New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default OotS to appear in "Gygax Magazine"

So... word has leaked about a new quarterly magazine coming in December named Gygax Magazine. Ernie and Luke Gygax are on board, and the company that's publishing it has acquired the TSR trademark. While all that is interesting, I found this comment from the art director especially interesting:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wampler
    Art Editor for Gygax Magazine here... and I can say that we have some awesome new talent as well as some gaming greats contributing to the art in the premiere issue - including Phil Foglio's What's New with Phil & Dixie and and [sic] Rich Burlew's Order of the Stick. It's a privilege to be working in such august company.
    (emphasis added by me) (source)

So... looks like OotS is back in print, similar to what was going on at Dragon 5 years ago? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Zherog; 2012-11-21 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling is important...
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OotS to appear in "Gygax Magazine"

Interesting... don't know what to make of it. I guess if it is true we'll probably hear something from Rich about it at some point? He probably isn't working on new strips due to the state of his hand, so they must be reprinting some old ones?
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

You should wait for Rich to announce the details, but I can tell you that it's not a hoax, it's not an imaginary tale, and it's not a reprint...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I certainly didn't think it was a hoax. My hunch would be "out of timeline" strips like what used to be in Dragon magazine before WotC killed it. Further, I would suspect that Rich had at least the first one in the bag already before the hand injury.

Just thought it was interesting enough to share...
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

actually, they said that rich will be "contributing", not that oots will appear. maybe he'll draw something else. and not before the hand is healed anyway
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, KoN, I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wampler, edited
    we have ... some gaming greats contributing to the art in the premiere issue - including ... Rich Burlew's Order of the Stick.
    That doesn't say "something by Order of the Stick writer Rich Burlew." It says, specifically, Order of the Stick.

I'm always interested in Rich's work; I liked 5-foot Steps that appeared in the WotC magazine whose name escapes me; I liked non-canon OotS in Dragon. I suspect that whatever this is (more non-cannon OotS, something else), I'll also enjoy it. Rich is a strong story-teller with a sharp sense of humor - two qualities I like in authors. :)
    John Ling

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For the enjoying it I agree, whether it is oots or anything else
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

It says "Premiere Issue", however, not "regular feature". So, it might all just be for one issue.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Huh, I didn't know they had announced this.

Yes, OOTS will be in the new magazine. The first strip was completed over the summer, but the subsequent strips haven't been done yet (so there might not be one in issue #2, depending on the deadline).

The comics will pick up the "Dragon Continuity" for OOTS, which started with Dragon Magazine then continued through the "Invaders From the Fourth Edition" story in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales. So, expect loosely-linked stand-alone strips with an emphasis on jokes over plot.

I'll probably make a more official announcement next week.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post

Yes, OOTS will be in the new magazine. The first strip was completed over the summer, but the subsequent strips haven't been done yet (so there might not be one in issue #2, depending on the deadline).

The comics will pick up the "Dragon Continuity" for OOTS, which started with Dragon Magazine then continued through the "Invaders From the Fourth Edition" story in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales. So, expect loosely-linked stand-alone strips with an emphasis on jokes over plot.

Do you think a possibility exists for these to be available in book format some time in the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

It's way too early to speculate on that. The magazine is quarterly, so it will take several years before there will even be enough strips to qualify as a meaningful chunk of content.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Very nice to see your face (well, you know) around these parts! Thanks for the update; OotS is just one more reason to check this new endeavor out.
    John Ling

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I signed up on gygaxmagazine.com for notifications. Gygax Magazine has sent me an email message with a list of the first issue's contents, including of course OotS.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post

Is Gygax Magazine still happening? I haven't seen any reviews of it, there website asks me to give it my e-mail before it will let me do anything and Rich has said nothing about it. Is there some sort of backstage drama between Rich and TSR we don't know about?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

What would Rich's relationship with a company that ceased trading over a decade ago have to do with whether a magazine is released or not? Gygax Magazine isn't Rich's own personal project, it just happens to have some of his content in it--I'm sure they could release it without the strip if there was any problem with WotC, and Rich's own OotS books (specifically, Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails) would be the first target in such a case, surely?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Is Gygax Magazine still happening?
    Starting on roughly Christmas Eve, Gygax Magazine started tweeting frequently. So yes, it seems as if they are building up to an announcement about how to purchase the debut issue and how to subscribe.

https://twitter.com/GygaxMagazine

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    Starting on roughly Christmas Eve, Gygax Magazine started tweeting frequently. So yes, it seems as if they are building up to an announcement about how to purchase the debut issue and how to subscribe.

https://twitter.com/GygaxMagazine
    They've now made the announcement that the first issue will be released on January 26th at 2 pm EST.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

So... as someone who has no idea how these things normally work... how do I go about acquiring the first issue?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    So... as someone who has no idea how these things normally work... how do I go about acquiring the first issue?
    From gygaxmagazine.com:

"Online ordering and subscriptions will be available on the day of the unboxing event.

If you’re on our mailing list, you will be guaranteed a copy if you order within three days of the unboxing.

You can join our mailing list below."

Then it has a place to fill in your name and email address.

To acquire the first issue, it appears that it will suffice to join the mailing list, and then order online on January 26th, after 2 pm EST.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks

21. - Top - End - #21

SwashbucklerGuy

biggrin OOTS in Gygax Magazine!?! Yay!

After waffling for a couple days on whether to buy a copy of issue 1 of the new Gygax Magazine, I finally broke down and ordered the pdf off DriveThruRPG.

I was looking through the table of contents, when much to my delighted surprise, I saw "The Order of the Stick" listed on the last page!

Needless to say, I quickly skipped the rest of the entire magazine and went directly to OOTS without passing Go and without collecting $200.

A new story!!! Huzzah!

Has anybody else seen this yet?

Very happy.

You must go get this magazine. Now. Why are you still here? Oh, you need the link? Okay: Gygax Magazine Issue 1

NOW why are you still here?

m

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Daemon

Default Re: OOTS in Gygax Magazine!?! Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by wzeller View Post
    After waffling for a couple days on whether to buy a copy of issue 1 of the new Gygax Magazine, I finally broke down and ordered the pdf off DriveThruRPG.

I was looking through the table of contents, when much to my delighted surprise, I saw "The Order of the Stick" listed on the last page!

Needless to say, I quickly skipped the rest of the entire magazine and went directly to OOTS without passing Go and without collecting $200.

A new story!!! Huzzah!

Has anybody else seen this yet?

Very happy.

You must go get this magazine. Now. Why are you still here? Oh, you need the link? Okay: Gygax Magazine Issue 1

NOW why are you still here?

m
    What happens in it? It can't be that impressive a tale if it hasn't been announced on Kickstarter or the News Page. In fact I don't think Mr B announced it at all (except in the forum).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

How is this published by TSR? They doesn't even exist anymore.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

24. - Top - End - #24

SwashbucklerGuy

How's the story?

Seriously?

It's by The Giant!

Has he ever written a dud? This is the introductory page of whatever he's developing for it, so it isn't great standing on its own, but it's a foregone conclusion that it will become a-MAY-zing!

The correct response isn't "How's the story" - it's "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    What happens in it?
    Just a whole lot of Classic rolled into one comic.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Is this a regular feature, or a special present for the #1 issue?

27. - Top - End - #27

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    How is this published by TSR? They doesn't even exist anymore.
    Au contraire, mon frere!

The name has risen from the ashes like the Phoenix of old....

From the TSR Wikipedia article:
    In November 2012 it was announced that a new company called TSR Games had been formed with majority ownership by Jayson Elliot and with participation by Luke Gygax, E. Gary Gygax Jr., Jim Wampler, and James Carpio. The first announced publication of the new TSR will be a general interest tabletop gaming magazine called Gygax Magazine to be published quarterly beginning in January 2013. Although the new TSR is unconnected in any way with prior incarnations of the company, it does include several former employees and contributors of TSR Hobbies, notably Tim Kask and Phil Foglio.
    I'm thinking that if the Gygax family has mustered the cajones to slap that particular name onto their new venture, then they must have some very (very) interesting plans. The plans could fail to ever see the light of day, but I'm thinking that they've gotta be some amazing plans anyway. Here's hoping for a revivial of the days of yore.

m

28. - Top - End - #28

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SavageWombat View Post
    Is this a regular feature, or a special present for the #1 issue?
    It's impossible to know for certain until the next issue, but Roy does actually use the phrase, "This is a fresh new start, in a new magazine." That, and they are actively seeking an epic quest.

With those two points, it's nearly impossible to imagine that this was just a one-off.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by wzeller View Post
    How's the story?

Seriously?

It's by The Giant!

Has he ever written a dud? This is the introductory page of whatever he's developing for it, so it isn't great standing on its own, but it's a foregone conclusion that it will become a-MAY-zing!

The correct response isn't "How's the story" - it's "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"
    No The Great Mr Burlew has never done so. What I mean is what is the plot of the strip in question? What are they doing?

In answer to everyone elses questions Rich's forum post says that OOTS will be in the magazine every issue but possibly not in No 2 (due to the chance of missing the deadline due to thumb). He also said the strips would be one offs of each other, like in Dragon. Unless something happened between him and TSR and he doesn't want to advertise them. I'd say that it would boost TSR sales immensely if he put his 15,000 backers on the job to buy it (and the millions of other fans). He mentioned Moorland, why not this?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

He made a statement a while ago that it would be a regular feature. However, given that it's a quarterly magazine, that's only 4 a year. It's going to focus on jokes, not a story, just like the one in Dragon Magazine.

I can't find his original announcement.