New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default If we equate Kinetic Energy to Physical Damage, can we kill all the catgirls at once?

Warning: Math Ahead
    You have been warned.

Anyway, playground, I have sort of a challenge for you. Assume for the purposes of this thread that D&D physics = Real Life Physics.

The Challenge:
    It all started with me wondering this: What would happen if we took an ubercharger, straight out of TO, and had it attack, say Mt. Everest? In order to contemplate such a thing, I figured that we'd have to figure out how much Kinetic Energy it would take, on average, to equal 1 point of damage in D&D. At this point, we could multiply this value by the average damage output of our ubercharger to find how much energy he uses in a single round. Finally, we can compare this amount of energy to other things, such as a supernova, to see if a string of attacks from one of these characters is enough to destroy all life, including catgirls, in the galaxy.

Steps Recommended:
    1. With real-world examples, try to come up with a rough approximation of how much energy it takes to deal 1 point to something.
    2. Scour the internets for the single-round non-infinite damage record.
    3. Do the math, and compare results with other stuff, in order to come up with casualty estimate.
    4. ??????
    5. Profit!

Let me know if I made any bad assumptions or mistakes!

So, playground, are you up to the challenge?
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: If we equate Kinetic Energy to Physical Damage, can we kill all the catgirls at o

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    2. Scour the internets for the single-round non-infinite damage record.
    Hulking Hurler can get around (10^271)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe. I think it can break everything.

And there's some build I can't quite remember that involved (some 5ish-digit number)^^(some other 5ish-digit number), but I can't remember what it was or if that was its damage output.
    Last edited by Divide by Zero; 2011-05-20 at 07:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: If we equate Kinetic Energy to Physical Damage, can we kill all the catgirls at o

As has been discussed elsewhere, starting to think of hit points in terms of real world equivalents makes things... weird. The amount of energy required for a point of damage would vary wildly depending on how and where it is applied, as well as the interval of that application and what it is applied to. Estimations of the energy of any build would vary wildly, and therefore your query is difficult to answer specifically.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    I ... I want to sig this ... May I?

Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

5. - Top - End - #5

Flumph

Never mind, I was off by quite a bit. Most updated version I can find (here) says 10^271. Gonna edit my first post with that; feel free to sig it if you want.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

10^83 is right within the estimated range for number of atoms in the known universe, so you were sort of spot on in a sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

As part of item 1, look to the lowly Torch:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Torch

A torch burns for 1 hour, clearly illuminating a 20-foot radius and providing shadowy illumination out to a 40-foot radius. If a torch is used in combat, treat it as a one-handed improvised weapon that deals bludgeoning damage equal to that of a gauntlet of its size, plus 1 point of fire damage.
    (Emphasis added)

There. The heat output of a torch does one point of damage. We've got a pesky problem of "how long is the contact on a hit", but we've got something of a baseline.

Alternately, Falling Objects are likely not consistent, but can get you there. Pick an object and a distance for a baseline. You'll probably get different numbers, but in a vacuum, impact energy on earth is just mgh = mass * gravity of earth * height.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, we can try taking how much energy would be required for a Hulking Hurler to deal 1 point of damage by hurling something- that is, how much energy you get from throwing however much weight is needed to deal 1 damage with a Hulking Hurler. (I don't have the Miniatures Handbook, so I don't really know the rules for it.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's see: A hulking hurler's rocks weigh 50 pounds (22.67 kg), and deal 2d8 damage, which averages to 9. Unfortunately, we don't know how fast the rocks travel. Let's assume they fly through the air at 100 feet per second, which can get the rock to it's maximum range in 2.5 seconds. This converts to 30.48 m/s, allowing us to solve for the KE.

KE = .5*M*V^2

KE = .5*22.67*(30.48)^2

KE = 10,530 J of energy, about the energy realeased by the metabolism of 2/3 of a gram of sugar.

Dividing that by 9, we end up with a rough approximation of 1170 J per point of damage.

Now, the fun part..........

Let's assume the 3.5 x 10^271 damage record.

Multiplying this by 1170, we end up with 4.095 x 10^274 J of energy.

To put this into perspective, the total estimated mass energy of the universe is 4 x 10^69 J.

So I guess the universe explodes if a TO monstrosity attack in it. 10^205 times over. (This is ignoring conservation of mass and energy, by the way.)

Edit: I guess all the cat girls are dead forever now. Along with everything else, for that matter.
    Last edited by Chess435; 2011-05-20 at 09:49 PM.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

We must test this theory, in the name of MAD SCIENCE.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    We must test this theory, in the name of MAD SCIENCE.
    I guess we found what tomorrow's Apocalypse will consist of. Right before we all die, the TO'ers of this world shall bow before this monstrosity's stacked templates!
    ^~Cody T.~^

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see: A hulking hurler's rocks weigh 50 pounds (22.67 kg), and deal 2d8 damage, which averages to 9. Unfortunately, we don't know how fast the rocks travel. Let's assume they fly through the air at 100 feet per second, which can get the rock to it's maximum range in 2.5 seconds. This converts to 30.48 m/s, allowing us to solve for the KE.

KE = .5*M*V^2

KE = .5*22.67*(30.48)^2

KE = 10,530 J of energy, about the energy realeased by the metabolism of 2/3 of a gram of sugar.

Dividing that by 9, we end up with a rough approximation of 1170 J per point of damage.

Now, the fun part..........

Let's assume the 3.5 x 10^271 damage record.

Multiplying this by 1170, we end up with 4.095 x 10^274 J of energy.

To put this into perspective, the total estimated mass energy of the universe is 4 x 10^69 J.

So I guess the universe explodes if a TO monstrosity attack in it. 10^205 times over. (This is ignoring conservation of mass and energy, by the way.)

Edit: I guess all the cat girls are dead forever now. Along with everything else, for that matter.
    So he can throw the mountain, but he burns the entire mass of the universe 10^205 times over to do it?

You have to wonder about his diet.... and his metabolism, if he can actually do that.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, KE = .5MV^2 and E=MC^2 interact in a very odd fashion.
    ^~Cody T.~^

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, KE = .5MV^2 and E=MC^2 interact in a very odd fashion.
    Hey now - if you're bringing e=mc^2 into this, then you have to use the relativistic version: e = (mc^2)/(sqrt(1-((v^2)/(c^2))), and ke=(mc^2)/(sqrt(1-((v^2)/(c^2))) - mc^2

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Never mind, I was off by quite a bit. Most updated version I can find (here) says 10^271. Gonna edit my first post with that; feel free to sig it if you want.
    Baby Shump, the creature used as the hulking hurler, has some issues. One of which being he has an ECL of like 300 something.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Isn't dynamite a standard for determining force? I will never claim to be reasonably educated in such fields, but dynamite is stated. Should be fairly easy with...math stuff...to figure it out from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

17. - Top - End - #17

Flumph

Just a bit. This is almost as bad as that time I saw someone suggest casting reverse gravity on a black hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    Baby Shump, the creature used as the hulking hurler, has some issues. One of which being he has an ECL of like 300 something.
    You're forgetting that Tauric is horribly broken.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Isn't dynamite a standard for determining force? I will never claim to be reasonably educated in such fields, but dynamite is stated. Should be fairly easy with...math stuff...to figure it out from there.
    Yes, it is. 1kg of TNT releases a maximum of 4.7MJ of energy. 1 lb of TNT can do a maximum of 18hp damage. Standardize your units of measurement, and figure out how many grams of TNT=1hp damage. Then start converting your damage over into larger units - like kilotons (1 million grams in a kiloton; how many hp damage is that?).

This is the same line of thought that led me to create the anti-osmium bomb several years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Yes, it is. 1kg of TNT releases a maximum of 4.7MJ of energy. 1 lb of TNT can do a maximum of 18hp damage. Standardize your units of measurement, and figure out how many grams of TNT=1hp damage. Then start converting your damage over into larger units - like kilotons (1 million grams in a kiloton; how many hp damage is that?).

This is the same line of thought that led me to create the anti-osmium bomb several years ago.
    And your anti-osmium bomb is what made me remember TNT is in a book. Circuitous isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

20. - Top - End - #20

PirateGirl

Why does HP of damage have to be linear in / proportionate to any physical quantity? Maybe it's some other monotone function.

Then of course there are damage types that probably don't involve lots of energy or momentum or mass, like sneak attack damage, which small creatures can be good at dealing lots of.

A 20th-level rogue with Craven flips a coin then sneak attacks one of two targets - a human, or a vampire disguised like the human. The rogue probably has the same (probability distribution of) energy/momentum/whatever involved in the attack, yet the damage dealt is very different. (The attack vs the vampire is not a 'sneak attack' mechanically, but the rogue doesn't know that until after making it.)

Come to think of it, the falling damage / hulking hurler damage probably exposes an inconsistency in how DnD attempts to map physical quantities to HP damage, if it does at all.

Regular damage is linear in Strength, yet carrying capacity is exponential - so far that's OK, it just suggests HP damage is logarithmic in the relevant physical quantity (if there's any relationship at all) - but then falling object damage is linear in weight, hence the exponential damage of a hulking hurler, suggesting a linear rather than logarithmic relationship.
    Last edited by ffone; 2011-05-21 at 03:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

For blowing up a mountain or the like, it seems more prudent to find the mountain's HP from its mass/shape/etc. than to find the energy it takes to destroy it.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

I don't think you can directly equate HP damage to kinetic energy. It really depends a lot on how that energy is applied. For instance if you took the amount of energy it took a rapier to do 1HP worth of damage, and then tried to use that same amount of energy to do damage with a greataxe, it probably wouldn't even be enough to lift the greataxe, let alone damage something with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moriato View Post
    I don't think you can directly equate HP damage to kinetic energy. It really depends a lot on how that energy is applied. For instance if you took the amount of energy it took a rapier to do 1HP worth of damage, and then tried to use that same amount of energy to do damage with a greataxe, it probably wouldn't even be enough to lift the greataxe, let alone damage something with it.
    You can't obviously.

40 J KE football is going to whack you pretty good, so you can feel the pain for 20 seconds, or so.

40 J ~50 gr arrow with any sort of iron or antler tip can can skewer you right trough.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2011-05-22 at 03:33 PM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Let's see: A hulking hurler's rocks weigh 50 pounds (22.67 kg), and deal 2d8 damage, which averages to 9. Unfortunately, we don't know how fast the rocks travel. Let's assume they fly through the air at 100 feet per second, which can get the rock to it's maximum range in 2.5 seconds.
    If we assume no air resistance we can figure out the speed for sure. If for instance we say it was thrown at the ideal angle for distance (45 degrees) at a height for a large creature of about 10 feet, then we can get the equation. It took me forever because I haven't taken physics in 2 years (or any math beyond algebra) and I didn't want to access books, but it's ultimately -32.15(time)^2=-60, giving us a time of square root of (60/32.15). And then (horizontal speed)(time)=50, and then 2(horizontal speed)^2=(Speed)^2.

I don't want to do the math outright but that's about the speed for your average giant.

Look everyone this image is a link!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Falling deals 1d6 damage per 10 feet. Surely we can calculate something from that?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Hey now - if you're bringing e=mc^2 into this, then you have to use the relativistic version: e = (mc^2)/(sqrt(1-((v^2)/(c^2))), and ke=(mc^2)/(sqrt(1-((v^2)/(c^2))) - mc^2
    Thank you. Now I feel better about getting that physics degree :P

The concept of damage, as stated, doesn't work at all in translating to real life. Yes, a burning torch deals one damage to you. So does a cat scratching a commoner to death. If you look through all the damage quantities, there are tons of different things that can cause the same ammount of damage, with radically different energy requirements.
    I think I just had an evilgasm!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Darn. I was hoping to bring new meaning to the words "Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies"

Then again, as long as I wasn't off by over 200 orders of magnitude, the end result should be fairly similar. And I don't think I've been that far off before.
    ^~Cody T.~^

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techsmart View Post
    Thank you. Now I feel better about getting that physics degree :P
    Ah, you mean you're not going to tell me exactly which parenthesis I'm missing?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Ah, you mean you're not going to tell me exactly which parenthesis I'm missing?
    This one: ")"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Hulking Hurler can get around (10^271)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe. I think it can break everything.

And there's some build I can't quite remember that involved (some 5ish-digit number)^^(some other 5ish-digit number), but I can't remember what it was or if that was its damage output.
    One of LoP's nasty tricks managed to pull off (2.5*1036530)↑↑73600 damage. It deals... a lot of damage to the point that scientific notation can no longer express it adequately. (The double ↑ sign is from Knuth's up-arrow notation)

For comparison:
    5↑↑1 = 5
    5↑↑2 ≈ 3.12*103
    5↑↑3 ≈ 2.98*1017
    5↑↑4 ≈ 2.35*1087

This is probably where your 5-ish number come from.

Yeah... that's a scarily huge number.
    Last edited by NNescio; 2011-07-16 at 12:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.