New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Crossbreeding:WARNING may be found unsettling

I have a player who wants to have children. Typically this wouldn't be much of a problem for normal races Male+Female=Baby, and the BoEF has some rules for pregnancy and for what types can breed with what, but the trouble comes in what she is and what she's trying to breed with: A Dragonwrought Kobold(yay can bread with everything) and her pet Velociraptor. What should the resulting creature(s) be? Are there any non-broken rules for combining creatures like this? Homebrew and 3rd party are fine as long as they are balanced.

As a slight aside, if anyone knows of a decent set of genetics rules for non-rolled characters that'd be great too.

Edit: Also note that she did increase the raptor's Int to 8(+1 animal companion HD +5 Wish) before even asking about this. Not much better, still a dragon and a mutant animal, but at least they are both sentient. I encourage you to focus on crunch rather than the thought of the act itself.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2014-10-14 at 02:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Crossbreeding

Half-Dragon Velociraptor?
    Rudisplorker of the faith, true Rudisplorker
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

non-mechanically i could see something that (obviously) looks like a hybrid between a kobold and a raptor, wich shouldn't be too hard to picture since they're both scaly reptiles that walk around on two legs and have tails. throw in some kobold facial features with a more curved and hunched posture of the raptor, and you should be good. Make the offspring have either kobold intelligence, or just be on the fence of it, like an int of 3, technically sentient, but only just barely. to compensate the thing would be much bigger and stronger then it's mother, more feirce and wild. the talons and blades of the dragon and the velocoraptor genes would likely mesh well together, giving it natural weapons out the wazoo, bite, claws, tail, maybe even wings.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Half dragon seems a little strong for just a DWK to be able to give, if she had the Draconic template that would be an easy addition, but it lines up poorly with the actual kobold racial traits considering kobolds have penalties in two of the stats it boosts.

Edit: Wings seem a bit much and with three natural attacks already available, I don't see why it would need more(though I may improve the bite one step since it is an overlap with dragons). I guess I could give it the dragonblood subtype at the very least to open the option for other draconic weaponry if she wants to waste the first level feat on something like Dragon Tail or Dragon Wings.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2014-10-13 at 04:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

You bred Raptors?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

...you might want to warn about the squick up at the top of the post.

Anyway, it sounds like the Draconic template is exactly what you're looking for.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think she is so preoccupied with whether or not she could that she didn't stop to think if she should.
    Because Pun-pun was on the road to ultimate power first, and he hates your guts.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

My friend suggested you might end up with something like a Deinonychus.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Either Draconic Velociraptor or Half-Dragon Velociraptor, depending on how powerful you want the offspring to be. Remember, however, that it would take time for it to mature. What are you statting the Velociraptor as? They weren't actually too big, so even the Monster Manual entry for the Deinonychus would be too much. They'd be Small size at most, unless you're just calling it a velociraptor and making it larger.

Quote Originally Posted by KingSmitty View Post
    You bred Raptors?
    This made my day, thank you.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by torrasque666 View Post
    I think she is so preoccupied with whether or not she could that she didn't stop to think if she should.
    This is an appropriate time... FOR SCIENCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    ...you might want to warn about the squick up at the top of the post.

Anyway, it sounds like the Draconic template is exactly what you're looking for.
    I appologize that you found it revolting. Now that I am thinking of it apart from crunch I am finding it more-so as well. In her defense at least she pumped his int to near human levels(8) before asking about this. The draconic template would have to be modified to seem applicable coming from a kobold. Considering they get -4 Str and -2 Con it seems hard to believe they could give +2 to both at no penalty and +2 to a third stat in which they get no bonus, everything else seems to go well with it, but 5 natural attacks may be a tad much.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Either Draconic Velociraptor or Half-Dragon Velociraptor, depending on how powerful you want the offspring to be. Remember, however, that it would take time for it to mature. What are you statting the Velociraptor as? They weren't actually too big, so even the Monster Manual entry for the Deinonychus would be too much. They'd be Small size at most, unless you're just calling it a velociraptor and making it larger.
    Drawing heavily from PF for the dinosaurs considering the much more expansive reserve there and the relatively easy backwards compatibility, so this Velociraptor. I was going to go for kobold growth since there are rules for them in RotD, could have them advance from raven to eagle then raptor stats with the appropriate movement, natural attack, skill, and special attack alterations.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2014-10-13 at 05:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Could you just average the numbers(i.e. father + mother / 2) for each of the six primary stats?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calimehter View Post
    Could you just average the numbers(i.e. father + mother / 2) for each of the six primary stats?
    That is just begging for magical abuse. Wish/Tome +5 to all stats, breed with another whose done the same, Magic Jar shuffle into the kid rinse and repeat.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    That is just begging for magical abuse. Wish/Tome +5 to all stats, breed with another whose done the same, Magic Jar shuffle into the kid rinse and repeat.
    Easy enough to say base stats. Nonissue.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Crossbreeding:WARNING may be found unsettling

In D&D, as strange as some of its inhabitants may be, I thought I'd never hear about a Dragonwrought Kobold trying to get it on with an Awakened Velociraptor. I need t go cry in my shower now.
    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 2014-10-13 at 06:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Who said it was Awakened?

Apparently it has been. Would be worse if it wasn't.
    Last edited by torrasque666; 2014-10-13 at 06:27 PM.
    Extended Sig

I'm a template!

And an artifact!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    In D&D, as strange as some of its inhabitants may be, I thought I'd never hear about a Dragonwrought Kobold trying to get it on with an Awakened Velociraptor. I need a cold shower now.
    You realize that "I need a cold shower." is said after you find something arousing...

For results I would generally go for fire breathing raptors or kobolds with sharp claws and pounce.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    You realize that "I need a cold shower." is said after you find something arousing...

For results I would generally go for fire breathing raptors or kobolds with sharp claws and pounce.
    I have no idea what you're talking about and I did not just edit my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I appologize that you found it revolting. Now that I am thinking of it apart from crunch I am finding it more-so as well. In her defense at least she pumped his int to near human levels(8) before asking about this.
    Oh, okay, much less squick knowing that.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I think "draconic" of some flavor is basically the only way to go about it. There are only a handful of species that are basically genetically compatible with more or less everything (pretty much just humans, dragons, outsiders, and other humans), and neither kobolds nor animals make the short list. As such, you'd have to treat the kobold as a dragon (which you can do, thanks Dragonwrought!), which allows the offspring to be treated as offspring of an animal and a dragon. Disturbing though it might be, according to D&D genetics, it works.

Basically, a velociraptor (because that's what one parent is) with some sort of draconic or half-dragon or dragon-blooded template (because the other parent has to be a dragon for this to work). No need to cobble together bits and pieces; just use an existing template. With regard to specific templates, two that have been mentioned are Draconic and Half-Dragon. Technically, Half-Dragon is the correct template, as one parent is a dragon and the other is not. Draconic, while it has a lower LA, is really intended for creatures with distant dragon ancestry. On the other hand, despite being treated like a dragon, the kobold isn't a proper dragon, and certainly the kid shouldn't be able to overpower both parents; Draconic is, in a sense, more appropriate for a weaker, watered-down dragon-spawn.

Note that, as it is a templated velociraptor rather than a kobold, it would be an animal or magical beast, rather than a humanoid (unless its template changes its type to dragon). This isn't a little kobold with dragon and dinosaur traits, it's a little dino with dragony bits.

As an aside, I seriously hope the PC is taking an in-character hiatus during her term. At least during the third trimester, or whatever the equivalent is for disturbing little draconic lizard-people. Adventuring isn't exactly conducive to childbearing.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Draconic velociraptor it is I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    SNIP
    As an aside, I seriously hope the PC is taking an in-character hiatus during her term. At least during the third trimester, or whatever the equivalent is for disturbing little draconic lizard-people. Adventuring isn't exactly conducive to childbearing.
    The pregnancy penalties are fairly minor obstacles for a druid to overcome, and even so I'm not really sure a kobold should take them considering they only carry the egg internally for up to 2 weeks. She took the Body Pouch feat on her animal companion and I think is planning on making the father carry the egg(s) for the requisite 60 days of incubation and just not use him in combat much/at all.

As far as the babies... I'm giving them raven ability scores and HD until 18 months, then eagle til 5 years(if it goes that long). She can deal with them in combat if she wants, may grant her the rage effect if one of them gets put in danger. "What do you mean I can't cast spells?!" lol If she buffs them up, they might be fine, they do have evasion at least.
    Last edited by Ruethgar; 2014-10-13 at 07:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well, assuming you don't restrict it to base stats, its tough to begrudge some above-average offspring to any parent rich and/or powerful enough to afford that sort of power. Especially to those who are able to do that multiple times over multiple generations. They are pretty much all-but-demigods at that point, anyway, and could be abusing the world in just about any way they can imagine.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm partial to Encyclopaedia Arcane Crossbreeding, myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

IDK but, shouldn't this involve a clutch of eggs ? Maybe 100 ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Draconic velociraptor it is I suppose.

The pregnancy penalties are fairly minor obstacles for a druid to overcome, and even so I'm not really sure a kobold should take them considering they only carry the egg internally for up to 2 weeks. She took the Body Pouch feat on her animal companion and I think is planning on making the father carry the egg(s) for the requisite 60 days of incubation and just not use him in combat much/at all.

As far as the babies... I'm giving them raven ability scores and HD until 18 months, then eagle til 5 years(if it goes that long). She can deal with them in combat if she wants, may grant her the rage effect if one of them gets put in danger. "What do you mean I can't cast spells?!" lol If she buffs them up, they might be fine, they do have evasion at least.
    If your using BoEF and she's a Druid, remind her what happens when some is preggers and undergoes a shapeshift of some kind (Hint: it involves dead babies). I know its only for 2 weeks, but its two weeks of no Wildshaping or Shapechange if she's that high.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

She is aware of the lack of shapeshifting. And being that she is a kobold she only gets one egg with a 10% chance of a second, not a clutch of 100.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

She is aware of the lack of shapeshifting. And being that she is a kobold she only gets one egg with a 10% chance of a second, not a clutch of 100.
    The rules cover this ?

1-100 would be funnier though.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    The rules cover this ?

1-100 would be funnier though.
    BoEF has many uses.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As much as I love templates, maybe you should make this using crossbreeding from other sources. Consider this; the average intelligence score for a Raptor is 2, a Kobold, 10. This means the children are somewhere in between (probably 6), which is a -4 penalty. Give me a bit, I'll come up with some stats and post them here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, you could push Kobold or Velociraptor through the metatemplate in Goodman Games' Book of Templates and come up with a half- version of either.