New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darth Malack

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Darth Malack

So, as you all have probably noticed, there's been a ton of Star Wars references going on in the past few comics, specifically concerning those of Elan and his father of course. One character it seems may have escaped the scrutiny of most, that is Malack.

IMO, his name could be a vague reference to Darth Malak, the antagonist to the very popular game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

If correct, this could actually have a profound impact on the story. In KOTOR, the story goes like this: Darth Malak takes his chance on securing power by betraying his master, Darth Revan. This opens up the possibility that Malack actually betrays Tarquin if, for example, Tarquin decides to side with Elan at some point.

Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Darth Malack

A possible theory... I believe it has been thrown on here before, but not necessarily because of the Darth Malack angle... but yes, people have mentionned that their names are the same and with all the other star wars references... I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but I'm sure someone will have a link to it being mentionned.
    Bow down and pray to the God of Roads, for without his most Holy Paths, you would be forever doomed to travel through the Roadless Wilds.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Campaign
    My Own Hombrew Sci-fi RPG that is ever so slowly being constructed... SLOWLY! Heroes of the Stars Currently on Hold.

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for the Cool Avatar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Seems unlikely. It's just a name. The main protagonist is named Roy but I don't expect him to become an alchemist that specializes in Flame attacks and joins the military. Besides, unless it was in a film, most people wouldn't get it's a Star Wars reference. And the Star Wars references have died down a little.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    The main protagonist is named Roy but I don't expect him to become an alchemist that specializes in Flame attacks and joins the military.
    Of course not. He's Roy from Fire Emblem.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malak

It's not that hard to put the two together to get the name of an evil magic-user. Neither the Giant nor George Lucas were the first to do it.
    Last edited by DaveMcW; 2010-10-08 at 03:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Not that I agree with that theory, because I don't really have an opinion on the matter, but I feel I should point out that many of the people that think this have noticed that "Kotor the Paladin" is one of Malack's Macebook friends.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Has been suggested before. I think it's possible (though I think your suggestion that it would impact the story at all is ridiculous), but it rests on the assumption that the Giant has in fact played KotOR, which we really can't be sure of.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Well, I can certainly see Malack being a villain, for multiple reasons:

- The first syllable, "Mal" is not only french for hurt/harm/bad (depends on context/suffixes) but also used in some english words such as "Malicious" or "Malpractice" This alone is not enough to substantiate a Malack = antagonist theory, but is interesting to keep in mind.

- Albino. Don't get me wrong, albinos rock, but they are also staple villains in many JRPGs. True, you may have the odd albino protagonist, such as Haseo from .hack//G.U. However, most albinos in games are antagonists or at least supporting/recurring foes. A few examples from more recent games include Duke from Tales of Vesperia, Shuzuru from Phantasy Star Portable 2, Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles, and I really needn't continue.

***Please note that the two major albino characteristics are the white/silver hair and RED eyes. Please don't lop characters into this discussion that only have the haircolor, as many Sephiroth, Genis (Tales of Symphonia, party member,) Allegretto (Eternal Sonata, party leader,) and so on fans tend to do. These characters aren't albino and are thus irrelevant to the stereotype.

Honestly, there's a lot more, but I'm too tired to type it all tonight. I guess I'll leave it off with "may return as a recurring villain" after being inspired by the idea of "a pilgrimage to learn more about the other races" and using it as a front while travelling, looking for (insert goal here)
    You Are A:
    Lawful Good Human Fighter (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 17
    Dexterity- 18
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 18

http://easydamus.com/character.html

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ranylyn View Post
    - Albino. Don't get me wrong, albinos rock, but they are also staple villains in many JRPGs. True, you may have the odd albino protagonist, such as Haseo from .hack//G.U. However, most albinos in games are antagonists or at least supporting/recurring foes. A few examples from more recent games include Duke from Tales of Vesperia, Shuzuru from Phantasy Star Portable 2, Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles, and I really needn't continue.
    Felicia Day.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

I just hope Malack has some domain that allows lightning bolt.

BTW, Mal goes back to the ancient Latin malus, which ment bad(and apples. Hence how in the Garden of Eve story, the fruit is often an apple.)

and Latin leads to You're French Mal words, English Mal words, and many others, including Spanish mal, which sipmly translates into just bad.
    Last edited by Acero; 2010-10-09 at 12:48 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

At first I chalked it up to pure coincidence, but after the paladin named Kotor, I don't know anymore...

I think between Tarquin/Tarkin, Malack/Malak, and Kotor, there's a good chance that at least one of them is an intentional Star Wars reference. Of course all of them, 2 of them, or none of them are also possible. Maybe it'll be touched upon in the commentary. He has settled pop culture references in those before (Fruit Pie and the roach's Green Lantern joke spring to mind).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    At first I chalked it up to pure coincidence, but after the paladin named Kotor, I don't know anymore...

I think between Tarquin/Tarkin, Malack/Malak, and Kotor, there's a good chance that at least one of them is an intentional Star Wars reference. Of course all of them, 2 of them, or none of them are also possible. Maybe it'll be touched upon in the commentary. He has settled pop culture references in those before (Fruit Pie and the roach's Green Lantern joke spring to mind).
    What's funny is that I didn't even notice that before.

So much win...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranylyn View Post

You forgot Pete Wisdom from Venture Brothers
    awesome blues brothers avatar by strategos

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cisturn View Post
    You forgot Pete Wisdom from Venture Brothers
    His last name is White. He, like all characters on the show, have a symbolic last name.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by cdstephens View Post
    So, as you all have probably noticed, there's been a ton of Star Wars references going on in the past few comics, specifically concerning those of Elan and his father of course. One character it seems may have escaped the scrutiny of most, that is Malack.

IMO, his name could be a vague reference to Darth Malak, the antagonist to the very popular game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

If correct, this could actually have a profound impact on the story. In KOTOR, the story goes like this: Darth Malak takes his chance on securing power by betraying his master, Darth Revan. This opens up the possibility that Malack actually betrays Tarquin if, for example, Tarquin decides to side with Elan at some point.

Thoughts?
    It may have been a reference, but I doubt it will have any effect on the story. By the same token, you could claim that he had his mouth taken off, and thats why he wouldn't eat in public.

Also, on your signature. I'm pretty sure Donna didn't take her wall down just because of you.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lade View Post
    It may have been a reference, but I doubt it will have any effect on the story. By the same token, you could claim that he had his mouth taken off, and thats why he wouldn't eat in public.
    "Had his mouth taken off"? How is that possible? A mouth is a hole. You'd have to like sow it up and even then the hole would still technically be there.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    "Had his mouth taken off"? How is that possible? A mouth is a hole. You'd have to like sow it up and even then the hole would still technically be there.
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Malak

Specifically, there's a picture of him with his "jaw casing" removed. He got his mouth cut off by his master's lightsaber.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

Jaw, Darth Malak lost his jaw.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Malak

Specifically, there's a picture of him with his "jaw casing" removed. He got his mouth cut off by his master's lightsaber.
    Looks like his jaw was removed. Malack, as we've seen, has all the elements of his skull intact (unless his hood is hiding something).

20. - Top - End - #20

Well, my personal opinion is that it's a direct reference to Darth Malack, but that doesn't mean that the story will develop the same way (Tarquin's and Elan's interaction hasn't corresponded to the movies -- it wasn't "Elan, I am your father!" "Noooooooooo!", after all).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, on your signature. I'm pretty sure Donna didn't take her wall down just because of you.
    Was referring to Michelle Archer, not Donna. I'd tell you the story, but it's a bit off topic.
    Last edited by cdstephens; 2010-10-10 at 02:27 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

I've never played Knights of the Old Republic. The name was originally going to be Malachi, but I decided at the last minute that I didn't want names that were too closely related to any real-world religion. So I dropped the "hi" and slapped on a "k", which happily gave me a unique name.

And his "friend" Kotor was just random. I picked sounds that sounded like an ancient Conan-type warrior to me.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've never played Knights of the Old Republic. The name was originally going to be Malachi, but I decided at the last minute that I didn't want names that were too closely related to any real-world religion. So I dropped the "hi" and slapped on a "k", which happily gave me a unique name.

And his "friend" Kotor was just random. I picked sounds that sounded like an ancient Conan-type warrior to me.
    But....but....it was so perfect.....Malack....KOTOR....the Star Wars references.....

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If there isn't some kind of "law of unintentional references," I'm gonna have to write one up. I caught Howard Tayler on an unintentional Portal reference a couple years back...

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    If there isn't some kind of "law of unintentional references," I'm gonna have to write one up.
    There is. It's called "coincidences."

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

(Tarquin's and Elan's interaction hasn't corresponded to the movies -- it wasn't "Elan, I am your father!" "Noooooooooo!", after all).
    If anything it's the reverse, they started off on a good start while Luke started off hating Vader. Unless you want to count those few minutes where Elan thought he was just an evil general.

And thus people will still debate about Tarquin/Tarkin.

Who am I kidding? Malack and Kotor, too.

Still, good to have some clarification from Mr. Burlew.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by cdstephens View Post
    Was referring to Michelle Archer, not Donna. I'd tell you the story, but it's a bit off topic.
    PM. Meh, Meesh/Archer attracted enough attention anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    There is. It's called "coincidences."

Zevox
    But it seemed so likely! Ah well, all the best coincidences are I suppose.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

Coincidences are frightening and dangerous things.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Xykeb Zraliv View Post
    Coincidences are frightening and dangerous things.
    Especially ones of this precision ....

30. - Top - End - #30
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    And thus people will still debate about Tarquin/Tarkin.
    Tarquin is named after the king of Rome. It's a different name altogether, there's nothing to debate about.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~