging, while also being far more complex and tactical than most people give it credit for. The setting design is quite good, though not as much as that of XII, and the main cast is far better developed than in any other game in the series.
    I do give FF XIII credit for it's battle system, as a resident Final Fantasy buff, I found the combat the second most enjoyable part about FF XIII, (next to the story, which I found moving.), however the endless hallways really threw me off. I never felt like I was making progress so much as seeing the next change of scenery.

I come to Final Fantasy expecting a long game, yes, but I come to final fantasy also expecting a bit of freedom, to go back to pointless location x or y and get some bonus by doing a stupid minigame like chocobo racing, or playing a card game for 6 hours.

Final Fantasy needs a bit more of that, it may have faltered in FF XI but that's because you expected people to pay for cards to play a game that was niche with free cards against AI.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

My personal favorite is IV being the first I played, and I've completed it too many times to count on multiple platforms.

However I did like Crises Core quite a lot, I liked the character of Zak, the real time system of combat and the general plot.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

My favorite is Mardek RPG, a series of three free online flash game on Kongregate based off FF, and with a brilliant memory saver graphics trick called "exploration mode uses 8-bit graphics, but combat has some great 2d graphics".

Mostly because I've never played any actual FF games. >_>

But seriously, Mardek probably has the best zero-movement turn-based combat system I've played (which has a 99% chance of also being from one of the FF games). It's turn-based, sure, but if you time it right and press the key or click the mouse (I forget which), you get a bonus which raises damage of your attack or decreases damage of opponent's. It's also got a minor rock-paper-scissors thing, just enough to reward assigning certain team members to use certain moves against certain monsters, but not so much that it's an auto-win if you get the strengths and weaknesses down.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-09-20 at 07:02 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    But seriously, Mardek probably has the best zero-movement turn-based combat system I've played (which has a 99% chance of also being from one of the FF games). It's turn-based, sure, but if you time it right and press the key or click the mouse (I forget which), you get a bonus which raises damage of your attack or decreases damage of opponent's.
    This is more commonly associated with the Super/Paper Mario RPGs, actually. Only one FF had such a mechanic that I can recall, and that was on a single character in 8.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I prefer number 6 myself. The characters are plentiful and varied and the game features the single best villain in any FF game.

*insert creepy laugh here*
    Seconding this. We're talking about Ultros, right? (just kidding) But yeah, where most FF baddies are serious about their work, Kefka has a grand old time! Being evil is a BLAST!

For me:
    6 - Kefka, Mog, the Opera Scene and Terra's Theme are reasons enough
    9 - Vivi and everything that was awesome about FF up to that point combined
    12 - One of my favorite worlds/stories (doubly so since it's from the perspective of a relatively minor character, which is brilliant) and I liked the license board
    7 - Listen to Aerith's Theme (though I still think of her as Aeris). Makes me cry every damn time.
    1 - How many years later, and I still replay it and have fun, every time!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    This is more commonly associated with the Super/Paper Mario RPGs, actually. Only one FF had such a mechanic that I can recall, and that was on a single character in 8.
    Yeah, I have Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door.

The Super Mario games use a real time combat/exploration system, like a fully 3d version of the regular Mario games.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I'd say...

FFTA. It's a fun game where you get to be the omnicidal villain for a change, instead of the hero who tries to stop him.

Or V. Because GILGAMESH!
    Last edited by The-Mage-King; 2012-09-20 at 07:51 PM.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... I reallly liked 8. Except for the fact that ever fifteen minutes, or just when it was getting Fun, Rinoa would pop up again.

I loved 9. After finishing 7, and 8, and liking both, I really, really liked 9. The romance was there, and well written, but not intrusive. The characters that did die were neither main party members, nor were they so totally unlikable that you JUST DIDN'T CARE that they were dead. While Kuja was totally his own villian, it was like he'd studied Kefka's work and wondered 'how can I get close to that?' He didn't quite make it, but he gave it his all. What more can you ask from a villian?

Tactics? I freaking loved Tactics. I know ins and outs of that game that make a person cry. I know how to disassemble every single fight and win, with one annoying exception that caught more people off guard than any one I ever remember anywhere. If you've played it, you know. If not, you probably still know. Weigraf! I had at one point memorized the Calculator Table and large pieces of the BMG. (Not a mis-spelling.)

I played III/VI, it was good, but I was out of place to really enjoy it. I was too late and had heard too much about it to really feel it. It was still fun.

I played II/IV as well. And it was also good. Yet... it just wasn't as good as IX. It's an unfair comparison, I know, but it just wasn't.

I played I. I've NEVER finished it. Not even the GBA version with MP. That saddens me.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tactics and Six.
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    IMO, FF7 is easily the best. It's arguably one of the best console rpg's of all time. The plot is solid, the music is fantastic, the characters are (mostly) energetic and unique. It's just a great game.

Second best: FF5. The job system gives an otherwise cliche' game so much replay value it's insane. Again, the characters are fun and energetic, and there're some goofy moments you can't help laughing at. Another square-enix gem.
    I love 7 and would in fact wet myself a little if they were to redo it and put in on PS3.

In a close second I would think that 3 is the best (espers) and the story was really cool and still fun to play even this day.

It really broke my heart this month when Enix released the new FF on ipad and put an ungodly price of 30$ on it. I think they missed the mark and that will only hurt them if they dont lower it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Hmm... I reallly liked 8. Except for the fact that ever fifteen minutes, or just when it was getting Fun, Rinoa would pop up again.

I loved 9. After finishing 7, and 8, and liking both, I really, really liked 9. The romance was there, and well written, but not intrusive. The characters that did die were neither main party members, nor were they so totally unlikable that you JUST DIDN'T CARE that they were dead. While Kuja was totally his own villian, it was like he'd studied Kefka's work and wondered 'how can I get close to that?' He didn't quite make it, but he gave it his all. What more can you ask from a villian?

Tactics? I freaking loved Tactics. I know ins and outs of that game that make a person cry. I know how to disassemble every single fight and win, with one annoying exception that caught more people off guard than any one I ever remember anywhere. If you've played it, you know. If not, you probably still know. Weigraf! I had at one point memorized the Calculator Table and large pieces of the BMG. (Not a mis-spelling.)

I played III/VI, it was good, but I was out of place to really enjoy it. I was too late and had heard too much about it to really feel it. It was still fun.

I played II/IV as well. And it was also good. Yet... it just wasn't as good as IX. It's an unfair comparison, I know, but it just wasn't.

I played I. I've NEVER finished it. Not even the GBA version with MP. That saddens me.
    Sorry, i need to learn how to double quote, not sure how to yet

You should get the emulator and try 1, the original not the updated one. It is a fun play and really shows how awesome the series has always been. The updated 1 is not as fun, not because of the story, but they aded in new dungeons that are annoying and take too long for no real value. And who can choose the 16 bit graphics over the 8 bit that started all the fun?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry, i need to learn how to double quote, not sure how to yet
    It's the little set of quotation marks right next to the "Quote" button.

You should get the emulator and try 1, the original not the updated one. It is a fun play and really shows how awesome the series has always been. The updated 1 is not as fun, not because of the story, but they aded in new dungeons that are annoying and take too long for no real value. And who can choose the 16 bit graphics over the 8 bit that started all the fun?
    First rule of playing JRPGs: Never do the optional dungeons unless you have way too much time on your hands. Second rule of playing JRPGs: Never do the optional dungeons added in a re-release.

Anyway, I've personally only played I (iOS), III, VII, and XIII. My favorite is XIII. I haven't beaten VII yet, but I'm guessing I'm pretty close to the end:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shinra has (despite my best efforts) managed to destroy Sephiroth's force field, Rufus and his flunkies are dead, Cloud and Tifa have had their PG-rated probably-maybe-sex scene, and I'm about to slide down into the crater
    and I can see why it's so hyped, particularly for its time. I personally don't think it's the greatest JRPG ever created, but I won't hold it against anyone who does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I think the term 'emo' has been thrown around so much that people have exaggerated caricatures of what it actually means.

Taking the typical definition of emo as "particularly emotional, sensitive, shy, introverted, or angst-ridden", Cloud can be argued to be angst ridden if you count suffering from borderline PTSD to be angsty, and Squall only really hits the introverted mark - he's definitely not emotional or sensitive as he's shut himself down to stop being hurt any more.

Hell, if you're labelling Cloud and Squall as emo because they hit one of the five descriptors, then Asura from Asura's Wrath could be argued to be emo with the angst over his dead wife and kidnapped daughter driving him.

Back to the original topic, my favourite FF games were Tactics, X and if it counts, Vagrant Story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    I agree with you for the most part except the end. Ramza is a total blank slate. We learn almost nothing about him.
    Emo is also a term for a particular fashion/aesthetic, which both characters show.

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post

13 did have a good battle system, true. I wanted to beat the hay out of Lightning though.

My favorite was final fantasy tactics.

Blue1005, there is a quote plus button, looks like "+

When you click it, it turns green. Later, when you post, it will show every quote you've clicked this on, up to ten different quotes.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

You don't actually have to do those dungeons, you know. They're basically irrelevant to the story.. and if you're playing the game for the first time, I'd recommend you don't, actually, because you'll get an experience much closer to the original that way. Doing the bonus dungeons tends to make everything else way too easy, whether it's just because you're overleveled from all the extra fighting you do in them or because your entire party is wearing weapons and armor 1.5x times more powerful than anything that was in the NES edition of the game.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post

Likewise, nobody actually knows what "angst" means.

To answer the OP's question: Kingdom Hearts.
    Epic avatar by: Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Emo is also a term for a particular fashion/aesthetic, which both characters show.
    Aside from the Nomura 'I Like Belts!' fashion statement, about the only thing I can think of that Squall and Cloud have in common is excessive use of gravity defying hair gel.

I can see Squall having the emo hair style, but given that he predates the mainstream popularity of emo (FF8 was released just before My Chemical Romance et al became really popular), he owes more to the Japanese aesthetic of 'cool brooding hero' and is being retroactively being applied with the emo label.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinArchmage View Post
    Likewise, nobody actually knows what "angst" means.
    Is that directed at me?
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2012-09-21 at 02:11 AM.