New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 64 Times the Harvesting: Let's Play Harvest Moon 64

UUUUUUUUUU

Hmm, while spotting the font size 2 "U" is easy enough, font size 1 and normal font look exactly the same to me... I can't tell which is the small one. I'm not sure what you can see that I don't. I know the font size USED to change to a small size, so I was incredibly annoyed when it stopped working.

Moving on, I guess I forgot the library was closed. I can't imagine you skipped that detail, Deme. Thanks, as well, for changing the granny font, this new one is much easier to read. Also, so, there wasn't an Ann line to complement the Cliff one after all... Pity, I just assumed there would be since Cliff was talking about her. Glad you fit in the connection anyway then.

On that topic, the more I thought of the conversation, the more amused I was and I think a good set up like this DEMANDS a new question period!

=====
    "Welcome Ann, Karen, Elli, Maria and Popuri to our very first roundtable discussion. Our first question comes from Toma. Ahem.

"Dear ladies, as you may or may not be aware, Ann has discovered that Fox is a gigantic perv recently. What are your feelings towards him now that this truth is revealed?

"Aright, assuming that all 5 of you are in agreement with him being a perv, lets start the conversation with... Wait, what's that? You seem anxious to say something first? Is it because you disagree with the assertion that Fox is a perv?"
    =====

And go! I had fun all evening trying to think of how they would work though that one. Whether or not the other 4 would know about it. Whether any would agree that calling him a perv was even fair since he hadn't said anything yet. If yes, which ones would defend Fox (if any) or back Ann (or if Ann would decide that Fox wasn't a perv, after all). Whether or not Popuri was capable of even understanding the entendre... Heh.

If it sounds like overkill though or just plain uninteresting, skip it. I like the idea of a discussion format that doesn't have Fox in it though. Maybe there would be a better question/format for it?

Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-08-11 at 10:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    So random question unrelated to the Let's Play, if I wanted to try a game from the Harvest Moon series myself, any recommendations on where to start? I'd prefer a handheld version of the game (I noticed a whole crapton of them available for the DS, as well as a few for GB/GBA), but if there's one for a console that's a better intro to the series I'm open to suggestions.
    Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA might be a good place to start. It followed after HM64 so the mechanics are fairly similar. It also features most of the same characters, but some of them have slightly different roles or personalities. If you're enjoying the LP, you'd find it quite familiar but not spoilerishly so.

That said, I don't think you could really go wrong with any of them.

3. - Top - End - #183

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    UUUUUUUUUU
    Hmm, while spotting the font size 2 "U" is easy enough, font size 1 and normal font look exactly the same to me... I can't tell which is the small one. I'm not sure what you can see that I don't. I know the font size USED to change to a small size, so I was incredibly annoyed when it stopped working.
    This is what I see. Looks like it's working on my end.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #184

OMG! Thanks for the screenshot Cleric. For you, it's the exact opposite. I can see the size 1 font clearly but the rest looks the same.

That is so weird. Why can't I see it like you see it? I KNOW I used to be able to... Is there something wrong with my settings? Maybe it happened when I got this computer?
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-08-12 at 01:24 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Oh, and a name for the next chicken, breaded.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarNorth View Post
    Friends of Mineral Town for the GBA might be a good place to start. It followed after HM64 so the mechanics are fairly similar. It also features most of the same characters, but some of them have slightly different roles or personalities. If you're enjoying the LP, you'd find it quite familiar but not spoilerishly so.

That said, I don't think you could really go wrong with any of them.
    The roles and personalities are slightly different and deeply inferior (I will never forgive Rick. Neeeeeevvvvvveeeer. The more I see that version of Rick, the less I will forgive him.))

Also, it is a remake of the game that's 64's sister, Back to Nature. The more you know. That said, it is a solid game, and without a lot of the BS that's crept into the series over the years. If you don't mind a *lot* of BS, I reccomend in terms of DS games Sunshine Islands; I'm rather fond of it, maybe because I like me some jungleboy. I haven't really played much of Tale of Two Towns, but it looks pretty neat from where I sit. There's a DS version. I'd stay away from Harvest Moon: DS. It's very buggy.
    For console games, if you like the sort of feel of HM64, A Wonderful Life may be for you; it's one of the deeper games. If you like a more fantastic, I say Animal Parade for the Wii. I love me some Wizard.

No, Trobby, we can't get pigs in this game. :(

Round Table, Round Table...
    Spoiler
    Show

"Hey, you, listen! Who said I need people siding with me! And anyway, who said he's a perv?"
    "Well, you did. It says right here. And you sort of walked into it, Ann."
    "W-well, anyway! He apologized and that's enough!"
    "Maybe he really didn't mean it. Let's not jump to conclusions."
    "Every man's a perv, at least a little bit. I don't mind a good dirty joke. If you end up in another, come tell me next time!"
    "Yeah, alright."
    *looks at transcription of the scene. Looks confused.* "U-um.... I d-don't..."

"This is a dumb idea. Let's go home, you guys."
    "Oh, come on! It's a party!"
    "Where did all this wine come from?"
    "The Kifu fairies?"
    Uh, ladies... You're drifting off...
    "...Well, I guess I could stay for a little party...But let me go get some snacks."
    "And Decorations!"
    "E-excuse me...But about this t-transcription"
    "Wait. Gray's not here... So I can party as hard as I want! No one will stop me! MWAHAAHAHAHAHA!"
    "Your cutoff limit is still 2, Ann."
    "Rats."

"I-I don't get it..."
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-12 at 08:39 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

7. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    For console games, if you like the sort of feel of HM64, A Wonderful Life may be for you; it's one of the deeper games.
    I tried to get into A Wonderful Life, but I found it incredibly slow paced. I only made it through the first year.

Currently I'm slowly working through Rune Factory 2 on the DS (Rune Factory is basically Harvest Moon mixed with action RPG combat parts). I haven't made it through my first season yet so I can't properly give a recommendation but so far I think it's a neat take on Harvest Moon, albeit with some clunky controls.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

I like the Rune Factory games very much, personally. And yeah, AWL is a bit slow-paced, and I find the cast somewhat boring... But it's just a reccomendation I hear, for reasons that make sense to me, from a lot of folks, so I tossed it in.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote for 'flay' for our next chicken. Let's have fun with homophones!
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

10. - Top - End - #190
    Firbolg in the Playground

Thanks for the input, I went ahead and picked up Friends of Mineral Town (used game store had it available for under 10 dollars, good enough for me!). The characters being the same is both reassuring and disappointing at the same time. On the one hand, it is nice to have some familiarity there, on the other hand, it might have been nice to get to meet some new people. Though from the bit I've seen so far there's a fair shuffle of the characters, so it should be fine. Also like that the town is totally different, not just in layout but in terms of what's there.

I was considering one of the Rune Factory games, but decided I'd rather go with a more traditional harvest moon for now. I may try Rune Factory down the line if I like this.

Right now my biggest issue starting the game is a bunch of stupid mistakes. Exiting menus and wasting stamina on a tool use I didn't mean to. I've also wasted one or two packs of seeds that way already. Just need to learn to be more careful and get used to the controls I guess.

Anyway, I'm done going off topic. Thanks for tolerating me, and now back to your regularly scheduled Let's Play thread.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

11. - Top - End - #191

Thanks for the Roundtable, Deme.

Okay, that post made me come to a decision. Flustered Ann is my new favorite! Fox needs to tease her more often because she is so darn easy to get a reaction out of. In addition, I've decided that she seems like the girl that is the most likely to put her foot in her mouth on her own accord, after a re-read of the series so far. She is just absolutely adorable when she gets embarrassed/flummoxed.

Now, I know what you are thinking. "But Toma, Gray will beat him up if I have Fox do that." Well, that is just the price I'm willing to have him pay for my amusement. Besides, getting knocked out will make a good spot to use that fainting graphic that normally happens when Fox runs out of stamina.

Elli, of course, is not winning any new points in my book. First it was short hair and now she said that doing a roundtable was dumb. The roundtable is awesome! I'd like to see some more of this style later on.

I'm surprised Maria was the one that ended up being confused. Does she not read romance novels with their cheesy euphemisms for intimacy? I was even more surprised that Popuri was the one that called Ann out for walking into it. Heh. I think I have been underestimating her a bit. Of course, she (and Elli) also didn't pick up on the fact that Fox was trying to flirt with her when they first met, which is part of the reason I've been thinking Fox might be considered more of a deviant then other men of the town.

Oh, and on the subject of pigs. You can't get pigs because all you can do with them as farm animals is eat them. Since Harvest Moon never lets you butcher the animals you own, you are only allowed to have animals that give off secondary products like milk, eggs and wool.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-08-13 at 12:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    Since Harvest Moon never lets you butcher the animals you own, you are only allowed to have animals that give off secondary products like milk, eggs and wool.
    That gives me an idea. After a long day of hard work and little food, a low stamina and high fatigue Fox goes into the chicken coop for more work. But his stomach growls and he ends up dreaming of eating Nugget.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

I will file that under "Ideas I will consider for when I start giving the animals stuff, IE, on slow days/updates."

As a side note, there are games where you can get a pig. It hunts truffles, because of Toma02's explanation. The most living a thing you can eat is fish.

Maria blushes if she picks up that sort of romance, much less reads it. Popsi's ditzy and childish, but grew up with her mother, who is very flirty (by the town's standards) and expressive -- and so probably learned some innuendos. Elli likes Fox too much to consider him a perv, and didn't think a whole discussion would do any good. Karen probably also thought it was dumb, but more because she doesn't see the point of ganging up on a guy for seeing an innuendo -- Karen's just more inclined to laugh off or yell at something she thinks is dumb. Ann is easily flustered and excitable. All of them see Fox as a friend.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

14. - Top - End - #194

I think I got a handle on what Fox might be like from his big city days to try a bit of writing too.

In the mail today, Fox found this letter that had been typed out.

Dear Fox,

do you have ANY IDEA how much trouble it was to track you down? If you hadn't told me that you were going to your grandpa's funeral, I'd STILL be looking. Your dad was certainly no help. When I asked him he just mumbled something about you going off to fail on someone elses dime for once.

God, he is such a jagoff. So, I take it that your move out to the boonies is some sort of independence thing you got going, right?

Fox, I know you've been looking for some way to get out of his thumb, and have been for years, but at LEAST TELL ME ABOUT IT! You've been gone since the end of winter and you didn't think to send any word to your best friend? That's a pretty **** move, man. Bar hopping isn't the same without my drinking buddy either.

On the subject of bar hopping, Mel says hi. Jane too. Also Kelly, Deb, Christy and Teyla. Oh yea, and the twins! Oh man, those two are as wild as ever and I can't handle them on my own. I need my wingman back. I know, I know, you need to find some sort of work that's more suitable then a desk jockey but do you HAVE to go out to some little hick town to find it? How can you give up the WOMEN? Do they even have any cute girls out there that might seem interested in your sorry ass? Cause, man, while you may have been Mr. Popularity in the city, boony girls take an entirely different skill set.

I'm told you don't even have a phone anymore but I'm still expecting to hear about what the heck you are doing out there. Cause I have NO IDEA what is going on with ya. All I know is that you're in your grandpa's house and that you are dirt poor. I bet you haven't even been able to buy a single decent drink since you got out that. Am I right? So write back and tell me what's up. I'm dying here man. I need some info.

Your friend,
    Tom
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-08-14 at 09:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

Dear Tom,

It's complicated, alright? Anyway, it's not my fault you did your annual 'throw your answering machine out of your apartment window in a New Year's Drunken Bender' thing! I left a message in the vain and foolish hope...That you'd not smash stuff for a change! I mean, gods and goddesses, man!

...Also, there are some cute girls here. But you're totally right. It's totally hopeless for me... Though I see some girls every now and again that may be a bit quicker on the uptake.
    But they're really nice. I dunno. They're cool. Better than nothing, you know?

And hey, who are you, trying to tell me how to live, huh? It's not perfect (you're right about the drink thing), but... Sometimes a man has to do a thing because it feels right to him, not because it's convenient or even because it's fun. Or even if it cheeses off a certain man strangled by his necktie (only in my dreams, I guess).... You ever had a dream, man? Not like a sleeping dream, or a fantasy, but something you really wanted in your bones? I never did. Shoot, I'm not even sure what I'm saying.
    We'll see how it all turns out. Wish me luck. Even if I don't stay here...I need this to work.

Give everyone my love, or failing that, my lust. Oh, and now that I'm at it... The next time Richard in accounting drapes his arm around anyone and starts talking like they're best buddies and that sort of stuff... Punch him.

I'll write more often, though. I do miss my buddy.

- Fox

((I retain the rights to declare this conversation canon or not, but everything Fox said is something Fox would say. I do not garuntee it would be honest.
    Also, sorry for the delays in most of my projects; just been sort of worn-out))
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-14 at 11:06 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

16. - Top - End - #196

To be perfectly honest. When I wrote that, it never crossed my mind that you would consider it cannon, Deme. I just thought it would be a fun variation on the "ask the characters a question" thing you had going. Much like my idea for a roundtable discussion.

The problem with the letter being cannon is that it means that anything I write about a character can potentially become cannon. For instance, I decided that Fox was a ladies man back in the city. That was my impression of him but it might not have been how you envisioned it.

Some writers don't like to give up control and that is fine. I got no problem with the letters being non-cannon. However, if you like this idea and would like to make it cannon. Just send me a pm if anything is out of line with how I portray a character and I will gladly change it. That should mitigate any potential problems.

You seem amiable to this idea so I'll write another letter in awhile. Maybe after you make the next story post.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-08-15 at 09:00 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

I never said it was canon; right now, it's sort of the schrodinger's cat of letters. If I need Fox to have had a buddy in the city with whom he can air his troubles, suddenly it's canon. If I turn around and say that he never had a good friend, then suddenly it's not. It floats in its own space until I need to accept or deny it. But I thought it may be a good idea to say that I think it could be -- because hey, I may need such a thing to exist, and if I do, It'll be easy because someone's already done the hard parts (inventing a dude and some letters) for me.

On the other hand, your impression that Fox was a ladies' man was correct, as were most of your other impressions: I think it's been implied strongly, if not outright stated, that Fox was something of a ladies' man and a pick-up artist, with a string of casual and semi-casual hookups, full of pleasure and relatively regretless, but practically devoid real love (The times there was even a sliver of real love is when they were not regretless, if you enjoy that sort of irony). That last part may not be strongly implied, but it will become so as Fox gets various young ladies closer.

Edit:
    Soooo...Yesterday I played maybe 60% of an update. Two full days of gameplay, all written and screenshotted and played. We got a cow.
    I come up this morning and find that my desktop resetted in the night. And it turns out I forgot to save my file.

Hear that noise? That is the sound of ultimate suffering.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-16 at 10:29 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Chapter 13: Rainy Days are Here Again
    Spoiler
    Show

Summer - 4 - xxx1
    I decided to meet with the Goddess today.

"Yeah, I had a bit of a question, actually."
    "Oooh? Come seeking the divine oracle? I'm flattered <3"
    "Do you have an actual name?"
    "Ah, well! That is.... Hmph. That's a very personal question."
    "That a no?"
    "...It's one humans don't get the answer to. I'm not a human being. I didn't have parents to bring me up -- I'm the mountain and the water and the earth beneath your feet. I am wind and lightning and my soul is open to the sky. ...Someone like me doesn't have a name -- she just has a lot of by-names, things people call her to call her something, to...bring her closer to their world, like giving her a blue gown."
    She sounds triumphant, with her face up and her chest out and the sun framing her like a halo (probably by design)...But her eyes looked a little sad.
    Well, it's not in me to let a lady be sad.
    "So, if I wanted to bring me closer to your world, what do I call you?"
    "Hah. Silly boy... Call me what you wish, and never look back <3."
    "Alright. Harvest Goddess will do, I guess."
    "Oh, yes! I sort of nudged Maria over here the other day. Veeeeeerrry nice."
    "It's not like that."
    "Oh? Is there someone else? Who is it?"
    I sigh and shake my head.
    "No, it's just... She's...Not the sort of girl I go in for. No one here is. I don't know what they want...And I'm not the sort of guy who can give a girl whatever it is."

My 'relationships' are simple. I've never wanted to give anyone forever, and as long as they don't ask it of me, everythings fine. If I went after someone innocent, like Maria, or sweet, like Popuri, or honest like Ann, or homey like Elli, or conflicted like Karen...
    I'd just hurt them. I don't want to do that.

"Y-you need someone! Love's a connection...That roots a person better than any other," She says with a pout. It takes me a second to process what she means.
    "I'm not dating someone just because you want me to stay here!"
    "Well eeeexxxcccccuuuuse me for liking your company." She pouts, which just...Annoys me more.
    "If you actually enjoyed me, instead of just liking having someone pay you worshipping attention, you'd not ask me to do stuff I don't want to. Just. To Satisfy. You."
    "Hmph! Well, fine! I'll just find a new cute worshipper!"

I admit, I could have handled that with more grace. Yeah.

Anyway...Most of the day really happens without incident, until I'm home.

That's not the sweet, lilting voice of a lady. When a guy interrupts my day, it's a lot less cute.

Oh, it's Cliff...Well, he gave me food, so I guess that's an exception I am willing to make.
    Also, he's a bro.

"So I brought some for you."
    "Thanks, man! The last one you brought me was great."
    "Yeah, well, I'm hoping no one knocks me down this time."
    "Well, just look where you're going; my lawn's a happening place. All the cool kids come here."
    He chuckles as I wolf it down.

"But man, you must catch a lot of a fish, to feed me, Cain, and you."
    "It's not that hard to do."
    You lie. I'm lucky to get *a* fish.
    "I mean, I literally have nothing better to do. It's a peaceful life, and this is a good place for it."
    "Yeah... I'll have to give you something sometimes, to make things even. I hate being too indebted."
    He shrugs, like 'suit yourself.'

"See ya."

I head into the chicken coop and see...

We got a baby chicken!
    I think I'll call him "Billy."

I headed to the bar for the evening.
    "Hey, Karen...I got a bottle of this. Bartender said your Grandma made it. Is it any good?"
    I'm really just fishing for more knowledge.
    "I've never had any, but..."

"Why is our wine so different, even though we're using the same grapes?"
    Huh.
    "Are they the same?"
    "What? Of course they..." She appears to think about this, and get what I'm getting at. "You think maybe something's changing them, even with the same plants?"

I shrug.
    "Or something's changing your process without you realizing. If you're doing everything the same and not getting the same results, then either wine cares not for consistancy, and thus thinking about what to do is worthless... Or there's factors being overlooked. That's science, right?"
    "We're a vineyard, not a lab!...But maybe I should look at our barrells..."
    "Good luck."

"Enjoying some company? The bar's a good place for it."
    "Heh. You don't need to tell me."
    "...Not quite what I meant. It's a good place to talk to anyone."

"...Sides of people you don't see during the day."
    "What, you think the drinks make people honest?"
    "Maybe. But more, I think it's the quiet of the night. They let themselves down to it, little by little....If you've got someone you're not sure of, the bar's a good place to clear the air."

I slide over and look. Basil's sitting there over by the entrance...I've sort of never been sure about him...
    So I guess I should almost ask.

"Hey, Mr. Basil... Say, what do you do on those trips of yours, anyway?"
    "I travel, but not the way most people do it: I spend more time in mountains or jungles than in famous cities. But I look for plants, and bring home any seeds I think will grow, and write papers on the rest while I'm hear...
    But I'll tell you...The most precious flowers are the ones I have here."

"In your life?"
    "No, I'm not really... The sort of guy who plant perrinials."
    "A pity...You need to start thinking about cultivating relationships..."
    "..."
    I don't know what to think about that.
    "...Just be careful. You might end up breaking Popsi's heart, and then I think I'd have to get a little rough."
    "Y-yessir!"

But...I feel good, walking home. I was wrong. I believe it. I think he meant it when he said Lillia and Popuri were his most precious. Love won out over base cynicism. Hooray!

I glance at my funds and realize...

I CAN AFFORD A COW!

Summer - 5 - xxx1

Rain tommorow. Bummer.

Apparently Cliff was thinking about his life from yesterday, because when I talk to him, he says,

"Eh, it's not that..."
    Ok, I lie. I work pretty hard.
    "I think anyone can do it, though. I'm kind of a natural slacker."
    "Nah, I couldn't. And it's not because I'm lazy...I just don't like really investing myself into something anymore; I like being able to come and go without loss... But I'm impressed by you doing otherwise. That's all."
    Hmmmm....

Anyway, I find Maria in the mountain, too. In the Goddess's glade. Was she calling her again?
    "I'm surprised you're out here today."
    She smiles.
    "Visiting this part of the mountain..."

"It's really inspiring, and I think my drawings are getting better, too."
    "Will you show me one sometime?"
    She clutches her sketchbook to her chest.
    "M-m-maybe next time...B-but not this one....I-i-i-it's personal."
    "Oh? Can you at least tell me what it's of?"
    She blushes very hard.
    "T-tommorow, I'll...I'll bring some landscapes. You can see, if you want."
    "Alright...I promise I'll be nice, OK? Your drawings are probably awesome."
    She nods shyly.

"Then being in the bakery makes sense. What are you getting?"
    "Well, I was thinking of getting some thumbprint cookies...Do you think she could make them from real thumbprints? I mean, I know you can lift thumbprints, but I thought the powder you'd use wouldn't bake well..."
    "...No, I think it'd burn. Or melt or something."
    "Yeah. But it'd be interesting, to make everything literal like that...Or do you think it'd be limiting, to not have things that mean more than they mean?"
    "Limiting. Definately: when you put different things together, you can get...Really neat results."
    Like putting a sweet flower girl and an eccentric thinker in the same body.
    "Yeah, I think you're right."

"It'll rain tommorow, so that'll cool everything down."
    "Aaah, you're right.... Be careful you don't get a cold. It's my job to watch out for you, with your father in the city and your grandpappy in heaven..."
    "I don't need someone to watch out for me. I'm not a kid."
    "Everyone needs someone to watch out for them."
    "Alright, then...Thanks."

Now, to business. If I want a cow, I'll need some cow feed.

Which means paying for the two I can afford. I'll shop for more tommorow, when there's money in...And I'll have my grass soon.

Now, for cow!
    "I'm here to buy an animal!"

"Really? Thank you!"
    "It's not much, but it'll make things easier. You're starting out, so it's just good business to help."

"Because all the salt in the rivers is carried to here, and it doesn't evaporate back up, so it stays in the ocean forever."
    "Thanks, bro! The Parson couldn't answer that, so he told me to go ask people."
    "It's not a bad way to learn things, Stu."
    But maybe not the best way to teach, though....

"Was that a philosophical question, or a scientific one?"
    "I dunno. Would there be a different answer?"
    "Well, I guess the waves come from a lot of things, scientifically. The ocean and the moon and the wind. Is that what you were asking?"
    "So where does the wind come from?"
    "I'm not sure. How about you look it up in the library when it opens?"
    Not that I'm much better, I guess.

My barn is not a shack! I mean, sure, the walls have a few holes, and there's maybe a bit of a leak in the ceiling and I wouldn't trust bits of the floor very far, but...
    It's a fine building!

It's short for Clarabella.

But it looks like I have a visitor before I can see her.

"You made something?"
    "D-don't look so surprised! I can cook if I want to!"
    "I thought you said you could only cook mashed potatoes."
    "W-well...It's not good living without ever improving yourself. So I learned to make something new..."

She does not fill me with confidence...But she's supported me every step of this crazy way, and I bet I don't fill with confidence, either.
    "Yeah, alright."

They are rather misshappen...And the rice isn't quite right, so it's falling apart more than you'd expect...

But when I taste them, I can picture Ann pressing the rice together, her hands red from the heat and her face scrunched up in determination...
    So that I could taste some riceballs.
    They're not that bad.
    "They're pretty good, Ann."
    "You really like them? Ha...W-well, at least the taste-testing got done by somebody."
    "Well, Good luck for next time."
    "That's my line!"

You know, if Cliff had shown up today or Ann yesterday...
    They would have run in to each other again.

Anyway, up to meet my cow!

"Hey there, girl...You and I are partners now, alright? Like, buddies.... So let's try and get along and not have you trample me to death."

I give her a good brushing and some food....

And move in my chickens to prepare for tommorow's rainy day.

But I'm wondering...With the goddess in a snit about me, I wonder if...

Yeah, there's still a music box. I wonder if it's the last one? I guess it depends on when they get put here...

Summer - 6 - xxx1

"Oh, morning, Ann."
    "Oh, good. You're not laid up by that thing that's got, like, half the girls in town laid up."
    "They're sick?"
    "Yeah. And you're so nosy, I was sure you'd have gotten sick...B-but that's not why I came, alright?!"
    "Then why did you come?"
    "W-welll...I wanted to...Check on your horse!"

"I'm...Trying."
    "Well keep trying hard, alright! As long as you're devoted, even if you're not experienced, he'll respond to your feelings!"
    "Alright, Alright... Thanks for checking up on me, Ann."

I go up to the mountains, but it occurs to me that if people are sick, they won't be here...Most of the girls I know would be at home...

Which for Karen means... The Vineyard.

This is my first time going to her house...But I am worried. So I'll head in and introduce myself to her mom, I suppose.

The moment I enter, I'm greeting by...A certain vibe. Like...Have you ever smelled despair? That one annoying guy at work, the one who always gets a little touchy-feely on you like you're buddies, once said that he knew despair had a smell. Depsair. Getting stuck in your life.
    It's a sort of sour smell, taking on the qualities of dust and bad wine, and the faint smell of rotting flowers. It's the smell of my life, practically, but here it's so strong I could choke.
    The whole air just pulls me down.

"Oh...Blue hat...White gloves... Are you Fox?" Asks the thin lady who greets me when I come in. She's very pretty, with a gentle and lonely look to her, like a waning moon.
    "That's right, ma'am." She smiles at that, making her face look a little less downcast.

"Of course. I actually came by because I heard there was something going around, and wanted to make sure she was OK."
    She nods.

I walk up the stairs... And into Karen's room.

It's not as girly as I expected it, and it's relatively mild, too. Karen sits up when she sees me, and tries to pull the covers up over her white camisol.
    "Did my mom let you in?"
    "Yeah. She said you weren't well."
    "This is kind of emberassing...My mom...I know she's just doing her best, but..."

"I mean...I haven't even washed my face. I'm a total wreck."
    "Oh, come on... Sure, you're not as put-together as you usually are... But a girl with your natural good looks doesn't need much."
    I mean it...But it takes me a moment to realize I *mean* it. The room smells like her, with a warm tang of her sweat and a strawberry shampoo...
    She flushes even more, and doesn't seem to know what to say to that....Actually, neither do I, so I look around.

"It's a nice room, though. It's, like, the size of my house."
    "Ha. Yeah, I guess it is pretty big." She laughs, but not mockingly.
    But she does have a few things laid out, and I go look at them.

Is this some sort of charm?

"M-my parents...Collected them for me when I was little. It's...It's private!"
    "Alright, Alright, sorry..."

"Sorry, sorry..."
    "Quit apologizing...It's alright. It's just got me nervous, is all...I dunno; I...Other than Ann, I don't really... Have anyone up here."
    "I see...So am I the first man in your bedroom?"
    "...That's..."
    I laugh.
    "Ok, ok, I'll hold all questions to the end of the tour."
    I keep looking around some anyway.
    "This your dresser? Does it have your undeeerrweeeaaaar?" I can't help but notice that when I give her something to fuss at me over, she's livelier. Perversion-based healing powers, activate!

"Get over here, you."
    She laughs, until it turns into a cough.
    "Sorry, Karen..."
    "I bet you're much smoother with city girls."
    "...Kind of."
    "Otherwise, they'd have run you out of town!"
    "That's cold. I'm a people-pleaser in *all* my interaction, I'll have you know."[/color]
    She snickers. I really do think she's looking better...

"Yeah, I probably should be moving along."

And, as I head down the stairs, she adds...
    "No matter what I'm feeling, I feel better when I see you, you know that?"
    "I'm glad I can do that."

I sigh contentedly as I head down the stairs. Karen's mother is by the stairs.
    "Thank you for letting me visit."
    "It's no trouble...It's..."

"Pleasure's mine."

I check on Popuri (fine) and Elli (Bakery's closed, duh)....
    And head to Maria's place to see if she's ok.

She is apparently not.

"Oh, of course I will. I didn't come here just to get out of the rain."

Maria's room is a lot busier...But mostly, it's busy with books. She's got a painting or two -- not professional-looking, but with delicacy -- on the walls...
    "Hey, Maria. I heard you weren't feeling well."
    She shyly puts her glasses on. In a white nightgown, she has more of a feeling of a fragile little flower...It's a girlier looking room... But not by much.

"But...I-I'm glad you did..."
    "Think nothing of it...But I bet you keep yourself pretty entertained in bed."
    I gesture to the books piled on the end table.

"The Alchemist?"
    "It's a sort of fable, about...Following your true wishes, in spite of the things that hold you down."
    "Like fear of failure?"
    "A-and all sorts of other fears...And maybe even love."
    "Do you think love holds you back?"

"W-well, I think...That sometimes I'm afraid...Of upsetting people I love, so...I understand that sort of thing. It's...What I admire about you."
    "About me?"
    The blush that started as a fever-flush in her ears spreads outward down to the rest of her face.
    "Y-yeah. I mean, you're not worried...That your dad is mad at you for going here, right?"
    "You know about that?"
    "M-my dad said your dad and you were fighting and OhI'msosorryhewaseavesdroppingandI'msorryIknowthat 'sprobablyreallyperso- *cough**cough*"
    "Relax. Relax. It's alright -- it's no secret of mine that my dad and I don't get along...To be honest, I think I kind of want him mad."
    "I-I could never do that..."
    "Eh, don't say that. I mean, you probably would never have a reason to want your folks mad... But don't write yourself off. You never know what you can do until it's done, right?"
    "I hope so...Ummm...Please, look around, if you like."

Little figures and ect. It's the sort of stuff you expect in a girl's room, but maybe not the stuff you'd imagine from a woman's.

And I find...A battered-looking blue notebook at the foot of the bed. Maria protests the moment I pick it up.

"Book I'm writing...I-it's not v-very good...Or...Welll...I don't really...Know how it is yet, so I'm..."

"Maria...I'm sure it'll be great. But...I won't make you let me read it, even though I'm sure it's interesting. What's it about?"
    "W-well...It's about a little ladybug. It was about...H-how she wanted to dance for all the creatures of the forest...And her overcoming her fear to do that."
    "It's not about that anymore?"
    "I...'m not sure. I'm kind of thinking...Of keeping her goal the same...But maybe introducing a new character..."
    "Hmmm...That might help. I can't wait to read it."

She looks at me in silence, staring at the side of my head as I put the book down. Then she looks down and asks...
    "W-would you...Like to see some of my concept sketches for the new character?"

I nod.
    "Of course."
    Her face brightens and she reaches into her nightstand for a sketchbook. Maria breathes in deeply as she motions for me to come and look at the world she's drawn...

The drawings are nice, mixing between a more realistic style, and something simple, stylized for kids. The characters she had drawn were animals -- a monkey, or a bird... Or a fox with a relaxed smile and a sort of knowing look about his eyes.
    It's the fox that she's drawn the most in the bits I get to see -- from a few angles, with a few expressions, or little bits; here a neckerchief, here a small hat, here a stubborn cowlick in the front...
    "T-they're just rough, don't judge them too much..."
    "I really like them. They're adorable."
    She nods, hiding her face away in her hands.
    "Thanks...Y-you're the first person I've shown these designs, so I'm glad you like them."
    "Yeah, but you know what? That I like them is totally worthless. I give you permission to only regard my opinion when you want to, and not just because you want to please me. I'm a shmuck."
    She laughs.
    "Thank you, but you know that's not true. You're...Really special to me."
    "Ok, not a shmuck. But...You know...What I mean."

Cheeks warm like I'm 16. Heart beating fast...I think...I think I'm blushing.
    "Are you feeling OK? Please don't stress yourself on my account."
    "Y-yeah...I think I better be heading home."

Come on, you doof! She doesn't mean it like that!

Anyway, I go through the rest of my day in relative peace...

Buy more feed for everyone...

Brush down Agro and Clara, feed the chickens...

Destroy every stump on the mountain, etc...
    And head off to bed.

Women. Just when I think I get them, I've got to admit...
    I don't know jack.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-19 at 07:22 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Nothing to get the creative juices flowing like an annoying setback, huh? Great chapter as always.

20. - Top - End - #200

Oooh, hold on now, Deme. The author/reader contract clearly states that all names that are not pre-written down are picked by fan votes. Besides, Goddess is what she is, not a name. Like calling Fox, Man.

Therefore, I propose naming her... Harvest Moon!
    Seems a good opportunity to use the title of the game, maybe?

Anywho, Miss Moon can get surprsingly snippy. I expected a bit better people skills from someone who is likely thousands of years old. Fox left his dad in order to escape his controlling ways. Telling Fox that he needs to marry just like that strikes me as something Fox's dad would also have tried. Could be wrong but I can imagine that father trying to arrange dates with "respectable" women from high class families.

Also, saying that she will find a new cute follower is an obvious lie. If there was anyone else in town that could be her follower, she would have gotten their help by now. I'd have liked Fox to call her out for that particular statement. Bad form Miss Harvest Moon, bad form.

My favorite bit was Ann again. Who knew she could bake something other then mashed potatoes? Then she comes again the next day to check up on Fox's HORSE! Suure, Ann. :P

The sick scenes were a surprise. Interesting too. Last HM game I played was Tree of Tranquillity (god, so many loading screens for a game without really high end graphics) and it's weird but I think this game has a lot more characterization of the girls then that game did. I don't understand why that would be. The people interactions are the primary story, in my mind. It's all about building relationships, right?

What causes the sickness anyway? You just need to get a girl to green heart and wait for rain? I assume we will get a scene for all the girls? I like how you saved meeting the mother until this point. We have heard quite a lot about how the mother is depressed and this scene really gets it home that, yep, she is not a happy wife. She's the most depressed looking person I have met so far in this game.

Good job! Another fun read.

PS. I was thinking about your getting 2 days worth of game erased and that gave me a story idea. Since the last time I had an awesome idea you said you couldn't use it because it was spoiled, I will put it in spoiler quotes this time.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It might be fun to have Fox have to redo a day, over and over again. Just keep resetting to the previous day and he is stuck in an eternal loop until he can figure out why (possibly because the Miss Moon was bored?) and move on. I think it could be fun to have an entire update consist of doing the same day (or two days, heh) multiple times.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2012-08-20 at 05:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

I am kind of really enjoying Ann. Sorry, the rest of the ladies, but she's surprised me more than anyone else so far, so I'm most pleased. XD

Also, it's because they totally do get less. I don't know why, but none of the games can really compete with 64 for character-driven content in my opinion. I'd like to say it's nostalgia goggles, but I really only discovered this playing it as an adult. I'd love to work out why -- more focus on "storyline" or content like recipes or different crops taking up focus? I dunno, but I sort of get my hopes up for every game that maybe it'll be as to-the-bone heartfelt and full as 64, and it doesn't happen every game. Fingers crossed for Land of Beginning.

Of course, the fact that I'm adding some stuff helps, I'd like to think... But there's stuff that the timing may just be off on that I won't get to show (rival scenes that require certain affection levels at certain seasons, but when certain parties aren't married, for example), which makes me just a bit sad.... But oh well.

As for the sickness scenes...Every girl has one, and I'll try to ensure we see them, even if I have to mess with weather to do it. It's a bit more complicated than "green heart + rain," or we'd have seen Popuri's. According to my sources, It's a specific affection value in about the middle of the green heart (or above), on a snowy or rainy day...With some other time-based conditions, too. With Ann's, it needs to be on a Sunday for some bizzare reason. Maria's has to be done when the library is closed (which means monday, or this handy stretch of time). I think Popuri and Elli just need their homes to be open. I forget what Karen's needs, but whatever this combo was works.

This does let us know a few things about our progress that hearts alone won't do, but I'll put it in spoilers in case people don't want too much behind-the-scenes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maria and Karen are both at at least 130+ affection points (it takes 120 to trigger, and the scene's worth an impressive +10 points.) Popuri was at somewhere between 104-120. Ann just hit 80 during the chapter. Elli's got no indicator one way or another (except that we might be in some trouble with her if I don't move it), but she's still somewhere between 80 and about 100. This worries me.
    Last edited by Deme; 2012-08-20 at 06:41 PM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you check RAM addresses to get the exact values of affection?

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

I do not; I wouldn't even know how.
    But other people have, and have posted their findings on gamefaqs, which is the place whence my numbers come. Which is why mine are rough estimates at best, because I'm tracing them via what the affection levels trigger.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

What emulator are you using? I could probably figure out the memory addresses and tell you how to look them up. Of course you'll have to avoid the temptation of altering the values.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Project 64, naturally.

So, here's a random vote, for my own satisfaction: Let's pretend that, for whatever reason, we could marry any girl we want right now, and we were going to do so. Who would it be, and why? And who would you be most unhappy with, and why?
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    Project 64, naturally.

So, here's a random vote, for my own satisfaction: Let's pretend that, for whatever reason, we could marry any girl we want right now, and we were going to do so. Who would it be, and why? And who would you be most unhappy with, and why?
    I'll give you rankings instead of just first and last.

1st: Elli. She is, well, wife material. Admittedly somewhat boring, yet a certain strength of character shines through. Lastly, this may be colored by the fact that I played Friends of mineral town, but she seems most likely to be receptive to International Woman's Day Promise X (google it if you're not familiar).

2nd/3rd tie: Maria and Ann. They're both cute, but in completely different ways. One's very bookish and shy, while the other is outgoing and tomboyish. They're both dorks, and dorks are awesome.

4th: Karen. Doesn't interest me too much personally. Storywise, both she and Fox have Daddy issues. Sure, that gives them a topic to bond over and makes for good plot and characterization, but having the same problem is a terrible foundation for a relationship because neither of them are in a position to help the other heal from that issue. Also, in FoMT she's pretty much an alcoholic.

5th: Popuri. I don't even know how to express my dislike of this character. She creeps me out.
    Last edited by fizzmaister; 2012-08-21 at 01:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Karen, only because she was the one that got away when I first tried to play the game.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Maria has always been my favorite. She seems the most feminine to me, and I happen to like darker-colored hair and eyes, so she appeals to me most physically, too Nerds are cute, and Maria is just adorable.

From a powergaming standpoint I believe Ann is the best, since she can feed your cows and sheep for you.

I least like Popuri. She's sort of like bubblegum - it might seem good at first, but pretty quickly you'll exhaust all the flavor it has, and then it's just a chore to keep around. She also doesn't do any animal-related stuff for you as a wife, and you should hopefully have a greenhouse by the time you get married, so she just doesn't do anything significant, either.

Elli and Karen I just sort of don't have an opinion on. I guess that's probably a bad thing

29. - Top - End - #209

I have to preface this by saying that you've done a great job of giving Fox's relationship with each of the girls a very natural, organic feel, and this is honestly difficult because I want to see how each one continues to develop as we go along.

1- Maria- Putting aside my thoughts that Maria is adorable, I think she meshes very well with Fox, because her pensive, introspective nature brings out some of those same qualities in Fox, which we rearely get to see since he's always rushing around. I feel like Fox is able to appreciate Maria's personality and style, and coax her out of her shell a bit without being overbearing, and I feel like Maria's quasi-academic, meticulous take on things would be good for Fox in the long term.

2- Karen- Mutual daddy issues may not be he most stable thing on which to build a relationship, but I think both of them being essentially children of two worlds might be. Karen wants to see new things and not feel like she's stuck in one place that never changes, but I think that she'd not actually enjoy the anonymity of the city, while Fox, for all his railing against his workaholic, straight-laced father, brings an urban pragmatism and a desire to do and something to prove that is otherwise lacking in town, and that Karen appreciates. Karen, for her part, is a lot more cynical and realistic than the other girls, which I think appeals to Fox, since it's something like what he's used to and it's less like he's a bandit in a flower bed than with Elli or Popuri, for example. This isn't saying much, since most of the others are very innocent, and Karen still has enough idealism not quite smashed out to make her a great choice.

3- Ann- Combine for ultimate energy! I like Ann, she's got a touch of tsundere tomboy that doesn't detract from her enthusiasm, Both she and Fox have a bit of an impetuous streak, which could work out well/entertainingly

4- Popuri- I really like your Popuri (she reminds me a bit of Aster from your Sims LP) since you've mixed her bubblegum well with a lot of charming idiosyncrasy I think Fox uniquely appreciates her um, individual perspective, and his connection with the land gives them something in common to develop around. I would also be terribly amused by Popuri's interactions with Fox's dad. Still, she might be a little too bright and innocent for things to really work out best.

5-Elli- Elli's interests seem the most narrow of all the girls, and I imagine she'd be sort of a traditional housewife. I'm sure she and Fox could be great friends, but I don't really see a uniquely compelling relationship between them
    This Minase Iori avatar is a masterwork by Qwernt

DS Friend Code for Pokemon Trades and such. 1549 7971 5718

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Don't worry; this isn't a real choice. This is more me getting a feel for what works and so on -- what seems to be hitting people's spots, and who needs a bit more love from me. I won't be taking love away from anyone, just trying to pad things out. So saying "This is a difficult choice" is also good to know, XD

...Also, I admit it: my Popuri has little to do with actual Popuri. I'd like to try and bring the two closer together, but...I really don't remember much to build off of, from any of my playthroughs. Part of this may be that the scenes my cartridge won't play include some Popuri scenes, so there are bits of the PopurixPC relationship I haven't seen in about a decade.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)