New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Sleepless Domain: Magical Girls, Monsters and Mystery, oh my!

What is Sleepless Domain?

Sleepless Domain is a comic about an isolated city in the middle of a dangerous world filled with monsters. During the day, the city is perfectly safe. At night, however, the populace locks themselves inside as the city streets fill with monsters. The only ones who can combat these creatures are very special girls with the power to transform into Magical Girls!
    Link to the start.

Anyone else reading this? I'm hooked, and dying to learn more about what's happening. Any play-grounders have theories about the city/monsters/that one guy?

Spoiler tags for the sake of new readers, please!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sleepless Domain: Magical Girls, Monsters and Mystery, oh my!

Undine's face in the last panel of today's update is legitimately the scariest thing I've seen in weeks, and I'm not sure why.

Also, the "Tue/Thu" update schedule is a big fat lie, it's been Wed/Fri as long as I can remember, and not in a way that could be written off as time zone discrepancies, either. Grumble grumble.

I don't know what to make of our latest brief acquaintance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Undine's face in the last panel of today's update is legitimately the scariest thing I've seen in weeks, and I'm not sure why.
    It's... expressive, I'll say that! Scariest for me has to go to Mrs Watanabe... yeeesh.

Also, the "Tue/Thu" update schedule is a big fat lie, it's been Wed/Fri as long as I can remember, and not in a way that could be written off as time zone discrepancies, either. Grumble grumble.
    I assumed it was just time zone wonkiness. I still check on Tues and Thurs on the off chance of an early update.

I don't know what to make of our latest brief acquaintance.
    The one behind the door? Yeah, I'm guessing...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hid from Kokoro because magic baby powers? Not scared/smart enough to leave Starlight alone though.
    I'm also weirded out by the almost human appearance of it. First monster we've seen like that? Can't think of any others.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I started reading this comic because it is edited by Isabelle Melançon, and I really like her comic Namesake. So far, I'm enjoying Sleepless Domain. I also recommend Mary Cagle's other comics Kiwi Blitz and Let's Speak English.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I've been following this for a while- I like pretty much everything Mary Cagle makes, but Sleepless Domain is my favorite.

I really want to see more of Zoe and learn more about her. Right now she just seems like a very cute foil, but I'm expecting some kind of development at some point.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I started reading this comic because it is edited by Isabelle Melançon, and I really like her comic Namesake. So far, I'm enjoying Sleepless Domain. I also recommend Mary Cagle's other comics Kiwi Blitz and Let's Speak English.
    I stumbled onto Kiwi Blitz first, which led me to LSE and then Sleepless Domain. All fantastic works, but Sleepless Domain is easily my favourite of the lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    I've been following this for a while- I like pretty much everything Mary Cagle makes, but Sleepless Domain is my favorite.

I really want to see more of Zoe and learn more about her. Right now she just seems like a very cute foil, but I'm expecting some kind of development at some point.
    I'm curious about Zoe too. I kind of want her to stay as a non-combatant though, regardless of what her powers end up being.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

This is really good and Gwen has become my favorite!!

8. - Top - End - #8

I'd been hoping to learn more about Zoe, especially after we found out that she was the one Claire was referring to here.

....and I just realized from reading that page again, that when Undine says "I don't think it runs in the family," HP's expression is foreshadowing the recent revelations about her mother.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daknight View Post
    This is really good and Gwen has become my favorite!!
    Gwen is my favourite from Team Alchemical, for sure. HP is just so delightfully awkward at times though, she's a real show-stealer.

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I'd been hoping to learn more about Zoe, especially after we found out that she was the one Claire was referring to here.

....and I just realized from reading that page again, that when Undine says "I don't think it runs in the family," HP's expression is foreshadowing the recent revelations about her mother.
    That page is so good the second/third etc. time through! Makes me wonder what else I've missed in the way of fore-shadowing.

Kinda hoping there's gonna be a training montage ahead, tbh.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm now pretty hyped to see what Vedika's MG outfit (and hopefully transformation sequence) looks like. Also, what sort of limitations her power has that render it non-combat, because if it is was fairly functional long range telepathy it would make for a hell of a coordinator.

Also, keeping an eye on Cube's* twitter this month will reward you with a whole lot of adorable monster girls.

Also also, the Discord server for this comic has a lot of members and can be pretty entertaining, plus Mary hangs out in there often, in case you like interacting with creators. Quite a lot of hints and lore have been told there over time that I think most of the fans outside of it might not have noticed, such as the Wall Code, and stuff that Mary has in her head about the setting but might never make it to the comic proper, such as the Secret Twins.

*Mary often goes by Cube, or Cube Watermelon, in case someone is unaware.
    Last edited by danelsan; 2018-10-09 at 01:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

I keep coming back to this page because I find the nervous waitress and her outfit so absolutely gosh darn cute.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    I'm now pretty hyped to see what Vedika's MG outfit (and hopefully transformation sequence) looks like. Also, what sort of limitations her power has that render it non-combat, because if it is was fairly functional long range telepathy it would make for a hell of a coordinator.

Also, keeping an eye on Cube's* twitter this month will reward you with a whole lot of adorable monster girls.

Also also, the Discord server for this comic has a lot of members and can be pretty entertaining, plus Mary hangs out in there often, in case you like interacting with creators. Quite a lot of hints and lore have been told there over time that I think most of the fans outside of it might not have noticed, such as the Wall Code, and stuff that Mary has in her head about the setting but might never make it to the comic proper, such as the Secret Twins.

*Mary often goes by Cube, or Cube Watermelon, in case someone is unaware.
    Ooooooh, thanks for that. I'll lurk on Discord for a bit, already love this bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Word of Cod
    1. Monsters aren't dead MGs
    2. No time travel
    3. It's not a dream
    4. It's not Madoka
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberVael View Post
    I keep coming back to this page because I find the nervous waitress and her outfit so absolutely gosh darn cute.
    The BurgBerg logo is also super adorable, and exactly the kind of background detail I find disproportionately entertaining.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cube is really good at both adorableness and horror, which works great for this comic.

Also, YES, Zoetimes! I did not expected it, but I'm glad we got it. Though with Zoe and Claire together I might die of cuteness overload XD

14. - Top - End - #14

Definitely excited for more Zoe/Claire interaction. And as usual, the parents are being a lot more awkward than their kids about all things transition-related.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2018-10-20 at 06:05 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

I had a sleepless night just now, and I thought it was just natural to read this comic in that time.

Im still not sure what to make of this world yet, but thanks for the link. When I read the first chapter, I nearly quit - meh, just another magical girl in highschool drama, seen them come and go...
    But then there was this ridiculous high school tension, and I held out what would be different the other night. Oh goodness, I wasn't prepared. When this tragedy sank in, I was hooked. This is a highly advanced level of storytelling, and goes on my revommended webcomic list.

By the way, I would have liked to see more of Gwen and Sally interacting, but there's no crying over spilled (inked) blood I guess.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Spoon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hid from Kokoro because magic baby powers? Not scared/smart enough to leave Starlight alone though.
    I'm also weirded out by the almost human appearance of it. First monster we've seen like that? Can't think of any others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what makes that monster even creepier? Cube has said the limbs are not even real. The thing is more like a slug shaped vaguely like it is a humanoid

Also, Onyavar, maybe rewrite or spoiler-block your post a bit? The OP did ask to avoid spoiling new readers. Speaking of that early twist:

Spoiler
    Show

reminder: miss Cable is an author self-insert, thus this edit XD

17. - Top - End - #17

This telepathic conversation is cracking me up. I wonder what Tessa was looking for?

18. - Top - End - #18

RedKnightGirl

Aww, HP has an adorable crush on Undyne. I ship it.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

That fourth panel is the best. This is exactly why I like Cagle's art and stories.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Scarfy shooting up like a scared cat's tail is great.

Also, going back a bit, I'm immensely satisfied with the MG costumes and transformations for both Harley and Vedika.

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

I just finished chapter two.

And ... oh wow. That's ...

I like how her name is "Undine". Note how it can be pronounced :-)

EDIT: OK, so Iris / FlowerEye is actually Zoe. Hmm. I prefer the other name :-)

EDIT: Why am I reading Undine's text with Fluttershy's voice?

EDIT: "Team Not-appearing-in-this-comic" :-)
    Last edited by keybounce; 2018-12-03 at 07:20 PM.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Speaking of Undine's name pronunciation. Probably due to people often typing Undyne instead in the comic's Discord, one of the resident bots has an auto-reponse to Undyne that is an emote of this image:

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

This might be a job for ... TRAINING!

You're too positive.

The Meds Help!

...quite an interesting story, did not go anywhere where I expected a magical girl story to go.

EDIT: Wow, up to date already. That's fast once I got going.
    Last edited by keybounce; 2018-12-04 at 11:18 PM.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

24. - Top - End - #24

So, the cast page has been updated with a new character, Anemone. She has been appearing in the intersitional pages for awhile, but I don't think she was on the cast page until pretty recently.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

These sad Tessatimes are so tense, what with the prolonged cliffhanger over what the heck she has been doing after school and the damn shattering panels!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

It really has been, and I'm glad there's some place to articulate this stress. Unfortunately, there isn't much else for me to say about it because I have no clue where it's going.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

This has been one of my favorite series to let sit for a while and then binge every couple of months. The plot and art are amazing and I will be following everything this author does for the rest of ever but the plot is just a tad bit slow for me.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    It really has been, and I'm glad there's some place to articulate this stress. Unfortunately, there isn't much else for me to say about it because I have no clue where it's going.
    I have no idea either, though all the speculation in the Discord is fun to read.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

One thing I can say is that Tessa is probably saying this deliberately to drive away Rue. There are a million better ways to get Rue to show off her powers if that was the sole issue. And it may have to do with knowing that people are asking Rue about her.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

On the latest one:

1) AAAAAAA! HER!

2) I really do hope she is not
    Spoiler
    Show
    meta outside of interstitial pages
    though.