New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    How would an election among children work succession-wise? Does the player get to choose?
    The player gets to choose, though they'll have to justify it. Either all the people vote on the possible heirs, or only the ones in high places, such as wealthy merchants, high priests or noble families.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    I'm interested in this. I've not got long before I go out, though, so I'll have to post more later.
    Currently the choices are limited. This is because not all countries have been fluffed out yet, and I don't want to see regions end up claimed but nothing done with them.

You'll have to contact one of the players in the mountain regions (see the map for where the mountains are) to ask if you can have an underground kingdom in that area.

Also, to everyone, check the second post to make sure everything I put there is in order. I've put only three resources and landmarks (no cities) in there. Some of you may have put more resources down in your country descriptions. If so, take out a few. You can always add in more resources through play later on, as that is very easy. Some of you also don't have an Import necessity yet, or a Religion.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    They are now a kind of Fey blooded. However, not like a minor trace of fey blood, but major Fey blooded, like Half and Quarter blooded.
    For more information, see my country's entree.
    Awww... I'll have to go check, make sure we aren't conflicting with each other.

Edit: Well, no direct conflicts... Though we are pretty close to each other in some ways now. I guess Kynvessa will be the ambassador to you lot, with her being almost a full fae.

Also, as far as the second post, looks good to me; the volatile red liquid is generally called Bloodfire, but up to you if you want to use that.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2014-01-15 at 07:58 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Tundra.
    Or glacier, or snowcap depending on the details.

The post with the crest above is the one to link to for Qarimos & the one I'll be updating from here.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Also, as far as the second post, looks good to me; the volatile red liquid is generally called Bloodfire, but up to you if you want to use that.
    I'll make not of that. By the way, what's the name of the previous king, and how old was he?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

That'd be Tychris.

And then about thirty percent of my country are part-humans at best.
    Yeah, my country is pretty much made up of Skaven. Should be interesting.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

When you say skaven you just mean anthropomorphic rats and not evil lunatics with a compulsion to unleash plagues, right?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I'll make not of that. By the way, what's the name of the previous king, and how old was he?
    Harien Varinel (previously Nidraes; descent is recorded matrilineally, and males take on their wife's family name when they marry), and he was... 65, let's say?
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2014-01-15 at 08:57 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Harien Varinel (previously Nidraes; descent is recorded matrilineally, and males take on their wife's family name when they marry), and he was... 65, let's say?
    C'nor, just tried to send you a message, and your box is full. Can you clear some room? Its about some stuff I noticed in your Nation's write up.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

I modified the regional map to include two more regions that are reserved for former Conquest players, should they wish to join.

Also, C'nor, since on the map the mountains in your country are in the east rather than the west, I swapped the badlands' and mountains' locations in the short-form write-up for your country in the second post. 's That alright?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    When you say skaven you just mean anthropomorphic rats and not evil lunatics with a compulsion to unleash plagues, right?
    They're anthropomorphic honorable warrior rats who value great deeds, heroism, and proving your worth. Their appearance and sound are based pretty much off of the Skaven though. I might draw some extra inspiration later on, but I'm not sure yet. I do know that the name and look of Stormvermin is just absolutely ballertastic though.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

Behold: beneath Lyradis, dwarves dwell.

Razdis
    Region 13 (below ground), Silverbit

Rolls.
    Mormaer Vali the Archer
    Current stats:
    Diplomacy: 5
    Military: 6
    Curiosity: 3
    Faith: 4
    Luck: 4

Population: 44,000

Original stats:
    Diplomacy: 5
    Military: 3
    Curiosity: 3
    Faith: 4
    Luck: 4

Region details:
    Terrain:
    Spoiler
    Show

Razdis is located below Lyradis, primarily beneath the Dis range to the northwest. Due to the tropical climate many caves and tunnels were eroded by streams within the mountains (though they remain chilled), and the doughy Dwarves have added more carved passageways to this.
    Three landmarks are:
    Andbar's Forest: a massive cavern network below the southwest of Lyradis, filled with giant fungi of all types. Named for the quasi-legendary first recorded king of the Razdissi. Now the source of edible mushrooms.
    Finbael's Deep: located in the deepest tunnels roughly within the center of the country. A great pit, superstition says it is bottomless. Named after the foolhardy dwarf pioneer who attempted to reach the bottom. They were not successful, and resided in a madhouse till the end of their days.
    Kalpraz: meaning "below sky" this is a sinkhole open to the air in the northernmost reaches of Razdis. Water cascades down into it from one side, and on the other is built the Razdissi capital.
    People:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Razdissi people are dwarves, believed to be related to the dwarves of Sulvan's Fury, but many differences have emerged during their separation, mainly due to hybridisation with Ore Elves from Eyrecradia in ages past. Razdissi are still tough and bearded, but their skin is normally greyish black, similar to burned charcoal, and they tend to be nearly man-height. Their hair is most commonly iron grey, but rust red and coal black occur nearly as often. Eyes are black, orange or blue in most Razdissi. They're not as long lived as Keldagrim dwarves, with their lifespans being closer to humans. This is probably due to slight incompatibilities between Elven and Dwarven metabolisms. In personality, Razdissi are passionate about their work and tools; a common joke is that when you give a Razdissi a shovel, he'll spend a week getting to know it's name before using it to dig. Razdissi worship the very ore that they mine, in a somewhat odd animistic tradition. It is believed respectful to make a small sacrifice of plant matter (such as smoking a pipeful of pipeweed) before beginning mining. The population is low at 13,000, mostly in the capital Kalpraz with some in the minor holds of Dismil and Lunderbog. Due to the long-standing alliance with Lyradis, a rising number of the population are half-dwarves. They appear as slightly short humans with thick hair, grey-tinted skin and in some cases dwarven hair and/or eye colour.
    Resources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stone is very common, as the Razdissi constantly quarry and dig to expand their lands. It is transported out of the pits by a breed of particularly small and strong horse.
    Iron is also frequently mined.
    Coal is mined in the south and east; it is used as fuel for furnaces and forges throughout the world.
    Mithril was discovered in 363.

The Razdissi are in constant need of wood, as little is to be found beneath the earth.
    Religion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Razdis follows animistic principles, but is unusual in applying them to ores, gems and stone instead of the usual plants and animals. Indeed, it is respectful to ritually destroy a small sample of plant matter before beginning mining or construction work. Razdissi don't generally agree with Rh'llor the Fire Lord; in the sweltering heat of the tropics or the coal-heated tunnels underground, fire is less important. This may lead to conflict in coming years.
    Technologies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Razdis has normal technology for the early Middle Ages, with the addition of the knowledge of how to create Steel, forge Mithril and construct primitive hovercrafts.
    Ruler:
    Spoiler
    Show

As of year 365, Mormaer Razkai II of the Unbroken Line Clan is the ruler of the Razdissi. His two sons are Vali and Ali.

Trades:
    Coal for grain with Lyradis.
    Coal and iron for wood with Domhain Abhaile.
    Iron for ships with Qarimos.
    Coal for hovercraft technology with Kasumor.
    Bronze (copper and tin) for amber with Wenyavuk.
    Mithril for Heartwine with Raaneka.
    Mithril for Rhino Meat with Lyradis.
    Mithril for Mammoths with Wenyavuk.
    Iron for Wood with Tar.
    Platinum for Gold with the Glazfell.

Alliances:
    Silver Pact
    Lyradis
    Tekorva
    Eyrecradia
    Rising Sun League

Military:
    3500 Heavy Infantry in mail armour with heavy shields, short swords and throwing axes, hammers and javelins.
    1750 Archers/Light Infantry in leather/light mail armour with bucklers, bows and short swords.
    1750 Hovercraft Cavalry in steel mail armour with bucklers, long swords and Domhan Abhaile-wood shafted javelins.

Fluff:
    Razdissi Clan Structure
    Razdissi Lexicon

Colonised Elbaraz, region 14b.

Has control of Sulvan's Fury and Eyrecradia.

Please tell me if I've missed anything that's needed off.
    Last edited by Silverbit; 2014-05-16 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Round 14 stat bonuses and troop gain.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, C'nor, since on the map the mountains in your country are in the east rather than the west, I swapped the badlands' and mountains' locations in the short-form write-up for your country in the second post. 's That alright?
    Whoops! Sorry, yeah, that's fine.

Wombat, cleared.

13. - Top - End - #163

Some clarification:

How does trade work? Ie, I have a resource you want, how do we set up an exchange? Is there some form of currency we can use for buying stuff from other countries?

Alliances: I take it establishing one takes a Diplomacy action. However, do both members of an alliance have to use an action to create it? Can an alliance have more than two members, and can they all join on the same turn?

Edit: also, if two nations are part of a mutual defense alliance (or decide to team up on another nation), how does that work mechanically? Do they combine their military stats, make separate rolls, get a bonus ect?
    Last edited by ImperatorV; 2014-01-15 at 10:16 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Some clarification:

How does trade work? Ie, I have a resource you want, how do we set up an exchange? Is there some form of currency we can use for buying stuff from other countries?

Alliances: I take it establishing one takes a Diplomacy action. However, do both members of an alliance have to use an action to create it? Can an alliance have more than two members, and can they all join on the same turn?

Edit: also, if two nations are part of a mutual defense alliance (or decide to team up on another nation), how does that work mechanically? Do they combine their military stats, make separate rolls, get a bonus ect?
    I thought of including currency at first, but I think that would be both making it more complicated for new players and MUCH more bookkeeping on my part. Trading can be set up by contacting other players to set up an exchange, or an ongoing trade treaty.

Members of an alliance all have to take an action to create it and take part in it. Members can all join in the same turn and there are no limits on numbers.

Mutual defense or attack... I dunno yet. I'll think about it.

Silverbit: looking good. The only thing I can see missing is the ages of the sons and religion having its own section (but I can see that they're animists).

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Does trade provide any benefits? Similarly, if it does, do I get any benefit as compared to other means of trading with those areas, if I have a seaport in Lyradis and I'm trading with regions that are easier to reach from there?
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2014-01-15 at 10:46 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Trade gives access to resources you don't have yourself, which allows you to create things to improve your army (getting better metals, for instance), create new technologies (for instance, coal, steel, water and complex mathematics are necessary for the creation of steam engines), keep your position stable by reducing riots (the people really, really like food and housing), and many more things. It also connects two cultures together, making exchange of culture and religion easier.

Trade mostly gives indirect, semi-material benefits, but can be vital to get ahead. Isolating your country can be handy in some ways, but is likely destructive long-term.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-15 at 10:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmm... I think I may have to PM you some questions.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

I have posted my leader! In hindsight I may have gone a bit overboard with the family... I'm working the family tree out on paper and it's a bit... well it is a mighty tree at the least. It could probably support a whole family of mawa

19. - Top - End - #169
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    Behold: beneath Lyradis, dwarves dwell.

Razdis
    Silverbit
    Region 13 (below ground)

Terrain:
    Spoiler
    Show

Razdis is located below Lyradis, primarily beneath the Dis range to the northwest. Due to the tropical climate many caves and tunnels were eroded by streams within the mountains (though they remain chilled), and the doughy Dwarves have added more carved passageways to this.
    Three landmarks are:
    Andbar's Forest: a massive cavern network below the southwest of Lyradis, filled with giant fungi of all types. Named for the quasi-legendary first recorded king of the Razdissi.
    Finbael's Deep: located in the deepest tunnels roughly within the center of the country. A great pit, superstition says it is bottomless. Named after the foolhardy dwarf pioneer who attempted to reach the bottom. They were not successful, and resided in a madhouse till the end of their days.
    Kalpraz: meaning "below sky" this is a sinkhole open to the air in the northernmost reaches of Razdis. Water cascades down into it from one side, and on the other is built the Razdissi capital.

People:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Razdissi people are dwarves, believed to be related to the dwarves of Keldagrim, but many differences have emerged during their separation. Razdissi are still tough and bearded, but their skin is normally greyish black, similar to burned charcoal, and they tend to be nearly man-height. Their hair is most commonly iron grey, but rust red and coal black occur nearly as often. Eyes are black, orange or blue in most Razdissi. They're not as long lived as Keldagrim dwarves, with their lifespans being closer to humans. In personality, Razdissi are passionate about their work and tools. A common joke is that when you give a Razdissi a shovel, he'll spend a week getting to know it's name before using it to dig. Razdissi worship the very ore that they mine, in a somewhat odd animistic tradition. It is believed respectful to make a small sacrifice of plant matter (such as smoking a pipeful of pipeweed) before beginning mining.

Resources:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stone is very common, as the Razdissi constantly quarry and dig to expand their lands. It is transported out of the pits by a breed of particularly small and strong pony.
    Iron is also frequently mined.
    Coal is mined in the south and east; it is used as fuel for furnaces and forges throughout the world.

The Razdissi are in constant need of wood, as little is to be found beneath the earth.

Technologies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Razdis has normal technology.

Ruler:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mormaer Razkai of the Unbroken Line Clan is the current ruler of the Razdissi. He gained his post through hereditary succession, as is the norm in Razdis. Mormaer is the title of the ruler of the Razdissi. Razkai of the Unbroken Line Clan is smart, as befits the ruler of a nation of craftsdwarves, and is backed with all the force of the Razdissi military, but has serious issues with the tenets of the Temple of the Lord of Fire.
    Diplomacy: 3
    Military: 3 (4+1)
    Curiosity: 4
    Faith: 1
    Luck: 2
    Razkai has a wife, Eela, and three sons, Razkai the younger, Ambvard, and Tuthin. Razkai is currently 50 years old, of a race that are normally capable of functioning until about 120 years old.
    Rolls.

Please tell me if I've missed anything that's needed off.

Well hello there fellow dwarf! May your feet ever touch the ground!

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    I have posted my leader! In hindsight I may have gone a bit overboard with the family... I'm working the family tree out on paper and it's a bit... well it is a mighty tree at the least. It could probably support a whole family of mawa
    Perhaps for those willing to keep track of it themselves, you should just put it into a picture, adjust it in Paint (or PhotoShop or GIMP) every one or two turns, and I could just link to that instead of keeping track the way I am currently doing for everyone.

Also, I'm thinking that the starting year should be, say, 330. That'd make the first action take place in 331, the second in 332 and the last action 335 in the first round.

I wanted to do a minimum of 300, as the longest year back to history I've seen so far is 300 years.

Thought I'd mention that, in case you wanted to include birth years and death years.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Updated OP to include the nation of Razdis, and our longstanding alliance (60 or so years), and added religion.

EDIT: So you're saying that each round encompasses an action, and each action encompasses a different year? That seems like a lot of time for each action...
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-01-15 at 11:22 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps for those willing to keep track of it themselves, you should just put it into a picture, adjust it in Paint (or PhotoShop or GIMP) every one or two turns, and I could just link to that instead of keeping track the way I am currently doing for everyone.

Also, I'm thinking that the starting year should be, say, 330. That'd make the first action take place in 331, the second in 332 and the last action 335 in the first round.

I wanted to do a minimum of 300, as the longest year back to history I've seen so far is 300 years.

Thought I'd mention that, in case you wanted to include birth years and death years.
    Yeah, I'll probably end up managing it that way @_@ Right now I have down Tendaji's 5 living children, 13 grandchildren, and 37 great-grandchildren.

Also thankyou for choosing a date. I've just been tracking relative ages starting with Tendaji at the date of the Genivanan Unification which I guess is now officially 253.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Updated OP to include the nation of Razdis, and our longstanding alliance (60 or so years), and added religion.

EDIT: So you're saying that each round encompasses an action, and each action encompasses a different year? That seems like a lot of time for each action...
    Look at it this way: if each round was one year, it'd take 18 out-of-game weeks for your heir to come of age after being born (and the chance of dying young might be higher), it'd take half a year to finish big projects, technological, economical and magical progress would go at a super-fast rate (especially since each player can introduce something new with each of their rulers), religious and cultural conversions would be more like modern-day fads and each war would be a Blitzkrieg.

Taking a year for each action allows you to make that one action detailed and puts all the above things at a more reasonable pace.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Look at it this way: if each round was one year, it'd take 18 out-of-game weeks for your heir to come of age after being born (and the chance of dying young might be higher), it'd take half a year to finish big projects, technological, economical and magical progress would go at a super-fast rate (especially since each player can introduce something new with each of their rulers), religious and cultural conversions would be more like modern-day fads and each war would be a Blitzkrieg.

Taking a year for each action allows you to make that one action detailed and puts all the above things at a more reasonable pace.
    Good points, all around. Sounds good to me!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

25. - Top - End - #175

Thanks! Long may our alliance remain!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Ablaze View Post

Well hello there fellow dwarf! May your feet never touch the ground!
    And hello to you too! May your beard grow ever longer!

I'll include a religion bit and ages now.

Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Expanded religion abit with a holiday and a famous ancestor to benchmark it. Will add one or two more ancestors later, and maybe another holiday.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Morph, would you like me to make you one of my handy tables for some compiled information like religions and such?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

28. - Top - End - #178

Is it too late to join?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

29. - Top - End - #179

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Is it too late to join?
    If you PM someone with an underground region (only Silver Ablaze I think) then they might let you have the top bit. That's their decision though. Apart from that it depends on Morph.

Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Perhaps there should be a wait list for people vying for regions that might get abandoned by owners...since there's so much interest.

World Building Projects:
    Magic