New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Interesting/Funny D&D Names

My first character was a cleric named Borin Dunderhead.
    So, I'm starting this thread for people to share interesting or funny character/place names that they've encountered in their roleplaying adventures.
    My HTML to BB Code converter. Paste into the top box from any word processor/online source. No more tables by hand!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Interesting/Funny D&D Names

Dour Mcstoneface, retired adventurer who, it is said, fulfilled his duty to his wife with the same grim determination as when he fulfilled his duty to his country in the last great war.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Back when D&D was new, and it still had hobbits instead of halflings, I did my research into hobbit names by looking at the appendix to the Lord of the Rings. I found the perfect name for a hobbit thief.

"Robin Banks"
    ---------------

Years later, I invented two dwarves (followers), who left the mines to go adventuring when a dragon killed all their brothers. Their names were Doli and Felix.

Only if you knew other languages would you recognize them as Grumpy and Happy.
    ---------------

My current character has a horse named Glorfain, which is elvish for Golden Cloud. The original Golden Cloud was a performing horse in Hollywood in the 1930s, who was sold to Roy Rogers and re-named Trigger.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

David Allen Coe-Nan (David Allen Coe is a country singer)

The Notorious P.I.G. (an awakened hamster gunslinger)
    Campaign Logs:

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I have a player now who is a dwarven cleric named Noland PrayerFighter. I almost pointed out the lack of originality, but then realized this was going to be his first stab and cleric and I was just lucky he wasn't naming him "Fighter".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Blastum Heelum, a 1e-2e era cleric/magic-user.

One-shots often have such interesting names.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Harrison Butterscotch
    Glimb Gnomewick
    Ram McLargefist

8. - Top - End - #8

I named my first character Quaranibarvilasist Xiloscient. For some reason, no one could pronounce it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doxkid View Post
    You have created an abomination the likes of which this world was not prepared for.

What have you DONE?!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Grandalf the Old-Wizard

10. - Top - End - #10

DrowGuy

my dm: -castilnimbult (among 7 other names and titles)
    -Dorkenmeinen, greatest magician in the world. (delusional apprentice in whfrp)

me:
    grumpf, alias the troll (troll paladin)
    brutehilde the brute (halfling paladin)
    blondehilde the blonde (brutehilde's sister, paladin too)
    corbec girderson (poutreson in french, he's as subtle as a rafter hitting you)
    knacki/knacki ball/pinball/lizard/emergency snack/disco ball (i'm not in control of my name... i'm a chameleon skink who goes multicolor when he drinks, and i've got really bad luck hitting into walls and defying gravity...) oh, and knacki are like jimmy dean sausages, for you yanks.
    oscar "zero" talenz (pacifist mechanic and handyman. aptly named, too, judging by the dice gods)
    angry mcstout (dwarf barbarian, to help a friend understand pen and paper)

otherwise, i know a "phu mi", halfling monk, future drunken master, and there's also brother U alias "ulm" (half ork paladin masquerading as a fighter). please note that his real name is pronounced as a death metal guttural growl (he felt subtle that day)
    there's also "XUUUUUUL" (same pronounciation as above) for a friend's ork berzerker, and "GRUUUL" for his ork shaman-equivalent. yes, we're subtle
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

11. - Top - End - #11

Planetar

Not really that funny but my first ever RPG-character (non-D&D) was an elven warrior named Dagor. I came up with the name myself. It sounded like a fantasy name, even though I hadn't read any fantasy books or anything.

Well over 10 years later, after reading LotR (etc.), I found out that "dagor" means "battle" in Tolkien's elven language, Sindarin.
    Last edited by Raimun; 2013-02-27 at 03:18 PM.
    Signatures are so 90's.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's see... my Magus is named Nephron, son of glomerulus. As in, the nephons within one's kidney.

Also, one that was not from D&D but still made me laugh out loud: Sir Loin du Steake
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2013-02-27 at 04:12 PM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGirl

Our group has played host to such a host of characters as:

Kesha, elf ranger;
    I'llkillyou, dragonborn paladin (AKA "Bacon");
    Prozac, shardmind psion;
    iMogen, longtooth fighter;
    and Thugbare, dwarf druid.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

well, some of the characters we use often have nice names

like Vance McFighterton (the guy is a fighter, but you might confuse him for a furious berserker at anytime)
    Old Man Val (a.k.a. Valiant Silverbeard the Mighty) the guy is a knight and a very proud meatshield, me and my friends love him.
    Fergolas and Christywen (bro and sis, fans of tolkien, rangers at times, archers some other time, they provide the long range assaults)
    Big Bertha (at times gnome, other times dwarf, right now she is halfling, always rogue, she tough her name was funny because she is always a small race, we all agree)
    Flare Evilwizardine (i'm the wizard, necromancer, alchemist, healer, shapeshifter of the party, i started as human, but shapeshifter/changeling/doppleganger is funny too with my set of strange skillz)
    HealingBewbs (she is our elven maiden healer, don't ask why she dresses as a nun, our DM likes to make her victim of tentacle monsters, a lot of facepalm moments for me tough)
    and then there is our Drow sorcerer... but his name is not funny... i'll put it anyway for completion, he is Dark Alucard and took a videogame character as template for his hairdo

i have a comic where you can see us, along with a character from a friend, the unconventional mage Mickey...(and yeah it is made in paint)

Spoiler
    Show

you can also see it on my DeviantArt
    http://devani90.deviantart.com/art/D...warf-303221299
    Last edited by Dewani90; 2013-02-27 at 05:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

DrowGuy

just thought about it: idectomy. why? well if you play a half ork...

the half-ork idectomy just went for your sensitive spot. you lose d12 dmg

for those whodon't get the medical reference

... why do i hear my dm saying "that's banned"?
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”

when in doubt,

16. - Top - End - #16

I played a character by the name of Leith el Damaaj a while back.
    On creating medieval thermobaric detonations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    On rewriting your own past into a stable time loop of invulnerability:
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Glod Glodson III IV.

He was the fourth member of his family who was named after their heroic Ancestor Glod Glodson III, who was the third member of the family named after the slightly less heroic ancestor Glod Glodson.

Edit: Glod was pretty cool too, but his son was much better.
    Last edited by BRC; 2013-02-27 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Half-Orc Barbarian uncreatively named Buh Hemoth. One-shot character that I recall having a lot of fun playing.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain View Post
    Half-Orc Barbarian uncreatively named Buh Hemoth. One-shot character that I recall having a lot of fun playing.
    Usedta know a guy in real life whose nickname was "Buh". Nobody could tell me why. I think his given name was "James".

I ran a 3.5 psion whose own name was normal, but who called her psicrystal "Crystal" and her female werebear effigy creature "Ursula".

For a White Wolf game: We were playing modern characters in the U.S. but had been told the game would have a lot to do with the Cathar heresy in medieval France. My character was named Donna Lebue Bonham. The French words donnée le but mean "given the goal/purpose/aim". Bonham is a derivative of Bon Hommes, a term male Cathars used to refer to themselves. Donna's mother was named Creedence (close to credentes, another Cathar term). Her father was Brett, which happens to come from a Middle English surname for a person from Brittany. But that's all just a bunch of wild coincidences, right? ... I seriously spent, like, five hours making that name.

During the research for that game, I found out that the phrase "kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" has been in use since at least the 1200s.

For a Werewolf game, I made a runt of the litter. The small size, big personality and wiry strength reminded me of a kid in my class in grade school, so I gave the character his name. That dude could grab a flagpole and use it to lift himself horizontal, screaming about the wind blowing him away. That kind of image stays with you.

I'd love to put together the Santa gang for a Shadowrun game:
    • Santa, a fat, jolly Elf; wears shades and red fur with white trim, carries a tommy gun, uses cold magic
    • Mrs. Claws, a female street samurai
    • Rude Dolph, a red-nosed dwarf rigger, adept at piloting drones through the worst weather
    • The Snowman, an elf decker/hacker (looks like Billy Idol in "White Wedding"). IC is no problem for The Snowman!
    • Abominable/Bumble, albino troll thug
    • We'd ride around in a vehicle we call "the Slay" ... got a combat drone called "Saint Nicks 'n' Scratches" ... we make our own !@#$& chimney! ...

Spoiler
    Show
    You'd better run, or you're gonna die!
    If you wanna fight kiss your @$$ goodbye --
    Santa Claus is gunning you down.
    He'll freeze you in your footsteps, he'll shoot you in the head
    Last thing you'll see is red and white, if you live you're better off dead ...
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the closest to a deliberately funny name I've ever used is Gorthunk Facesmasher, a half-orc Cleric of Kord. Gorthunk being the sound it makes when he smashes your face.

Never really got to play him much though.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

For my first ever D&D 3.5 campaign (which, for better or worse, never made it past the first session), I made a Warblade modeled as heavily on shonen fighting series and/or JRPG tropes as I could manage. Sixteen years old, hometown destroyed as a child, spiky hair, calls out the names of his maneuvers, Power of Friendship, the works.

Took forever to come up with a good name for him. Eventually I had a flash of genius and decided on...

Shonen Seinenson

Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

22. - Top - End - #22

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I'd love to put together the Santa gang for a Shadowrun game:
    • Santa, a fat, jolly Elf; wears shades and red fur with white trim, carries a tommy gun, uses cold magic
    • Mrs. Claws, a female street samurai
    • Rude Dolph, a red-nosed dwarf rigger, adept at piloting drones through the worst weather
    • The Snowman, an elf decker/hacker (looks like Billy Idol in "White Wedding"). IC is no problem for The Snowman!
    • Abominable/Bumble, albino troll thug
    • We'd ride around in a vehicle we call "the Slay" ... got a combat drone called "Saint Nicks 'n' Scratches" ... we make our own !@#$& chimney! ...

You'd better run, or you're gonna die!
    If you wanna fight kiss your @$$ goodbye --
    Santa Claus is gunning you down.
    He'll freeze you in your footsteps, he'll shoot you in the head
    Last thing you'll see is red and white, if you live you're better off dead ...
    that is pure win! +1 of your choice!
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

I ran an adventure set in the small Elvish town of Waco (named after a local town--basically the most mundane name I could come up with).

My players loved it. Easily the most memorable setting I've ever made.
    Avatar by the lovely Paisley. Isn't she awesome? :)

Read my writing on AO3.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I ran a 4e game for my housemates a few years ago. Since we didn't have any minis, I used little cardboard squares to represent monsters, and the characters were represented by keys pulled off an old keyboard.

Most of them just used the key that was their character's inital - "K" was Kalindor, the elven ranger, "B" was Bas, the dragonborn fighter, etc.

However, as soon as we started pulling the keyboard apart, one player decided he was going to change his name. Which is how we ended up with Num-Lock, the dwarven cleric.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I can't think of anything more thrilling to read than the blow-by-blow specifics of a battle between an ancient black dragon and an apprentice baker.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

My dad tells me that back in the day, he played in a pirate-themed campaign with a bard named Cinnamon Bandeau, more commonly known as Spice, who spoke with a French accent. He brought this character back for a one-shot 4e game that I was also in, and it was needlessly awesome

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oball View Post
    I ran a 4e game for my housemates a few years ago. Since we didn't have any minis, I used little cardboard squares to represent monsters, and the characters were represented by keys pulled off an old keyboard.

Most of them just used the key that was their character's inital - "K" was Kalindor, the elven ranger, "B" was Bas, the dragonborn fighter, etc.

However, as soon as we started pulling the keyboard apart, one player decided he was going to change his name. Which is how we ended up with Num-Lock, the dwarven cleric.
    The whole idea is pretty cool, but the name change is EXCELLENT!

If there were a knight with Leadership feat in the group, but his squire keeps getting trip-attacked, you could use the "Page Up" and "Page Down" keys ...
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

The name of a young dragon NPC in one of my games was Sheepbiter

Also played in a game where we used our names but backwards

Rovert
    Tnerb
    Nella
    etc.

I thought Rovert was a cool name & used it several times afterwards
    Last edited by Anderlith; 2013-03-01 at 12:42 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Adam bereson Cedric Dawl Ed Felix Greg Henry Icarus James Koal Lucius Max Nate Olsan Paul Quaine Randy Steven Theodore Ulsa Vlad Wintson Xavier Yale Zendar the fourth,

he didn't last one encounter and later became a npc who also died, and yes his name is the alphabet

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My friend and I decided that after his adventures, a Fighter named Reginald Blackadder ascended and became the god of vengence, because his name was that awesome.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm. Does it have to be a name attached to an actual character that's been used in a game? Because the funniest name I can think of was just sort invented as a joke about characters with meaningful names: Stuffy Quicknose. He's a thief that steals things and hides them in his nose. His other character traits are unknown.