New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lehmann View Post
    Clearly, you are most likely a single person who has never co-ordinated a busy family with lots of Doctor appointments, activities, etc.

Yes, this is definitely a "first world problem" and easily solved by buying another calendar. But, it is irritating. So, I made some constructive suggestions, labeled *in the future, please* in my original post. The Giant's responses -- which can be summarized as "you should have paid more", "go buy a calendar", and "caveat emptor" -- were less than helpful and, in turn, made me a bit angry.
    You chose the shipping option to combine the order into one shipment. You then complained that they didn't ship the items seperately. Do you see why people might find that a tad strange? You asked for something and then complained when you got exactly that. If the calendar was important, you shouldn't have chosen the shipping option that waited until the book was in stock.

The calendar was in stock. The book wasn't. You took a risk by asking them to wait for the book. The result being that the book didn't come in until nearly Christmas, preventing them from shipping it out until this week. That is the risk you took when you said "Wait for the item that isn't in stock before shipping.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: OOTS Book 5 - Blood Runs in the Family (plus 2015 OOTS Heroes Calendar)

Still no book, but Peelee's success gives me hope that it shall reach here soon.

Peelee’s Lotsey

3. - Top - End - #243
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Still no book, but Peelee's success gives me hope that it shall reach here soon.
    Truly, I am a beacon of hope.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    The calendar was in stock. The book wasn't.
    This is incorrect. When I placed my order, on Nov. 20th, neither was in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    You took a risk by asking them to wait for the book.
    I never asked them to wait for the book. I just followed an OOTS front-page link that led to ordering both of them (when neither was in stock) and only gave shipping options for the pair of items.

This is why my first suggestion for Rich was to de-couple time-sensitive items from other items. Yes, I understand that for many people the Calendars are not time-sensitive and I do take Rich's point that, for many customers, bundling the shipping is therefore more important. But, I believe a clearly stated option to ship the calendars first (and charge more if that is needed) would be nice for that subset of customers who actually use the calendars.

Now, perhaps, such an option was available on the web-site and I should have, in hindsight, searched harder for it. Or, perhaps I should have automatically assumed that the book would be delayed and ordered them separately.

Another alternative would be to make the Calendars less time-sensitive by including a January year+1 page in the 2016+ calendars (which solves this issue for 2017 on).

I wasn't upset when I began this series of posts. I explained my situation and offered some suggestions which I began with "in the future, please". This is a product thread. I'm not telling Rich how to tell his story. I'm giving him feedback and future suggestions for a product that I ordered, in hopes of improving my future customer experience. Yes; I found Rich's replies not very helpful and, yes, I got a bit snippy in return.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Banned

Zombie

Clearly, you are most likely a single person who has never co-ordinated a busy family with lots of Doctor appointments, activities, etc.

Yes, this is definitely a "first world problem" and easily solved by buying another calendar. But, it is irritating. So, I made some constructive suggestions, labeled *in the future, please* in my original post. The Giant's responses -- which can be summarized as "you should have paid more", "go buy a calendar", and "caveat emptor" -- were less than helpful and, in turn, made me a bit angry.
    I'm married, have three kids, and we all share our google calendars. However I take your point. I just disagree that a calendar is useless if you don't have it on Jan 1st.

6. - Top - End - #246

Well, it's harder to coordinate things between 1 January and the date the calendar arrives, hence Tom's remark about a wall full of Post-Its.

Not that this should be a problem next year, as we won't be expecting Book 6 then.

7. - Top - End - #247

RedKnightGirl

comic book coloring book and 2015 calendar arrived today.

Girlfriend will not let me read comic book

Calendar had some interesting things in it

Wish the I could have colored in the calendar pages they were far more interesting then the coloring book pictures.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

8. - Top - End - #248
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Not that this should be a problem next year, as we won't be expecting Book 6 then.
    Unless something drastically changes, we won't have to worry about that until around 2021. Maybe we'll get a prequel book to tide us over, though.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

This is why my first suggestion for Rich was to de-couple time-sensitive items from other items.
    I think I see what the problem is. The items began decoupled. You coupled them by placing them on the same order and choosing the pre-order shipping to have them shipped together. That's not Rich's fault, that's your fault. Maybe don't order two things on the same order if you don't want them to ship together and thus have to wait for the vagaries of the shipping process to be complete for both items before they can be shipped to you.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Iowa. Arrived today with the winter cold. Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, nor glom* of night can keep these messengers from their appointed rounds!

*Discworld joke.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    You coupled them by placing them on the same order and choosing the pre-order shipping to have them shipped together.
    Yes; I see that now and that is certainly how it works from the Ookadook product pages. What wasn't clear to me at the time -- when the pre-order was first announced on the OOTS front page -- was that this coupling would take place. You have one announcement of two pre-order items along with a single special pre-order shipping option. Being clearer in the future about this coupling would be helpful.

Please note that I'm not assigning blame. I never said "this is Rich's fault"; instead, I made suggestions *for the future*.

I am trying to be constructive. It's hard when so many people are defensive and talk in terms of "blame" and "fault".
    Last edited by Tom Lehmann; 2015-01-06 at 07:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes; I see that now and that is certainly how it works from the Ookadook product pages. What wasn't clear to me at the time -- when the pre-order was first announced on the OOTS front page -- was that this coupling would take place. You have one announcement of two pre-order items along with a single special pre-order shipping option. Being clearer in the future about this coupling would be helpful.

Please note that I'm not assigning blame. I never said "this is Rich's fault"; instead, I made suggestions *for the future*.

I am trying to be constructive. It's hard when so many people are defensive and talk in terms of "blame" and "fault".
    I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure every single time I've ever bought more than one item online together they have been coupled into one shipment.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-01-06 at 08:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure every single time I've ever bought more than one item online together they have been coupled into one shipment.
    Amazon offers the option to couple orders or ship separately if they expect disparate shipping times on multiple items

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Amazon offers the option to couple orders or ship separately if they expect disparate shipping times on multiple items
    And Amazon is a multi multi billion dollar company that can afford to eat the increased shipping costs and/or negoiate favorable deals with the Big Boys of the shipping world.

Also, as an aside, even Amazon used to charge increased shipping if you had to send out items separately. Might still do, depending on the item and/or if you have Amazon Prime.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-01-06 at 10:54 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    And Amazon is a multi multi billion dollar company that can afford to eat the increased shipping costs and/or negoiate favorable deals with the Big Boys of the shipping world.

Also, as an aside, even Amazon used to charge increased shipping if you had to send out items separately. Might still do, depending on the item and/or if you have Amazon Prime.
    Ive actually dealt with Amazon on the supplier side, and they were surprisingly reasonable. Anyway, decoupled shipping could still charge for each own shipped, with no need to eat any costs regardless of size.

And Prime never costs to ship*, unless you want next day. It's quite glorious.

*for Amazon fulfilled items, of course.

EDIT: an aside for your aside: even before Prime, Free Super Saver Shipping did exist, and decoupled orders still shipped free. Irrelevant to the point, but still.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2015-01-06 at 11:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm well aware of Prime as well as Super Saver. Been shopping with Amazon for a loooooooooooooooong time*.

Still, I think the larger point that most/many small businesses will ship in one container per order shouldn't be lost. Do some offer decoupled shipping at a potentially incresed cost? Sure. OTOH nothing says one couldn't make more than one order with Ookoodook. In fact, I did just that with my latest order. Partially comes down to the size of the operation and partially to the software that they use for orders.

Just remember, the more moving parts there are in an opearation, the more chances there are for something to get loused up. So there might be very good reasons not to allow for decoupled shipping as a standard option.

In the end, if getting things that are on pre-order when they become available is that important or time sensitive, order separately. If only to try to head off Murphy's Law.

*Checks*

First order made in 1999? Jeeze. Really has been a long time.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-01-06 at 11:24 PM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You are right, I should correct my earlier statement.

"Every time I have ever purchased anything online that wasn't from a billion dollar corporation, they coupled the shipping"

Because

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    This.

If you're getting shipping from a small company like OOK, you're pretty much paying what they're paying for shipping, plus a small handling fee. They can't afford to pay the extra $5 it would take to ship every calendar separately. If I bought two items from them, I would bet every dollar I owned and would ever own that they would be shipped together, because that's just how EVERYONE does it, minus Amazon.

If you want two different shipments, you order them separately. That's just common sense. Maybe some companies might offer decoupled shipping, but if you don't know that coupled shipping is the OVERWHELMING default, then you must not do much ordering online.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2015-01-07 at 01:06 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258

BardGuy

I just got this in my email:

"Hello,

When we began to finish our fulfillment, for some reason some customers received duplicate shipments. Please contact me when you receive the second shipment. If you can take it to the post office and return to sender, that would be the best way to return the second shipment, if that doesn’t work, please let me know.

Thank you for your Business!
    Tina Baumgartner
    Ape Games/Ookoodook.com
    Shipping Department"

It's ok, it was for some reason. Those happen all the time. I have all the time in the world to deal with the post office.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    If you're getting shipping from a small company like OOK, you're pretty much paying what they're paying for shipping, plus a small handling fee. They can't afford to pay the extra $5 it would take to ship every calendar separately. If I bought two items from them, I would bet every dollar I owned and would ever own that they would be shipped together, because that's just how EVERYONE does it, minus Amazon.

If you want two different shipments, you order them separately. That's just common sense. Maybe some companies might offer decoupled shipping, but if you don't know that coupled shipping is the OVERWHELMING default, then you must not do much ordering online.
    I've run into the opposite problem actually. Ordered from a webstore and they started sending me parts of the order as and when they got it. I would have preferred them to hold it all and just send me one shipment, because the post office is far away. I swear, once I even specifically told them "please hold it all together" and they still didn't. Horses for courses. *shrugs*

20. - Top - End - #260

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I've run into the opposite problem actually. Ordered from a webstore and they started sending me parts of the order as and when they got it. I would have preferred them to hold it all and just send me one shipment, because the post office is far away. I swear, once I even specifically told them "please hold it all together" and they still didn't. Horses for courses. *shrugs*
    To be fair, if it isn't product they normally have on hand they may have no way of reliably storing it. If it ends up misplaced that just creates more headaches. Not to mention depending on their accounting system it then becomes inventory they could theoretically be taxed on if it stays too long. It may seem easy for them to hold for one person, but if 500 people ask them to hold it introduces a whole level of tracking where partial shipments are being kept and which ones are completed, not to mention it's now a guessing game of how long to hold. I'd guess in your case the difference was minimal, but what if one of the parts was delayed two weeks? Should they still wait? What about three months?

Sorry; I'm not meaning to call you out. I actually wanted to point out that all small companies have reasons for their quirks. While it sounds easy to make an exception it usually just throws off established processes and results in headaches for both sides.

The same for ook in this case: they probably found that they have a normal amount of orders in a given week and large releases overwhelm their shipping staff. So they've been working with a bulk shipper that they can hand over just boxes of product and a file of addresses & pack lists and let them handle individual shipments. The discount they give is as an incentive to let them do it as much as it is them passing on savings.

The delay in printing while annoying isn't uncommon, but having to find a new fulfillment company because of TSA issues was out of left field. Ook had a working relationship with a company and their shipment probably would have gone right out; with the new company they probably got slotted into the end of the line. So if anyone is to blame for the delay deep into the year it's the Feds for creating that situation.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Just got mine!

The Preface makes me very sad, though.
    "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "What's the worst thing that could happen?"
    - Maxim 14 of the Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries. From Schlock Mercenary by Howard Tayler.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

I'm another Iowa resident, and I got my stuff today. The calendar was a little bent, but that's to be expected when it was rubber banded to my mailbox. Still gorgeous, though.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just wanted to confirm that the preordered books are starting to arrive. I'm in California and just got mine.

24. - Top - End - #264

Lizardfolk

Anyone know what company is doing the shipping? USPS vs FedEx vs UPS vs ??? My wife did the ordering since the book was a gift for me and she doesn't recall if it mentioned what method would be used. Sadly the mail has already been delivered today, but I could hold onto hope of it still arriving today if the USPS isn't the shipper. (I'm in Minnesota for reference if it matters. I saw that some Iowa residents started getting their books yesterday.)
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #265
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

I got mine from USPS

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Sacramento, CA: REPRESENT, YO!

(got both of my packages approx ten minutes ago via USPS)

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dakaran View Post
    Anyone know what company is doing the shipping? USPS vs FedEx vs UPS vs ??? My wife did the ordering since the book was a gift for me and she doesn't recall if it mentioned what method would be used. Sadly the mail has already been delivered today, but I could hold onto hope of it still arriving today if the USPS isn't the shipper. (I'm in Minnesota for reference if it matters. I saw that some Iowa residents started getting their books yesterday.)
    Looks like it's USPS, so I'm in the same situation as you (mail already came). For those keeping score, I'm in Massachusetts.

That is, when I'm in this galaxy.
    Last edited by Jaxzan Proditor; 2015-01-07 at 05:46 PM.

Peelee’s Lotsey

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

*reads January calendar*

Aha! Now I know the REAL reason for the delay.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mr. Burlew obviously had to fight off the Copyright Police and their good friends who work at Royalty Payments Inc.

Thanks a lot, Elan.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, at least that's the explanation I'm going with.

Also like the alluding to "Dec 32nd" of the last calendar.

EDITED:::::

*gets to May*

I'll spoiler this, I suppose.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, nuts. This is gonna bug the hell outta me.

*checks old threads*

Looks like its Miskatonic once again, but I'm having trouble mapping the characters to letters.

Anyone who wants to help here, feel free.

EDITED TWICE:::::

*finishes calendar*

Well worth the wait.

Ironically given the discussion in this thread, there is a mini-calendar for 2016. Which should work out for those who need it should the 2016 OOTS Villains Calendar ship late for some unforseen reason.

"2016 OOTS Villains Calendar"

Oh, did I let that slip out? Well, it was a fairly safe bet, I thought.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-01-07 at 04:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

im in Texas. Hopefully it arrives today. since the Ook warehouse is only 3-4 hours from my house.
    Why is it every D&D story starts with "So there i am..."?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cheesymetal View Post
    im in Texas. Hopefully it arrives today. since the Ook warehouse is only 3-4 hours from my house.
    That might be the case, but the books are still sent to a distribution node in Dallas, so even if you are based in Houston, your books are still going on a road trip before getting to your place (mind you, San Antonio might be closer to Dallas than to Houston - I wouldn't know - so you might be even closer to said node than to the Ook WH).

----

In other news, my S.O. just informed me that our book & calendar order just arrived. But due to my paranoia about revealing personal information online, I rather not say where we are based, sorry.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-01-07 at 05:45 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est