New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Shinji and 40K thoughts?

Well I'm sure we have all heard of evangelion and Warhammer forty thousand, so imagine my shock when a good friend of mine turned me onto a fan fic that mashed the two together and it worked very well. Does anyone have any thoughts on this lovechild of grimdark and mindscrew? If so please spill em I would love to hear them.
    Spoiler
    Show

There was a time when I marched across the fields of battle, crushing those who opposed my lord and master. There was a time when I stared into the heart of darkness itself and did not tremble. These days are past me now. My lord is dead by my hand and I have shunned the light that once guided me. I do not seek your pity, I only seek the vengeance that is rightfully mine.
    - The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:
    Thank you Haruhi for the amazing Avatar.

Fullmetal Alchemy

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Shinji and 40K thoughts?

I haven't read it. I'm pondering whether or not I should.

Is it actually any good? Not just the general TvTropes "lolpowerofAWESOME" cliche, but actual quality?

Is it well written? Would I get bored often? Is it readable on a computer screen?

TvTropes compared this version of Shinji to Paul Atreides and other such legends, which got me curious about the fic. I might start reading one of these days and see how far I can get.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3

It's actually very well written as far as fics go. It's blended the two pretty well together and though Shinji gets a bit mary stuish he still has more than a few flaws.
    Spoiler
    Show

There was a time when I marched across the fields of battle, crushing those who opposed my lord and master. There was a time when I stared into the heart of darkness itself and did not tremble. These days are past me now. My lord is dead by my hand and I have shunned the light that once guided me. I do not seek your pity, I only seek the vengeance that is rightfully mine.
    - The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:

Fullmetal Alchemy

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

The first good portion was pretty cool, I thought. I mean, Evangelion and WH40K, interesting concept, right?

Unfortunately, I found myself skipping large portions of the fic once the author crammed a little too much text into the chapters. I stopped keeping up with it not too long afterwards. And the author stopped featuring my favorite characters, so...

Still quite a blast to read, though.

5. - Top - End - #5

Personally I have yet to tire of it. I have found it to be a very fun ride and honestly enjoy many of the alternate character interpretations that the author has made. Also Orky Rei personally I think is utterly terrifying....
    Spoiler
    Show

- The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:

Fullmetal Alchemy

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

This is the ten percent worth dying for. His hand guides us all.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Saw this on SpaceBattles forums, thought I'd enlighten over here:
    Just found something really interesting on the Evageeks Wiki, in their translation of the Classified Information from the Evangelion 2 game (which Anno was apparently involved with):

Quote:
    The S² Engine Theory was advocated by Dr. Katsuragi. As the world is formed with spirals, the engine acquires energy from its shape, which is the same as DNA. From here, the S² Engine was being envisioned as an energy source that would attempt to procure helical energy — in other words, an inexhaustible supply.
    In other words, Angels (
    Spoiler
    Show
    and now Eva 02 here and Eva 01 in canon after it ate Zeruel
    ) officially run on Spiral Energy. I'll let everyone else ponder the implications.
    Source.
    Last edited by KnightDisciple; 2009-04-23 at 11:07 PM.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    This is the ten percent worth dying for. His hand guides us all.
    All Praise the Emperor.

I've yet to fully read this yet, but I read one chapter and went "...awesome...".
    Great avatar by the magnificent Mauve Shirt.

My TVTropes Troper Page. Send me a message if you want to talk about one of them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

for me, it's the best fanfiction ever, but I can see why some people doesn't like it. Do you like over the top and wall of text?

It's epic, that's for sure. Really epic. Though sometimes shinji turned out to be too perfect.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Where's the link?

Evangelion was okay, but I didn't enjoy it as much towards the end of the show. But I'm interested in how it would mix with 40K... This I gotta see.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Where's the link?

Evangelion was okay, but I didn't enjoy it as much towards the end of the show. But I'm interested in how it would mix with 40K... This I gotta see.
    The TV Tropes Link. It has all the tropes, and the link to the fic, which is here.
    Great avatar by the magnificent Mauve Shirt.

My TVTropes Troper Page. Send me a message if you want to talk about one of them.

12. - Top - End - #12

I'm going to be a dissenter here and say I didn't enjoy this fanfic. Not that I think its crap, it's just that it's the sort of thing I don't like: cheesy, over the top parody. I mean, Shinji Ikari acting like a Large Ham is so much more than I can take...
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

13. - Top - End - #13

I have to agree with you there Rapture. I do find the new 'uber shinji' A bit much to handle at times but, for the life of me I cannot seem to stop myself from reading the Fic.

And Evas run on spiral energy...oh.Dear.God.
    Spoiler
    Show

- The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:

Fullmetal Alchemy

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by black dragoon View Post
    I have to agree with you there Rapture. I do find the new 'uber shinji' A bit much to handle at times but, for the life of me I cannot seem to stop myself from reading the Fic.

And Evas run on spiral energy...oh.Dear.God.
    See, this is a prime example of why I don't like it. Way too silly for my tastes. What the creator should have done was to take the grim darkness of both settings a create a black hole of despair, hopelessness, and bloodshed on the internet. Then I would gobble it up.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Fair enough but if things ever got that Grimdark...well I think the internet may just cry tears of blood for no readily apparent reason. The Spiral energy/Eva situation in not related to the fiction however. Could someone post an original link to the site this is from this piques my curiosity oddly.
    Spoiler
    Show

- The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:

Fullmetal Alchemy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

yeah, lord of rapture is that guy who can't help but see wh40k as serious setting (Not that it's wrong, mind you. It's just another interpretation) In that mindset, I can't see how he could like shinji and wh40k.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    yeah, lord of rapture is that guy who can't help but see wh40k as serious setting (Not that it's wrong, mind you. It's just another interpretation) In that mindset, I can't see how he could like shinji and wh40k.
    Bingo. You got it. I don't know why, I'm quite cheerful in everyday life, but I somehow think it's more fun to see WH40k as a horrible, horrible place where nothing is ever gonna get better and everyone is doomed to a painful, painful end. Huh.

Fair enough but if things ever got that Grimdark...well I think the internet may just cry tears of blood for no readily apparent reason. The Spiral energy/Eva situation in not related to the fiction however. Could someone post an original link to the site this is from this piques my curiosity oddly.
    Then the Godhand come down and appoint someone as their new member. Everyone else is sacrificed to give birth to his/her ascension, sent to Hell to suffer for eternity.

*for those who don't know, it's a reference to the Behelits in Berserk, a.k.a. one of my members on my tag team for the best mangas eva
    Last edited by Lord of Rapture; 2009-04-24 at 06:33 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

That is fair enough in my book. For a very long time I thought 40K was meant to be taken seriously and then I just broke down in fits of laughter when I started playing Dawn of war for some silly reason. Though really I from what I have seen from the author's mindset he thinks of 40k as something almost inspirational in the Eva-verse. As a friend said, when Shinji starts talking about the 41st millennium it makes people realize things could be so much worse. Or maybe in Kensuke's mind better.
    Spoiler
    Show

- The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:

Fullmetal Alchemy

19. - Top - End - #19

I really like it, though you're right about the wall of text-ness of the whole thing. Sometimes I find myself wishing he'd update smaller chapters, but quicker, instead of nothing for ages followed by a hunk that'll take you hours to read.

I also really like the way Shinji manages to pull positives out of 40k the whole way through. He keeps finding insperational things in one of the most crapsack worlds ever created. The main one being that, however horrific it gets, however many die, whatever nightmares the universe throws at them, the people there never stop fighting, never give up, never surrender, they walk into the dark and rend it limb from limb.

Also Shinji does encounter challenges, specifically the writer's been setting up a massive one in the form of
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kaworu Nagisa, who has the advice of Commander Farsight
    who is as close as someone comes to the anti-Shinji, and has has been wheedling his moves about in an unpredictable fashion for ages.
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Source of Spiral Energy information.

Per the top of that site:
    The Classified Information (機密情報, Kimitsu Jouhou) is a set of data files accessible from computer terminals located within the video game Neon Genesis Evangelion 2. It is generally considered a cornerstone of supplemental canon for the influx of new information it provides and given a great deal of weight due to Hideaki Anno's participation in the game's production. While most of the information reconciles fully with the show, there are some instances of apparent conflict. It is unclear to what extent this represents genuine inconsistency as opposed to reflecting disparities in security access (e.g., it requires a higher clearance level to learn that the white giant is Lilith rather than Adam).
    So that spiral power thing? It's canon.

21. - Top - End - #21

Yeah I only just recently have seen the 40kd version of Kaworu and I am more than a little bit impressed. I'm honestly curious to see how what other parts beyond the main series are going to be dragged in. I've been studying the various bits of canon lying around it only seems reasonable that if the author did his homework we are going to be seeing some interesting takes on various bits of it.

Speaking of which. If we are to believe the canon of Evangelion, it would seem Lilith and Adam were created by the Old ones raising all sorts of interesting issues. Also is it possible that 'nids may be a successful Adam derived species? I know they are from outside the galaxy supposedly. But how far reaching were the old ones and in the Eva-verse the mysterious first ancestral race?

It is very possible. If it is from Anno then it is auto canon. IT could just be someone pulling our chains though.
    Last edited by black dragoon; 2009-04-24 at 08:12 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

- The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:

Fullmetal Alchemy

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I can agree that I wish it was shorter; it's easy to lose your place in the whole thing. But I love this story. As I've said, it's the ten percent. I don't know what you're expecting, but I assure you, as a fan fic writer myself, it probably isn't out there. You think I'm kidding, you hope I'm exaggerating, but after three years on FanFiction.net... I'm not even sure I have a -void- for my soul anymore. Just kind of this numb feeling of disappointment. So when something this complex, incredible, over-the-top, detailed, and well written shows up, I think I have a pretty damn good reason to be fanatical. Besides, it's not really all that much of a cross-over and more of... well, I'm not sure. But I put my faith in this story above all others, even my own. Because, if Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

*snip*
    It is very possible. If it is from Anno then it is auto canon. IT could just be someone pulling our chains though.
    I find it somewhat doubtful. It's something that can be independently verified with a little work. Not sure why they'd falsify that. Especially such a minor byline.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    I find it somewhat doubtful. It's something that can be independently verified with a little work. Not sure why they'd falsify that. Especially such a minor byline.
    This is freaking Gainax. I am 100% sure that something involving S2 Engines and TTGL was intentional. Was TTGL in production when the game was made? I know the Spiral thing was pretty early in the planning stages, so maybe they added that to the game because of TTGL.
    i am gendum

I am Lord Guilford of /m/

25. - Top - End - #25

This is true. It being Gainax I would not be shocked if it turned out every single anime they ever did involved spiral energy in some form or another. And really it kind of makes sense that an eva runs of the power of well...hot blood. Look at Shinji in his Crowning moments in the original series. Get an eva pilot pissed or determined and they suddenly are able to devastate being that a Nuclear device only annoyed.
    Spoiler
    Show

- The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:

Fullmetal Alchemy

26. - Top - End - #26

If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Awesome quote. Sigged for truth, if you don't mind?
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

"In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Voidhawk View Post
    Awesome quote. Sigged for truth, if you don't mind?
    Not at all. I regret that I have yet to actually add Champions of Ravenloft into my extensive library, but I intend to fix that in the not too distant future.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters

28. - Top - End - #28

I've heard good things. I need to honestly track down Ravenloft materials myself. Also, no comments on the nids being an angel offshoot? I'm kind of surprised.
    Spoiler
    Show

- The Black Dragoon

Homebrew:

Fullmetal Alchemy

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'll read it later when I get the chance... But first, I have two questions?

1) What's Spiral Energy? (Nutshell answer, please. I'm not good with science.... )

2) What's Ravenloft?

Also, "Darkness only makes the stars shine brighter" is one of the deepest things I've ever read on the internet. Bravo, good sir, on giving me a cool new quote to use.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    1) What's Spiral Energy? (Nutshell answer, please. I'm not good with science.... )
    It's hardly science.

It's from another GAINAX production: "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann" which is full of win and awesome. Spiral Energy is what powers the giant robots and lets them do all the crazy stuff they do, and is defined as the power of evolution. Since it is generated by the will to live and grow, it is infinite, much like an S2 engine's power. Anything beyond that is spoilers though, so you should go watch Tengen Toppa RIGHT FRIGGIN NOW, because it is win made manifest.