New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Will the Real Paladin Please Stand Up? [Class fix+1 PrC, 3.5, PEACH]

OHGOD I was looking at prestige classes before and forgot this wasn't Prestige. In any case, my point still stands for the proud Paladin, who my buddy Ramon has crossed with Favored Soul so many times I've stopped counting. In any case, this almost makes me want to play something besides a barbarian. Almost. You did an excellent job of taking him and beefing him up to account for everything he gets for standing on a razor's edge in vow-format. The Pragmatic isn't too shabby either.
    Last edited by DrWeird; 2010-08-18 at 11:23 PM.
    Et tu, Brute?

My home-brewed bootleg Homebrew

I tried to be reasonable and nice; but everybody wouldn't quit trying to turn every spellcaster into a Tier 1.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Will the Real Paladin Please Stand Up? [Class fix+1 PrC, 3.5, PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by DrWeird View Post
    OHGOD I was looking at prestige classes before and forgot this wasn't Prestige. In any case, my point still stands for the proud Paladin, who my buddy Ramon has crossed with Favored Soul so many times I've stopped counting. In any case, this almost makes me want to play something besides a barbarian. Almost. You did an excellent job of taking him and beefing him up to account for everything he gets for standing on a razor's edge in vow-format. The Pragmatic isn't too shabby either.
    Well, if you haven't looked at it in the past... *checks watch*
    19 minutes, I'd advise you do so. I beefed it up even more, and made it... actually rather barbarian-esque.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, I can see it has that rather powerful streak to it; it's never quite a barbarian, though - which is why I've always gone barbarian/cleric if I ever multiclassed in that direction, and not paladin - vows and super-goodness and potential falls have never been my shtick.

How-ever, this might just change my mind.
    Et tu, Brute?

I tried to be reasonable and nice; but everybody wouldn't quit trying to turn every spellcaster into a Tier 1.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

I might also recommend adopting a subjective vow system; that is, individual paladins, religions, and/or paladin orders may have their own Vows, which might be further modified by oaths to one's party, nation, or even enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I might also recommend adopting a subjective vow system; that is, individual paladins, religions, and/or paladin orders may have their own Vows, which might be further modified by oaths to one's party, nation, or even enemy.
    Oh, good idea. I'll include something along those lines. Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Oh, good idea. I'll include something along those lines. Thanks!
    It's a lot better than "Moral idealism or bust" in most games anyway :p It does tend to emphasize Law over Good, but since you'll get six different answers to the Good question from only five DMs, I see no issue with this.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

I really like this-there are maybe three things I DON'T like.
    I like alternate alignment paladins. It wouldn't take MUCH adjustment for me or a DM to modify. but hey.
    No Order's Wrath/Holy Smite on the spell list?
    And I don't like what you did with the Special Mount. I like that they get a Special Mount.

Other than that, aaaawesome work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    You'll get six different answers to the Good question from only five DMs.
    Can I quote that? XD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I like alternate alignment paladins. It wouldn't take MUCH adjustment for me or a DM to modify. but hey.
    Yeah, I'm working on those... but suffice it to say, they're going to be very different.
    No Order's Wrath/Holy Smite on the spell list?
    Well, they are mediocre spells... but, I suppose it wouldn't hurt.
    And I don't like what you did with the Special Mount. I like that they get a Special Mount.
    Oh? Why? In the end, it's essentially a special mount but better. You just have to blow a spell slot on it.

Other than that, aaaawesome work.
    Thanks!

Can I quote that? XD[/QUOTE]

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

In order:
    Okay, forgiven, you RULE.
    Hooray!
    I guess. It doesn't feel the same.

^_^
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

In order:
    Okay, forgiven, you RULE.
    Right now I'm working on a CN variant, specifically. That should be good for you, yes?

11. - Top - End - #131

Can I quote that? XD
    Go ahead ^_^

My extended homebrew sig

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Right now I'm working on a CN variant, specifically. That should be good for you, yes?
    Marry me?
    Hooray for polygamy!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

I'm hopefully playing one of these, and really really looking forward to it.

Here's my sheet if you wanna look at one that's built.
    playing in Seek the Sun: IC / OOC

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Marry me?
    Hooray for polygamy!
    I would totally make a joke pointing at specific groups here, but I'm afraid it's against the forum rules. But if I could say it, it would be the best joke, like, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulwer View Post
    I'm hopefully playing one of these, and really really looking forward to it.

Here's my sheet if you wanna look at one that's built.
    Cool beans!
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-08-23 at 06:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135

Yeah, I'm working on those... but suffice it to say, they're going to be very different.
    Would you mind not calling them paladins at all? Something that always bugged me, the original concept of paladin is a champion of righteouness, honor and justice (the concept not whatever they actualy were). Heck, they aren't even suposed to be specific god servants like many people seem to support. Nongood "Paladins" always left a bad taste in my mouth. It's like saying nonmagical wizard. Or pacifist fighter.

So if not too much please call them Blackguard or Rebeller or something other than paladin. That word has been raped enough already in my opinion.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    Would you mind not calling them paladins at all? Something that always bugged me, the original concept of paladin is a champion of righteouness, honor and justice (the concept not whatever they actualy were). Heck, they aren't even suposed to be specific god servants like many people seem to support. Nongood "Paladins" always left a bad taste in my mouth. It's like saying nonmagical wizard. Or pacifist fighter.

So if not too much please call them Blackguard or Rebeller or something other than paladin. That word has been raped enough already in my opinion.
    Mind? I don't intend to call it a paladin at all! Bleah. Really. Anyways, I'm going to make a CN alignment-champion tentatively called an anarchist (though suggestions for better names would be much appreciated. I'm looking at you, Lix Lorn), which will be a more glass cannon version, with some nifty little chaotic abilities (such as shatter at-will), and a NE one called the Vis Veris Vesica, which will be just fun, with both invocations and spontaneous spellcasting off of the whole sorc/wiz list, just very low level spells and very few spells/day (like, few as in 3.) Essentially the opposite of batman: instead of being able to overcome any challenge so long as he has time to prepare, this one will just always be prepared.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've never liked the idea of chaotic version of Paladins. Never really sat with me, and kind of defeats the purpose - then again, that's just my silly opinion; but what do I know? I'm just a dire bear with a medical degree.
    Et tu, Brute?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrWeird View Post
    I've never liked the idea of chaotic version of Paladins. Never really sat with me, and kind of defeats the purpose - then again, that's just my silly opinion; but what do I know? I'm just a dire bear with a medical degree.
    It's not a chaotic version of a paladin. It's a class all to its own that happens to have the strict alignment requirement of CN, full BAB, and divine spellcasting.

It's not a paladin. I want to make this very, very clear. I'm just posting it in the same thread because it's convenient.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-08-23 at 07:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

The Freeblade?
    Unfortunately, I can't think of anything better than Anarchist. XD

...message me the joke? Or use my email? I wanna know now. XD

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

The Freeblade?
    Unfortunately, I can't think of anything better than Anarchist. XD
    Meh, alright.

...message me the joke? Or use my email? I wanna know now. XD
    Actually, it wasn't all that funny. I was being ironical, in that I realized that really the joke wasn't funny at all. Of course, you'll still want to know what the joke is, but I probably won't tell you, so that will be even more funny. For me.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

How about the Iconoclast? It is a synonym of Rebel and has the right sound to it for a class name.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofOblivion View Post
    How about the Iconoclast? It is a synonym of Rebel and has the right sound to it for a class name.
    Meh... sounds a little clunky. I think I'm going to just shorten it to "Anarch".

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

You might be right. The only other class name I can think of that has Four or more syllables is the Barbarian, and that one is too ingrained to remove. Three syllables could be a good limit. I'll keep looking for something Interesting though.

EDIT: How about:
    The Malcontent
    The Dissenter
    The Separatist
    The Renegade

(Another long one, but less clunky)
    The Revolutionary
    Last edited by BladeofOblivion; 2010-08-23 at 08:07 PM.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

I think it should be the Browncoat. (Shot)

I know of a homebrew class called the Anarch. Is complex.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it should be the Browncoat. (Shot)

I know of a homebrew class called the Anarch. Is complex.
    I can't believe that you just managed to shove a Firefly reference into a PALADIN thread...
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

I can fit a Firefly reference into ANY thread. I use the word shiny often.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

...That you do. That. You. Do.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Well, 'tis a shiny word.
    [/offtopic]Like this is a shiny thread!

29. - Top - End - #149
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

How about Freethinker?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

That sounds like a criminal charge right out of 1984.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.