New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Does anyone else really want Tarquin to get absolutely bashed in?

Quote Originally Posted by VariableNature View Post
    And I guess I should make my position clearer: I like OotS. I like the writing. I like the way that Tarquin has been dealt with SO FAR. My only problem is that, the more I'm looking at him, the less I can see any real way that he can be "beaten".

Take Xykon and Redcloak, for example. Xykon gets defeated when his soul gets destroyed along with his body. Fair enough. Redcloak? Get past his fancy god-connection, and he's only flesh and blood.

*snip*

But for Tarquin, he doesn't seem to have an "I lose" condition. From the plan he detailed to Elan, he seems to have planned for everything. He's essentially the "perfect" bad guy, and that just rubs me the wrong way.

So. Too long didn't read version: I like Tarquin as a character. But I don't like that he seems to have no weaknesses.
    Of course Tarquin has weaknesses. He's strong and has pretty much unlimited wealth by level, but he's far from invincible. Even if he did regenerate immediately afterwards, the OotS managed to do a bunch of damage to him in a fight. It's not unreasonable to imagine that he could be killed. He's almost certainly much easier to kill than Xykon.

If I'm reading you correctly, what seems to be bothering you is that, if Tarquin were to lose at this stage in the game, he wouldn't care. That's what the plan he details to Elan seems to say. By being a King for decades, Tarquin already won the only game he was playing at, everything else is icing on the cake. If Redcloak dies without completing his Grand Plan, his entire life will have been wasted. Xykon would likewise be seriously miffed if he bit the dust before realizing his evil scheme. But Tarquin... even if Tarquin were to drop dead right now of a heart attack, he wouldn't consider it a loss. He's playing with house money at this point. If he keeps winning, good for him. If he loses, eh. He already accomplished everything he cared about anyway. It seems to me that it's not any real in-universe invincibility on Tarquin's part that's bothering you, it's the fact that if Tarquin were to lose, he by all indications wouldn't be that upset by it. And I have to ask - Why is that? Who cares how the villain does or doesn't view their ultimate downfall? Does it matter to anyone other than the villain himself? Should it? At the end of the day, dead is dead. The only way that Tarquin is unbeatable is if you accept his view of reality, his definition of "win" and "lose". I can't imagine that Roy, or Redcloak, or even most people, do. In their eyes, if he's dead and his plans are ended, then he's beaten. If you don't like Tarquin's terms, then why agree to play by them?
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2012-09-18 at 08:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Just a thought: given that Tarquin seems to believe that he'll be a legend after he's killed, wouldn't Elan be able to crush him - without combat, even - by telling him that he would be forgotten, or worse yet remembered not as a legend, but as a fool?
    I'm thinking of Geoffrey Chaucer, in 'A Knight's Tale', where rather than risk a physical confrontation (which he'd already proved he couldn't win), he tells his transgressors:
    "I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity."

Something like:

...No Dad, I won't do it.

T: ?

I won't tell your story.

Oh, I'll sing the praises of the Dragon Empress and the clever-but-tasty King of Tyrania in every tavern and inn on the Western Continent. I'll recite the ode of the shrewd rogue that survived a decade in the dungeons, dodging death, disease and selection for the gladiator arena at every turn. I'll even sing the sad ballad of the escaped palace slave that was hunted down and burned alive within the day, just for wanting to be free.
    But I will never - ever - tell the story of the general that secretly ruled three empires.

At best, you'll be the clown whose pants keep falling down during the annual children's play.
    At worst, you'll just be... forgotten.

T: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    >snip<
    I never said it was a logical fate for Tarquin. I'm still expecting him to meet an end to his plans sooner or later, but I'll enjoy his presence in the comic while it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Incom View Post
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I fully expect Tarquin to get stomped by Xykon pretty darn soon.

Until then, I'm going to continue to enjoy his presence in the comic.
    This, pretty much.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by NZNinja View Post
    Just a thought: given that Tarquin seems to believe that he'll be a legend after he's killed, wouldn't Elan be able to crush him - without combat, even - by telling him that he would be forgotten, or worse yet remembered not as a legend, but as a fool?
    Given Tarquin's dialogue in #763, it doesn't seem to me that Tarquin would mind being forgotten all that much. Sure, it's sub-optimal, but his stated plan before Elan arrived was to rule for three decades or so, and then die at the hands of some peasant, his name presumably lapsing into obscurity soon after. It wasn't until Elan arrived that the idea of his story living on forever as a legend really dawned on him.

Being remembered as the fool, though... that might be a different matter entirely.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VariableNature View Post
    And I guess I should make my position clearer: I like OotS. I like the writing. I like the way that Tarquin has been dealt with SO FAR. My only problem is that, the more I'm looking at him, the less I can see any real way that he can be "beaten".

But for Tarquin, he doesn't seem to have an "I lose" condition. From the plan he detailed to Elan, he seems to have planned for everything. He's essentially the "perfect" bad guy, and that just rubs me the wrong way.
    Well, Elan seems to have thought about some plan for that. I know it's Elan but still, I wouldn't dismiss it.

6. - Top - End - #36

So, what? That's the end of him then?
    Yeah, I guess. And after all that dramatic buildup.
    Laaaame!
    Indeed. We have tarried more then sufficient time here. Let us be on about our mission and speak no further of this "Tarquin" person!
    Who?
    ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like the character as it is and do not really think he needs to lose.

But I also think he is not that interesting anymore as his "Badass Thing" is simply overplayed and as such hope we're getting to a twist in the story where he becomes interesting again. That can but does not have to be him leaving the story by death.

It's the same I feel about Nale as well (just with the difference that I do not really "like" his character).
    Last edited by Winter; 2012-09-19 at 05:40 AM.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VariableNature
    So. Too long didn't read version: I like Tarquin as a character. But I don't like that he seems to have no weaknesses.
    No, he actually has a pretty big weakness: he's a lot weaker than the Xykon-Redcloak combo, who is after the exact same thing as him at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    If I'm reading you correctly, what seems to be bothering you is that, if Tarquin were to lose at this stage in the game, he wouldn't care. That's what the plan he details to Elan seems to say. By being a King for decades, Tarquin already won the only game he was playing at, everything else is icing on the cake. If Redcloak dies without completing his Grand Plan, his entire life will have been wasted. Xykon would likewise be seriously miffed if he bit the dust before realizing his evil scheme. But Tarquin... even if Tarquin were to drop dead right now of a heart attack, he wouldn't consider it a loss. He's playing with house money at this point. If he keeps winning, good for him. If he loses, eh. He already accomplished everything he cared about anyway. It seems to me that it's not any real in-universe invincibility on Tarquin's part that's bothering you, it's the fact that if Tarquin were to lose, he by all indications wouldn't be that upset by it. And I have to ask - Why is that? Who cares how the villain does or doesn't view their ultimate downfall? Does it matter to anyone other than the villain himself? Should it? At the end of the day, dead is dead. The only way that Tarquin is unbeatable is if you accept his view of reality, his definition of "win" and "lose". I can't imagine that Roy, or Redcloak, or even most people, do. In their eyes, if he's dead and his plans are ended, then he's beaten. If you don't like Tarquin's terms, then why agree to play by them?

Exactly. Tarquin has already "won". There's no way to take the past away, erase it, or change it.

Sure, at some point in the comic (and it won't be long in in-comic time), Tarquin will be "stopped" or "defeated". That won't change the fact he got to live like a king for a long while. As you said, he's playing with house money now.

His rabid hatedom won't be satisfied (and I don't care, I doubt Rich does either).

Also, am I alone in taking everything that happens in the comic really lightly? Seems to me that many of you seriously want bad people to get what they deserve... personally, I don't care, as long as the story's good (and I fully trust Rich on that point). Tsukiko's death, for example, was absolutely awesome. Xykon "going the extra mile" with the bouncing ball and Sapphire Guard was just epic.

If Rich could find a totally satisfying way to have Xykon win and the Order be defeated in the end (nearly impossible task obviously), I'd have no problem with that as a reader.

It's a stick figure comic telling us the story of six PCs in a roleplaying campaign. I won't take it personally when the DM/storyteller/"the forces of the OotS universe" tells me slaves have been nailed into position, oiled, and set on fire. It's the kind of thing that happens all the time in a D&D campaign at the hands of the bad guys. No big deal.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

: "Dad, you remember that guy who was killed by a housecat in the arena? In my song, his name will be Tarquin."

Tarquin: (Blanches, then recovers to play his last card) That doesn't matter. I've ruled the continent for decades. In my last moments, I take comfort in the fact that -"

Disintegrate. Gust of Wind. Now can we please resume saving the world?
    Last edited by Jay R; 2012-09-19 at 12:06 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40

RedKnightGirl

Exclamation Re: Does anyone else really want Tarquin to get absolutely bashed in?

Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    Tarquin's one weak point is being in denial of the fact that Elan is a comic relief character, and I guess his demise will involve that point in some way.
    This would be the thought that sends him to misery. He can not cope with the fact that Bard's are not ruleing the world since they have all the skills and chrasima.

Minor spoiler alert below:

I hope he and the big X meet and the big X sits on the thorne of his "just and noble" kingdom after bringing him down.

That is just the way the Big X role plays.
    Last edited by denthor; 2012-09-19 at 02:40 PM.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

11. - Top - End - #41

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
    So, what? That's the end of him then?
    Yeah, I guess. And after all that dramatic buildup.
    Laaaame!
    Indeed. We have tarried more then sufficient time here. Let us be on about our mission and speak no further of this "Tarquin" person!
    Who?

One up for you made me laugh. Good thing my co workers already find me out there.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

12. - Top - End - #42
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : "Dad, you remember that guy who was killed by a housecat in the arena? In my song, his name will be Tarquin."
    Ha! Yes, that's exactly the sort of thing I could see distracting Tarquin long enough to for someone to get past his defences.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

As a theater major Tarquins master plan gave me such a happy.

He's probably my new favorite villain. Ever. I don't care what happens to him in the end as long as the reveal is EPIC and he takes it like the Man he is.

10 gp says his last panel is him smirking and saying "Magnificent".

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

I'd rather see Nale bashed in. Tarquin is more fun than Nale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Well, you've pretty much explained my point better than I have in my first post. Thank you.

Now for the second part, as in "Why does it bother me". I suppose the simple version is "Personal taste". I love it when the villain or bad guy is essentialy forced to confront the fact that everything has crumbled before them, and they can't do a thing about it, i.e. the end of Death Note. Tarquin, as you stated, is playing with house money. And I recognize that he can be beaten but still say "Eh, I still had a fantastic run". But I, personally, would like it to be humiliating. To extend the metaphor, I want the house to take its money back, as WELL as what he brought originally. It's just a personal preference in how I like stories to be told, I guess.

Let me stress, I won't mind much if it doesn't go the way I want; after all, I'm not the author, and I trust that it will have a satisfactory conclusion. I'm sure that I'll probably even love it. I just am saying what I would do, if I were Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

Exactly. Tarquin has already "won". There's no way to take the past away, erase it, or change it.

Sure, at some point in the comic (and it won't be long in in-comic time), Tarquin will be "stopped" or "defeated". That won't change the fact he got to live like a king for a long while. As you said, he's playing with house money now.

His rabid hatedom won't be satisfied (and I don't care, I doubt Rich does either).

Also, am I alone in taking everything that happens in the comic really lightly? Seems to me that many of you seriously want bad people to get what they deserve... personally, I don't care, as long as the story's good (and I fully trust Rich on that point). Tsukiko's death, for example, was absolutely awesome. Xykon "going the extra mile" with the bouncing ball and Sapphire Guard was just epic.

If Rich could find a totally satisfying way to have Xykon win and the Order be defeated in the end (nearly impossible task obviously), I'd have no problem with that as a reader.

It's a stick figure comic telling us the story of six PCs in a roleplaying campaign. I won't take it personally when the DM/storyteller/"the forces of the OotS universe" tells me slaves have been nailed into position, oiled, and set on fire. It's the kind of thing that happens all the time in a D&D campaign at the hands of the bad guys. No big deal.
    I guess I was making too much of a deal of it earlier. I apologize for that. I just had some things I wanted to say and I got too carried away.

I fully trust Rich on telling a good story too; as I mentioned earlier, I LOVE the story so far. And while you are right about my complaints, i.e. I want to see him get what he deserves, I guess I'm starting to realize that that's probably not going to happen, at least not how I want it to. Tarquin has essentially won, as you've pointed out. Nothing outside of a Wish spell can stop that, and that would just be the easy and boring way out.

Well, here's hoping it turns out to be epic!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

No, I don't want him bashed in.

I want him turned to chunky bits of salsa like the Team Peregrine Commander.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

No, don't want anything specific to happen to him.

I really don't understand the "good guys must have total and complete victory over the bad guys" mentality.
    ... why?

Is this some kind of attempt to make up for reality where nothing of the sort happens?

I like stories where it actually seems like the villains might win. And I mean there is an actual possibility they will win not a Hollywood possibility where it is always "certain" that they will win right before they are defeated.

And yeah, he's definitely a fun character.

P.S. I admit I skimmed this thread, but a lot of people seem to be assuming life will be better for the people in Tarquin's kingdom with him dead. This does not seem at all clear cut to me. A lot of things could happen to the kingdom and indeed the continent if he just dropped dead right now.

18. - Top - End - #48

As fun as Targuin getting bashed in could be, what I would like to see is the one thing Tarquin would never get over, just to see the look on his/the reader's face.

Now this'd require some hard work on Rich's half to accomplish, and many fans would hate it, but there's one thing Tarquin would never be able come to terms with, the most ignominious way for him to die:
    Spoiler
    Show

by getting out-smarted by Nale.

Sidenote: my only problem with Tarquin is that he's getting a wee bit Sue-ish in his ability to get out of any situation, thus far. That and the narrative hoops the comic's jumping through to delay the Order from realising Tarquin and Malack have 'sided' with Nale.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I think alot of the hate for T is on account of the fact that people are reading the comic as it comes out and then discussing it for ever and a day.

Once this arc is finished and I can go read over it I have every confidence that it will make sense, that T being as awesomely prepared as he is will make sense and that it will further Elan's character development.

Not that T actually rubs me the wrong way. I think his character is fine and enjoyable. I just want things to move forward and to find out what is going on with X, Redcloak and Co. since they engage me on many more levels than T has had a chance to do thus far.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Honestly? I enjoy Tarquin far more then Nale. Nale was a one-shot joke of a character who has been stretched far to thin already by his pretentions of major villainhood - which would probably have been alright, if he hadn't continuously tried to insert himself vicariously into the foreground against the Order without pausing for breath. There's only a certain degree to which his 'Look at me, Daddy! I'm BAD!" brand of un-goaled evil can be tolerated, especially as it comes across with none of the wit or panache that even XYKON posesses in his megalomanical schemes.

Tarquin, by contrast, is not a villain in desperate need of a plot. He's already got one, and it's already been a success (by his terms) for decades. As a character he's interesting and likable, and as bonus, his own personal goals not only don't conflict with the current mission of the OotS, but he actively has a vested interest of his own to keep Xykon from conquering/Redcloak from destroying the world. He's a villain in the background material, yes, but in a sense he's not really a major villain of the OotS campaign. And whilst Rich could turn him into one, I don't really see how doing so would add anything to the story as a whole.

I'm personally hoping Tarquin sticks around long enough to be the villain of OotS 2: The Elan-focused sequal; and that Nale is the villain who gets 'Worfed' to demonstrate Xykon's power (if anyone really needed to be by this point n the game). Though I'd admit, Tarquin backstabbing Nale in a reflection of Nale's shanking of Elan would also make me smile in a 'just deserts' manner. But in the end, the plot is for Ritch to decide. And if he plans for Tarquin to meet his end by Xykon's finger of death two strips from now, I wouldn't object as long as it adds to the development of the ongoing tale.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Au contraire, I find Nale to be infinitely more captivating than Tarquin because he can actually be on the verge of defeat. Tarquin? *yawn*
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Given Tarquin's dialogue in #763, it doesn't seem to me that Tarquin would mind being forgotten all that much. Sure, it's sub-optimal, but his stated plan before Elan arrived was to rule for three decades or so, and then die at the hands of some peasant, his name presumably lapsing into obscurity soon after.
    That's his plan as stated to Elan, after Elan has attacked him. It always surprises me that so many people are willing to take him at his word on that point.

Personally, I believe he has absolutely no intention of dying like a good sport, either at Elan's hands or anyone else's. His plan is to live indefinitely, quite possibly becoming undead at some point. Killing him would be a defeat of sorts; consigning him to obscurity would be a bigger defeat; and killing him in such a way that he actually regretted some part of his former actions, would complete it.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    he has absolutely no intention of dying like a good sport,
    Yes, he does not. He stated that to Elan. He said he won't die unless Elan actually wins it. So what's the problem?
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

24. - Top - End - #54

ClericGirl

Aw, I love Nale. He has potential (high level in-universe, strong INT score), but he's so ridiculously inefficient. Intentionally or not, he's the Evil equivalent of our bumbling heroes, struggling to survive his ludicrous ambitions and the epic level plot, despite lacking the plot armour of a PC.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

I think it is perfectly plausible how prepared Tarquin is, and his whole no way to beat him thing is interesting. Honestly, I think any villain with 17+ Int should act like Tarquin in some way. And with enough resources and knowledge of the environment? A smart dictator would have a million contingencies. (Like, figurative contingencies. Not Contingencies...)

I've had D&D characters with as many back up plans as Tarquin and I am sure that my intelligence score would not be higher than Tarquin's.
    Last edited by SowZ; 2012-09-25 at 01:38 AM.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Yes, he does not. He stated that to Elan. He said he won't die unless Elan actually wins it. So what's the problem?
    The problem is people assuming that his original scenario of getting killed by some random peasant after a lengthy reign and fading away into obscurity was ever really Tarquin's plan.

Although I do believe that he cares much more about surviving in story then surviving physically.

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    Aw, I love Nale. He has potential (high level in-universe, strong INT score), but he's so ridiculously inefficient. Intentionally or not, he's the Evil equivalent of our bumbling heroes, struggling to survive his ludicrous ambitions and the epic level plot, despite lacking the plot armour of a PC.
    I kind of agree. Nale's a very unpleasant person, but he's enjoyable to read about, and he's probably the only villain in OOTS who I've really found myself "rooting for" in any real sense. I don't get why so many people seem to hate his very existence.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

I can see one way Tarquin will REALLY lose.

Xykon destroying the entire continent, beginning with torturing tarquin to death.

: Legend? What legend? The entire continent is dead!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Zoat View Post
    I can see one way Tarquin will REALLY lose.

Xykon destroying the entire continent, beginning with torturing tarquin to death.

: Legend? What legend? The entire continent is dead!
    The legend is icing. The cake is the lifetime of living like a god.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

: You know what? You don't even remember that now. That's right. I used Mind Rape. Screw you!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Zoat View Post
    : You know what? You don't even remember that now. That's right. I used Mind Rape. Screw you!
    Not the point (dead Tarquin wouldn't remember either). Outside Time Travel, there is no way how to make Tarquin lose in his own game.
    Last edited by Mike Havran; 2012-09-27 at 01:17 PM.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.