New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Types of D&D Player

As a Player, I am obviously the sideways errant, and try to be the storyteller.
    Is it my fault, if the plot was not LOGICAL? There where two graves empty, but only one body in the possesion of the necromancer. I smell ... a trap!

as A DM, I am Far Too Helpful (don't you think that blocking the entrance would be a swell idea?...) with more than a smidgen of You Think THAT Is A Tripping Build? Next Session, I Will Give You A TRIPPING Build!
    Whenever a player of mine makes a tactical blunder, I cannot help but build a fight to showcase the better solution either in an opponents behaviour or as the only way to stop that opponent.

Oh, and I just love mean riddles. Nearly as much as I hate weakly explained riddle rooms in dungeons. Anyone now the angry DMs three door dillemma?
    Last edited by Phaederkiel; 2013-01-10 at 11:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phaederkiel View Post
    Oh, and I just love mean riddles. Nearly as much as I hate weakly explained riddle rooms in dungeons. Anyone now the angry DMs three door dillemma?
    Behind one door: A GIANT OOZE*! Behind another door: HORDES OF ANGRY BEES**! Behind the third door: GOLD AND JEWELS, WEALTH BEYOND YOUR WILDEST DREAMS***!

*Fully advanced Black Pudding
    **Giant bees, 40+ of them
    ***Cursed, contact poisoned, and one of them is the jeweled skull of the demilich Acererak

How's that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

Oh dear. I am a Complicator, especially in PbP. My GMs, I'm sorry. (Although I think at least one of them likes it.)

I used to be the Manager, I'm somewhat less so these days. Playing my L16 wild mage and her L14 warweaver / sublime chord cohort (who were also the group's main social characters, and talked to everyone) in 12+-hour online sessions was fun, but also induced literal splitting headaches. (And yes, I had extensive spreadsheets on my laptop for them.) I'm glad I did it, but never again.

And I have once played the Nuclear Deterrent. She never pulled out her real nukes, but did at one point react to an onslaught of nasty incorporeals with "FINE. As my standard action, eight avorals appear. All together now: LAY ON HANDS." The GM spluttered a little. (I did point out what she could have done. He was unappeased.)
    Word:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    I must not argue on the Internet.
    Internet argument is the mind-killer.
    It is the little death that brings total aggravation.
    I will face my annoyance.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    When it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path.
    Where the irritation has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phaederkiel View Post
    "One guard lies, one tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions?"
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

yep, it is somewhat like that. let me see if I recall right.

there is a room, containing three options. A voice tells you: "only one thing i tell you is true. first door is trapped and deadly, second door ..."

and you have to deduce that the "only one thing i tell you is true" sentence is already part of the riddle, cannot be true, and than you can only rule out one of the doors, and have a 50/50 chance to get the right door. You just have to hope for the best, and all your deducing helps you is that you could rule out one door.

In the original riddle, getting the wrong door desintegrates your character without a saving throw. It was made as a trial for a wannabe king, to see if he is clever enough to chance his peoples life, not his own...

skull of acerak feels somewhat tame in comparision, eh?

I ran it ( allowing both door to be safe, and the danger door only did 2d6 con dmg...) in a dungeon with another such trap of my own design, and my players did it perfectly (albeit slowly, since they were still paranoid from MY riddle room)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Here is my group:

Me as DM: The Calculator, I prepare my sessions weeks in advance, I have future sessions already planned out with CRs figured up with items rolled out and story lines ready to go.

My Current DM: THE DM, when playing with this person, you have no doubt, that he has DMed before, he knows what he is doing, doesn't flinch when having to answer questions or play our scenarios. Cool, calm, and funny when the time calls.

The Shell: Shy teenager who in private will talk at no end about what he wants to do with his character, wants to be the big shot, the big kahuna, and then in practice tightens his mouth up like Venus fly trap and has to be cracked by other players to open up for that round.

The Roleplayer who isn't Roleplaying: He knows what his character is like, and acts like his character but in his voice and actions and demeanor. It is better than a Rollplayer but not much.

The He built his character on pure flavor, not for roleplaying it, just in practice to seem himself as a little bit more complete for making it happen. The party's needs? HA!

The Detective: Will play 20 questions and when its over, ask 40 more.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frathe View Post
    Hey, Playgrounders: What type are you?
    15: the grimlock: this guy will play the same character across multiple universes, never changing the backstory or stat equivalencies. although boring to others, if he's good, you know how he plays and could save your hide
    Admittedly, this is me. I have a necromancer/wizard character that I like to play in any game I can.

My justification is that as a wizard, she would have the means to travel between different worlds and universes. xD

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I feel like slotting players into types is doing an injustice to the rich tapestry of the human experience.

It's also rolling around in a big pile of stormwind fallacy.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm the guy that will point out RAW (if I know it, and I don't need to know all the rules) when something is contradicted, but accept group decisions regarding how we want to treat (or even just ignore) those rules. I guess I'm more of a wargamer archetype, though I try to participate in rp and only care that the rules are followed unless we as a group decide should an issue with a rule arise. I try to pull back if I feel my power level is too high compared to the others.

That said, my RL group also has the friend, the true wargamer (spacing out excet during combat and when the DM prod him), and whichever player archetype is the one to initiate the arms race.
    Last edited by kladams707; 2013-06-17 at 09:08 AM.