New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Stranger in the Playground Retired Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Default Re: Old Game Classics Recommendations

I remember exploring every variation and solution to Maniac Mansion (NES microwavable hamster version).

Xenogears for PS1 is still charming. Chrono Cross maintains great replay variation and is interesting to see a proto version of the D&D 5E spell slot system.

Douglas Adams fans should certainly try out Starship Titanic at least once for the NPC chat aspect. It was "mess with Siri" before Siri was ever around.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    And how has no one mentioned Worms: Armageddon (1999) yet?
    I did name Worms 2... And to be fair, they released way too many of those things, to the point where I'm not sure how many of those titles are just quick repackagings of a previous title.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    There were at least a few games that required you to go to a website or, on at least one occasion, call a phone number IRL, so I believe that they genuinely thought they were being clever by including interaction with non-game materials. That it ended up combining well with some copy protection methods is, I think, something of a coincidence.
    My favorite copy protection was the one for Laura Bow: Colonel's Bequest. The game came with a red-tinted magnifying glass that you could use to see fingerprints on the copy protection sheet. You had to match up the fingerprints with the person they belonged to. A thematically fun way to do copy protection for a murder mystery. Of course, if you lost (or broke, since it was paper and plastic) the magnifying glass, you were pretty much screwed. I remember having to use the red card from the old Sierra hintbooks as an ersatz magnifying glass to read the fingerprints one row at a time.

For the record, QFG also had some copy protection - just not as severe as some of the other cases. In QFGII the crazy streets of Shapeir (and their reversed counterparts in Raseir) were a sort of semi-copy protection, as a map of the city was included with the game. You could use the magic map to get by in Shapeir, but once you were in Raseir you either had to have a good memory, a good sense of direction, or have the actual map.

In QFGIV, there is just straight up copy protection. Dr. Cranium will not make you potions if you don't tell him the recipes, which are "chemical formulas" with the chemicals translated into the 5 elements (Wind, Water, Fire, Earth, and Pizza) in various places in the manual. This wouldn't be SO bad if making a particular potion weren't required to beat the game. So you could play it just fine...but you would be playing on hard mode, and eventually you would hit a brick wall.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    My favorite copy protection was the one for Laura Bow: Colonel's Bequest. The game came with a red-tinted magnifying glass that you could use to see fingerprints on the copy protection sheet. You had to match up the fingerprints with the person they belonged to. A thematically fun way to do copy protection for a murder mystery. Of course, if you lost (or broke, since it was paper and plastic) the magnifying glass, you were pretty much screwed. I remember having to use the red card from the old Sierra hintbooks as an ersatz magnifying glass to read the fingerprints one row at a time.
    Red Saran Wrap worked quite well in cases like this, and you could get away with a Tupperware lid if you it was thin enough.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Talking about ancient copy protections, I remember Prince of Persia having a whole room of potions and letters underneath, and a reference that called to a certain page and line in the game manual. The wrong potions were poison and killed you immediately, IIRC.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2019-09-21 at 07:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    I did name Worms 2... And to be fair, they released way too many of those things, to the point where I'm not sure how many of those titles are just quick repackagings of a previous title.
    For some help: Of the games running on the Worms 2 engine, Worms: Armageddon is the one with most recent updates and best online play upkeep. Worms World Party is technically newer, but for whatever reason the community attention diverted to the older game, and W:A is now supposed to have all of WWP's functionality and extras, so if you want an older Worms game, Armageddon is the definite go-to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    Talking about ancient copy protections, I remember Prince of Persia having a whole room of potions and letters underneath, and a reference that called to a certain page and line in the game manual. The wrong potions were poison and killed you immediately, IIRC.
    Oh, if you want weird and wonderful copy protection methods you have to go back further than Prince of Persia. Best one was a little device called a "Lenslok" that was used as copy protection for various 8-bit games including the ZX Spectrum version of Elite--the idea was that you had this plastic lens with various prisms on it, the game would display a garbled image of some text onscreen, and you had to view it through the lens to make it readable and allow you to type the code. It was a royal PITA to get the thing to work, because the image had to be a very specific size, and of course the Spectrum used a TV with who knows what screen size for its display, so getting the image to the right size for the lens to do its job was a tricksy process.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh, if you want weird and wonderful copy protection methods you have to go back further than Prince of Persia. Best one was a little device called a "Lenslok" that was used as copy protection for various 8-bit games including the ZX Spectrum version of Elite--the idea was that you had this plastic lens with various prisms on it, the game would display a garbled image of some text onscreen, and you had to view it through the lens to make it readable and allow you to type the code. It was a royal PITA to get the thing to work, because the image had to be a very specific size, and of course the Spectrum used a TV with who knows what screen size for its display, so getting the image to the right size for the lens to do its job was a tricksy process.
    That sounds like it could be its own game alright.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    And I spend years not knowing the full title of Raptor: Call of the Shadows (1994). I was looking for it because it had this music I remembered and I kind of like top down scrolling shooters anyway, and I found it again eventually, or rather, it found me. And... it's okay. It could really use some way to grind. As it stands you only gain resources from levels you complete and there's no real way to reply levels, so the difficulty is very fixed, where I would enjoy a bit more "just let me shoot things up I'm doing this for fun". Tyrian (1995, re-released with a handful of improvements in 1999 as Tyrian 2000) was another fun one in the genre. That's one of those games I learned about later during my old games period, so there's less nostalgia goggles there and I still got quite a ways into the game. This game in the higher upgrade stages basically let's you fill the screen with bullets. Not enemy bullets, your own.
    I've played those both as new. Mind I never took to that genre, too many bad memories from arcade machines I could never play.

Apropos the ancinet CRM. How many here have played games where you would have to endlessly restart the game to get it to spawn the one question you knew the answer to because that's all the friend of a friend you got it from had.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2019-09-23 at 02:52 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Super Mario Bros.
    Donkey Kong
    The Legend of Zelda
    Pac-Man
    Mortal Kombat
    Adventure Island

11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground

super mario 3, world, 64

tomb raider 1, 2

stronghold
    heroes of might and magic 2, 3

advance wars 1, 2 (gameboy advance)

resident evil 2
    parasite eve 2

baldurs gate 1, 2
    icewind dale 1, 2
    fallout 1, 2
    underrail (newer, but it's like older games)

half-life 1 (bioshock 1, deadspace 1; I like them for the same reasons)

final fantasy tactics

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrinblade View Post
    deadspace 1
    A shame that the PC version is such a bad port

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll second the recommendation for Tyrian, the best scrolling shooter of all time, and also point out that it's available for free on GoG.

While I'm at it, Liero is a delightful non-turn-based version of Worms, and both it and Triplane Turmoil are amazing games to play with friends.
    Last edited by MinimanMidget; 2019-10-03 at 12:55 AM.