New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

confused My Questions I Hope Someone Knows The Answears On

just some i want to know:
    what level is the Order of the Stick around right now (the newest comics).
    why is Xykon or someone else necromancer not just killing all people in lots of citys, Animate Dead them all, and then use the big undead army to crush everyone? is there some rule about that in the D&D world i dont know?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Questions I Hope Someone Knows The Answears On

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm122 View Post
    why is Xykon or someone else necromancer not just killing all people in lots of citys, Animate Dead them all, and then use the big undead army to crush everyone? is there some rule about that in the D&D world i dont know?
    Yes, it's called "the Law of Random Adventurers Crashing Trough Your Door and Trying to Kill You", and apart from that, rulers tend to react when a large portion of their population is killed and animated, thus sending armies, strike teams and even more adventurers to get you.

For a reson more connected to the rules, well, there is the rule stating the maximum amount of undead you can controll at once (4 HD per level, but a cleric can command more via the use of rebuking/commanding them), so most necromancers wouldn't gain anything from trying to kill and animate an entire city, or even a smaller part of it.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

check the class and level geekery thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131219

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Whatever Rich wants them to be...in the general area of level 14-15 at this point, but it would be a mistake to try to pin it down further than that.
    Why would he do that? He has a plan to conquer the world already. If it fell through, at this point, he might be able to conquer the world with his sheer magical might as you suggest...but that's yet to be determined.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Whatever Rich wants them to be...in the general area of level 14-15 at this point, but it would be a mistake to try to pin it down further than that.
    Not quite. They have a level, and they use abilities according to that level. He also has them mostly statted out, but it's slightly flexible to allow for any necessary plot issues.

But it's not like you'll see Belkar suddenly able to cast spells as a ranger, or Elan spontaneously gaining 18 strength.

There's a thread that has them mostly statted out if you search for it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    Not quite. They have a level, and they use abilities according to that level. He also has them mostly statted out, but it's slightly flexible to allow for any necessary plot issues.
    I promise you I have never EVER spent one moment trying to write down the Order's stats. Everything is up in the air, all of the time, until I need to give them a specific ability.

And then I promptly forget that I gave it to them a week later.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I promise you I have never EVER spent one moment trying to write down the Order's stats. Everything is up in the air, all of the time, until I need to give them a specific ability.

I honestly don't think anyone, readers or characters will ever forget the image of an "invisible" Elan showing off his 18 charisma.
    My Pokemon
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

ok, that is pretty good arguments aganist my Make-A-Big-Zombie-Army-And-Teleport-It-To-A-Gate-And-Get-Control-Of-It if there is a limit on zombies. oh well...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WildPyre View Post
    I honestly don't think anyone, readers or characters will ever forget the image of an "invisible" Elan showing off his 18 charisma.
    And the squid-thingy scene about V's delectable intelligence?
    mmmm tasty....
    Dragons are real, buffaloes fly.
    Spoiler
    Show

The bunny rules, and so do I!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

A ginseng supplement might help that memory problem...

;)
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, thank you, I went and double checked the commentary where I thought I read that and it was NOT what I remembered. Sorry for mis-paraphrasing you.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Another (much less apropos) reason that that wouldn't work is that normally, it takes black gems worth 75 gp per HD (I believe) to create a zombie or skeleton. However, it may be that there's some homebrew or dedicated rule-forgetting in this world that lets you go without the material components (we've seen several instances of people animating dead without any sort of gems, but then, V never uses material components in her spells either; perhaps the gp is taken into account off-screen?)

Anyways, if you're high enough level to destroy cities with impunity, a crapload of one HD commoner zombies are going to do more to get into your way than to help you. I'm assuming that in Xykon's army, the number of possible undead was maxed-out, or nearly so, with all the clerics and Xykon putting a lot of effort into making and maintaining them. Further more, unless you're Ganonron, you can't teleport an army.

13. - Top - End - #13

Animating huge undead armies? Only with magic. Epic Magic.

Seriously. Normally, you control, what, 2 HD of undead per level? With epic magic, you could create a spell that raises tons of undead to serve you, but at some tremendous XP cost, not to mention a lot of ad hoc mitigating factors or roughly one hundred helping followers. I created an epic spell called "Legion" which basically raises up to 400 HD of undead over a 10,000 radius area as vampires to serve you. Vampires of long forgotten corpses clawing their way to the surface to serve you. It ends up at an insane spellcraft of like 700. Assuming that Xykon has some nice bonuses to spellcraft, and, like, 29 ranks, he could take 10 and get up to, let's be generous: 59. He would need tons and tons of casters contributing spells. If he burned 20,000 XP he could get rid of 200, but he still needs like 90 casters contributing 9th level spell slots, or 400 contributing 5th level. Something like that. It's insane. He could lower the Spellcraft DC by increasing the cast time, but who wants to spent 100 days just to raise an army of vampires? Like Xykon has the patience for that.

In summary, he would need to develop such an epic spell at a great cost to him, then for every casting, he would need a bunch of spellcasters contributing to a ritual, and to burn 20,000 XP.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pin View Post
    Another (much less apropos) reason that that wouldn't work is that normally, it takes black gems worth 75 gp per HD (I believe) to create a zombie or skeleton. ...
    25 per HD, but your general point stands.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

AND that's goin' in the sig!

Member of the Explosive Runes Fanclub!

Keeper of the Toy Piano in the Eric Fanclub!

Everything is up in the air, all of the time, until I need to give them a specific ability.

16. - Top - End - #16

BardGuy

Wow, this is surprising to hear officially. In that case, I'm amazed that Class and Level Geekery holds together as well as it does - I'd expect there to be inconsistencies all over the place. Maybe the Giant just has 3.5 in his blood, and it all just comes out right without any conscious effort.

Edit: And Xykon's spell list suggests that some of the characters in the strip get statted, at least partially.
    Last edited by Fitzclowningham; 2010-04-11 at 10:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    Wow, this is surprising to hear officially. In that case, I'm amazed that Class and Level Geekery holds together as well as it does - I'd expect there to be inconsistencies all over the place. Maybe the Giant just has 3.5 in his blood, and it all just comes out right without any conscious effort.
    It is not that hard to do if you play DND you will make mistakes even with characters that you have stats for.

As soon as thing get rough and poison is tossed in the stats change but mentally your dice do not.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, the characters hew closely to certain outlines.

That is, Rich may not remember or care that Haley specifically has Manyshot, but he's not going to write her doing anything that's incompatible with being Haley the greedy Chaotic Goodish archer rogue, and all the jokes have the general characteristics of "jokes written by Rich Burlew." If he made enough feat-related jokes, probably, sooner or later, we'd get to the point where the characters have shown more feats than they would have in D&D, but Haley's unlikely to randomly show up with Power Attack in one strip.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Impossible to say exactly. There are some clues (V only casting enlarge person mass on 13 soldiers) but the exact stats, abilities, skills, feat, and other character attributes are a mystery (Rich doesn't like to list them)

a) They'd probably be killed. One caster, even at high level, fighting a city of a few thousand people.
    b) You can only command a certain number of undead depending on your level.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    Impossible to say exactly. There are some clues (V only casting enlarge person mass on 13 soldiers) but the exact stats, abilities, skills, feat, and other character attributes are a mystery (Rich doesn't like to list them)
    Not only does he not like to list them, they don't exactly EXIST, according to what he just said in this very thread.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

and that is going in my sig too.
    Hello world. . .