New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What if we could swap sexes at will?

And especially good for anyone who is genderfluid.

Quote Originally Posted by lord pringle View Post
    It seems like it would be really good for anyone who is trans, and pretty fun for most other people. I personally would enjoy being able to become a woman for a bit, and just seeing what it was like.
    )(-EY BLU-E BOY
    CATC)(
    *throws 2x3dent*
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Tortoise View Post
    )(-EY BLU-E BOY
    CATC)(
    *throws 2x3dent*
    Most peculiar. Homestuck reference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

I wouldn't mind that.. but only if we get the full Ranma 1/2 package and do a complete switcheroo whenever we change sex.
    No point in growing boobs and a vagoo if I'm still stuck with a beard, body hair et all.
    that said, I would probably keep it to the bedroom.. I mean..seriously, two wardrobes, make-up and a period? no thanks. I'll be keeping the male form for most practical purposes, just in case.
    Last edited by dehro; 2014-01-23 at 03:40 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Most peculiar. Homestuck reference?
    Indeed a homestuck reference.

As for the originally stated what if, Hell to the yes. I would like this world very much. Mind you I'm sure us humans would probably work out some way to divide up and discriminate aanyway. but still, I can be female at will? hell yes?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alad View Post
    Indeed a homestuck reference.
    Thought so. The only other possibility was likely illicit substances.
    On topic, even if this was like Narbonic, I'd still be all over this. Been able to feel right about my body would be such a relief, even if it did mean cramps, periods and other such things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    It would be decisely more fun.
    Indeed.
    Even if honestly I don't think I would actually do it, the idea might sound interesting but I feel it would be sort of traumatizing, I'm very attached to my body and physical appearence.
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesŕ!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    So, since the "What if we were hermaphrodites?" thread was kind of popular there's a related question I've been asking myself:

What if every person could choose their genderSex? Yeah, I guess it kid of comes down to the specifics of how this would work but let's imagine the biologically least plausibly case of everyone having a male and a female identity and just being able to transform into the other at any point in time. (Though, we should probably exclude all kind of kinky ideas this scenario might give rise to )

Obviously, this is all based on speculation but I'm just curious what you people think and what you personally would do if you were able to just become (fe)male whenever you want.
    Fixed an issue in there for you

Snuggling would be better for everyone, I imagine. Is "Androgyne", "Hermaphrodite" and "non-sexed" on this list, or is it just switching between male and female?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Well, first I'd change into female and play with my new grown boobs all day. All. Day. The the other bits woudl deserve some attention and then I'll consider the cost of having a second complete wardrobe and change back into man quickly becuase well, yeah.. (no seriously, I don't wear them often, but every time I do, I promise myself I need to wear them more because they are just that awesome).

Oh, and by the way I guess this changing sexes thing also counts for bodystructure and appreance. Else you'd just have a male bodystructure with some bits changed out, or a womans body with some bits swapped. (I'm thinking of bonestructure, muscular and bodyfat structure, etc.)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Fixed an issue in there for you

Snuggling would be better for everyone, I imagine. Is "Androgyne", "Hermaphrodite" and "non-sexed" on this list, or is it just switching between male and female?
    Ah, I try to keep using the proper terms but I must have slipped there, sorry.

Well, I was originally considering only the "usual types". (I'm not quite sure what would even qualify as an androgyne sex to be honest.) But I guess if we are using magic powers we might as well make all available. (Even though the hermaphrodite option to me always seems to be more some weird fetish than something people would actually aim to be or date (no offense to anyone who this applies to, of course. I just... never really encountered it outside of pretty weird stories))

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    Well, first I'd change into female and play with my new grown boobs all day. All. Day.
    Not that I disagree but maybe your female self would be very flat chested. Not that there's anything bad about it but I guess it wouldn't be much of a new sensation then.

Oh, and by the way I guess this changing sexes thing also counts for bodystructure and appreance. Else you'd just have a male bodystructure with some bits changed out, or a womans body with some bits swapped. (I'm thinking of bonestructure, muscular and bodyfat structure, etc.)
    Yeah, the idea basically is... well, your Y chromosome is now an X chromosome (or vice versa) And your body changes accordingly. (All other problems like how your body structure is obviously dependent on your life style to a large extent are solved by magic, again)

tangent: I guess this could actually work somewhat biologically if we'd inherit both sexual chromosomes from our father and depending on the current sex one would be active and the other not. Of course then the gender swapping humans would need three sex defining chromosomes (one from the mother's side and two from the father's which ca be turned on and off. And then a "male" gender swapper would pass on his Y and one of the X chromosomes to his children... On the other hand, there is little reason to argue why one X can be turned on and off and the other not, so maybe you'd have three possible Identities X1/X2, X1/Y and X2/Y... I should not try to figure out he biology of these people.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

It really wouldn't change much biologically if you just switched chromosomes, though. Once the base structure is there, it's there.

And I presume androgyne and 'no sex' would be the same, myself, but who knows?

And Socratov, I hate to say this, but you'd be disappointed. If your breast area isn't an erogenous zone now, it wouldn't be when you switched; it's still just your skin and you still lack the inclination to consider it a special area if it's not already.

Also, guy clothes tend to fit girls with ease, so no wardrobe issue unless you make one.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

There are fish who do this. The largest, dominant fish is of one sex (depending on species, this can be male or female) and when they die the largest of the remaining school take their place.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

And Socratov, I hate to say this, but you'd be disappointed. If your breast area isn't an erogenous zone now, it wouldn't be when you switched; it's still just your skin and you still lack the inclination to consider it a special area if it's not already.
    Really? I always naively assumed that was one of the places that was fairly different based on sex. eh, you learn something every day.
    Last edited by Alad; 2014-01-23 at 07:17 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

At will? Yeah. I'd go for that. A couple of years ago, I would have agreed with my trans* friends here and said I would switch and never go back.

But after ten years since choosing to remain a male, I don't think I could stay a woman forever. There are some things that I have come to enjoy about being male.

But as far as the philosophies behind it, would there even be gender discrimination?

Example:

"Sorry, ma'am. But you need to be a man to join the army and go fight the invaders."

Lady changes into man. Goes into army. What stops him from changing back after getting in? Would it even matter? I for one don't think so.

Would we still need gender identities? I don't think so. We would be one species.

But, and here is a question for you. Would this new species have a new case of dysphoria? The people who wish that they could not change at all? To remain one gender, all the time?

Because dysphoria doesn't discriminate....

Edit:
    Really? I always naively assumed that was one of the places that was fairly different based on sex. eh, you learn something every day.
    Nope. If you're sensitive and like playing there before, you'll like playing there after. If you don't, well. You may try it anyway, just for the sensation, but odds are it won't do anything for you.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2014-01-23 at 07:20 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post

But as far as the philosophies behind it, would there even be gender discrimination?

Example:

"Sorry, ma'am. But you need to be a man to join the army and go fight the invaders."

Lady changes into man. Goes into army. What stops him from changing back after getting in? Would it even matter? I for one don't think so.

But, and here is a question for you. Would this new species have a new case of dysphoria? The people who wish that they could not change at all? To remain one gender, all the time?

Because dysphoria doesn't discriminate....
    See, initially I went "wooh no discrimination", then my misanthropy kicked in and i realized that humans would totally discriminate and exclude based on which sex you preferred to be ect ect
    "BECOMING FEMALE IS A SIN FOR ALL OTHER THAN PROCREATION"
    ect. ect. or maybe I just have a grim world view.

Nope. If you're sensitive and like playing there before, you'll like playing there after. If you don't, well. You may try it anyway, just for the sensation, but odds are it won't do anything for you.
    The more you know.
    Last edited by Alad; 2014-01-23 at 07:24 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Hormones and stuff change sensitivity, but not cerebral reaction. It would go from being weird to being weird and also tickling, but there is no programmed "this is arbitrarily sexy", which I surmise from the number of women who don't really have that erogenous zone and just sort of let their boyfriends play with them because the boys want to and the girls don't care one way or the other.

Really, it's one of those cultural differences that arise from considering women a different race or a subspecies; if you stop to think about it, it's saying that all women have a different sense of touch than all men. Which is vaguely true in the skin thickness/sensitivity/hormone sense, but not enough that they have sensations the menfolk can barely contemplate or fathom.

An alternate interpretation is that more men have erogenous boobs than they are given credit for though. XD

And, yeah. Would totally still have prejudice, in fact, worse prejudice.
    All likelihood, females would still be for breeding, because why give up being physically stronger in order to have curves?
    More humorously, we'd all be Wyfweres! A race of women who assume the Andro– or "war form" when angered, and are probably vulnerable to silver. Or chocolate. Or diamonds. Or whatever you want to bribe/calm is down with

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. It is hard to say for certain. After all, the entire society would have been built up around that one fact that we can be whatever we want. Who are we to say what the norm would be? And it could even come down t the ratio of men to women would be the same.

It's hard to say when we can't choose but to view this from the outside with eyes trained by our experiences and prejudices.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

It depends a lot on whether this has been something that has been around since days of yore, or whether it's something that suddenly turned up recently.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

It really wouldn't change much biologically if you just switched chromosomes, though. Once the base structure is there, it's there.
    That's where the magic comes in

Hormones and stuff change sensitivity, but not cerebral reaction. It would go from being weird to being weird and also tickling, but there is no programmed "this is arbitrarily sexy", which I surmise from the number of women who don't really have that erogenous zone and just sort of let their boyfriends play with them because the boys want to and the girls don't care one way or the other.

Really, it's one of those cultural differences that arise from considering women a different race or a subspecies; if you stop to think about it, it's saying that all women have a different sense of touch than all men. Which is vaguely true in the skin thickness/sensitivity/hormone sense, but not enough that they have sensations the menfolk can barely contemplate or fathom.

An alternate interpretation is that more men have erogenous boobs than they are given credit for though. XD
    While I guess it makes sense I'd assume Socratov's (male) mind set would just enjoy the feeling of shapely, squishy, warm breasts in his hand, no matter how his breasts might feel (unless he in fact has a sensible area there)
    Though, couldn't you make the argument that proper fondling would be kind of like a massage? Well, there aren't really prominent muscles in breasts, so I guess that's kind of a moot point as well. Maybe some women just enjoy it because it is a (kind of weird) way for their SO to admire their bodies. Or it really is mostly a male fantasy and I'm just trying to justify male's weird interests

Well, I guess you could always decide to not change and we can't say for sure whether there would develop social rules forcing you to change against your will on certain occasions. But then, people will always find reasons to be unhappy. Or make others. I guess the human mind can easily come up with ways to ruin the skill.

And, yeah. Would totally still have prejudice, in fact, worse prejudice.
    All likelihood, females would still be for breeding, because why give up being physically stronger in order to have curves?
    More humorously, we'd all be Wyfweres! A race of women who assume the Andro– or "war form" when angered, and are probably vulnerable to silver. Or chocolate. Or diamonds. Or whatever you want to bribe/calm is down with
    Having curves is cool? I guess it - again - is far fetched to speculate on sexual preference in such a species but if you just find the female form much more attractive (on yourself (and others)) why give it up? For a mediocre increase in strength and height? If you want to reach the top shelf just switch if necessary or if your groceries are too heavy. (Well, I guess you'd be required to wear uni-sex clothing at least)

I think I'd go for chocolate... least expensive and at least they are tasty. Silver and diamonds are pretty useless
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Hmm. It is hard to say for certain. After all, the entire society would have been built up around that one fact that we can be whatever we want. Who are we to say what the norm would be? And it could even come down t the ratio of men to women would be the same.

It's hard to say when we can't choose but to view this from the outside with eyes trained by our experiences and prejudices.
    Well, if everyone had the capacity to shift form (even between male and female) at will, sexual dimorphism exists. On a person who does X arbitrary exercise units, the male form will be proportionally stronger for the same regimen I am told. So a bias would definitely form; the only question is whether it's a society of men who can girlshift, women who can boyshift, or if it depends on culture.

I'm still going to vote for my society of lesbian werewolves, though, and no amount of logic or reason is going to stop me. u.u

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

I think this is true, although I have little data.

A status thing? I'm so well-trained I can be female and still be physically strong. Also, there are other advantages to being female - living longer, for instance.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2014-01-23 at 08:50 AM.

― Tim Fargo

21. - Top - End - #51
    Colossus in the Playground

Would we still need gender identities? I don't think so. We would be one species.
    I think this really begs the question of do we need gender identities as it stands? It is already possible for people to have gender identities that have nothing to do with their biology, and gender identities are really treated as social constructs. I also understand, there exist people who don't really identify one way or another (people with varieties of autism or asperger's apparently lack a sense of self, much less a sense of gender, for instance). So, hypothetically, would it not be possible for gender identity to not exist as a thing if everyone were like the people who lack gender identity?

Because if a lack of gender as a societal construct were possible with the current physical spectrum of sexes, I surmise it would be the same if everyone were all sexes. That said, people can already have gender identities that do not mirror their physiology. Provided we still had some sorts of concepts for the various sexes, having the ability to switch gender wouldn't probably alter our gender identities meaningfully; according to what I've read on the subject, a gender identity is after all something we form when we're very young and something that is influenced by both, biology and society.

So if we didn't constantly change sex as babies (would we? I suppose it depends on how exactly this thought exercise functions), we'd still have the same biological stimuli on that front; social stimuli would depend on how the people raising us would act I suppose, particularly which sexes they'd opt to use for how long.

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    A status thing? I'm so well-trained I can be female and still be physically strong. Also, there are other advantages to being female - living longer, for instance.
    It would be interesting to see how different your thought processes would be with each sex, assuming the transformation extends to brain too. It could be very convenient to be able to switch between having more streamlined, focused thinking or more lateral, intuitive basis (of course, I fully expect it wouldn't be from an extreme to another but rather a slight nudge in the other direction; still most likely quite useful for solving various intellectual questions)
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2014-01-23 at 08:55 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Need? For what purpose?

We can now switch hair color at will, yet there are still stereotypes about different hair colors.

― Tim Fargo

23. - Top - End - #53

DruidGuy

I would jump at the opportuniy to escape conscription.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Also, guy clothes tend to fit girls with ease, so no wardrobe issue unless you make one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    That's where the magic comes in

While I guess it makes sense I'd assume Socratov's (male) mind set would just enjoy the feeling of shapely, squishy, warm breasts in his hand, no matter how his breasts might feel (unless he in fact has a sensible area there)
    Though, couldn't you make the argument that proper fondling would be kind of like a massage? Well, there aren't really prominent muscles in breasts, so I guess that's kind of a moot point as well. Maybe some women just enjoy it because it is a (kind of weird) way for their SO to admire their bodies. Or it really is mostly a male fantasy and I'm just trying to justify male's weird interests
    Exactly. It's no secret that men think that breasts have this magical power of enslaving (nearly) any heterosexual male. Call me weird, but yeah, they are kind of mesmerising to me...

On changing: well, that's where the method of changing kicks in and how much control we have over our transformation. One way would be to exchange the bits and pieces, another to actually alter the bone structure and body mass distribution. Women have relative to men less muscle and more fat, resulting in a different body type. So the method of changing would matter greatly in these matters.

On the topic of wardrobe: I think that adding breasts to wear in my suits might make the overall look weird (think about alignment of buttons, creases and folds, depending on body type the waistline, etc.). then again, a nice pari of jeans and a shirt shouldn't be too troublesome... Hell I've often seen that my shirts look better on my (ex)girlfriends then on me.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Exactly. It's no secret that men think that breasts have this magical power of enslaving (nearly) any heterosexual male. Call me weird, but yeah, they are kind of mesmerising to me...
    Ditto. In fact, one of the great thing about thermodynamics and the kinetic theory of heat is that boobs are constantly jiggling, if only slightly.

― Tim Fargo

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Ditto. In fact, one of the great thing about thermodynamics and the kinetic theory of heat is that boobs are constantly jiggling, if only slightly.
    May I put this into my collection of quotes I really like? this is bloody brilliant!
    Warlock Poetry?
    Better grab a drink...

27. - Top - End - #57
    Colossus in the Playground

This might be about many males simply not having experience with someone playing with their nipples/breasts or trying it themselves. I know I didn't for my first ~15 years but after sufficient sexual experience I can say I certainly react to stimulating of my nipples, and by extension the area around them (though the degree depends on the skill of the other participant, of course; done alone it does provide a degree of pleasure, but not all that much).

I would wager a guess many of the men simply haven't had a sexual partner with the know-how or one who'd think to play with a man's nipples. If I am correct, it's fully possible that the nipples of many of the men here are sensitive comparatively to a woman's, but the people just aren't aware of it (though I do believe male psyche is also less receptive to certain types of stimuli, but don't quote me on that one).

I believe a large part of that is cultural too; western culture seems to focus on womens' cleavage in particular quite a bit, to the exclusion of other areas considered erotic in many other cultures (the neck in Japan, for instance).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2014-01-23 at 09:36 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    I would wager a guess many of the men simply haven't had a sexual partner with the know-how or one who'd think to play with a man's nipples. If I am correct, it's fully possible that the nipples of many of the men here are sensitive comparatively to a woman's, but the people just aren't aware of it (though I do believe male psyche is also less receptive to certain types of stimuli, but don't quote me on that one).
    Huh? I'd think nipples are generally if not universally a erogenous zone. The discussion was more concerned with the breast rest(!) of the breast area, I think. (Obviously, tell me if I'm wrong)
    "What's done is done."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

May I put this into my collection of quotes I really like? this is bloody brilliant!
    Sure. Go ahead.

― Tim Fargo

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I would certainly experiment with having a swapped body, and at least try to use it to get around menstruation.

Might wind up spending a lot of time there. Boyfriend would do the same and reverse. How much would likely depend on how well or poorly androgens and estrogens interacted with our mental health, and how attached we were to the genders everyone currently knows us as.

If androgyne or hermaphrodite's an option certainly try that out too. Being able to kick sex hormones to the curve without negatively impacting health, or gaining the benefits of both and a body type that appeals to me? Yes, this certainly calls for experimentation.

I don't know how often I'd change once I'd figured out what I was most comfortable in. Suspect my gender identity and preferred bodies would be somewhat in conflict, so potentially often.