New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Post Ubisoft to announce OOTS video game?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...adness-at-ars/

Ubisoft

Time: 3:00pm PDT (find out when it starts in your area)
    Live from: Los Angeles
    Primary blogger: Kyle Orland
    Onsite Photos: Andrew Cunningham
    Read for: Expect Ubisoft to keep pushing its thriller Watch Dogs andto release as-yet-unseen footage for games like South Park RPG, Order of the Stick, Rayman Legends, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Like EA, Ubisoft could announce or hint at a console allegiance that could define the coming console wars.
    Have I been living under a rock? Why does Ars "expect" an OOTS game to be announced and I, a rabid OOTS fan, had no idea?

Do we know anything about this? style of game, perhaps? I'm not sure what sort of game would make a good OOTS game... art style is clearly key, though :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ubisoft to announce OOTS video game?

That would be very cool.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Maybe the Ars editor mixed up the sub-title of the Southpark game ('The Stick of Truth') with the name of his favorite webcomic?

But then again, I wouldn't be opposed to a (good!) OotS game.
    Last edited by Armitage; 2013-06-10 at 09:36 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
    Maybe the Ars editor mixed up the sub-title of the Southpark game ('The Stick of Truth') with the name of his favorite webcomic?
    That sounds very plausible... hadn't thought of that. Well at least the press conferences are today, so we won't have long to wait to find out :)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

This would be the surprise of the century.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Daemon

I doubt Rich would be willing to give control of his creation to a big company. He likes having complete control.

Then again, he did say that more than just Moreland have contacted him so...

If it's true there's hope for an OOTS Movie in the 21st century!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage View Post

But then again, I wouldn't be opposed to a (good!) OotS game.
    I'm hoping for a game, but expecting the mistake.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #8
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

No such thing is happening. That's probably a typo of the South Park game's name, The Stick of Truth, or possibly just an out-and-out guess on the part of Ars.

There are currently no plans for an OOTS video game.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

9. - Top - End - #9

I was just like "oh my god, oh my god, oh my god"... And now I'm sad :(
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No such thing is happening. That's probably a typo of the South Park game's name, The Stick of Truth, or possibly just an out-and-out guess on the part of Ars.

There are currently no plans for an OOTS video game.
    Out of curiosity, if you were ever approached for one, would you be willing to entertain the notion, or would you rather not deal with it?

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Out of curiosity, if you were ever approached for one, would you be willing to entertain the notion, or would you rather not deal with it?
    I have been approached no less than 3 times, plus numerous students/amateurs. The professional companies each lost interest at various stages of the initial discussions for reasons that are not entirely clear, and I would rather not deal with the student/amateurs. They're too likely to flake out and quit in the middle because they have finals or something.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

12. - Top - End - #12

I have been approached no less than 3 times, plus numerous students/amateurs. The professional companies each lost interest at various stages of the initial discussions for reasons that are not entirely clear, and I would rather not deal with the student/amateurs. They're too likely to flake out and quit in the middle because they have finals or something.
    Cool to know. Thanks!

13. - Top - End - #13

Too bad they lost interest. Went they far enough to talk about the kind of game they had in mind?

Did they seem to really know what oots was about or were they just looking for a successful name to ride on? Maybe after the KS?

Wouldn't a game about oots need some rights on D&D stuff?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

That's great news! I was assuming you'd be categorically against the idea. I would LOVE an OotS video game, but I expect I'll never see one. Now, though, I have somewhat more hope that it could conceivably happen someday. I can just imagine how difficult it would be to plan such a thing, however.

Every so often after an OotS binge I go on a CRPG bender in a vain attempt to immerse myself in that world, but it's just not the same. Even if it didn't measure up to the comic, I'd definitely take what I could get. At least it would probably scratch my itch better than Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate. Well, here's hoping...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I could see a few ways to go with it.

• Eye of the Beholder style semi-action dungeon crawl
    • Wizardry-style menu-driven dungeon crawl
    • JRPG style although six is an unusual number of characters for that
    • Lost Vikings style puzzle game; take three team members each with their own talents through stages
    • Electronic board game style
    • Even a CCG could probably be done; there's enough material for at least a dozen sets

Those are ideas that try to incorporate most or all of the Order at once, although there's lots of other things that could be done with single characters. A SaGa Frontier style game where they each have their own story which may or may not cross with various other characters, and so forth.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I really would rather Tarquin finally just went all George R. R. Martin on Nale.
    That's right - George R. R. Martin; a writer so ruthless, his name is a verb akin to Samuel L. Jackson. Valar morghulis.

The only thing worse than the usual irrelevant rules pedantry is incorrect irrelevant rules pedantry.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I don't think it will ever happen.
    If they never managed to make a movie of something as big as the wheel of time, that has several dozen millions fans worldwide, then they aren't going to make a videogame of oots, whose fans numbers maybe around half a million as far as I know.

EDIT: They didn't even made a movie of good omens, that has such a huge cult fandom that a movie of it would be seen by a few million people even if it showed nothing but a blank screen. And mistborn, that has the kind of action sequences that would be wonderful for a movie (and also a scene of the female protagonist fighting in underwear; you can't make an action movie without some fanservice ), and several millions fans, has a script but no one wanted to produce it.
    Apparently, "fantasy" in the media industry means tolkien fanfiction movies, and rpg videogames, and nothing else.
    Last edited by King of Nowhere; 2013-06-10 at 01:11 PM.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Apparently, "fantasy" in the media industry means tolkien fanfiction movies, and rpg videogames, and nothing else.
    Or sparkly vampires.

I don't think the movie industry goes so much for quality of the book so much as fervor. Hence Twilight.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    I don't think it will ever happen.
    If they never managed to make a movie of something as big as the wheel of time, that has several dozen millions fans worldwide, then they aren't going to make a videogame of oots, whose fans numbers maybe around half a million as far as I know.
    I don't really expect it either, but I wouldn't preclude the possibility of an adaptation just because the property is relatively obscure. There are a lot of factors that go into what properties get made. Consider that we still haven't got a Justice League movie -- largely due to the many and varied ways in which WB has dragged its heels, I suppose -- while Hellboy has had two.

Hellboy, of course, being a comic with a solid, dedicated fanbase that was nevertheless completely unknown to the public at large before the movie came out. Not so different from OotS in these respects.

OotS's art style would make it an unusual sell for a major console release, though, I feel. I could more easily see it as a Flash game or app made by someone smaller than Ubisoft.

19. - Top - End - #19

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    • Lost Vikings style puzzle game; take three team members each with their own talents through stages
    Oh, that would be so good if it happened! And just like in Norse by Norsewest, we could have several contrived, tongue-in-cheek reasons for why the whole party can't ever be gathered all at once.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    This would be the surprise of the century.
    I agree, Ubisoft releasing a game worth buying would be the surprise of the century.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I agree, Ubisoft releasing a game worth buying would be the surprise of the century.
    Yes, because Assassin's Creed, Call of Juarez, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Driver: San Francisco, the Far Cry series and the Prince of Persia series were all worthless games that weren't worth buying...

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I wouldn't agree at all, though I doubt they would do an OotS game.

Yes, most of those are the same series. Don't care. Brilliant series.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Just reading it, you can tell that it's a mistake.

Expect Ubisoft to keep pushing its thriller Watch Dogs and to release as-yet-unseen footage for games like South Park RPG, Order of the Stick, Rayman Legends, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist.
    "Release as yet unseen footage for games like" suggests that the Order of the Stick game would already have been out for some time and be getting new material. Or so I read it.

Edit: I wrote to them pointing out their goof. I wonder how many e-mails they've gotten about it already?
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2013-06-10 at 03:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Too bad they lost interest. Went they far enough to talk about the kind of game they had in mind?

Did they seem to really know what oots was about or were they just looking for a successful name to ride on? Maybe after the KS?
    All of the non-amateur contacts were years ago, before the Kickstarter. I think one had a traditional 4-person-party RPG with lots of plot and talking in mind, while the other was leaning more towards a one-character Diablo clone. And the third never got around to saying—they made a big deal of contacting me, told me they would set up a meeting after such-and-such a conference was over, then went silent.

The amateurs mostly want to make Flash action games, like the sort of thing you see on kid-oriented corporate websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Wouldn't a game about oots need some rights on D&D stuff?
    No more so than every other RPG ever made does.
    Rich Burlew

25. - Top - End - #25

Sadly, the current console gaming market is pretty harsh on 2D graphics.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    I can't speak personally for The Giant, but based on the existence of OOTS gaming miniatures, I don't think he'd find the idea of a 3D game completely abhorrent.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    You can capture the "stick style" in 3D easily. For example, check out the Giant's very own OotS Miniatures.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    You can capture the "stick style" in 3D easily. For example, check out the Giant's very own OotS Miniatures.
    Even better, with toon-shaded 3D.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

There's also the potential for a tablet version of the OOTS board/card game, there are a lot of excellent ipad conversions of board games these days (Eclipse, Catan, Ticket to Ride).

I haven't played it, so not sure whether it would be particularly suitable.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

The amateurs mostly want to make Flash action games, like the sort of thing you see on kid-oriented corporate websites.
    I think one of them actually finished a basic hack'n'slash version of that, which I distantly remember playing. Nothing amazing, but it was cool to see. Can't seem to find it anymore*.

I was thinking a Monkey-Island or Quest-for-Glory style adventure game might be the best fit in terms of tone and procedure, but those tended to be more of a solo affair, and within-party relations are a pretty significant factor in OOTS.

(On a related note, IIRC there were also talks about producing an OOTS animated series, which broke down over questions of creative control.)

EDIT: Actually, it's still here. My mistake.
    Last edited by Carry2; 2013-06-11 at 08:52 AM.